PDA

View Full Version : All and ny input about POR

lilmattie13
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Now that we are finally booked our trip and we are definitely staying in POR I want to know everything and anything about the resort.

The good the bad and the hints lol ;)

I know NADA about this resort, only what I have read off the WDW website and here.

So I am appealing to anyone who had stayed here to give me any input if they have a chance.

It would be greatly appreciated.:)

wendy*darling
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Since you have stayed at CBR, I think you will find POR very similar in layout- that is, the buildings are clustered throughout the resort, there is one central building with the food court, TS restaurant, guest services and gift shop.

What is different is the theming. Instead of the island feel of the CBR, you will have a southern mansion or bayou theme- depending on which section you are in.

I'd start with InfoCentral's resort description section on POR (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/riverside/default.asp). Then click on the resort map (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/port-dixie.jpg)to see how the resort is laid out.

Enjoy your stay! :mickey:

KatGat
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
We LOVE POR!! We've stayed there 7 yrs in a row. Always building 25. It's in the alligator bayou section (w/trundle bed) and is close to the west bus depot. It's so quiet and the lush landscaping and paths are so peaceful, we just melt when we get off the bus at the end of a long day. There's a collective exhale and immediate relaxation. The chirping crickets & frogs say "welcome home". The morning walk around the water to the restaurant is beautiful, with ducks near the water and a light morning fog over the water and the big water wheel...It's my "happy place" ....

Mary ct/cm
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
:mickey:

I stayed at POR last September and I must say it is the most PEACEFUL of all the resorts.

I worked in Resorts on the Disney College Program (gulp!) 14 years ago, and I spent a lot of time just wandering around the resorts. I always enjoyed POR, but that did not compare to staying there.

We had a room right on the river, near the bridge to the main building where the store & food court are.

I recommend getting the refillable mugs unless you are just some crazy distance from the food court.

You can take a riverboat all the way to Downtown Disney and back until the wee hours of the morning. Of course they have package delivery from all the shops at DD and in the parks. They deliver them to the POR gift shop, not your room.

The rooms were spacious and all have refridgerators. There is a large privacy curtain you can pull across the sink area so that one person can be getting dressed while another is in the shower and another is in the main room.

You can rent boats and bicycles and fishing gear at the marina near the food court.
You can take a horse drawn carriage ride from POR to POFQ and back (we did that). We rented a car, so I can't tell you about the buses.

It is a beautiful resort. My overall lasting impression is what I started with, the peacefulness.

I hope you have a magical stay!

Donald_Quackers
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I've stayed at POR once and it was the most memorable of anyplace that I have stayed at. Getting up in the morning and walking across the river to get to the food court for breakfast, seeing the rabbits and other critters in the morning, and the fact that it seems so far from everything else in Disney, but not.

Methinks I should make plans to stay there again, I really enjoyed it that much.

lilmattie13
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I have read such positive things about this resort.

I think the only negative Ihave really read has been issues with mousekeeping. BUt I think it just depends on who is cleaning your room because some people had both good and bad days on their vacation.

I found it interesting that tipping really didnt make a difference because even some that had tipped received not great cleaning.

I had my TA (Terriesue at MJ She is WONDERFUL!!!) request A14 nonsmoking. I know this is the most requested room and I am a little concerned we wont get it.
We are taking my Mom who is in a wheelchair and my two children 4 & 2. So both my husband and I will be pushing nonstop. The stroller and wheelchair.

I have read how many do not get the rooms they request. Is there another building I should mention if 14 is not available? Also should I fax or bother to call a few days prior to departure?

See I feel there is so much I just dont know lol:confused:

Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

jilwil
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
faxing your room request within a week out of leaving for your vacation. It's no guarantee, but we were able to get in the building that we wanted during the peak season on our 2002 trip. I feel like faxing ahead of time may have helped in this matter. It certainly can't hurt. We will be staying at POR for the first time on our April 27-May 2 trip. I am very excited about staying there! I have only heard and read wonderful things about this resort! I will give my critique when I return.:D

disney100%
04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
My family loves POR. We have stayed there a majority of our trips to WDW. We actually have already booked our trip for 2008 and plan to stay at POR.

Here's why we love it:

1. Theming/Atmosphere is very relaxing - love walking along the river

2. Boat to DtD is a nice change from the buses

3. We love the food court (haven't been since it was refurbished though)

4. Piano player at River Roost is SO fun!

5. Gift shop is one of the best

6. My son loved the ducks and bunnies all over the resort

I could keep going but I think many other people have said the same things. By the way, our favorite building is Magnolia Terrace.