PDA

View Full Version : Tips if you are not happy with your room

disneynarula
04-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Does anyone have any tips as to what you can do if you are unhappy with your room when you get to your resort?

We will be staying at All Star Sports in Sep to take advantage of the free dining.

My concern is that the place will be a dump. I have not stayed at a value since college. I do not care about ammeneties (because in that dept you get what you pay for and we will be spending a lot of time at the parks) but cleanliness.

I am also concerned that if I complain they will kind of blow it off because it is a value resort room associated with the free dining.

Has anyone stayed there on the free dining plan?

I would really love to be able to stay at a mod or deluxe but we gave that lifestyle up when I became a SAHM.

Lorraine444
04-14-2007, 09:16 AM
ALL Star Sports is not a dump, I have stayed there.
In the past (not at Disney) I have requested a room change, it was honored.
If they have the availability I am sure they will assist you.

Mousehead35
04-14-2007, 09:22 AM
While I have never stayed at AS Sports, I have stayed at ASMovies and Pop Century and can tell you that neither resort was a dump by any means.

disneymom15
04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
We Stayed At Sports Last X-mas. One Of The Bed Frames Was Missing A Bolt. We Call The Front Desk, They Gave Us The Option To Switch Rooms Or Have The Maintance Man Fix It. We Chose To Have It Fixed, He Was In Our Room Within 15 Minutes And We Were Good To Go. Also, Our Room Didn't Have A Hair Dryer, I Talked To Housekeeping And They Delivered One To Our Room. The Room Was Very Clean And No Other Problems.

crazypoohbear
04-14-2007, 09:37 AM
We stayed at POP last year, I was a little concerned about staying at a value aslo, I was use to staying at the Dolphin but with free dining....:blush:
I was very surprised at how nice the resort was. I called for extra blankets and pillows the first night and housekeeping was there within 15 minutes. The room was clean everyday, complete with towel animals!:thumbsup:
There were 4 of us in the room, including air beds. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. The grounds were well kept and the CM's very friendly. I don't think you will have any problems and with Disney, it really doesn't matter which resort you are at, they will try to make magic happen:mickey:

cetacean01
04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I have stayed at both AS Sports and Carribean Beach. To be completely honest, I liked AS SPorts better. I think you made a wise choice, you ARE getting what you paid for, but its Disney World, they will do all in their power to keep you happy!

POP CENTURY IN 89 DAYS 23 HOURS AND 44 MINUTES!!!!!!!!:)

Marker
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
My concern is that the place will be a dump. I have not stayed at a value since college. I do not care about ammeneties (because in that dept you get what you pay for and we will be spending a lot of time at the parks) but cleanliness.

I am also concerned that if I complain they will kind of blow it off because it is a value resort room associated with the free dining.

Has anyone stayed there on the free dining plan?

Unfortunately, if you are convinced that the place will be a dump, then very likely it will be, in your eyes.

I have stayed at various Moderates and Value resorts. I do not in the least consider the Value resorts to be ANY less quality whatsoever. When we stay at a Value resort, as we will be in September, we do it by choice, and totally expect the same cleanliness and attention to detail. Sure, there are the occasional problem or issues, but from my experience that has been rare, and ALWAYS taken care of immediately, and with all the courtesy that I would expect from a Disney resort, regardless of the price level. And I would never ever say that by staying at a Value resort that I was choose to stay at a dump. If that were the case, no one would stay there. I guess it's nice to live "that lifestyle" if you can, and if that's what you want. But not everyone wants that, and prefer the experience at the value resorts. Whether or not you stay at the Value resorts by desire or need, you expect, deserve, and get quality Disney service, just as if you stay at a Moderate or Deluxe.

While I have never visited during the Free Dining Plan time, I see no reason whatsoever to expect anything but the same great level of service I have always experienced.

The theming is different, the pools are different, the available food options are different, but it is definitely still a Disney resort, and treated as such regardless of whether someone spends $79/night, $150/night, or $350/night.

But if you go in expecting bad, and looking for bad, your eyes will probably see the bad.

Goofeygal
04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
We have stayed at Sports several times and it is not a dump. Once our air conditioning in the room didn't work and it took them a while to get to it cause it was a problem with something on the roof of the building so they took 1/2 off the room for that nite. We didn't even ask for anything they just did it.

Willowwind
04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Disney doesn't really do "dump".

I haven't stayed there, as I prefer interior access, full service hotels. But I would never put them into the "dump" category.

My kids and Mom stayed at all of the value resorts several times over. The only time that they EVER had an issue with their room was one year while there were about a zillion high school cheerleaders staying in the same building. My mom called and asked to change rooms, they took care it right away and even sent a CM to help move their "stuff".

kakn7294
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
The major reasons that we don't choose a Value resort are:

1 - room size for a family of 4 with 2 kids who could make a mansion feel small - Moderates have a bit more room

2 - the coffee maker - I can't wait to walk to the food court in the morning :D

3 - resort size now that we've found POFQ

Otherwise, we would stay (and have several times) at a Value in a heartbeat to save money! We've always had neat and clean, well-maintained rooms at both the Value and Moderate resort levels.

TammiMcMan
04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I think we all expect perfection, especially when dealing with Disney. Unfortunately, issues can arise regardless of whether you're staying in a deluxe or a value. The big difference with Disney though, is that a high level of customer service is common at all the resorts. Outside of Disney World, I would definitely expect that if I had an issue, I wouldn't receive the same customer service at a motel, that I would at a 5 star resort. That's not how it works in Disney. Guests are treated with the same respect whether they are paying $79 a night, or $450 a night. It's not a scientific study, but based on a lot of these message boards, it appears that the housekeeping staff at the values actually give out more towel animal creations than anywhere else. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your room, or the cleanliness just because it's in a value category.

If you are concerned about location of your room, or what floor you'll be assigned, most of those issues can be resolved right at the front desk during check-in. Simply ask the CM to show you on a map what's available and you can choose something that best suits your needs. If during your stay, you run into a maintenance or housekeeping problem, just report it promptly to the correct department.

For what it's worth, those departments have no idea what you paid for the room, so please don't presume that they'll be treating you any less. That's typically when issues arise, when people make assumptions.

May524
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
But if you go in expecting bad, and looking for bad, your eyes will probably see the bad.

I agree. If you are already thinking negative thoughts, then maybe valutes aren't for you. Anyway you could stay at a moderate?

But on a different note, I've stayed at values, and they have been OK. Totally different experience in my eyes from VAlues to Deluxe resorts, but all in all they were GREAT!

prttynpnk
04-14-2007, 01:42 PM
We Chose To Have It Fixed, He Was In Our Room Within 15 Minutes And We Were Good To Go. Also, Our Room Didn't Have A Hair Dryer, I Talked To Housekeeping And They Delivered One To Our Room. The Room Was Very Clean And No Other Problems.
See, the value resorts are what you make of them- ask for things the way you need them and they'll comply- we've never had a bad time in one.

disneynarula
04-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I am really not in the mindset that the place is a dump. My expectations are I think par for the course when it comes to a value resort. I was just concerned about All Stars Sports in particular. My friend just emailed and told me it was a dump. She tends to be a snob however so I took her advice with a grain of salt.

Then someone else just told me that All Star Sports was getting pretty worn down. I just don't want to walk in the room and find fraying carpet etc.

For those of you who have stayed there... Was it in the past few months? Was it clean?

I don't care about the coffee maker/fridge thing. I think those things would be nice but not worth the extra money to DH. We don't drink coffee and we are just going to bring a small cooler to keep milk cold for DS.

We don't even plan on using to bus service or the food court. We are bringing our own car (I don't want to dance the stroller tango on the bus) and since we have the DP we will probably only use the food court a few times.

I guess I am just a little sad because I really love POR and will miss staying there. I know once we get there and I see my kids WDW faces for the first time I won't even care where we are staying.

TammiMcMan
04-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I guess I am just a little sad because I really love POR and will miss staying there. I know once we get there and I see my kids WDW faces for the first time I won't even care where we are staying.I think this pretty much says it all right here. We definitely have our favorite resort and when availability doesn't match up with our schedule, it is disappointing to have to choose someplace different and try to stay upbeat about it :( . I'd suggest taking the time to call periodically and check on availability at POR. Who knows if Disney will decide to open up some more rooms with the package or if they'll have cancellations. It's a relatively slow time of year, so I think persistance may ultimately pay off for you. A tip, call first thing in the morning.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM
As with anything it's hit or miss. We always have stayed at the value's and sometimes things were perfect and other times they were not. But if they were not, Disney does try to make it right. Once we had a non smoking room that clearly the last guest thought was smoking. It reeked of smoke! There were burn marks around the sink bowl also. Unfortunately for us the hotel was at capacity! There was a cheerleading group in town and no rooms were available. They did try to deodorize but that ended up being worse than anything. Disney did move us though the last 2 days of our trip. So they tried. But I can say that problem was really the only major concern we have had in numerous trips. Values are great for those of us with kids! (and big kids alike!) The giant icons and the fun water features will keep the kiddo's happy and it saves us parents money! I think values are the way to go, especially if you will spend most of the time at the parks.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't think any Disney resort could ever be classified as a dump. The rooms at the value resorts are small, yes, but they are generally clean and well-kept.

If, however, you walk into your room and find that it is unduly worn or dirty, call the front desk at once and ask to be moved to a new room. I am sometimes a bit surprised at how people will stay in a room that they are completely not happy with, instead of letting resort management know and giving them the chance to rectify the situation. :mickey:

dtootsie42
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Go, you are going to have a great time, and if the room is not to your liking let somebody know. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
We stayed at ASSp for one night in Jan 06. We were only in town for one night and we had just come back in Dec, so we decided that an AP rate for a Value would work.

We were quite pleased w/ our room. It was in the Hoops Hotel area. We had the last room on the floor away from people and faced the parking lot.

We had been staying at Deluxes since 2002, so it was a "step down" for us. I actually enjoyed the room. It is like any other hotel room I've stayed at, except smaller and opened from the outside.

The bus service was great. We didn't wait at all!

I wouldn't focus on the review of one person. You have plenty here that speak the opposite.

Have a great time, and remember, you're only there to sleep and shower!

Jasper
04-14-2007, 08:32 PM
We have stayed at everything from the values to the deluxe and there is really no difference in the quality from one end of the spectrum to the other. What there is a difference in is the level of amenities.

As for the level of service from the people working at the resorts, I have had just as good of service in the values as I have had at the deluxe resorts. I have also had less than perfect experiences at both the deluxe and value resorts.

The important thing is to go in with realistic expectations and you will be fine. If you go in expecting to find problems there is no doubt you will find them. If, however, you go expecting things to go well you will find that as well.

fatboy
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately, if you are convinced that the place will be a dump, then very likely it will be, in your eyes.

I have stayed at various Moderates and Value resorts. I do not in the least consider the Value resorts to be ANY less quality whatsoever. When we stay at a Value resort, as we will be in September, we do it by choice, and totally expect the same cleanliness and attention to detail. Sure, there are the occasional problem or issues, but from my experience that has been rare, and ALWAYS taken care of immediately, and with all the courtesy that I would expect from a Disney resort, regardless of the price level. And I would never ever say that by staying at a Value resort that I was choose to stay at a dump. If that were the case, no one would stay there. I guess it's nice to live "that lifestyle" if you can, and if that's what you want. But not everyone wants that, and prefer the experience at the value resorts. Whether or not you stay at the Value resorts by desire or need, you expect, deserve, and get quality Disney service, just as if you stay at a Moderate or Deluxe.

While I have never visited during the Free Dining Plan time, I see no reason whatsoever to expect anything but the same great level of service I have always experienced.

The theming is different, the pools are different, the available food options are different, but it is definitely still a Disney resort, and treated as such regardless of whether someone spends $79/night, $150/night, or $350/night.

Very well put!!!

PirateLover
04-15-2007, 10:35 AM
The two most recent stays we've had have been at CBR and POP and to be honest we considered CBR to be more of a "dump" and wished we had saved our money and went back to POP. Granted, almost everyone else on here has had a different experience with CBR. So I wouldn't listen to your friend or anyone else. If something isn't to your liking, attempt to have it fixed, and if it can't be try not to dwell on it. But I don't really think you'll have problems :mickey:

TiggerRPh
04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
You get what you pay for. I can see that if your room is dirty or things aren't working that you could complain. I don't think you should complain or ask for a remedy if the place is "a dump". You took your chances on staying at the resort.

I doubt that it will be a dump...it is a Disney resort after all...but I think you're worried over nothing.

Marker
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
You get what you pay for.... I don't think you should complain or ask for a remedy if the place is "a dump". You took your chances on staying at the resort.

REALLY!!!

Please let me see if I am understanding you. Are you saying that guests at the Value resorts are not entitled to have well kept resort? Are you saying that if find something unsatisfactory it's our own fault for choosing a Value resort and we have no right to say anything about it?

Well isn't that just special.

I suspect that you'll find many who disagree with that opinion. I believe that every guest of Walt Disney World should expect the same cleanliness and attention to detail in their resort regardless of how much they pay for their room. And guest of the Value Resorts are just as entitled to resolution of problems and anyone else. Guests at Value Resorts are just as important as guests at Deluxe resorts.

