PDA

View Full Version : Walkway Between MGM & Epcot?

ILoveLegos
04-13-2007, 01:11 PM
While I was checking the Official Disney Site and viewing the plethora of cool on-line videos there in anticipation of my next late September /early October trip, I got a "fun fact pop-up" on the side that said that you can walk between MGM & Epcot. That sounds cool to me and I think that I have read posts about boat transportation between these two parks also. Our first full day @ WDW will have us in both parks MGM first then Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival we'll be snacking around the world. :thumbsup: I'd like to try to travel between parks in ways that are outside of the "norm" for our family. A little bit anyway, although we love the Buses getting on a Boats or Monorails is a good ride too - we feel that leaving the car at home is a real nice treat. In the past, we'd usually drive daily from our "second home" in Florida, (recently we have stayed on property 4 days totally using the bus sytem, this time we're staying on property a whole week) (grand gathering thingy happening this time :thumbsup: ). I'm a little MGM challenged, I've never seen fantasmic and have no idea where the stadium for viewing it is, although I've seen crowds of people going toward the Beaty and the Beast show area when the park is closing (but I always head for the exit at that time :blush: ). I'm familiar with where the buses pick you up outside MGM and where to get on the tram that takes you to the parking lot, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the path to Epcot begins or where the boat dock is in relation to the entrance of MGM (inf act, I don't think I've ever seen a body of water at MGM). I also have no idea where in Epcot you'll end up at the end of the boat ride or the walk. Can someone please clear up my confusion in about how to travel between these two parks besides on a bus. How long of a walk or boat ride is it one-way? How often does the boat run? Many Thanks!

robhink
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Both the walkway and Boat end up at the International Gateway in Epcot, which is between the United Kingdom and France in World Showcase. The boats run about every 20 mins, it takes around a half hour or so to get there since the boats stop at the Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach Club. I'm not sure how long the walk is but I would think it should take around 30 mins as well.

The boat dock is to your left after you exit Disney MGM, and the pathway can be found if you head straight from the exit and then walk to the other side of the water area.

MOJoe
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Some one else is bound to be more informed than me, but i know when you exit MGM, to get to the boat launch you walk to the left. There is a canal with a walkway beside it which takes you by the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin. Keep walking and you'll go past the Beach Club to the International Gateway into Epcot. The boats run every 15 or so minutes. I'd say it's at least a 40 minute walk to Epcot. I don't know if there is a direct boat from MGM to Epcot, or if you have to stop at the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin. Unless you have a lot of energy, or just want to see the other resorts, i would take the boat.

Zippy_D_DooDah
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
When I was there in February, I hopped the boat from MGM (this was during my "Daddy Day") and got off at the Swan. From that launch I took a left and went over the bridge that heads to Boardwalk. Stopped in a few shops and then went to The International Gateway. It was a nice relaxing walk.

LuvAllPrincesses
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
We walked from Epcot to MGM one evening, not by choice, but that's a whole other story. It was a solid 30 minutes walking at a good pace, and it wasn't a very exciting walk once we were beyond the Epcot-hotels area. I wouldn't recommend it - take a boat ride! But don't miss Fantasmic, it's wonderful!!

AliceinDisney
04-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Lets put it this way, if you are daring enough to walk that you're gonna be super fit after your trip to Disney with how many miles you walk in a day around the place! Disney's a great way to lose 10 lbs hahah.

CanadianWDWFan
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
We stayed at the BWI last summer and what we found was, if the boat isn't there DON'T wait for it. You will beat it by walking. We walked from Epcot to MGM on several occasions and beat the boat everytime. The time that the boat spends docking and waiting for passengers at all the resorts really adds to the boat ride. Also the boat tends to be very stuff in the summer, the AC really can't cut it and the diesel fumes are something else.:sick:

The walk from Epcot to BWI was less than 5 minutes and the walk from BWI to MGM was about 15-20 minutes depending on our walking speed.

ILoveLegos
04-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Cool, thanks for your replies - we plan to either walk or take the boat - can't wait!

Red Randal
04-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I would take the boat to the first Epcot resort it stops at (Swan & Dolphin, I think) and then walk from there. Its the best of both worlds.

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
The average visitor to WDW walks MANY miles just necessarily getting around the parks.

My friends say I'm a "power walker" but walking from Epcot to MGM (or vice-versa) when there's a boat available is not preferred - unless your training for a marathon.

Taking the boat from MGM and getting off at the Boardwalk to visit there then walking on into Epcot works for me (except next trip when Boardwalk is 'home'.

Here we go again...
04-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I love the walk between Epcot and MGM. I am a slow walker with bad knees but still do the walk. Since you are walking along the water line it is a way to get away from the madness of the parks. I find it a very relaxing walk... about 15 minutes.

joelkfla
04-13-2007, 11:14 PM
There is a shortcut that will cut a few minutes off the walk.

After you cross under the highway bridge, you'll come to the Boardwalk tennis couts on your right. You can cut right just past the tennis courts through the handicap parking out to the main Boardwalk entrance road, then turn left to the hotel main entrance. Next to the lobby entrance there are stairs that I think are marked "To the Boardwalk", which take you down to rejoin the pathway.

DisneyDudet
04-14-2007, 12:35 AM
We quit taking the boats from MGM to Epcot and the resorts. It takes us longer to get from one to the other if we take the boat. Usually, you have to plan it exactly right to get a boat ready to leave when you are. Plus, in the summer, when its full of people, it isn't cool, and they yelled at us for opening the windows. After that, we quit riding. The only other time we rode was when it was raining in Dec.

It doesn't take us very long from one end to the other. If you stay on the BW side, it might be about 20 min or so. We walk 5Ks, so that little strip isn't a big deal to us. We like the walk. We get to talk w/o being distracted by shops and people. There's been ducks, some with babies that we walk along side of. Its pleasant and quiet.

If you aren't much of a walker, then its not for you. You can take the boat. Last time I was there, I do remember a bus b/w MGM and Epcot, but maybe that only runs at high times. It wasn't a very fast bus.

Pirate Granny
04-14-2007, 02:10 AM
We stayed at the YC and I always walked to either EPCOT or MGM and once between the two parks...I'm not a health nut, and I was pushing my father in his wheelchair...it's a peaceful, wonderful walk...I took off my shoes and dad held them and I enjoyed the walk, sight and sunny weather...we did take the boat once, and people that walked got there well before us...we watched them...SMILE...:pirate:

AliceinDisney
04-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Don't waste money joining Golds , Just go to Disneyworld:number1:

just tigger
04-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi we stay at the Boardwalk, often and always walk, between Epcot and MGM. Just use the International Gateway at World Showcase and walk through one of the openings to the Boardwalk, the pool area is a good choice. The path is right there on the water way. The whole walk shouldn't take more than 25 to 30 minutes. Much better than waiting for a bus or boat. :mickey:

January-2007
04-14-2007, 09:02 AM
We are staying at the Beach Club next month and are very excited about not having to bus it or boat it over to Epcot and MGM. We are definately walking! (At least to get there in the morning... we'll see about when we return from MGM very late at night...) Have a great trip! :mickey:

A Big Kid
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
It is not really that far. It is only about 1.5 miles from gate to gate. They only time I have found this walk to be a problem is during the marathon! It is at about the 23.5 mile mark to the 25 mile mark.

TinksPixieDust
04-14-2007, 01:17 PM
My family does this walk all the time. If there are long lines for the boat/just missed the boat you most definitely will beat the boat by walking. I agree that EPCOT to MGM would probably take 20 minutes or so from gate to gate, but its not a bad walk. Obviously if its really hot out and you try and sprint walk it.. it wont be enjoyable... but it keeps the legs moving... Sittin on the boat for 15 minutes make you legs too tired! haha :) I'd recommend the walk :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
We stayed at the BWI last summer and what we found was, if the boat isn't there DON'T wait for it. You will beat it by walking. We walked from Epcot to MGM on several occasions and beat the boat everytime. The time that the boat spends docking and waiting for passengers at all the resorts really adds to the boat ride. Also the boat tends to be very stuff in the summer, the AC really can't cut it and the diesel fumes are something else.:sick:

The walk from Epcot to BWI was less than 5 minutes and the walk from BWI to MGM was about 15-20 minutes depending on our walking speed.
This post is extremely accurate! :thumbsup:

The subject of the "walk" from MGM to either the BW or EPCOT comes up all the time on these boards.

My personal feeling (yes, my opinion): The walk from MGM is the most overrated, over exaggerated walk in all of Walt Disney World.

Now I'm not stating the walk is for everyone. It's not. But for healthy children and adults, it's a nice, relaxing walk along the water that will easily beat the boats 9 times out of 10.

The best shortcut going in either direction is to walk on the BW side (not BC/YC side) and cut through the BW's main pool.

In fact, the walk to MGM is much shorter from many of the rooms in the BWV than the walk to EPCOT (depending on your room's location).

So to those who are healthy enough out there - quit waiting for the boat and do some good walking! :walk: