PDA

View Full Version : Which DVC Resort to choose?

PrincessASquared
04-15-2007, 07:08 PM
My family and I (wife and 5 year old daughter) are going to join DVC before the end of this year. We've heard that almost all the DVC resorts have openings. Which resort should we choose? For example, If it rained the entire time we were there,:mad: and we could not attend the parks, which resort would have the most to offer? :mickey: :marg: :beer::thumbsup:
Thanks

Seasonscraps
04-15-2007, 07:12 PM
With a child, I would probably consider BC since they have Storm Along Bay. My preference is the Boardwalk.

You should really base on where you would like to stay the most. Each resort offers something unique whether it be location, theme, etc.

wendy*darling
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
If you are buying through resale- it may be true that you could get points at almost any DVC resort.
New points are currently bring offered at Saratoga Springs and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Disney may be able to put you on a wait list for other resorts, in case points become available there.

One thing to consider is the length of the contracts. SSR and AKL are offering contracts good through 2054. All of the others will expire in 2042. Since your family is young, I would think that the longer contracts would be worth quite a bit- 12 more years for the same money.

All DVC resorts have a community center area- you can get free DVD rentals, boards games, etc. They often have activities for the kids. There is an arcade at every resort as well. And all DVC resorts have food options as well.

But for my family- if it's raining- we like to hit the parks in our ponchos!
Less crowds- lots of fun! :umbrella:

If it were me, I would go with either SSR or AKL.

Maleficent's Dad
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
We've heard that almost all the DVC resorts have openings.
Not sure where you heard this... it is true but only to an extent.
If you purchase through Disney, they have points available immediately for SSR and AKLV. If you'd like to purchase another resort, you'll have to go on a "wait list."
The other option is purchasing through resale - then you could probably find the resort of your choice; you may have to wait for the points you'd like to become available for sale.
As Wendy stated above, you should take a look at the length of contract - 12 years is quite a difference with a young family. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
04-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Not sure where you heard this... it is true but only to an extent.
If you purchase through Disney, they have points available immediately for SSR and AKLV. If you'd like to purchase another resort, you'll have to go on a "wait list."
The other option is purchasing through resale - then you could probably find the resort of your choice; you may have to wait for the points you'd like to become available for sale.
As Wendy stated above, you should take a look at the length of contract - 12 years is quite a difference with a young family. :mickey:

I highly agree with this......

On boards such as this...there tends to be alot of encouragement to buy at locations that are 5-10 years into their contract...like Wilderness lodge or Beach Club....

I can't fathom why anyone would do this...unless it was to add on to an existing membership.....
Your "home" resort means very little...if anything. My Mother in law has had DVC for 10 years at Hilton Head...and of course, has never gone anywhere near Hilton Head.
The only thing you get with your "home" resort is the longer booking window....but that never seems to be a problem for anyone.....

So why would you buy a contract that has 10-20 % of the term already elapsed?

Perhaps, to clarify, people misunderstand the concept that DVC operates under...
The entire resort's ownership expires over the course of a single calender year.....or simply: The entire resort will go for resale at the same time.

Right now, OKW, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Hilton Head, Vero Beach, and Beach Club will all be up for re-sale in 2042 (I believe):hatter: :hatter: .....Saratoga and AKV will expire in 2054....

Of course, Disney will begin to offer re-ups in probably 10 years or so...but that will be an additional capital committment to all current owners....

So if you were to buy now at say...Beach Club...instead of AKV.....you would be getting 12 less years of usage out of the same bank of points.....

some would question "but what if I really love to stay at Beach Club and want to guarantee that I get it everytime?"
That's a good question...but it isn't nearly as big a deal as is promoted by e-posting DVC owners. The wait list will deliver for you about 99% of the time. Waitlist gets a bad wrap because it typically comes through 30-40 days before your travel dates....causing those on it to sweat it out. this seems like a risk...but in actuality is a mechanism of the system. Since Disney will allow the owner to cancel a reservation up to 31 days in advance....and people being people....ride it out until the last possible second. So really...the waitlist is an underused asset of the DVC...and absolutely makes the resorts interchangeable. We have owned since November...used the waitlist twice...and it has worked 30-40 days out twice...like clockwork...the most recent being several days ago.

But all this talk of waitlist is only a backstop....it is usually isn't necessary at all. Especially if you are willing to travel outside of Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and the 4th of July (which are...imo...the crappiest times of the WDW calender anyway). Not only that....but jumping around from location to location is part of the fun....and to be honest....gives the member a sense that there's always something different about their trip and that they can "afford" anything...even if they are not as financially flexible as it would seem.:hatter: