PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT: How Much Character Theming is TOO Much?

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I think everyone, the Disney Company most of all, realize any idea to keep the Disney characters out of EPCOT was a bad one.

We consider Character Connection one of our best trip secrets.

I like the placement of Disney characters, especially in World Showcase.

Our favorite place to greet Belle is in France but "Impressions de France" is just fine without her.

I think it's great to have Mulan doing meet and greets in the courtyard at China but please never move her to the movie pre-show area where they currently have real Chinese musicians playing real Chinese music.

The Taiko (drums) at Japan are facinating without Stich grabbing a stick and showing how he can disrupt the whole group.

And in the United Kingdom we'd rather meet Mary Poppins than eat Fish and Chips .

Clearly, The Living Seas was on the decline before its recent refurb.

I just hope they don't cartoon-up EPCOT too much. The question is, how much is too much?

magicman
04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
In World Showcase, I think it's great to have the Characters OUTSIDE the various countries; however, I think it would take away from hearing/learning/enjoying a country if characters were inside of the country's pavilion/show/attraction.

In the Future Section, I have no problem with characters being a part of the ride/attraction (I.e. if it was "Soarin' With Tinkerbelle", I'd have no problem).

My thoughts...

darthmacho
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
In World Showcase, I think it's great to have the Characters OUTSIDE the various countries; however, I think it would take away from hearing/learning/enjoying a country if characters were inside of the country's pavilion/show/attraction.

In the Future Section, I have no problem with characters being a part of the ride/attraction (I.e. if it was "Soarin' With Tinkerbelle", I'd have no problem).

My thoughts...

Well said, I agree with most, though I wouldn't want characters directly on the Future World rides, and don't think I'd want Tink on Soarin' though she is very cute. :tink:

Gator
04-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Disney has them well placed at Epcot. They have Nemo quietly tucked in the corner while they allow other characters to roam in thier respective native lands. It's certainly not too much. If there were less, I'd be upset. Went D-Land for 3 days once and only saw a few characters because I went on weekdays. Neddless to say, it stunk. It didn't feel like Disney without seeing a lot of Poppins, Donald, and The Beast.

SpecJoe Magic
04-17-2007, 02:39 AM
I like the Finding Nemo theme at the Living Seas because it was in desperate need of a change, and the theme is perfect because it doesn't feel forced. It seems like a natural and perfect fit. That is a rare case where Future World benefits from attractions based on Disney characters. I don't see a need for any more attractions based on Disney characters in Future World.

I agree that the character placement at World Shocase is fine, but I think that Gran Fiesta Tour is a bit too much. The countries that are represented at World Showcase don't need Disney characters to make them appealing. The point of World Showcase is to experience a small sample of each culture. Basing attractions at World Showcase on Disney characters detracts from what the culture is about. Having the Three Caballeros all throughout the ride at Mexico turns it into a cartoon, and completely destroys the feeling of cruising in Mexico. It doesn't seem authentic anymore. I understand that it's not ideal to be void of all Disney elements within World Showcase, but World Showcase should be authentic for the most part.

magicofdisney
04-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I remember a time being at Epcot and NOT seeing any characters. It certainly didn't make me upset. Not that I'm against them being there, but for me Epcot is less about Disney characters. If I want to see characters, the MK is just a monorail ride away. :mickey:

Grizz16
04-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I remember a time being at Epcot and NOT seeing any characters. It certainly didn't make me upset. Not that I'm against them being there, but for me Epcot is less about Disney characters. If I want to see characters, the MK is just a monorail ride away. :mickey:

exactly

Jeri Lynn
04-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I was wondering how the Grand Fiesta Tour in Mexico would be...I saw some pictures and I'm not sure I like the idea of cartoon characters showing up in the ride, it seems like they should have kept the characters out and updated the ride in a different way...

wjrhw
04-17-2007, 08:17 AM
I like the Finding Nemo theme at the Living Seas because it was in desperate need of a change, and the theme is perfect because it doesn't feel forced. It seems like a natural and perfect fit. That is a rare case where Future World benefits from attractions based on Disney characters. I don't see a need for any more attractions based on Disney characters in Future World.

I agree that the character placement at World Shocase is fine, but I think that Gran Fiesta Tour is a bit too much. The countries that are represented at World Showcase don't need Disney characters to make them appealing. The point of World Showcase is to experience a small sample of each culture. Basing attractions at World Showcase on Disney characters detracts from what the culture is about. Having the Three Caballeros all throughout the ride at Mexico turns it into a cartoon, and completely destroys the feeling of cruising in Mexico. It doesn't seem authentic anymore. I understand that it's not ideal to be void of all Disney elements within World Showcase, but World Showcase should be authentic for the most part.

I feel the same way about Mexico. The reason I liked that ride so much was because it was so strange I felt like I was in another country. I could forget I was at WDW for a few minutes. That was a big plus for the ride in my opinion. I love Disney, but Epcot was a great place to go to get away from the standard Disney characters for a break. I do enjoy the characters around World Showcase. That part is very well done.

Ian
04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
IMO, as long as the characters are seemlessly integrated with the attractions and the blending makes sense and doesn't feel too forced, I'm fine with it.

Like Living Seas with Nemo is pretty much a perfect match. The key is that the attractions use the characters in such a way as to retain Epcot's original goal of educating people, but in an entertaining way. Nemo sort of had a conservation/respect the sea message, so it fits with the education aspect of Epcot.

Now if they decide to redo Spaceship Earth and make it Buzz Lightyear's Spaceship Earth or something, that won't work. Toy Story really didn't have any kind of educational message to springboard from.

LauraSAnne
04-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I think a lot of those who LOVE Disney, don't realize that a good chunk of the population has no interest in characters. I consider myself a huge Disney fanatic, but I have no attachment to the characters what-so-ever. What's been nice about Epcot is the lack of characters in my opinion, and I think that might be an aspect that might draw in those who are less thrilled with the idea of Disney characters everywhere. I DO like the characters outside of the various countries, but part of the appeal of having multiple parks, is having a different experience in each one. I like that Epcot steps outside of the whole character saturation (which I say with complete respect). Having a park like that, isn't a bad thing.

People like different experiences, so those who like to meet and greet characters know which parks are good for that, and those of us who have no interest in that, don't mind having a park to go to where characters aren't a common theme. Hope that all makes sense :thumbsup:

Marker
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I can understand the sentiment that there should be no (or at least few) characters in Epoct. I also enjoyed the "educational" feel that once was EPCOT CENTER.

Although I am a huge fan of EPCOT, what it is, and what it once was, I am typically there alone. There rest of my family doesn't enjoy Epcot as much as I do, and typically leave much sooner. However, since the addition of Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin', etc, I can at least get my family there for at least part of a day.

Now then my family is all grown, and they don't like it. KIDS, are just not going to be as likely to get into Epcot. Walking around World Showcase, looking at shops, food, and cultural aspects of the various countries represented are just not what many KIDS will see as fun. I think the interjection of some characters, could very well provide a hook that KIDS can enjoy, thus keeping them there longer, and likewise keeping their adults there longer. If they can successfully blend the characters (fun) with the educational bits, then perhaps the outcome will not only be keeping people in the park, but also exposing the KIDS to the "educational bits".

I know the Epcot purists probably disagree, but I can definitely see a good side to the introduction of Characters. You know, ofter we cast our judgements based soley on what we want for ourselves. But Disney Imagineers have to look beyond that limited view, and see the bigger picture. And if that bigger picture is more friendly to kids, then frankly I'm all for it.

I keep wondering why they haven't tied in Jiminy Cricket more. Remember all of his "educational" bits, i.e. "I'm no fool, no sirree". To me it would be a great hook for a character. As an example I could see replacing Ellen with Jiminy.

magicman
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I keep wondering why they haven't tied in Jiminy Cricket more. Remember all of his "educational" bits, i.e. "I'm no fool, no sirree". To me it would be a great hook for a character. As an example I could see replacing Ellen with Jiminy.

