PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #2

King Triton
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Great replies so far to question #1 (in Theme Parks).

Here's #2, one that is often debated:
- Wilderness Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Lodge

Reply early and often...and keep your eyes open over the weekend for #3 in Dining.

darthmacho
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow, you weren't kidding. That was soon...

I laways wondered what my answer would have been had AKL been open at the time of my honeymoon in 1998. Most likely i would have lobbyed (no pun) to stay there, and today it would be my favorite resort.

Nevertheless, we picked WL, at which we had such a magical time, that it will no doubt always be our favorite. :pine:

Interestingly, AKL is my second favorite resort, and that's only based on a visit and a dinner there.

They are both truly beautiful resorts.

King Triton
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
This was a tough choice for me, because I like them both.

The savanna at AKL makes it an experience unlike any other. I also give the edge to AKL for the pool and I give Boma and Mara an edge over Whispering Canyon and Roaring Forks.

However, I voted for Wilderness. The theming is great and it has a transportation edge over AKL. Where I give it the biggest advantage is its grounds. AKL is kind of restricted, since the savanna rightly takes up a lot of space. At WL, I feel like you can take much more advantage of the space...go walking, biking, boating, etc.

Can't go wrong with either though.

conwayjohn71
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I voted on the poll but really can not post which is my fav

I do not want to give any clues as to where we are staying june 5th - 12th

Family knows we are going but no details

They are in for a SURPRISE:secret: :thumbsup:

Spaceship Tigger
04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
This was a tough choice for me, because I like them both.

The savanna at AKL makes it an experience unlike any other. I also give the edge to AKL for the pool and I give Boma and Mara an edge over Whispering Canyon and Roaring Forks.

However, I voted for Wilderness. The theming is great and it has a transportation edge over AKL. Where I give it the biggest advantage is its grounds. AKL is kind of restricted, since the savanna rightly takes up a lot of space. At WL, I feel like you can take much more advantage of the space...go walking, biking, boating, etc.

Can't go wrong with either though.

I almost completely agree with your reasons. I love the AKL, but the only area to really walk around in is the pool area. WL has the nearby Fort Wilderness area for waking/biking as an advantage, as well as the whole lake area to see.

Caroleh
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I voted for WL, because we debated these 2 resorts for our next stay. The savannahs sounds fantastic and we love Boma, but the biggest downfall was transportation.

We love the theming of WL and the location is a lot better the AKL.

pshokie
04-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Having never stayed at a resort before (refer to my sig) I really have no frame of reference, except this....

After Ibooked the Poly and found this site, I started planing "fake" trips just to see what other resorts and seasons would cost, etc.

When I saw photos of the WL lobby... WOW! :eyes: next time we gotta stay there!

Jen66
04-13-2007, 10:00 AM
My whole family fell in love with AKL when we ate at Boma during our first trip. WL is beautiful too, but we just love the animals and theming more at AKL. We are staying there for the first time in July! I cannot wait!

magicman
04-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I voted AKL. The savanna, Boma, & the nighttime fire with African children's stories...too cool.

BigRedDad
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I have not been to WL, but voted for it. We stayed at AKL or our Honeymoon. For that and being on the second floor of the Savana made it worth it. However, the waits and travel times were more than enough to have me not want to stay there again. It was great for our Honeymoon, Savana, and atmosphere. Now that we have a child, I wouldn't stay there again.

WL I am sure is just as nice. The proximity to everything makes it more appealing to me. Plus, it will bring back the childhood memories of camping out of FW.

Figgyluv03
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
WL! I absolutely love it there!!! I did some lifeguard training there and had a blast!!!

Brer Longhorn
04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
I'd have to go with Wilderness Lodge. The themeing at both is great and the both feel like an experience in and of themselves, but for me the feeling at WL is just wonderful! Plus, the location makes WL more attractive.

marlyn
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
AKL was my vote. I feel like I am in a totally different country when I am there. The animals, the African theming is just gorgeous.

I live in Western Canada so WL feels like home to me. It is beautiful yes, but I see that every day out my window. :)

Tynkerbelle
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Definitely WL for me! We stayed at both last year and while we enjoyed our Savannah view room (very unique and something to experience at least once) and Jiko's, we liked the overall feel of the WL better. It was very cool to see the MK lit up all night, we watched the electric water parade from our balcony and felt both a part of the action (being just a boat ride away from FW, MK other resorts etc.) and yet away from it all, too (AKL was a little too away from it all for us)....

Crow
04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
WL
AP AP AP! yes i loved my 2 times eating there and its been a few yrs so in Sept ill b staying at WL and eating at AP
the boat to MK
walk or boat to Ft Wilderness, where you can eat at the best buffet deal on property at Trails End
the lobby
Old Faithful
even the health club
AKL- well i met my ex there and she works there (i think still)
stayed 2 times and had parking lot views:ack:
Jiko & Boma are pretty good and the gift shop is great. the theme is good.

starrmomof2
04-13-2007, 08:53 PM
We haven't stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but stayed at Wilderness Lodge last September and totally fell in love with it. I'm going with WL on the vote purely because when we had to choose where to stay, the WL won out sight unseen.

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
04-14-2007, 06:20 AM
We haven't stayed at either one, but we have visited both and prefered Wilderness Lodge. The theming and atmosphere where incredible.

Hopefully will stay here on one of our future trips.

T-Belle
04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
OK, I've never stayed at either one of them, not that I wouldn't won't too( it's a $ budget $ thing). So I based my answer on which one I would stay in first if $ wasn't an issue and WL came in 1st. AKL looks SO wonderful, but it's so far away, which may be a positive factor for a lot of people.

Goofy Dad 13
04-14-2007, 10:34 AM
AKL, AKL, AKL. The transportation has never been an issue, and it is like a vacation within a vacation.

Is transportation time really that different? Much like MK for WL, AKL is a MUCH shorter trip to AK. AKL is not that far from Epcot and MGM.

DizneyFreak2002
04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I like the looks of both, but chose Wilderness Lodge since I am staying there in May/June...

Bethanymouse
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Wilderness Lodge all the way- AKL just isnt as spectacular as I thought it would be.

Mariašoš
04-15-2007, 10:27 AM
My vote is for AKL. Simply because I like to experience things that you can't necessarily find other places in the states. Where else here in the states can you find wildlife right outside of your room? The whole atmosphere at AKL is out of this world. WL...you can find other resorts that very closely match this resort here in the US.

disneyfan1124
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
AKL will get our vote every time. We love the story telling and the CM involvement, the animals, the peace and quiet, the romance of the savannah...can't wait for next trip!

wilshade
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Talk about 2 resorts being evenly matched! I have not stayed at either, but I have visited both on numerous occasions.

I love, love, love Wilderness Lodge . . but . . . I had to vote for AKL because of all the unique offerings. Boma, Jiko, the Savanah.

Mickey91
04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I voted for WL. We have never stayed at AK, so I cannot say that I wouldn't love it as well. But, for the money, I can't believe I would be happy enough at AK to give up the trans and electric water pageant.

BrerSchultzy
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I have never stayed at AKL, but I have walked around...and it is beautiful...but it has what I call the "Grand Floridian Effect" on me...I feel like I'm underdressed when I'm there. I know most everyone else is wearing Mickey T-Shirts and shorts, but I still feel out of place there. But WL doesn't have that effect (strange, since they're built so similarly).

Now, if I traveled with a pith helmet and khaki safari outfit...that'd be a different story.

avantgardeinker
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
My Disney Dream is to one day stay at the AKL even if it is only for one night.

:mickey:

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Animal Kingdom Lodge is my vote

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I've never stayed at WL but I have stayed at AKL and it was amazing. the rooms were great and I had a savanah view room so it was great to have some morning coffee while seing giraffes below my balcony!
:goofy: