PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan - your ideal plan?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
04-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Alright so I've heard bad things about Coral Reef at lunch, and other poor things about Planet Hollywood now...here's my question:

We're planning to get the Dining Plan now, after several months of not knowing if we should get it or not.

What would be the ideal locations to use Dining Plan credits at for the full meals that you get (the ones that include appetizers, entrees, and desserts)?

The first night we've already got the Fantasmic Dining Plan...after that the plan is evenings at MK, Epcot, DD, MGM, MK and MGM. Where would you go - and feel that it was worth your money with Dining Plan credits? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chris :hatter:

Marker
04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
My opinion would be to spend some time looking at the Menus and decide based on which menus appeal you the most. Go for food you like.

Some folks will choose based on the price, trying to get the meals that cost the most if they were actually paying in order to get the most "value" out of their meal plan. But I say go for the food that looks the best. And frankly, that's so subjective because everyone likes different things, that I wouldn't think of supposing that you would like "exactly" what I like.

SBETigg
04-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Good question, Chris! ;)

Dinners make the best use of your DP credits, because they are generally the most expensive meal of the day (but lunch isn't always a bad deal, either). Buffet or fixed price restaurants are not always your best DP bet. Breakfasts are almost always about the least value you can get from DP TS credits.

My top choices in each park area:
MK: The best bets are at the MK area resorts.
Kona Cafe at the Polynesian
'Ohana at the Polynesian
Grand Floridian Cafe (depending on when you are going, it is a temp location for 1900 Park Fare for a few months).

Epcot: Lots of great choices! You can get there easily from the MGM area, too.
Marrakesh
Le Cellier
Rose & Crown
San Angel Inn
Teppanyaki
Spoodles at the Boardwalk

MGM:
50s Primetime
Hollywood Brown Derby (but it's two credits and perhaps not the best use of two credits on the DP).

Downtown Disney:
Wolfgang Puck's
Raglan Road
Also a great place to use TS credits at Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express

Animal Kingdom:
Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

Pirate Granny
04-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I agree you should look at the menu's and then pick from that...especially if you have children...however, that said, I ate recently at the Coral Reef, as that was the first pick from the friend I was going with...I HATE fish, but thought, what the heck, I checked the menu and sure enough there was other stuff to eat, so we ate dinner in Sept there...it was wonderful... I say you will always have an off day where the food is bad at any restaurant, even those at home, so just go for the theme and the food choice and enjoy...We now try to go to restaurants that we haven't done in years...so next week we'll visit Crystal Palace and Alfredo's before it closes this summer...We were pleasantly delighted with Liberty Tree at the Xmas Holidays...since we are an upper middle aged couple, we have avoided the character meals, but really enjoyed the food and characters...hense the CP this trip...I've never had the DDP, but we have the Disney Dining Experience (buy the card and get 20% off meals) so we've been eating at TS rather than CS...but I do miss the CS in the parks...any food I don't have to prepare is good...:pirate:

prttynpnk
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
We usually pay out of pocket for buffets- except for character meals or shows- I think that sage Natazu has a good breakdown for TS- I think maybe it's $23 or above is worth using a TS credit for........can I get some backup on that?

EyeLuvDisney
04-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Here's my choices:

* Magic Kingdom
Liberty Tree Tavern

* EPCOT
Garden Grill
Coral Reef
Le Cellier
Marrakesh
Le Chefs De France (one of my FAVORITES)

*MGM
Brown Derby
50's Prime Time Cafe

Happy Eating
Trey

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Good question, Chris! ;)

Why thank you! ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone..really appreciate it. I will sit down with my DGF and we'll go over the menus for these restauraunts! :mickey: :thumbsup:

Chris :hatter:

Crow
04-14-2007, 06:53 PM
We usually pay out of pocket for buffets- except for character meals or shows- I think that sage Natazu has a good breakdown for TS- I think maybe it's $23 or above is worth using a TS credit for........can I get some backup on that?
i remember around that for what the sage said
$12.50 for CS, $23-24 for TS...im sure he will b along soon..
im trying the plan for the first time in May, then the free dining in Sept so will see how things go.
I agree w going where you like or what sounds good. i am using it to try some places like CA Grill
and revisiting some favs. gonna avoid the buffets somewhat to try and get more value from it..but i may still do 1 or all u care to eat place
and im using the TS for dinners whereas when i wasnt on the plan i did lunch more to save $$

Natazu
05-04-2007, 03:13 AM
So, I just ran across this thread. (sorry, it takes Canadian threads a while to get to Tennessee ;) )
I've never been called a sage before. I'm going to go look it up. While I'm gone, I'm going to put you all into hypersleep. Don't worry; it'll only seem like a second or two to you. Engineer.. Activate Hypersleep.. NOW!
Ok, I found it. That's quite a complement, thanks Pink.

So, back to the thread at hand:
There are lot of places that are good DDP values. Sherri hit most of them and is absolutely correct about buffets and breakfasts. To figure value on the DDP, you have to look at the amount the meal will cost vs. the cost for the TS credit. Then, of course, value really means "quality for the money" so if it's a lousy restaurant, it doesn't matter how much it costs.
Jym’s Top-7 Best Values on the Dining Plan
7. Grand Floridian Café
6. Marrakesh
5. Coral Reef
4. Kona Café
3. Le Cellier
2. Wolfgang Puck Café
1. California Grill (2TS)

Here are the "break-evens" we use:
$24.50 for TS meals
$11.00 for CS meals
$2.50 for snack items