PDA

View Full Version : nov/dec dates question

3girlsdisneydreams
04-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi everyone... :mickey:

first let me say how excited I am to have found this site.. it is AMAZING! and I am sure I will be "living" here for a long while. LOL

second, I apologize if this is a question that has been asked way too many times.

We had planned on going the first week of Dec this year.. but now reading about the parade, etc...
I am thinking of moving it to Dec 5 - 10. Our other option would be Nov 14 - 19 (looks like this will cost a little more).

This will be my daughters first trip to Disney (ages 5, 3 and 1).. so with those ages we obviously want to keep it as least crowded as possible.. however my oldest can only talk about one day seeing the Christmas parade in person.. and we really want to make her dream come true for her first trip .. thus the reason for the dates.. trying for the party dates.

Any thoughts on these two dates and which would be better (thinking Young children) would be greatly appreciated!! Also, (just since it's SO late and I need to finally drag myself away from this site. LOL) if anyone has any links or info they'd like to share on Disney with 3 young children I would definitely be all ears!

Thank you SOO much!! have a great night.

faline
04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Personally, I'd go with the December dates. I've been to Disney World a number of times in early December and it's my favorite time to be there!

The only caution I would have is that weather at this time of year can be a bit unpredictable. On most of our trips, we have enjoyed warm and sunny weather. However, there have been times - such as our last December trip - when the weather can be downright cold (think winter coats and gloves)!

Posting links to other sites would violate Intercot's terms of service though folks could send you a private message with such information.

Carol
04-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Normally for a first trip I'd suggest vacationing when the park was in it's natural state. It really differs greatly when decorations are up. However, they start putting them up so early now - you'll run into that in November too.

(I was disappointed in November when I made my first trip to Disneyland to find the parks decorated for Christmas. It was beautiful - but I wanted to see the 'original'. )

Nonetheless; go during December if your daughter wants to see the parade. You'll have to attend one of the Christmas parties since the parade is not offered to the public during early December.

I wouldn't worry about the weather. The differences between the two months will not vary too much. It does get chilly in December - but it doesn't spoil the fun. It actually feels more 'Christmasy'.

Have you been all over this site? :look:If you go to the top of the screen you find tabs for Info Central, Theme Parks, Resorts ... etc. I don't think you'll need links elsewhere. Info Central pretty much covers everything.

Happy planning. It's half the fun of going. :balloon:

:welcome: to INTERCOT. :hands:

Jeri Lynn
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

I have been many times at the beginning of December...we usually arrive the Sunday after Thanksgiving and stay for a week.

We have had only one trip with cold weather, the other ones were just perfect, but be prepared for either.

Have a great time!

3girlsdisneydreams
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM
thank you everyone!!!

Jeri Lynn.. that week could also be an option for us... I am trying to avoid the parade taping thing, which would have fallen either on our first or last day there and I know those are the days we'll probably want to be at MK. I really don't want their first time walking up main street to be with all the TV stuff getting set up...and it sounds like at least 3 days will be taken up with that going on, fri, sat, sun??
Does anyone know how early they start setting up the stage for the music, etc??? Have you had a problem with it when being there that week?

I'm not too worried about the natural state just because I have been many,many times and once for the holidays.. DH and I spent the millenium new years there. and the girls are young enough that I think when we go again we can do it out of holiday time in a couple years.

sorry for not being clear on the links... I meant links within this site.. but I am sure I will be on here for hours today looking it all over and will find it all. LOL Thanks again!!!!! you guys are great! :thumbsup:

Carol
04-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know how early they start setting up the stage for the music, etc??? Have you had a problem with it when being there that week?I've been at Disneyland and Disney World during the parade taping. It's exactly as you described. Main Street is not the place to be - unless you want to watch the taping. Set up happens over night and it's there when the park opens. Think detours, lots of cables, special lighting, stages and crowds.

I'd stay with your original December dates - unless you can avoid the Magic Kingdom on the weekend. :thumbsup:

3girlsdisneydreams
04-13-2007, 01:53 PM
thanks Carol!! we are going to go later in the mont now.. since I contacted MJ and they told me about Mousefest going on as well..

one more question if you all don't mind...

if you had a 6 night option... would you rather go Wed - Mon or Tues - Sun?? (airfare appears to be the same $$)

I am thinking if we leave monday..less crowds at the airport, leaving the hotel, etc

but if we get there on a tuesday that gives us an extra full weekday to enjoy the park...

thanks again!

Carol
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I'd take the extra week day. :)

wifey5794
04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Welcome!!

You will find tons of usefull information here!

I too would choose an extra weekday. We are going Nov. 27-Dec 4. We are just planning on avoiding the parks on the taping days!

3girlsdisneydreams
04-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advice!!!

we are going to go for the extra weekday and leave on Sunday!! :thumbsup:

Harriet
04-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I went last year leaving my home the Friday after Thanksgiving and returning the following Saturday. It worked out perfect. I got to go to the party and I also was able to avoid the taping as well. The only thing was that Saturday was somewhat crowed but I still had a great time and was able to see all the shows. I would do it again if the chance comes again. The only thing was that it rained the night of the party but I just put my poncho on and jumped right in. The parade was delayed about a half hour and the first castle show got cancelled on us but it was still wonderful.

Magic Smiles
04-14-2007, 10:30 PM
The only caution I would have is that weather at this time of year can be a bit unpredictable. On most of our trips, we have enjoyed warm and sunny weather. However, there have been times - such as our last December trip - when the weather can be downright cold (think winter coats and gloves)!

We are going from 5 - 21 Dec 07. How cold is downright cold? We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, so I do know what one persons idea of cold is not necessarily the same as another persons. Do we need to bring winter jackets, etc???? We usually go in the Apr - May timeframe, but I really want to see Disney in all it Christmas splendor.

faline
04-15-2007, 04:22 PM
We are going from 5 - 21 Dec 07. How cold is downright cold? We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, so I do know what one persons idea of cold is not necessarily the same as another persons. Do we need to bring winter jackets, etc???? We usually go in the Apr - May timeframe, but I really want to see Disney in all it Christmas splendor.

Well, I live in Massachusetts so I know a bit about cold weather! Yes, it can get cold enough to wean winter coats.

The last time we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, it happened to be a very cold night. I wore a camisole with a long sleeve turle neck on top of that and a long sleeve shirt on top of the turtle neck. I also wore stockings and socks under my pants. In addition, I had a winter weight jacket on. There were still some rides we did not do due to the cold temperatures that night (Splash Mountain and Big Thunder for instance) and we left early as it was so cold.

In our experience, this type of cold weather doesn't happen all the time but it can, and does, happen so you should be prepared for all eventualities!

mickey-mouse35
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Our last trip to Disney was first week of December. First couple of days were beautiful in upper 70s, low 80s. It then got cold in am and pm but days were still beautiful. We'd wear a light jacket or sweatshirt over t-shirt in the morning and then take off by 11 am. I do remember a couple of very cold nights waiting for Illuminations at Epcot in my winter coat and gloves and still being cold. I think it got down to 38-40 degrees, which isn't too bad, but with the wind, it was nippy. So, plan to pack for all kinds of weather--be sure to weigh your suitcase so you don't go over the limit!