PDA

View Full Version : First timer...n ow I need help with food!!

brown1442
04-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks to all of the wonderful suggestions we got on accomidations we're booking our trip tomorrow for Nov 25th through Dec 1st of this year. We'll be staying at the Polyanesian... I am SOOOOOOOO excited!!

We are planning on doing the dining passes. Now I need suggestions for where to eat. We want to start making reservations as soon as we can. My kids will be almost 5 and 2.5. They are VERY good at restaurants (we eat out a lot) and sit perfectly fine through even long meals so I am not worried about that. I am looking for good food and fun places. What do you recommend?? There's just so many to choose from and they ALL look yummy!!

Also, my youngest son (will be 2.5 at the time) has a peanut allergy... anyone know who I need to contact about that??? I've heard there's someone in particular who arranges all of that??

mrsgaribaldi
04-14-2007, 08:20 AM
:welcome: to Intercot:wave:

We stayed at the Poly for the first time in jan and just fell in love with it. We did a characters breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and Ohanas that I think you and your kids would like. We didn't eat dinner there but I've heard goods things about it too.
My favorite place for dinner is the California Grill on top of the Contemporary. It's a great view and the food is wonderful. You could plan it in time to see Wishes from the viewing area, the kids would love that.
I also like Le Cellier in Epcot in Canada and Rose & Crown in England in Epcot.

The kids might like the 50s Prime Time Cafe in MGM or eating in the castle in the Magic Kingdom. Alot depends on what characters the kids like. We did breakfast at the Crystal Palace in MK with Winnie the Pooh and friends and that was really nice too.

Check out the dining section and have fun planning:thumbsup:

sunlyon
04-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Ohanas is great for dinner (we have never done breakfast there). There is a lot going on with hula, conga lines, etc. The food is great and served family style.

We love Chef Mickey's for the character breakfast. Micky, Goofy, Chip and Dale all show up. Huge buffet.

Prime Time is great. Everyone has a different opinion on the food quality, but we had a great dinner with way too much food. If they are picky this is the place to be (or Hollywood and Vine).

Your son (s?) would probably love either Mickey's Backyard Bar-B-Que or the Hoop-Dee-Doo review.

For counter service meals, we like to take a break and go back to the hotel for lunch, swimming and a nap! Much more restful than crawling back at 6 pm with sore feet and cranky kids.

tink55
04-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Don't miss Kona Cafe, it's at the Poly and it has the best breakfast anywhere. It's also great for lunch and dinner. The desserts are to die for.

SWFan
04-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with all the choices so far. Ohana's for dinner is my favorite along with Crystal Palace for Breakfast. I also like Chef Mikey's anytime.

Being your first time it is important to book your Advance Dining Reservation as soon as possible. The difference between a good vacation and an awesome vacation is often planning.

You are going to have a great time.

SWFan
04-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Also Boma for breakfast is great.

Kairi_7378
04-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I would recommend the Fantasmic dinner package and the Brown Derby. The meal at the Brown Derby is very nice, and the dinner package essentially gives you a fast pass for Fantasmic. (I think it would be a little hard to keep kids waiting for over an hour in those seats.) I think the service at Brown Derby is a little faster than that at the CA Grill (which I liked as well) and that the Brown Derby is slightly more kid friendly in that regard, although it sounds like your kids are great in restaurants.

Ohana and Chef Mickey's are a good bet. Rain forest Cafe is good, but it's a chain that you might be able to get to at home. Marrakesh is also an interesting place to eat.

If you're on the dining plan, the kids have to eat off of the children's' menu if one is available. You might want to check out that menu on Intercot. If your 5 year old is an adventurous eater, you might want to consider paying OOP for a special entree for them.

I'd let the Cast Member that takes your ADR's know about the peanut allergy and they can note it on your reservation.

sunlyon
04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I read on another site where someone had a child with a food allergy and they not only told the CM when making their ADRs but called the resort they were going to stay at and talked to the head chef. The chef was very helpful and talked with them about special preparation, etc. at both regular restaurants and buffet style.

I say make the call and talk with the chefs at the restaurants where you are planning to eat. Also call a week before you arrive to make sure the note is still in the reservation so that the restaurant has lots of notification.