PDA

View Full Version : crazy amount of food?

dinahvixen
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I was just checking out the menu for Boatwrights at POR, is it true that on the dining plan I could get:

appetizer: fresh fruit
main course: banana stuffed toast
side: cereal
drink: milk

That seems like a crazy amount of food - am I interpreting the dining plan correctly? I think I am, but it still seems like an insane amount to eat! Not complaining, just seeing if I am right...

Efrank
04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
That sounds right if you are wanting to use that as your table service meal of the day, but then you wouldn't be eating too much for the rest of the day on the dining plan.

dinahvixen
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Figured I could eat the banana toast and some of the fruit, save the cereal and rest of the fruit for a snack in the room fridge for when we come back for the middle of the day rest n' swim...

Rick Blaine
04-15-2007, 10:06 PM
It might seem like a lot to eat in the morning. I think most people use the TS credit for dinner and/or a character meal. It all depends on what you like to eat. Many people enjoy fine dining at night and save their TS credits for that. If you don't mind eating at a CS for your late meal (and there are good CS places) then what you are suggesting is fine.

tinksmom02
04-15-2007, 10:27 PM
When we had breakfast at Boatwright's, we were told that we could have 2 beverages and a "main" breakfast meal. Our server may have been wrong, but trust me--the "entrees" are huge! I ordered the stuffed french toast and could not even eat half! YUM! :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes. Its true. Its a crazy amount of food. And consuming it takes a crazy amount of time! Figure that into your planning. It really takes a chunk of time for those huge sit down meals, as yummy as they are!

pogo
04-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes. Its true. Its a crazy amount of food. And consuming it takes a crazy amount of time! Figure that into your planning. It really takes a chunk of time for those huge sit down meals, as yummy as they are!
And that is exactly why we don't buy the Dining Plan. We rarely eat as much as it would give us. We save money, eat lite, and still gain weight. :D

Marilyn Michetti
04-15-2007, 10:40 PM
That's a lotta food ! Me 'n grampa just can't eat that much anymore and still walk upright. I can't bring myself to waste it because of the starving children in China. ( Well, that's where they were in the 50's). I always wanted to send them mine, but mother said "no", we're blessed to have these lima beans. Anyway, we just get coffee and a danish in the morning, have a late lunch, and something at the sports bar before bed.:blush:

imaprincess!
04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I have heard that the portions are huge for the dining plan!

Marilyn - thanks for the laugh. Just so you know, the children were in China in the 1970's, too! ;)

bicker
04-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Do keep in mind that once food is delivered to WDW, there is absolutely no chance, whatsoever, that it will make it to China. or India, or Bangladesh, or Ethiopia, etc.

Regarding the OP, the Dining Plan Brochure states that at TS meals you get:

:mickey: Juice (breakfast)
:mickey: Appetizer (lunch & dinner)
:mickey: Entree
:mickey: Dessert (lunch & dinner)
:mickey: Non-alcoholic beverage

That's it. Boatwrights might let you take a lot more, but you aren't entitled to an appetizer, or a "side", or a dessert (for that matter) at breakfast at TS restaurants.

Jimenyfan
04-16-2007, 07:10 AM
And that is exactly why we don't buy the Dining Plan. We rarely eat as much as it would give us. We save money, eat lite, and still gain weight. :D

:thumbsup: Us too!

Veectoor
04-16-2007, 07:13 AM
My DW and I love the dining plan. There are very few restaurants that we would go to and sit down to eat while at Disney because the prices are definitely high.

Does the DDP give you lots of food? Yes, if you want it.

Does it take a long time to eat it? Depends on your definition of long. We plan the TS meals as part of the vacation, so we don't think of it taking any longer than a long ride (granted, its a long ride).

Do I have trouble walking upright afterwards? You betcha.

Do I try food I normally wouldn't try if I was paying OOP? Yep. That's the best part.

What can I say....I'm a product of the "FoodTV influenced Generation X", and I'm proud of it.

Rick Blaine
04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
... I can't bring myself to waste it because of the starving children in China. ( Well, that's where they were in the 50's). ...

That was the 1950s. Currently many of the starving children are in Hollywood. Some of them have the last name Olsen.

Katiebell
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I can't bring myself to waste it because of the starving children in China. ( Well, that's where they were in the 50's).

Yes, but if you go to Epcot, then you can eat in China :thumbsup: Oh, that's probably not what you meant... :D

Yep, wasting food was a concern for us, too (must be a generational thing?) We don't want to stuff ourselves, we don't want to leave a bunch of unfinished food (waste just feels wrong, and you feel like you've wasted your money if all that food is left). Oh well, the DDP is still less than what we normally pay OOP on a Disney vacation, and we'll get to try a lot of new things. If it's feasible, we'll probably be taking at least some of our desserts to go...