PDA

View Full Version : Security at WDW Theme Parks

Bill George
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
As I was watching MSNBC today, they reported that an American man from Ohio was arrested today for planning terrorist attacks on American Resorts and places where people gather for Al Qaida.

This made me wonder - Is the security at WDW really keeping us safe or is it more of a measure to make us "feel" safe. I'm speaking of the bag checks at the front gates. Are there other security measures in place that we don't see? Are there armed security people?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments.

DizneyRox
04-12-2007, 08:36 PM
You won't find too much detail regarding your questions here.

Much of the security you see is really just to make you feel safe, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that is "real" security.

That someone was arrested should be enough of an answer.

DisneyFreak102
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
:medic: :yes: :cop: i think there is like behind rde places or places that say STAFF MEMBERS ONLY!!!!!

WDWfanatic742
04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Let's put it this way, they got security camera's all over the place in every park. Not only that but you can also occasionally find the "Disney Police" walking around the park, especially at night. I'm pretty sure that they are out mostly for the feel safe part of it, but occasionally you can find them doing real security things.

janebanks
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Entering EPCOT after September 2001

EPCOT,
I heard your entrance song,
familiar from childhood,
and with your Future World frozen in place
I thought I had finally surpassed you.

But you always insisted on Firsts
and so you funneled me through a new one:
Disney security –
theming even the purple canopies
under which the guards
peered deep into my camera bag.

I clung to the white rope barrier,
a child again,
still awed by a World under your control.

PeterPan
04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
There is vastly more going on than you will ever see. Just think about it...it is the number one tourist destination on PLANET EARTH. Even the air space is carefully watched. Their security budget is absolutly enormous.

SandmanGStefani24
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
keep in mind too, that just like any other business, there are undercover sercurity agents roaming the parks looking just like us. usually for every one security camera/person you see, there are like 4 or 5 that you don't see.

you never know who might be watching...:pepe:

TheRustyScupper
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Regarding Security:

1) Bag searches at entry
. . . mainly for show
. . . would stop only crimes of opportunity
2) Undercover
. . . there are plain clothes operatives (foxes)
. . . they mainly look for shoplifting
. . . but, they are also on the look for suspicious
3) Behind the scenes security
. . . certainly there is some ongoing

NOTE: Certainly there is security, but this is not Fort Knox or a military installation. Security is not tight. Besides, as the USA has well learned, if it is a suicide terrorist/bomber there is little chance that even the best security will stop him/her. I do not know about WDW as a target, but let's face facts, it is not a matter if "if", but "when" there will be another attach of some sort.

Marker
04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
The fact that a suspected terrorist was arrested means that someone was doing their job. I will leave it in their hands to worry about that, they work with resources and facts that we'll never have access to. Worry on my part would be based on speculation and media provided misinformation.

I live 3-4 miles from a munitions factory that according to a recent news report makes 90% of the smaller caliber ammunition used by the US military.... A TARGET.

I live about 50 miles from the home of the B-2 bombers used for bombing runs over Iraq and other places..... A TARGET.

I live a couple hundred miles from what was once the Strategic Air Command headquarters.... A TARGET.

I work for a large telecommunications company which is responsible for a significant portion of communication network in this country... A TARGET.

If I wanted to be paranoid and afraid, I think I probably have just as much reason to fear living right here at home as anywhere else including WDW. I'll be content letting those responsible for worrying about it, handle the worry. If they say my bag should be checked, then I'll graciously let them check my bag. If they say I should take off my shoes at the airport, then I'll happily take off my shoes. Whatever I can do to help, I'll do, but otherwise for me, life goes on.

lindique
04-13-2007, 07:07 PM
During my last trip (March), I saw (for the first time) armed county sheriffs at the entryways to the parks on a few days. Is this a new addition to security?

mttafire
04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
The fact that a suspected terrorist was arrested means that someone was doing their job. I will leave it in their hands to worry about that, they work with resources and facts that we'll never have access to. Worry on my part would be based on speculation and media provided misinformation.

I live 3-4 miles from a munitions factory that according to a recent news report makes 90% of the smaller caliber ammunition used by the US military.... A TARGET.

I live about 50 miles from the home of the B-2 bombers used for bombing runs over Iraq and other places..... A TARGET.

I live a couple hundred miles from what was once the Strategic Air Command headquarters.... A TARGET.

I work for a large telecommunications company which is responsible for a significant portion of communication network in this country... A TARGET.

If I wanted to be paranoid and afraid, I think I probably have just as much reason to fear living right here at home as anywhere else including WDW. I'll be content letting those responsible for worrying about it, handle the worry. If they say my bag should be checked, then I'll graciously let them check my bag. If they say I should take off my shoes at the airport, then I'll happily take off my shoes. Whatever I can do to help, I'll do, but otherwise for me, life goes on.
AMEN!! Agreed 100% I will also add, I love reading about how the British "citizens" STILL went to movies and theatre EVEN when the Germans was bombing Britain. Life MUST go on as normal..Thats freedom!

The Bookseller
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
As far as I know, there's two types of security personel at WDW:

First, you got the "Ground Crew". Those guys in the park. Many are retired policemens, teachers and other minded professions where diplomacy is the norm. These are the ones who kindly tell you to "Please don't do that!". They are gentle-spoken and nice.

Then, you got the "Ninjas". Those are the ones who come running out of nowhere when the ground crew can't cope with a problem. They generaly grab the offending character, kindly bring it back stage and turn him to the cops.

You will never see the Ninjas until it's too late, so be nice.

JPL
04-14-2007, 01:07 AM
During my last trip (March), I saw (for the first time) armed county sheriffs at the entryways to the parks on a few days. Is this a new addition to security?

This may have had something to do with the cash register thief they finally caught at Pop Century I think that is the proper time frame.

ISLE39
04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
ME being a law enforcement graduate i dont think disney takes the proper security measures let me explain why. one they check your bags when you go in right first your not allowed food and drinks technically in the park but they let you 2 sure if i know my bag is getting checked im not gonna leave anything dangerous in it like a gun or a knife but rather on my person my body bc hey they dont check your body your pockets etc. at universal you have to walk thru a metal detector which would get both your bag and your person. if you think about it if someone walked thru disney gates with cargo shorts or cargo pants nothing is being inspected on there body only the bags. and geez if theydont have a nag they go right to the entrance gate. would it be too late if something were to come about in the park with a group of terrorists sure
do i worry sure i do.
i wish that if disney was going to waste all of our time checking bags at least spend the money put in metal detectors and do it that way. id feel safer and that my time isnt wasted
thanks for letting me vent this has always pondered my mind.

DisnIse
04-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Disney Security Ninjas :cool:

I love that image.....

The security checkpoint thing drives my DH crazy because it really is just for show. If someone wants to do something bad at Disney, they'll find their way around security.
That said, I almost picture a Las Vegas type security system at Disney, and I really do trust that wiser and more savvy people than me are doing their best to protect me.

mickey98
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
ME being a law enforcement graduate i dont think disney takes the proper security measures let me explain why. one they check your bags when you go in right first your not allowed food and drinks technically in the park but they let you 2 sure if i know my bag is getting checked im not gonna leave anything dangerous in it like a gun or a knife but rather on my person my body bc hey they dont check your body your pockets etc. at universal you have to walk thru a metal detector which would get both your bag and your person. if you think about it if someone walked thru disney gates with cargo shorts or cargo pants nothing is being inspected on there body only the bags. and geez if theydont have a nag they go right to the entrance gate. would it be too late if something were to come about in the park with a group of terrorists sure
do i worry sure i do.
i wish that if disney was going to waste all of our time checking bags at least spend the money put in metal detectors and do it that way. id feel safer and that my time isnt wasted
thanks for letting me vent this has always pondered my mind.

Ok. We could sit here all day and think of ways that the park could be attacked.. either on the ground or in the air.. Lets face it WDW is a FAMILY theme park that is suppose to be a fantsyland.. If someone wanted to attack it they could no matter how much bag check is done.. Lets explore adding metal detectors.. It will greatly add to the entrance time.. it is sometimes already long enough.. now by adding metal detectors.. look what it will do to the look of the entrances.. WDW is suppose to be fun.. what's next adding bars to the windows.. Lets look at it for what it is.. a theme park for fun and dreams.. not a security prison........... :drill:

Nick Mc
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Most of the security is beind the scenes... they have Orange County Police walking around everywhere backstage. They even have bomb sniffing dogs back there, that no one sees ever unless they have suspissions. One time when I was woring at Spaceship Earth, we had a bag sitting outfront unattended, we had to call security right away, and they had OCPD out there with-in min. come to find out the people were in the gift shops and was nothing serous, but the police man was calling for the dog right before they got there and then cancelled it, but yes they do have people around, probably not as good as they should but still they have more than what you think. and they have securty camera EVERYWHERE, not a inch of the park (besides restrooms) are no under camera's, including backstage.

Jared
04-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Wanting metal detectors at the parks' entrances is a legitimate concern. The current security measures could not prevent someone from walking into the park with a weapon. Like one of the above posters said, no potential threat will put a gun in their bag, knowing the guards will peer inside.

But not wanting metal detectors is also understandable. Entering a Walt Disney World theme park would turn into an airport checkpoint. Guests would have to arrive extra early to get inside because a logjam at the gate would be inevitable.

Perhaps this issue is worth exploring.

Jerry2
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I’m with marker and mttafire!

I was a few blocks from the World Trade Center on 9/11, and continued to work in Manhattan until last year. For weeks after the attack it wasn’t unusual to see crowds of people running in a panic because a suspicious package or often for some unknown reason.

I’ve always been a safety minded person. Whenever I’m in a public place I look for fire exits. Every night I make sure that all the stairways and pathways to all doors in my house are clear. I insist on seatbelts in my car and I actually drive at the speed limit! I even read the instructions that come with my power tools!

My feeling is that everyone should keep their eyes open whenever they are in a public place, but I refuse to change my lifestyle out of fear. You are probably more likely to get run over by a Main Street Transportation vehicle than be a victim of a nut with a gun or bomb in WDW. I believe in vigilance but not in fear.

TiggerRPh
04-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Let's put it this way, they got security camera's all over the place in every park. Not only that but you can also occasionally find the "Disney Police" walking around the park, especially at night. I'm pretty sure that they are out mostly for the feel safe part of it, but occasionally you can find them doing real security things.

Actually not...in MK the only security cameras are on Main Street and those are for "crowd control".

Most of the "security work" is being done by undercover security....there's more security in the parks than you think.

Marker
04-14-2007, 12:14 PM
and geez if theydont have a nag they go right to the entrance gate

Well, I typically have my wife with me, but I wouldn't dare to say :doh:....... well, never mind.

Dude, with all due respect, think about a little punctuation. That was hard to read.

Seasonscraps
04-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I always hope there is more going on behind the scenes because having someone peak in my bag for a second does nothing to make me feel more secure. I would prefer to see more security measures such as a metal detector then waste time on a line just for show.

Donald A
04-14-2007, 03:01 PM
The bag check is just for show. This is similar to sporting events and even the airports. It really doesn't do much except make people that don't know any better feel at ease.

Bottom line, though, I am sure there are undercover security people in a lot of places at WDW. I am also sure there is a security central and that it is probably pretty hi-tech. I mean they aren't going to show it to the public or media, but I imagine it exists. I also think the airspace over the WDW resort is very monitored perhaps even restricted.

mrsHerbie53
04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
If Disney would put metal detectors in, you would think with their technologically advanced imagineers they could add a microchip to "weed out" the kiljoys that people write about on other threads that continually try to squash the magic! You know, the line jumpers or the ungrateful rude people that you want to just say "Hey be nice" to...

:thumbsup: