PDA

View Full Version : First time flying and traveling with a camcorder

whymsycalwitch
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
We got a new camcorder for Christmas this year and I want to bring it with me on our upcoming trip (26 days to go) to Las Vegas and DL. I have never flown with one and I have a few quick questions.

I have a Sony Handycam DVD. It takes the small DVD disks. I know I will have to take it completely out of the bag and send it threw the x-ray machine alone. Has anyone ever labeled their camcorder with their name and maybe address or phone number, just in case? And how and where did you label it?

Are the blank, used and not formatted DVD disks safe threw the x-ray machine? I am still living in the age of when you had to carry all of your film onto the plane because the x-ray machines could destroy your film. Since I have no experience with these DVD disks and how hard or easy it is to mess them up I just want to be sure they will be ok.

Are there any other helpful hints or suggestions I should know about having a DVD camcorder in the parks? Like, tips on recording the parades or things I should focus on?

Just so you have an idea of what kind of people we are, (and I know there are others out there just like me) my last trip to WDW I took over 900 pictures, in 6 days, it was my mom's first trip there so I had to capture everything. And she is planning to take video of our luggage and us leaving the house and the train station, and the airport and the ride to the hotel because this time we can have it on video.

Thanks as always for your help!

peemagg
04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
I take mine each time and have never had a problem. All I do is take it out of the case and place it in the bin with the rest of my camera equipment. When I am ready to go thru security, I send them thru. As soon as I pass security I go and get it right away. Now, the only big airport I have had to go thru was Mco, the one we fly out of is a small, quiet airport, so getting thru security is very quick.

mdricks
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't think the x-ray machine will hurt your disks. This is what I found on a Google search.

[1.53] Will x-rays hurt DVDs?
No. X-ray machines such as those used for airport security have no effect on storebought DVDs or on DVDs that you have recorded (R, RW, or RAM format).

You will likely have to take it out of the case and put it in a tray. I fly STL and MCO and have had to do this at both airports.

We took 500 pics and 2 hours o video our last trip so I know where you are coming from. Get a spare battery and a gallon size Ziploc. We keep our camera bag (its pretty small) in a zip lock at all times we are not using it. So far we have never had a water incident. Plus we have had to move to the fallback battery at least twice on every trip.

Good luck!

:photo:

Jeri Lynn
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I have a sony handycam and I have never had a problem with it at the airport.

I have an address label on the side of it (on the outside of the flip out screen) and I also put an address label inside my camera case...I do the same thing with my digital camera. I bring my camera's with me in my carry on luggage, I have never put them with my checked baggage.

CleveSJM
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
One of the most important things is to send it through security last or toward the end. I do this with my laptop. I don't go through the scanner until it is on the conveyor into the machine. Even if the security guy is telling me to come thru, I tell him I have to wait for my laptop to go thru. This is also my company policy. If they have you step aside for additional screening, make the security people secure all your stuff and bring it with them. You are allowed to keep all your items in sight. That is your right.

Your unrecorded (and recorded) DVD's will be fine. A strong laser might mess them up but not any of the security xray devices.

Have a great trip.

Oh yeah, I always put a sticky address label on the bottom of my camcorder and camera. Put it down by the tripod shoe area. There is usually enough room down there and it's out of the way.

cjb121879
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I work for TSA (the federal agency which handles security) at PHL (the airport I assume you will be flying out of considering you're in Trenton).

Yes, the camcorder and disks should be brought to the checkpoint (for pete's sake, don't pack it in checked luggage, whatever you do) and sent through the x-ray. No, it will not damage your equipment. Yes, you should be smart with your items and sending your expensive items through last (minimizing the time you are separated from them) is a very good idea.

And by all means, place a label on your camcorder. I have worked periodically with our lost and found department and the number of items that people never call for is staggering. Placing a sticker on your camcorder means that if it somehow ends up in our lost and found department, our guys will have a way to contact you. It also means there is less of a chance that another passenger will pick yours up by mistake.

Hope this information helps. Enjoy your trip!

CleveRocks
04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
X-rays are a form of light. Light affects film. That's why there can be trouble with film going through x-ray machines.

Digital memory is not affected by light. Memory on a DVD is exactly the same as memory on a CD or computer hard-drive or camera memory card.

CleveSJM
04-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I work for TSA ...

Just wanted to thank you and all your TSA co-workers for helping keep us safe and secure on our flights. It's a tough job dealing with stressed out people under tight time constraints and you guys do a great job without enough thanks from the public.

:thanks:

cjb121879
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
CleveSJM,

That was awesome. You rock!:number1: