PDA

View Full Version : proximity to MK and Epcot with little kids

chip2
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
We are planning a first time trip to WDW in Feb 08 with our 5 and 2 year old sons. I've had my heart set on AKL for reasons I'm sure I don't need to explain. The only thing holding me back from booking the trip is proximity to MK and Epcot. A 2 year old still needs to nap, so I'm wondering if WL would make more sense. Travelling to and from the "kiddie" parks would be shorter and easier for dining etc... In other words, do you more experienced folks think AKL is inconvenient with little children? Thanks so much for your help.

CAS
04-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm assuming you're using Disney bus transportation. To be honest, when you factor in the bus schedules, any traffic, etc. you get very similar transit times nomatter where you stay (anywhere from 5-20 mins I suppose). We just got back from WDW with our 2 yr old and the bus transit times were the least of the issues that arise with a 2 yr old.

We went back daily for naps around 1:00 then returned to action around 6:00 after dinner. Truthfully, that's what we do when we're by ourselves also :)

I would recommend most knowing that a 2 yr old won't have the stamina in the parks that we have and to be very, very flexible with your plans. Very few of our usual events happened the way we envisioned, but that's ok because our little one loved it anyway!

vamaggie
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
We have never stayed at AKL but have stayed at WL x2 with little ones and found it to be very convenient for naps. We took the boat to/from MK and drove to AK and Epcot. The theming at WL is great--esp if you like Pac NW style. There was a lot for the kids to do at the resort/pool. If you are concerned about returning to the resort for naps, I would say try WL and save AKL for when the kids are a little older.

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
If you've been thinking AKL then you should go with it.

When people think MK area resorts they're magically minimalizing how far the journey is from, say, Splash Mountain to a room at PR, GF or WL.

AKL is a great resort and the only room that's truely close to Cinderella's Castle is the room IN Cinderella's Castle.

KAT1811
04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
We've stayed all over the World with DDs 10, 2, and 5 months. I agree that the transportation to/from the parks isn't all that different. If you just miss the monerail it can be a rather lengthy wait even to the CR. Go with AKL if that is where you you would like to stay. All of my DDs nap wonderfully in the stroller so we don't do resort naps (except on pool days). Plus I bet the kids would love the animals at the AKL. Go where you want and work around the naps plus I've heard that the WL transport can be slow at times and can often share a bus with the campground. Happy planning!

castlegirl
04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
My vote would be for WL. Have you thought about CR, GF, or Poly? The monorail goes right through the hotels. On our first trip, my DS was 9 and DD was 2. We stayed at the Poly. Like you, we spent most of our time at MK and Epcot. At the Poly, we walked to the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot. It was very convenient to take the monorail, stroller with sleeping toddler and all, back to the hotel in the afternoon.

Just my :twocents: Our family likes the convenience of the monorail and ferry boats for transportation and use the bus as little as possible.

Mom2princesses
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
To be honest with you I think WL would be easier with two little ones. I am assuming that you will be spending most of your time at the MK and Epcot. We have stayed at the Poly and I dread the bus ride to AK with little ones. You have to drag the stroller and the bus can be very crowded at times. That is why I am thinking of driving to AK this year. We have had to stand the whole ride back and while for adults that is not impossible with little ones it sure can be difficult. Now I have to admit I have never stayed at the AKL and traveled to other parks so maybe it is not as bad?

Once my little one is older we will definitely explore other resorts and I have to agree the AKL looks really great but for now I need the comfort of the closer resorts. Just my :twocents:

The good news is that you are going to WDW and it will be fun no matter what you choose to do!

BigRedDad
04-17-2007, 03:50 AM
It may have just been the timing we were there, but our bus experience from AKL was extremely lengthy. We were there the week of Thanksgiving on our Honeymoon. The bus to and from the AKL was shared with the All Stars. Many times, the bus never came because it was full from the All Stars. It was not unheard of to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus to show up. When it did, it could only take 4-5 people while 15-20 were waiting. They'd send another bus around, but it was a 10 minute wait on top of the initial wait. Taxis became necessary for us while we were there. Waiting for buses became a waste of time. If anyone has been there more recently, my experience with transportation may have changed.

Don't get me wrong. The resort was worth every penny. The experience was incredible. The animals, theming, pools, and smell from Boma and the fire are still in my mind from 2001.

Spaceship Tigger
04-17-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree that the transportation to/from the parks isn't all that different. If you just miss the monerail it can be a rather lengthy wait even to the CR.

I agree with others in that there's not a lot of difference much of the time. Even though WDW covers a large area, driving or riding from one end to the other (such as MK to AKL) is only a few miles. This translates into only a couple of extra minutes. Last trip we stayed at the AKL and went back to the room every afternoon for naps and didn't feel like it was a problem at all. We have experienced some pretty long waits for monorails and boats in coming and going from resorts that are supposedly much closer to the action than AKL.

phillydan
04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
... We stayed at the Poly. Like you, we spent most of our time at MK and Epcot. At the Poly, we walked to the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot. It was very convenient to take the monorail, stroller with sleeping toddler and all, back to the hotel in the afternoon.

Just my :twocents: Our family likes the convenience of the monorail and ferry boats for transportation and use the bus as little as possible.

I totally agree with Castlegirl. Having to take a sleeping 2 yr old out of the stroller, then fold the stroller while getting on a bus adds too much stress. Poly is a great "in-between" location and the walk to the TTC is not far at all. Go for convenience, if you can afford it.

lockedoutlogic
04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Unless they have no interest in animals whatsoever.....I think AKL is best location for kids....

Let's look at it simply: Animal Kingdom lodge with an additional attraction located at the resort.

This is where those drowning in the KoolAid say," But we love the castle"....

yeah....but the castle is a steel and fiberglass mockup....the zebras, giraffes, and Ostriches at AKL are fascinating and right there for you to see.....

So I wouldn't worry about the distance and I would go for AKL.....you are always going to be "closer" and "Farther" from one location or another....just take the plunge.

Yacht and Beach would be my second choice....for both pool facilities and location....Wilderness Lodge would be Third...followed by Polynesian and everyone else...

StillSimbaGirl
04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Although we LOVED AKL - it is really far from everything - especially when compared to the Poly, which was our hotel BEFORE AKL.

I would be on the bus - going home - tired etc...and I looked at the 6 yo and said, "if we were at the Poly, we would be home by now!"

Anyway, now we are BC babes!

casey@bat
04-20-2007, 09:00 AM
We stay at Fort Wilderness and take the boat to MK. I dread the days we have to take the bus to AK and MGM. The stroller is the main reason why as mentioned before. We have always strolled onto the boat with no problem.

I think the campground is booked for Feb. 08. I don't know about the other resorts. A lot of schools have winter break in February now.

Good luck!