PDA

View Full Version : WiFi?

Physcayt
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
:surf: Does VWL have Wifi? For that matter, do any of the resorts have wifi?

Clotho
04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I understand that no resort rooms offer WiFi. there has been some talk that some lobbies might have it, but not the rooms.

You can bring your own wireless hub and plug it into the wall, tho.

Strmchsr
04-12-2007, 09:24 PM
You can find a complete list of resorts with wifi and high speed internet options (all for a nominal fee, of course) here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/computing/howtoconnect.asp) in Info Central.

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Why do you need WiFi at Disney World????

rnin02
05-16-2007, 12:18 AM
work reasons for us...

BronxTigger
05-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Why do you need WiFi at Disney World????

DUH! To post live trip reports to Intercot! ;)

:D

TomDecapolis
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Does anyone else think the $10 a day for internet access is a bit pricey? Most hotels these days offer free internet access.

Tom

rnin02
05-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Does anyone else think the $10 a day for internet access is a bit pricey? Most hotels these days offer free internet access.

Tom

Yeah, its a bit much. Even the run down, yucky, $39/night hotel we stayed at last month had free wireless access.

TiggerRPh
05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, its a bit much. Even the run down, yucky, $39/night hotel we stayed at last month had free wireless access.

But the HSIA at the WDW resorts is vastly more dependable. I've been in plenty of hotels where the WiFi quality varied vastly depending on the location of the room.

A Big Kid
05-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I just hooked up with wireless internet from verizon and I love it. I opted for the tether which connects to your cell phone via a usb cable. Your phone becomes a modem and works awesome. I even surf the net while my wife drives! There is no air time charge - it is a flat $59 fee.

It is $59 dollars a month with the first month free and you cancel anytime after the 3rd month.

It is the coolest thing since Al Gore invented the internet.

(No, I do not work for verizon.)

Through the looking Glass
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
But the HSIA at the WDW resorts is vastly more dependable. I've been in plenty of hotels where the WiFi quality varied vastly depending on the location of the room.
I actually had problems at BWV. Service was fine at 7:00am and as the day went on it slowed down to the point I couldn't use it.

Tinkerfreak
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM

It was horrible at the BC in December. Not only was it undependable but we couldn't find anyone that knew enough to help us. My neice was really upset and felt like they did not want to help her. There were other people having problems also at the same time as her and we saw people couple of times complaining at the desk about it and they looked very frustrated also.

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I actually had problems at BWV. Service was fine at 7:00am and as the day went on it slowed down to the point I couldn't use it.

1) The internet service is not DSL.
2) The more people on,the slower it gets.
3) Sometimes it is lightning fast.
4) Other times it is molasses slow.

5) The moral you're on vacation, leave the laptop at home.

NOTE: WDW outsources the internet services. Thus, there is no one on staff at any resort to assist with problems. There is a help phone number, and that is all.

What-r-ya, Goofy?
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I don’t think I’m alone when I say that Disney is really missing the boat by not using the internet (or even an intranet) as a great way to communicate and disseminate information to their guests.

Just think how great it would be to be able to go on-line and confirm your ADR for that night, check the latest weather forecast, convert your 7-day park hopper to an AP, see if the are any fast passes left for Soarin’, or see what the current standby wait time is.

These are all very doable things, things that I think people are going to come to expect as part of the Disney experience. I thought Disney prided itself on being on the cutting edge of technology? Ten dollars a day for bad internet access? I think they can do better than that!;)

Nekochan
05-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Wi fi is also used by kids and their nintendo ds systems (a handheld game for those who don't know). My son can connect with anyone in the world who has the same game and access to the internet, either usb cable or wireless router. VERY cool.

Not2Loud
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I had my laptop at the FW cabins in Feb. I used it to do work and to play games with my daughter while mom was napping. DD3 likes to visit http://www.starfall.com for learning purposes.

Our trip was 9 nights, so being able to check in on email and the like was helpful. I am self-employed, so being away has its advantages, and disadvantages.

I have recently gone to a Cingular 8125 cell phone which runs Microsoft Windows Mobile. I pay $19 for data, which allows me to access emails and the web. Granted, the web browser doesn't work that great on many sites. My point, I found a way to free myself from the laptop to play at the parks all day, but take an occasional glance at the work stuff so I can stay even longer next time!

Woohoo....do you think 2 weeks is too long?

Clotho
05-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I am self-employed as well, and need to keep track of my mail even on vacation as well. There is no one back home who is filling in for me when I am away, as most jobs allow for. If I am not doing the work, it isn't getting done. So the WiFi is important!