PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway fan?

Jerry2
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I may be in the minority but I am not a fan of the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway. The lines always move slowly, and it’s boring, and smelly. I feel the real estate can be better utilized. I’m sure a lot of you have strong feelings about this. I’m curious about how you all feel.

poeticeclipse
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I think you'll be surprised by how many people agree with you. I dislike the attraction as well. It's very generic and nothing special for a 2 hour wait.

slt21
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I thought it was awesome.....

when I was 7. I was excited by any opportunity to operate a vehicle, even if it was as basic as the cars at the Speedway.

It's nice for kids who like getting to be the driver, but beyond that I don't see much appeal.

LoriMistress
04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
It's a classic, but not a good classic. If you're five-years-old then you will enjoy the ride. Long waits for a extremely show (on track) go kart ride.

magicman
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I know that it is a legacy ride; however, the ride is no longer novel. I'm sure back when WDW first came into being something like the Speedway wasn't available at many other places, but it's no longer something you see and say, "Wow!"

It has a huge footprint, and I'm with Jerry2 in believing that the real estate could be used for something better.

jray21
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I also think they need to replace it. It is good for kids but they could get the same result with a much smaller ride. It is way too big of a space waster for what it is. When you take into account the walkway from toontown fair to Tomorrowland there is a ton of space to build a few rides.

TikiGoddess
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
PLEASE, someone do something with this ride. I rode it with my 3 yr old last year. Long wait, hot, smelly, polluting, hard to steer... 'nuff said.

TikiG

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
My kids love it, I try to avoid it at all costs. :secret:
It is just not my favorite way to spend my time. We waited 30 minutes last September to go on it when everything else had no wait or a 5 minute wait, even SM.

alpro2
04-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Can anybody actually steer those cars? Plus it feels like it is 25 degrees hotter at this attraction.

DisneyGRL7
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I thought it was awesome.....

when I was 7.

Haha, very true. I think it's just too generic for a Disney attraction. It's basically just go-carts you can find at a local amusement place.

dolphinmickey9170
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I avoid it!! I just don't like it! My DH, however, likes it.

GrmGrninGost
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Sure, as an adult the Indy Speedway isn't the most exciting ride at WDW. But, what about to the children the park was created for? To them it's a chance to actually drive a car! Cool!! I think it is a shame that we adults try to take away the rides that can bring a family together to make room for another thrill ride that appeals to mainly a small percentage of folks. Leave the Disney parks for families!

jrpersinger
04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
The last time we went, we rode it about 8 times in one day. My kids loved it. We also didn't have to wait in line but once. One guy working there kept letting us in a side gate when he found out DH was on RnR from Iraq. He said it was the least he could do! :thumbsup:

I think if they would have referbbed it to the Cars theme and electric cars as was rumored it would be a awesome ride!

kellyaca
04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I love this ride.It brings back alot of memories from when I was little and driving the car and getting a little paper drivers licence at the end.

Melanie
04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
My boys love it and that's what important to me. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be opposed to change though.

rsumrall
04-13-2007, 12:31 AM
On top of being a mediocre ride that breaks down very, very frequently, it is one of the slowest loading rides in the MK. Avoid it at all costs!

iceicebritney
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
oh my gosh, i hope they dont change that! its one of our favorites. that'd be a sad day!:(

i know a lot of ppl complain that its not realistic because the cars dont let u stear... but its a lot of fun for the little kids. my 4 yr old nephew thinks he's such a big kid when hes driving on the tomorrowland speedway!

plus its fun for us older kids to ram eachother at the 'unloading zone' and get yelled at by the pit crew hehehe... my brother deserves it!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
04-13-2007, 05:32 AM
While I personally find it to be a smelly eyesore, I couldn't vote to change it. Judging from the lines I always see there, it is popular with a lot of people.

big blue and hairy
04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
I'd like to see WDW change the Indy Speedway to something themed to Cars, and use newer technology...electric...to eliminate the smell and polution.

I know a lot of folks have a connection to it, but since the first time I went to WDW, I was 29.....not so much....:)

:sulley:

RAIDER
04-13-2007, 07:24 AM
For me its a good bit of nostalgia and the lines for it are always busy ... I personally love it :thumbsup:

T-Belle
04-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Now that my children are grown, I don't have to pretend to like it anymore.

flying carpet
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Peter Pan would be dissapointed in you!

I can remember 30 years ago when I first went to the Magic Kingdon and I saw those cars! AWSOME! I wanted to stay all day. My kids love it! Kids are the heart of the Magic Kindgom. Watch a childs face when they get to drive a car.

Bear Lee
04-13-2007, 08:37 AM
As a kid I always loved "driving" the cars. Now as a parent, my 2 boys enjoy it even more than I did!

AmberB
04-13-2007, 10:28 AM
While driving and old, slow, car doesn't sound fun to me, kids love to be grownups and driving a car is an important part of being a grown up. I think that it could go under a major refurbishment to be greatly improved, but i don't think it should be taken out. I can see people's emotional attachment to the current theme, but I think a Cars theme would be great on it (and make my little boy even more excited about it!).

caryrae
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't think most people want to get rid of the ride just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs to drive through and maybe a field where you could have the Tractors and have some of them tip up when you drive by them, like when they do the Tractor tipping in the movie.

Dopey's Girl
04-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't mind the actual ride, but can't get near it to ride! Those fumes are :ack: :ack: ! If they could change the cars to something less asthma attach inducing, it would be ok, but as it stands now, I avoid the area at all costs!

(OHH!! My first post with my custom avatar!!! Thanks Beth!)

Donald A
04-13-2007, 11:08 AM
It is a classic. Look up at where I live so I am biased. Honestly, I do not ride it every trip though.

Jeff G
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
THough I personally don't care for this ride due to the long lines and lack of excitement I'm sure most 3-10 yr olds do.

I would hate to see WDW shut this down because that would mean all of the people who are standing in this line for an hour would end up being in lines of rides I actually want ot go on.

Jerry2
04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Peter Pan would be dissapointed in you!

I can remember 30 years ago when I first went to the Magic Kingdon and I saw those cars! AWSOME! I wanted to stay all day. My kids love it! Kids are the heart of the Magic Kindgom. Watch a childs face when they get to drive a car.

Well put! I think I was looking at it through an adult’s eyes. :unsure:

I think I should have added one more option in the poll. I should have also asked who thought that Indy just needs a MAJOR overhaul.

As a few of you folks said, electric cars would be a step in the right direction. If the cars ran on electrical power and were electronically controlled, they could electronically make them sound like real race cars rather than lawn mowers. They wouldn’t smell like gasoline and engine fumes. They could have sensors on them to keep them on the track and keep them from ramming the car in front of them. They can make them to either be driven manually or there can be some form of “auto pilot” for speed, or direction or both speed and direction for the very young ones.

They also need to improve the steering mechanism BIG TIME. On some of the cars that they have now it almost feels like the steering wheel isn’t connected to the wheels at all.

Disney would also need to find a way to keep the lines moving. Maybe they need more lanes. Or maybe they just need to utilize ALL the lanes that they have (which they rarely do).
:car: :car: :car:

Belle619
04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
... just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs...

:exactly: I agree 100%!!! I'm 26 years old and I would LOVE a Cars theme! I think it just needs to be updated, because as it is right now, it is not very different than what you would experience in other theme parks.

King Triton
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I voted against it. I don't necessarily dislike it, but:

- This is one of the few attractions at WDW that is not worth the wait time it often has.
- There's no Disney theming to it...no story.
- Its no better than similar rides at other theme parks
- For what is a mediocre ride, it takes up an awful lot of space. Magic Kingdom "real estate" is at a premium and this space could be used for something else.

Marker
04-13-2007, 01:42 PM
I voted that it's a classic, keep it. But not so much that "It's A Classic", but more that it's a great ride for kids. I don't ride it much (if ever), but littler kids love it, at least mine did. So, I don't personally love it, and I don't think it should be gotten rid of. I think it definitely serves an audience, I'm just not part of that audience.

I guess, squeezing into a psuedo-sports car that zooms around a track at 5 mph, just doesn't compare to my own Mustang at 125 on the highway (not that I'd ever do that of course)

PirateLover
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
It Stinks! Literally! They needs to bring this baby into the 21st century, STAT!

DizNee143
04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
i love it!! its so a classic ride...and i will be very upset the day Disney decides to get rid of this ride...granted i havent been on it in forever..but i still love it...and i hope it stays put for many years to come..tomorrowland just wouldnt be the same without it!! :mickey:

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 02:21 PM
We love this ride! Our kids have grown up anticipating when they will finally be able to "drive" at Disney! Don't forget that kids are the heart of the Magic Kingdom. What's exciting to an adult is sometimes scary or even unsafe for a child. Don't take away all the kid things! Maybe Disney can create a new adult oriented park with all the thrills adults and teens feel they need and leave the Magic Kingdom for us kids!

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think most people want to get rid of the ride just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs to drive through and maybe a field where you could have the Tractors and have some of them tip up when you drive by them, like when they do the Tractor tipping in the movie.

That would be a great:mickey: idea!

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
While Disney wants us to keep using the same towel "Environmentality!" It runs these lawnmower engines all day. CMs who work there must stink like gasoline terribly. We got stunk up just queing and riding.

Not every thing is a sacred classic, for example, Inday Raceway isn't.

Marker
04-14-2007, 12:27 PM
While Disney wants us to keep using the same towel "Environmentality!" It runs these lawnmower engines all day. CMs who work there must stink like gasoline terribly. We got stunk up just queing and riding.

Not every thing is a sacred classic, for example, Inday Raceway isn't.

Guess they could have CMs to push the cars around. Or maybe rickshaws. :silly:

Now, even I don't like to ride it, doesn't me it should be removed. There's a lot more to Disney than pleasing me. This ride DEFINITELY has an audience that it appeals to. A place like MK, or WDW in general, needs attractions for EVERYONE, not just me.

Could this be updated to something utilizing more current technology, or more "environmentally friendly", but what couldn't be. In the meantime, kids love it, it's a part of MK, so I would never say it should go just because I don't ride it anymore. After all, it's in Fantasyland, and the fantasy of driving if VERY REAL to those little ones.

darthmacho
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree. My kids like it, but I don't. Not very well themed.

Main Street Jim
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
First attraction I ever went on, back in February of 1972 when it was the Grand Prix Raceway. I'm a race fan anyways ;) There's a reason the lines are always long - people must like the thing! if you're hittin' it in the middle of the day, that's when the lines will be the longest. Try early in the morning or later in the evening, and the lines go way down.

What kid has never wanted to drive a car, let alone their own *race car*? Look at the smiles on the kids' - and the adults' - faces. Yeah, it's on rails. That's so no one *potentially* sideswipes or rams another driver. Yeah, it's slow, but more people can enjoy it. If it was *too fast*, then there'd be a height restriction on it, and there'd be constant lawsuits more than likely. It's one of the true "family rides" that everyone, from baby to great-grandma, can enjoy. There's not much of the "new breed" of attractions that can say that. Look at Mission: Space, Soarin', Everest, Stitch...all have a height restriction. The "height restriction" for the Speedway is to drive alone. Kids can still drive, they just need someone tall enough to ride with them.

Just wish they'd drop the "Indy car" theme and go more with a NA$CAR theme, since that's now the biggest race at Indy ;)

There's no Disney theming to it...no story.Oh, yes there is! It's the "Tomorrowland Indy 500", and the Speedway is the sports and recreation arena of the "community" of Tomorrowland. Read the little placards in the queue on your way through. You can read about the history of the real Indianapolis 500, along with "out-of-this-world" drivers like Al Unserbot, Junior :D

Donald A
04-14-2007, 02:39 PM
A few points to make here after reading all these posts: (Working two miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, yes, I am biased)
1) People say Indy Speedway does not belong in tomorrowland. However, ethanol is used exclusively in the Indy Racing League. This is home-grown fuel and the thing of the future. Therefore, if you focus on that, it fits in quite well.
2) NASCAR is bigger then IndyCar right now in the US, but in Indianapolis I hear the Indy 500 is still bigger. I am going to the Brickyard 400 this year and I'll see for myself.
3) I don't know if I can stand a Cars theme.
4) For a kid (and some adults) the speedway is an awesome attraction. I admit that I don't ride it every trip as the 1000 miles I drove to get there is enough. I still enjoy walking by though. I don't think the Magic Kingdom would be the same without it.

WDWfeelslikehome
04-16-2007, 08:08 AM
We have local mini-golf/go cart places that are far better rides and attractions than the TIS.

Belle_0717
04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I haven't ridden this one in a while. Not worth the 20 minute + wait. Pre-driver's license this was a must. It has aged and should be updated - not really a "tomorrowland" attraction. It is a classic. Will ride with DH in May - he's never been on it.

mickey98
04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
It's a classic... In the 70's I loved it as a kid.. especially when they used to give out the driver licenses.. now my kids love it.. Granted it is outdated compared to today's modern technology.. But is COP ???.. There are several outdated rides, should we just start picking them off one by one.. Sure Indy Speedway could use a refurb. But don't retire it !!!.. Update it....
Walt would !!!!!!!!!!!

:mickey:

disneymom2000
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
For it not being so popular there seems to be an awful long wait for it. Now that the CARS movie has been out, maybe they could re-theme it with that. A lot of kiddos would like to ride in Mater or Lightning McQueen. It still has possiblities.

GrumpyFan
04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
We usually try to avoid Indy Speedway. It's outdated, noisy and nauseating. I understand the thrill and excitement of the attraction from a 10yr old and younger perspective, but it's in dire need of updating.

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
We usually try to avoid Indy Speedway. It's outdated, noisy and nauseating. I understand the thrill and excitement of the attraction from a 10yr old and younger perspective, but it's in dire need of updating.This attraction should be made into a Disney attraction with Disney theming and Disney state of the art technology.

Of course there's always a wait: Do children love driving motorized kid size cars around a track? Yes. Is Indy Speedway "outdated, noisy and nauseating"? Yes.

raider97
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I LOVED the Indy Speedway when I rode it as a child. I am sure that many adults aren't as thrilled about it as the kids are, but I feel like Magic Kingdom is for the child in all of us. If you don't like it... just skip it. My two dd are so excited about driving their own cars. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did as a child. Retheming and updating might be nice.... but don't get rid of it :mickey:

Granny Jill A
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
PLEASE, someone do something with this ride. I rode it with my 3 yr old last year. Long wait, hot, smelly, polluting, hard to steer... 'nuff said.

TikiG

Add my name to the list of folks who agree with you! I was amazed that OSHA wasn't shutting the ride down because of the toxic fumes and noise level. Those poor cast members!

I'm hoping Disney can Imagineer a whole new attraction for that space.

CU Tiger
04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
My DD’s love the ride :minnie: . Indy Speedway is definitely a classic:thumbsup: , but it does need an update. I agree that the fumes are horrible. They could easily change these cars over to natural gas that has better emissions. The NASCAR or Cars theme mentioned earlier is a great idea. More people in the US can relate to NASCAR more than Indy, but the opposite is true for the rest of the world. :mickey:

Bethanymouse
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Replace it already!:ack:

TTA Metroliner
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I too agree that the ride is okay, but if you're going to wait forever (as it seems the lines are always long for this) why not theme it to Cars? Everything new seems to be Pixar related, so why not change the ride. You can go-kart ride all over the US, but where else can you ride a Lightning McQueen or Mater? Just a thought.

joonyer
04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I have espressed my feelings about this monumental waste of space in the MK before, but to recap for this thread:

1.This ride takes up a huge amount of space.
2. It is surpassed in quality and fun by most local amusement park go-kart tracks.
3. My boys, who are now 14 and 11, rode the Indy Speedway when they were 9 and 6 on their fisrt visit to MK, but haven't wanted to wait in line for it since. They think it is pretty lame, the cars go too slow and you can't really steer them. And they absolutely love driving the go-karts at or local amusement park.
4. I agree little kids love the speedway, but a similar ride for the little ones could be built, themed with "Cars", that would take up much less space. By definition, these kinds of rides are very slow loading, and combined with the fact that it is limited in appeal, I think it is a shame to use so much MK real estate for an attraction with such limited age appeal.

5. Disney could do so much better. When a Disney attraction is outdone by almost every local amusement park, which is what Walt wanted to improve on and be so much higher quality than, it is time for something better.

Main Street Jim
04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Everything new seems to be Pixar related, so why not change the ride. ...which is axactly why it should be left alone. Not every attraction *has* to have a "movie tie-in", which is what made If You Had Wings, America the Beautiful, Mission to Mars, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, the original PotC, El Rio del Tiempo, Horizons, CoP, and many other attractions so great. Pixar has taken over Tomorrowland, which, in my opinion...well, let's just say it's in bad form.

dixielandings
04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I much prefer the Autopia at DL. It actually seems to go somewhere other than in circles. But while we were in line for it last weekend (they actually FP theirs) I said to DH, they should have Cars characters to drive - how much more interesting would it be if you could drive Mater or even Luigi through Radiator Springs?!

I've only waited in line for the Indy Speedway once. And that's almost one too many...

boobalk
04-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Even though it is outdated, replacing a classic is just...well, wrong! How about a major update? New kind of track, new ride vehicles, maybe something with a little more Nascar theme?:thumbsup:

Darin M
04-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Personally I think they should update it. I would definitely give it a "CARS" upgrade. I would change the race cars to match characters from the movie. Put some animatronics in some corners, and maybe dome off a stretch of the race track and inside that dome, we would become part of a race against cars projected on the walls. Yeah, they are crazy ideas, but I'm full of them. Hope you enjoyed.

senecabeach
04-19-2007, 06:28 AM
It has a huge footprint, and I'm with Jerry2 in believing that the real estate could be used for something better.

ITA !!!:thumbsup:

4ubie1
04-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I remember going on it my first trip to WDW and enjoyed it enough :drive: but have not gone on it since. I think it a classic and should not be removed from MK. I do think that it could use some updating though.:blush: However, should they choose to remove it for something better, i would not be heart broken. ... Now touch CoP..me get :thedolls:

MinniesMom
04-19-2007, 09:07 AM
...which is axactly why it should be left alone. Not every attraction *has* to have a "movie tie-in", which is what made If You Had Wings, America the Beautiful, Mission to Mars, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, the original PotC, El Rio del Tiempo, Horizons, CoP, and many other attractions so great. Pixar has taken over Tomorrowland, which, in my opinion...well, let's just say it's in bad form.

I agree with you 100%!

It's one of those nostalgic rides that I enjoyed as a kid and now I can watch my children enjoying it as much as I did. It's always one of the first rides they want to go to in the MK.

Click-it or ticket:thumbsup:

ravsluvdisney
04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I have voiced my personal affinity for this ride before - first ride I remember going on as a 10-year old back in the early 70's. Nostalgia thing ya know. And my 2 DS' enjoy it now.

That being said, they do need to do something here and I say overhaul it but maintain the car racing theme. The obvious and much-rumored way of going about this is incorporating the Cars movie characters as a new theme. Better, cleaner running and slightly faster cars would keep me coming back.

:car: :car: :car: :car:

tink2006
04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
My family loves it and ,therefore, so do I.:number1:

Marceline
04-19-2007, 11:12 AM
It's not an easy yes or no for me on this one. I personally never paid it much attention until I had a child of my own, and my daughter just loves it....giggles and cheers through the whole course.

I can't wait to take my nephews on it, they will love it even more I am certain.:)

That said.....it needs something. First suggestion would be to use the Cars characters and update it. Let the kids drive around Mater' and Lighting McQueen and the whole gang.:thumbsup:

It would also be nice to see more fun themed landscaping and props on and around the course itself.

And finally and perhaps most importantly, the cars themselves should be upgraded to maybe some sort of hybrid fuel type of vehicle. Something needs to be done about the emissions and awful gas smell those things belch out. It would be a good teaching moment and I believe Disney has the engineering know-how to do something innovative in this area.:mickey:

Disney Doll
04-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I know it's a classic, but I could live without it. In fact we frequently skip this ride. It's horribly loud and smelly. I'll do it if someone in our party insists, but I would prefer to skip it every time.

Kairi_7378
04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
It's not a ride that has much value for people without kids and who have drivers' licenses. I bet it's great for parents who get to let their kids "drive" for a while.

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2007, 10:20 AM
My wish for this attraction to be improved isn't based on it not being of interest to me. Maddy (in my avatar) and I always ride.

We also choke on the dozens of lawnmower engines we're surrounded by waiting in the always slow moving queue.

castlelady36
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
As a huge WDW fan I hate to admit that I have never been on this. The lines always seem so long and it just does not look like anything special as you just drive around the track. I suppose if they decide to get rid of it I will try just to say I was on it before it was gone...just not a favorite.

moe513
04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
My kids like it but it is smelly, too hot and the lines move too slow.

pook@wdw
04-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Every dog has it's day !:goofy: But I think it's time to retire this one. Something w/a CARS theme would be great !:thumbsup:

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-22-2007, 03:32 AM
I like it but they do need to update the car to hybirds so they don't smell all the time.

DisneyJunkie
04-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I absolutely DESPISE the Tomorrowland Speedway. Why? Because every time I look at that area, I see an attraction that's slow, boring, and a great waste of space. Not only that, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the theme of the future or tomorrow. It past its prime decades ago and something better needs to come along to better suit that area.

DizMan28
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh, yes there is! It's the "Tomorrowland Indy 500", and the Speedway is the sports and recreation arena of the "community" of Tomorrowland. Read the little placards in the queue on your way through. You can read about the history of the real Indianapolis 500, along with "out-of-this-world" drivers like Al Unserbot, Junior :D[/QUOTE]

Do you have any pictures of those placards or do you remember anything that they said about Unserbot? Thanks!

MinnieMommie
04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes I am ...and it is so cool when you have young children and see their faces on the ride. It is worth waiting for them!!! Now that my jids are grown I still like to take a spin when the line is not too long. :mickey:

RocknRoller94
04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
This would be a better ride if it was faster, and if it didn't have a track, like real Go-Karts!:mickey:

Deesdisney
04-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I put down that I loved it however that is only because my DD loves it. I think if they do something different along the same kind of ride it would be a little more exciting.

Main Street Jim
04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
And finally and perhaps most importantly, the cars themselves should be upgraded to maybe some sort of hybrid fuel type of vehicle.We're workin' on it ;) We have one hybrid car in testing mode right now.

Do you have any pictures of those placards or do you remember anything that they said about Unserbot? Thanks!No pictures, but the placards in the queue describe the history of the 500 dating all the way back to 1909 - the very first event ever held at the Speedway. There's histories of cars like the Marmon Wasp - where the rear-view mirror was invented and won the very first 500-miler in 1911 - the Novis, the turbine cars, the first "computer-designed" car from 1974 I believe it was, and many others.

Not only that, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the theme of the future or tomorrow. It past its prime decades ago and something better needs to come along to better suit that area.And here's my original reply:

First attraction I ever went on, back in February of 1972 when it was the Grand Prix Raceway. I'm a race fan anyways There's a reason the lines are always long - people must like the thing! if you're hittin' it in the middle of the day, that's when the lines will be the longest. Try early in the morning or later in the evening, and the lines go way down.

What kid has never wanted to drive a car, let alone their own *race car*? Look at the smiles on the kids' - and the adults' - faces. Yeah, it's on rails. That's so no one *potentially* sideswipes or rams another driver. Yeah, it's slow, but more people can enjoy it. If it was *too fast*, then there'd be a height restriction on it, and there'd be constant lawsuits more than likely. It's one of the true "family rides" that everyone, from baby to great-grandma, can enjoy. There's not much of the "new breed" of attractions that can say that. Look at Mission: Space, Soarin', Everest, Stitch...all have a height restriction. The "height restriction" for the Speedway is to drive alone. Kids can still drive, they just need someone tall enough to ride with them.

Just wish they'd drop the "Indy car" theme and go more with a NA$CAR theme, since that's now the biggest race at Indy.

There's no Disney theming to it...no story.Oh, yes there is! It's the "Tomorrowland Indy 500", and the Speedway is the sports and recreation arena of the "community" of Tomorrowland. Read the little placards in the queue on your way through. You can read about the history of the real Indianapolis 500, along with "out-of-this-world" drivers like Al Unserbot, Junior.

We're actually in the process of converting back to the Tomorrowland Speedway. Most of the Indianapolis logos are gone, signs have mostly been redone, the original 1909 brick that was in our "Yard of Bricks" is gone, the flags no longer carry the logo, and the decals on the cars are being redone to reflect the change. My guess is that we only had a 10-year deal with Indy to carry their name on the attraction.

AdventurerKim
04-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I love this ride because it is a classic and because as a kid, I waited so long to be tall enough to ride it alone that this ride will always be special to me! I never miss riding it on a trip! I like to try to steer the car and see if I can not hit the metal rod which I inevitably do at some point. I ride this early to avoid the crowds and waiting in a super-long line, or I jump in line if they're opening a new side so people are funneled to the opening line of cars.

foolishmortal83
04-12-2008, 11:44 AM
being a hoosier and LOVING the indy 500, i'd say i liked it a lot when i was younger...but now i can agree with the majority that it is pretty old and they need to replace it....i hate to admit it ..but it's true. haha

disneydeb
04-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Keep it with an updated bio fuel system.

wdwgrl377
04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I say keep it. To me it's a classic, but it could be updated.

WDWFREAK101
04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I am somewhere in the middle. I hate how if you get off the track it bumps you all around making you uncomfortable which will in fact make you get off eth track again. :sick:
When my friends go with me to the Magic Kingdom, we have a race to see how long we can go on the track without bumping. :mickey: It is a fun game.

Main Street Jim
04-13-2008, 07:50 AM
I hate how if you get off the track it bumps you all around making you uncomfortable which will in fact make you get off eth track again. Not sure what you mean by "getting off the track"; the cars (and their guide wheels) are designed NOT to "get off the track". Do you mean "keeping the guide wheels off the rail and keeping the car centered"?

turkeyleg
04-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I have twin boys (age 5) and that is the first place we run to.

cal5755
04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
My kids have never wanted to go on the Indy speekway so I voted to change it. Yes I would have voted differently if they loved the ride but DS12,DD8 and DD4 (ages last trip) all say it is too smelly so they don't want to wait in line for it.

Personally I never liked it when I was a kid either and I would love to see something replace it. Something family oriented that we could all do as a family. Not a thrill ride. Maybe if they just changed it so it wasn't so smelly lol.

WDWRox
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
There are very few attractions in WDW that I can really say I hate, but I HATE the Tomorrowland Speedway. Not only does it NOT belong in a land dealing with the future and tomorrow, but it's lame in every sense of the word. Pokey, slow-moving race cars....please. The area could be so much better used.

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Noise, smell, gasoline consumption and pollution. How does this fit Mickey's Environmentality?

This attraction is 4% better than every roadside go-cart track.

This question needs be split into two questions:

Is the transition between Tomorrow Land and Fantasy Land the perfect place for a kid steered parent accompanied car ride? Certainly.

Should the existing attraction be refurbished with better technology to bring it up to Disney standards? Absolutely.

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2008, 11:51 AM
... I hate how if you get off the track it bumps you all around...

I think the poster is referring to the not-to-gentle way the car bangs and shakes and jerks when you get far enough off the center of the lane so the guide wheels under the car bang against the rail that keeps the car on the track.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I've rode it a few times but hate it. There is always some kid behind me that thinks the are bumper cars. I wish they'd just replace it with something fun and more Disney like. This ride just reminds me of something you'd see at any other theme park.

Granny Jill A
11-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I was just reading more posts about the Speedway. I think the CARS tie-in would be perfect. You get a Mater car that you drive backwards, or maybe a Cow tractor.

:D

mainemajor
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Slow lines mostly under the hot Florida sun
The noisest ride in the world
Smelly, you can not be anywhere near without taking in the aromas :sick:
Nothing unique to it. Many parks around the country have slow, noisy smelly ride a car on a track rides. Disney could do MUCH better

beksy
11-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I rode it once when I was about 6 and that was enough but I can see the appeal for other kids. For me, it was boring then because living in the country I had been "helping" Dad with the riding lawn mower since I could sit up. Plus Dad saw this as the perfect opportunity to practice driving lessons--talk about a mood killer! The thing I remember most is him saying "Don't turn the wheel so hard!" and he had never ridden it before and didn't know how hard they steer or that they're not like driving! Plus I have a physical disability that makes some rides hard to get in and out of and this one is practically impossible.

ASweetLov
11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
I do agree that the line moves extremelly slow, but I do love this attraction. I wouldnt like it if they got rid of it but I wouldnt have a problem if they decided to update it with the theme of cars!

laward32
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I put replace it on the poll, but I don't really want it replaced. I'd like to see it updated.:mickey:

epceddie
11-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Lame is the perfect word to describe the Speedway. It needs to be replaced or updated for the new century. Talk about a ride that's out of place. Is there anything futuristic about it at all?