FiggyFan
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
We were at All Star Sports in January and thought it was nice. I particularly liked the fact that there was lots of space for kids to play - the "football field" runs between rows of hotel rooms and is "paved" (if that is the right word) with a rubberized surface similar to some playgrounds. One end of the field is wide open, and was often filled with kids and soccer balls (I think it was a tournament weekend). The other end of the field has a set of "X"s and "O"s scattered about that cut down on the running and give younger kids places to play and climb.

We also liked the food court - we like deluxe resorts, but we are not fancy eaters. Food selection and quality were both fine.

The room itself was, clean, fresh, functional, a bit small for 4, but adequate.

From my perspective, the difference between a budget and a deluxe resort is not quality, it is room size and frills.

floridamom
04-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I have to reply to this thread becasue we just returned from a brief stay at Pop Century this afternoon, and the original room they assigned us to was literally a "dump."

Upon entering we discovered that there were about 10 -12 bags and cans of half-eaten snack foods, a toothbrush, a reusable food court mug, about 83 cents in change, park maps and old times guides strewn about the room, as well as an unplugged refrigerator. We found this particularly odd since the beds had been made and towels replaced, etc. I immediately called the front desk to see if there had been some sort of mistake and that we had been assigned to an already occupied room. The person who answered could not understand what my problem was depsite me giving him the exact description I detailed above. He kept (rather rudely) assuring me that it was indeed our room! At this point my husband took the phone from me, and asked to speak to a manager. He was told that a manager was too busy, but after going through the whole scenario again, the desk CM agreed to send a runner with keys to a new, presumably clean, room. After waiting 15 minutes in the dirty room with our 2 and 4 year olds growing less patient by the minute, we called again, and left a message for the manager to call us when she was less busy. A few minutes later a CM showed up with keys to our new room. The manager did call back and after hearing the situation and my husband's (polite) insistence that this was not what we would expect of Disney, at any resort level, we received a $50 room credit.

Having said all this, I have to emphasize that while we faced an unfortunate situation, it was ultimately rectified to our satisfaction, and that this value resort as a whole is not a dump. We have stayed there before with no complaint and would stay there again without assuming that there would be another problem. We have also stayed at moderates and deluxes, and would insist upon a clean room and courteous service regardless of how much (or little) we were paying. Just my :twocents:
:mickey:

jedigrrrl
04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
We stay in the All Star Resorts(mostly Sports) 99% of the times we go, and we go ALOT. Why do I feel insulted all of a sudden?

The rooms have always been clean and Disney has not hesitated to help us any way they could if there was an issue.....

Once, the nob that turns on the shower was broken and they had it replaced within an hour.

TammiMcMan
04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Upon entering we discovered that there were about 10 -12 bags and cans of half-eaten snack foods, a toothbrush, a reusable food court mug, about 83 cents in change, park maps and old times guides strewn about the room, as well as an unplugged refrigerator. We found this particularly odd since the beds had been made and towels replaced, etc. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that housekeeping cleaned the room, but the previous guests must have come back at some point prior to leaving the resort. That doesn't happen often, but I have seen it before. It was nice of them to give you a credit, especially since it was probably not their fault. That's good customer service.

mouseketeer mom
04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Things happen and can go wrong no matter where you stay, Disney property or elsewhere. We stayed in a 2 BR villa at WL in Jan into February. We walked in to a room that STUNK of smoke. Not a little, ALOT. We were choked up from the smell, my daughters eyes were tearing and we stunk from being in that room for 10 minutes while the situation was rectified. And it was. Quickly. We were placed in another 2 BR villa in an even better location. And this was a $600.00 a nite room. And that first one was awful. Disney rectified it, but things do go wrong!

mttafire
04-15-2007, 10:41 PM

100% agreed..Ill also add that....thats the problem with ALOT of society today. People are constantly looking for "bad" "negative" things. The glass to some is always half empty. PLEASE dont go to Disney thinking your room will be a dump. We have NEVER had ANY issues with our rooms. They always have clean bathrooms,sheets,vacuumed and clean towels. They are IMHO the nicest rooms "clean wise" we have ever stayed in.:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
WDW's operating costs per room do not vary greatly per resort class....neither do the "quality" of the staff.....

believe me...having worked in resort operations for the oldest moderate and the "flagship"deluxe......

So to think that paying more ensures less chance of a "dump" is completely false.....the difference in price is simply a way disney regulates traffic to the specific resorts...and a reflexion of the different amentities and subsequent operations cost between said amentities.

