PDA

View Full Version : Ending day at MK: Crowds? Cali Grill for Wishes?

momanddaughter
04-15-2007, 12:05 PM
We are planning :muscles: our 2nd trip :party: to WDW for daughter and I,:D and 1st trip for hubby:mickey:
Only have 5 days including the day we arrive (August 23 11:00 am) and leave (August 27 6:30 pm) so we are trying to plan every day well. Will be getting up early and be at the parks before opening. Staying at YC (Epcot is our favorite park!). Planning to visit MK on Saturday the 25th - park is open until 10 pm that night, with Spectromagic at 9:00 and Wishes at 10:00. Since we will be up early next day and daughter and I have seen Spectromagic, we are thinking about leaving MK before 9:00 and heading to California Grill for a dinner around 9 and catch Wishes from there while we are finishing up. Will we also be able to see the Electric Water Pageant from there? Will it be a zoo to get back to the YC with everyone leaving MK? How about taking a cab? We don't want to be stuck in a logjam:( , so any suggestions you can offer are most appreciated. Any other ideas for wrapping up the night nicely but having a quick escape plan?

CaptainDisney
04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
As much as I love WDW Transportation, I don't typically equate it with a "quick escape plan", especially at park closing ;-) I think at that point, if you're looking to make it a relatively early night, your best bet is a cab.

The busses at MK will likely be packed with long lines.

SBETigg
04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
The plan should work but you may want to make your dinner reservation for slightly earlier, then catch Wishes from the deck just as you finish your meal. No guarantee at getting a table with a view, anyway.

As for catching the Water Pageant, that goes by the Contemporary at 10:05, and you can catch it from the dock (I think on the Bay Lake side of the Contemporary). So you really won't have time to catch both Wishes and the Water Pageant, unless they delay the Water Pageant until Wishes is over (which is what they do when it coincides in front of the Poly, but not sure about the Contemporary). At any rate, the timing will be tight and I am not sure you will be able to do both. If catching both is a priority, you could schedule your dinner slightly later and catch the pageant from the Poly first at nine. Or you could do dinner at Narcoossee's and easily fit in both the Electric Water Pageant at 9:15 and Wishes at 10, provided you get a window seat.

Transportation back to the Yacht Club should be no problem. The buses run for some time after park close and after the initial rush exit from the MK, I don't think you'll have a problem. You won't be fighting to rush out of the MK at that time, anyway. It's just a matter of catching the bus, and it shouldn't be too bad to the YC.

faline
04-15-2007, 03:40 PM
You would definitely need a reservation to dine at California Grill. It gets very busy in the restaurant especially since everyone else wants to watch Wishes while they dine as well!

I have seen the Electrical Water Pageant from California Grill but it doesn't quite have the same impact when you can't hear any of the music. They best place to watch the water pageant is from the beach at the Poly.

A cab is always an option if you don't want to head back to the Magic Kingdom for a bus.

thejens
04-15-2007, 09:46 PM
I've seen Wishes from California Grill and it was okay. But to me Wishes is just not Wishes unless I am on Main Street (or close enough) to hear the music. But that's just my opinion.

faline
04-16-2007, 03:15 PM
The impact is much greater while standing on Main Street. I still like seeing them from the vantage point of California Grill. And, you do get to hear the music as it is piped into the restaurant.

momanddaughter
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the great tips! I am nervous about this trip - daughter and I are huge Disneyland and WDW fans, but hubby alas - well, let's just say this is not his idea of a great vacation, and getting stuck in a huge crowd trying to leave MK will drive him crazy. That said, he is going along with plans for his first WDW trip in good spirit, but I really want to make sure we all have a great time. He (and I) are foodies, so although I might prefer watching Wishes from main street, I think CG will work perfect for us (have an ADR at 9:00 pm), and I think we will have to skip the water pagent this time. That night is the only night that weekend Spectro is on (at 9:00pm) so I guess it's going to be busy? What time should we get out of the park to avoid getting caught in the parade crowd? And what will crowds generally be like Aug. 23-27? Had no problem getting the ADRs at exact times I wanted (also booked Jiko Thurs and Le Cellier Fri)

SBETigg
04-18-2007, 12:45 PM
As long as you are out of the MK before Spectro begins, you should be okay. People are claiming curb space about an hour or two before parade time, but the streets are fairly passable up until within half hour of the parade start.

I'll be there from Aug 19-29, so I'm hoping crowds are lower, but it's not predictable. Generally, crowds thin out toward the end of August. I was also able to get all my ADRs without much trouble, so I hope that's a good sign. With free dining starting later this year, maybe that will help.