Mad About Mickey
11-15-2008, 08:54 AM
With all the talk lately of the need for alternative energy to curb our dependence on oil it would be great for Disney to use the Speedway as a showcase for alternative fuels. They could team up with an entrepreneur like Richard Branson or Bill Gates and have a contest to see who can develop a viable alternative fuel vehicle. Then the best ideas could be made into vehicles for the speedway, what better testing than running all day long. Imagine Mickey Mouse being hailed as a proponent of cleaner energy and since children are the majority of the ridership on the Speedway the would be learning about alternative energy through osmosis. Gone would be the fumes, smoke and stench. This would certainly mahe it the real Speedway of Tomorrow and befitting of Tomrrowland.

HoosierDisneyFan
11-15-2008, 08:13 PM
One question...

If most poeple dislike Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway, why is it so crowded....

My guess that their are many who do like the ride...

Daddy Mouse
11-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I personally do not care for the ride, however I see many young children having the times of their lives and their parents enjoying the experience with them. I would keep it just for that reason alone.

artyboy
11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Personally, I feel that it's a waste of space...plus, it can't be good for the environment.

I have always mentioned this when I am asked to take a survey at Disney.

Imagineer1981
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Can anybody actually steer those cars? Plus it feels like it is 25 degrees hotter at this attraction.

actually it is hotter. The pavement reflects and absorbs all of that florida heat, plus the engines and exhaust cause an uncomfortable environment. The CMs there have had shoes melt in the summer

Jasper
11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't have a problem with keeping it because it does appeal to so many little ones but, I do wish they would change to electric vehicles to reduce unnecessary pollution!

Goes4FastPass
11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
The replies to this thread seem to get tangled up in the question:
Is it good to have a ride where a child steers a car while a parent rides along and coaches and encourages? Everyone thinks the answer to that is Yes.

but if the question is:
Is the car ride at the Magic Kingdom as it exists today on par with other Disney attractions? Can we answer anything but No?

oliver&bianca
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I totally agree that it is a slow-loading, boring, and hot ride. But instead of replacing it, how about building a ride that is elevated above the Speedway. There is a lot of vertical real estate available above the ride, and you would be making two different groups happy - those who love it and those who are ready for something new.

Stu29573
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Actually. I've always thought that the original Disneyland design was better in some ways. Originally (in 1955), the cars didn't run on a rail and could be actually steered within the bounderies of the track. Unfortunately, they tended to smack into each other and damage the cars so a rail was added that took away that risk. It seems to me that with new composite materials and maybe computer aided controls that would minimize collisions, the rails could once again be done away with and the cars could be slighly sped up. Also, a more interesting track layout might help.... Just a thought. :mickey:

dtootsie42
11-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I think they should keep the attraction but update it....perhaps change the cars to the characters from the movie Cars...or just pick a couple of the characters. I love Luigi and Guido....I can see tons of Luigi's and Guido's zipping around the track.

Tink#64
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
DH & myself don't really care for it but DS's have always really enjoyed this attraction, so that makes it fun for us, to have them "drive" us around in those slow, jerky cars! We always have a good time & laugh our butts off! This year was our 1st trip that we skipped this attraction, but we visited during Spring Break & the lines were quite long & we all agreed it was one that we could bypass. But had the lines been shorter, DS's would have liked to drive as always! A refurb would be great, but I think for the younger set, it's still alot of fun! They think they're driving the cars & that's all that matters!:secret: I say - let them keep their magic! :magic:

TBY2225
11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
It is by far my least favorite attraction, but my DS2 said next to the TTA it is his favorite! He can't stop talking about the "cars ride" and it is a must on our trip coming up in a few weeks!

ravsluvdisney
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Had to post on this as Speedway is a personal fave as it is the first World ride I ever expeienced. Still remember riding with my dad and letting me grab the wheel. Sure felt like I was flying! And my 2 DS' who are now 9 & 6 still get a kickout of it - the 6 yr old got behind the wheel first time last week and had a blast.

That said, with Disney tech know-how and the Cars movie tie-in so obvious, they could update and totally do a Cars re-theming, speed things up a bit (maybe steal some land back from Toontown). Still a classic IMO but showing its age.