The real factor of whether or not your resort will be "a dump"....boils down to one simple thing: renovation
If your resort has been freshley renovated...as they are every 4-7 years on average...then it will look pristine.
If it has been 5 years...it is going to look a little haggard and rundown......even if it cost 450 a night.
If you were to go and look at the freshley renovated All Star Music Suites building...and then compare it to the non-renovated Beach Club....you would probably be able to tell the difference without too much attention to detail.

So...if you are worried about the "dumpiness" of your location...I would use most recent room renovations as a more accurate guide than price.

Some on this thread seem to be displaying a very out dated, Gordon Gecko -type view (materialistic) of what a dollar buys at WDW.:thumbsup:

offwego
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I have not stayed at the values recently but can tell you we loved them. The reason we went to the mods is honestly all about two factors.

Valet Service (DH's main wish)

Privacy Curtian (My main wish)

I will tell you the worst room in terms of the issues your concerned with was at Beach Club..so bad we asked to be moved. (broken mirrors, light fixtures, dusty etc). We were moved no problem.

My stays at the All Star Movies and Sports were wonderful. The mouskeepers and food court staff were fantastic. (in fact my then maybe 6 DS can still remember one foodcourt employee by name for his fantastic bannana split magic moment more than 5 years later...I'll hope you'll get similiar pixie dust!)

Dsnygirl
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
:mickey: I just wanted to say a quick "thank you" to everyone who has answered this post - my DH and I are staying @ AS Movies this fall, and although we haven't really been concerned w/ the room itself, we were wondering about the resort in general, and people's opinions on the Value Resorts. I have to say I am thrilled to read most of the responses here - it sounds like the magic is alive & well, and that we will have a great time. (We stayed @ CBR, our first time on-site, last year - I know I'll miss the themeing, but everything else sounds great.)

Thanks to everyone - you've helped out alot!! :thanks:

CleveSJM
04-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with some of the uber-pro-disney posts in this thread. The OP stated a concern about getting a "dump." Not a preconcieved notion that it would be a dump. And why think not going to POR is a timing/reservation issue? It may be economical. A lot of people need to use the Value resorts because $$$ might be tight. Don't think Moderates are always an option...

I think we've seen enough posts that dumpy rooms are out there and there is a chance you'll get one. Dump is a relative term but I'd consider my All Star Movies rooms last fall to be borderline dumps. They were beat up, two drawers did not work (one of the higher ones was dangerous), and one of the bathrooms had hair all over the floor and tub. We called with our requests and they could not move us and keep connecting rooms. They sent maintenance over to fix the drawers. They fixed one and "jammed closed" the other one so at least it wasn't dangerous. Eventually Disney credited us for one nights stay to make up for the issues. Bottomline, there are dumpy rooms so it's a good question, but Disney will do everything in their power to fix the room, even if it is a Value. I found they treated me the same as when I stayed at AKL, POR, or ASMo.

You'll have a great time in a Value.

KAT1811
04-16-2007, 11:53 AM
We loved the All Star Resorts. They are very clean and nice. The theming is fun too. Especially with young children. I have to say that I love the food court the most here because they have the most options IMHO. We have stayed all over the board from value to deluxe and have never been diappointed. I'm sure that Disney will do their best to fix any problems that may arise. Go with an open mind and a glass half full mentality and you'll be fine.

I'm a SATH myself and if going to WDW with DH and the kids meant I'd have to stay in a value resort I wouldn't hesitate ever. We are heading down this year and just switched our package to the free DDP. We are very excited !(this is our second time with the free DDP) I have never seen a difference in service from any level. I think Disney prides itself on a superior level of quality and service. To tell you the truth I got better service at the value resorts than when we stayed at the Ritz Carlton (I'm not kidding)!

disneynarula
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
That is good to know. I am going to go into this expecting a "disney quality" room.

I am also going to try to get our room switched to maybe a newer value resort. I guess it can not hurt to try.

Mickey'sGirl
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
In the past 14 months we have stayed at POFQ, POP, BWI, Poly, WL and ASSp ( a total of 29 nights (and another 9 at POFQ coming on Friday). Our 5 nights at the ASSp in January were as good a stay as at any of the other levels of hotels we have stayed at. Clean and bright rooms, and great CM's working the place -- It was right up there with my BWI experience last summer. I would not hesitate to stay there, or recommend it to anyone else. In fact, we have reserved ASSp for our October holiday too. I've travelled the world and stayed at every kind of hotel imaginable -- Sports is all right in my books. :thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I've stayed in dumps (several Ramada Inns come to mind), and All Star Sports or any of the other value resorts don't even come close.

Disney maintains a very high standard considering the number of people they serve.

I hope you will find your accommodations acceptable. :D