PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions from people who have stayed at the Polynesian

BrerGnat
04-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Ok, here's the deal. We are going to be headed to WDW for our first family vacation sometime in the next year. We don't know when yet, due to DH's job (military--lots of uncertainty and last minute "knowing" where he will be headed next). It will most likely be early next year, though.

At this point, I have decided upon the Polynesian as our resort of choice. We will most likely stay 8 nights. It will be me, DH, and our two DS's (probably 3 1/2 and 2 at the time). I decided on Poly mainly due to the transportation options there.

So, here's my issue. I don't know what type of room to pick. I really want to stay concierge, but am torn, so I need some help figuring stuff out. I have visited tikiman's page (great, by the way) but I still need some more personal experience advice. Price is not so much an issue. We plan to use our tax refund to pay for the trip, and it will be enough for us to splurge a bit.

Here are the options I am considering, and the questions/concerns I have about each Any feedback would be most helpful:

1. Lagoon View Concierge-obviously, the most expensive option. Is THE VIEW worth it? I know the "worth" of the concierge level in general, and the convenience of the lounge and the preplanning are worth it enough to us to justify the expense. However, are these rooms guaranteed to have castle views? The main reason I would choose this option is so my boys can see the castle from the room, hear the train whistle, see the fireworks and Water Pageant, etc. However, if the view might be blocked by trees or something, I'm not sure the expense is justified. I also like the idea of a ground floor room, where the boys can run out and play in the sand while we sit on the patio. Sounds great to me! :thumbsup:

2. Garden View Concierge-We would choose this option if there were no lagoon view concierge rooms available, but I wonder, for the price, is one of the options below better?

3. Lagoon View (in one of the newer longhouses)--The main reason I would consider this category is due to the extra space in these rooms. Is it really a lot of extra room? We will have our 2 year old most likely in the queen bed with rails and the older one in the daybed, so we won't need a crib, but we'll have a double stroller plus all the other "gear" toddlers require. Is the extra space worth giving up concierge?

4. Magic Kingdom View (in one of the newer longhouses)--again, for the extra space. I am wondering if it's worth more for a MK view or is just a lagoon view good enough? If we don't do concierge, we would definitely want one of these newer longhouses, due to the larger room size as well as the proximity to the TTC, which will come in handy.

TIA for any input!

Cinderelley
04-14-2007, 12:53 AM
My 4 kids and I stayed at the Polynesian (Garden View Concierge) in 2005. I didn't think the concierge was worth it. I like planning all my own stuff, and I'm assuming since you're on icot a lot, you do too. While we were there, the concierge couldn't even help us figure out where we were supposed to meet for the special safari at AK (neither could guest relations at AK :confused: ), so we wound up missing it. My kids did enjoy being able to run up to the concierge lounge to get food when they wanted, but yours aren't old enough to do that on their own.

Obviously I didn't have a stroller to contend with, but the room was big enough for a week's worth of luggage for the 5 of us.

I was rather disappointed in the view of the castle. I had only been to Disneyland before that, and everything is so compact there, I expected to be able to see the whole castle when people mentioned that you can see it. In actuality, you can only see the very top from the concierge lounge. I do have a picture that I took from O'hana. If you want me to send it to you so that you can see your view, PM me your email address. I don't remember being able to hear the trains at MK either, but I wasn't really listening for that.

It was nice to be able to see the water pageant while lounging around. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw it from the resort.

BelleCiavo
04-14-2007, 10:05 AM
We haven't been to the Poly since the refurbishment, but my understaanding is that Hawaii has one sink in the bathroom and Tahiti (and Tokelau and Rapa Nui) has two sinks. Also I believe there is an extra chair in the larger rooms. We definitely noticed the room when we stayed there with a crib. We tucked it between the armoire and the closet area, again, not sure if this will still work.