Great thoughts on Jiminy Cricket. I wonder if there could be a "Pal Jiminy" for EPCOT that you could be used for an EPCOT Tour of the World Pavilion?

Also, whether it be replacing Ellen or just upgrading the Universe Of Energy, something needs to be done to improve this "attraction". It seems to me like an oil company might be able to spring:spend: for some upgrades...they MIGHT have an available dime.;) :D

The Bookseller
04-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Now then my family is all grown, and they don't like it. KIDS, are just not going to be as likely to get into Epcot. Walking around World Showcase, looking at shops, food, and cultural aspects of the various countries represented are just not what many KIDS will see as fun. I think the interjection of some characters, could very well provide a hook that KIDS can enjoy, thus keeping them there longer, and likewise keeping their adults there longer. If they can successfully blend the characters (fun) with the educational bits, then perhaps the outcome will not only be keeping people in the park, but also exposing the KIDS to the "educational bits".

I can't agree more! For some kids, World Showcase is a big world of boring. By adding charaters who are appropriate to the setting in a "Respectfull manner" for the pavilions is the way to go. Besides, I find easier to meet and talk to the characters outside of the crowds of MK.

Gotta love Belle in France! :cloud9:

TIdoubleGR
04-17-2007, 11:49 AM
While I appreciate the characters and can respect how Disney is infusing them in order to make Epcot more accessible to a wider audience, I'm more of a fan of less characters in Epcot. For me, MK & MGM are more about the art, animation, and story, while Epcot embodies more of Walt's ideology itself.

future_imagineer
04-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Agreed.

The wand on top of SSE is a complete mess - an insult, if you ask me, to Walt Disney and the original concept of Epcot. Also, I really do not like the new Nemo concept of Living Seas - but that is probably because Pixar is completely overdone at WDW anyway. And I could do without Tink on Soarin', but that came from DCA, which is more friendly to characters than Epcot. I also don't mind the characters in the respective WS countries - like has been said earlier, it nicely opens up the world (showcase) within the (Walt Disney) World within the (real) world to audiences who would otherwise not be interested. Disney is able to tie education into fun quite nicely.

lightyearfan
04-18-2007, 01:17 PM
we also enjoy the character connection at the parks, and although Epcot seems to have the fewest , the few that they do have, are placed very nicely, i don't think that Future World needs any characters as they're isn't really a need, but it would be nice to see Mickey in a space suit greeting you as you walked off Spaceship Earth.

Victor

Main Street Jim
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
In my opinion, EPCOT Center was never designed around the characters, and I don't feel like they should be in that park. The only characters that should have stayed were the *original* Dreamfinder and Figment. With the characters there, it feels "too close" to Magic Kingdom, which is the park in which Walt wanted his Disney characters to come to life. I miss the "old" EPCOT - sans characters.

cetacean01
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I really enjoy the Disney characters, they are why I fell in LOVE with disney to begin with.
That being said, I think characters should be introduced to an attraction if its a natural fit.
I would love to see CARS incorporated into test track. I think something should be done with "Imagination", imagination is what fuels Disney creativity, characters should be there along side Figment.
I think the World showcase is fine wiht what they have, but I dont think a Mulan ride is needed per se. Although with a little creativity, it might fit.

dixielandings
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
With the characters there, it feels "too close" to Magic Kingdom, which is the park in which Walt wanted his Disney characters to come to life. I miss the "old" EPCOT - sans characters.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it feels like Epcot is trying to walk around in shoes made for DL or MK, and it just doesn't work. I know change is inevitable, but I miss the "old" Epcot - there was literally nothing like it anywhere.

I'm dreading the Gran Fiesta thing - El Rio del Tiempo was one of my favorite secret diversions.

Mickey91
04-19-2007, 11:45 AM
The Characters only take away from EPCOT if you let them. See them for what they are. Added pleasure for the young at heart. I don't think they need to be in the World Showcase presentations. But, having characters at EPCOT for signing is actually fun!