PDA

View Full Version : Smoking buildings?

sleepingbooty
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
We'll be staying at POR on our September trip. My parents, who smoke, will be joining us (separate room). I'm doing all their planning and reservations for them, so I'm trying to figure out what building I should request for them. I know there are smoking rooms, but does this mean that entire buildings are devoted to smoking or non-smoking? They are more likely to step outside their room to smoke, would that be allowed? I'm guessing that if you get a smoking room in a building that wasn't entirely comprised of smoking rooms, that you'd have to keep it inside your room. Hmmmm. Any advice on this?

BelleBeauty
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I believe there are smoking buildings or sections, depending on the resort. From experience, if there are smoking floors, or if people book non-smoking rooms and smoke on the balcony - it really gets into the rooms around you. We've had smokers above and below us, and we've had balcony smokers. It always ends up in our room (even with door closed and air on), I always smell it on me, and I have a smoke allergy.

The best bet it to reserve that smoking room!

sleepingbooty
04-14-2007, 02:38 PM
We've had smokers above and below us, and we've had balcony smokers. It always ends up in our room (even with door closed and air on), I always smell it on me, and I have a smoke allergy.

The best bet it to reserve that smoking room!

Oh, I totally agree. Thats why I asked the quesion. I have asthma, and I don't want to be anywhere near a smoking section. Because they are more likely to smoke outside their room (even as smokers they don't like to sleep in it), they wouldn't want to be in a mixed building where smoking outside might bother non-smoking guests. So what I need to find out is if all the smoking rooms are located in smoking only buildings, or if some are in mixed buildings - if so they'll want a smoking building, not just a smoking room.

MNNHFLTX
04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
What part of POR will you and your parents be staying in? The smoking-optional rooms in the Magnolia Bend (Mansion) part of the resort are in the Oak Manor building. In the Alligator Bayou section, the smoking-optional rooms are in buildings 18 and 38. I'm not sure if all the rooms in these buildings are smoking-optional or whether it's a mixture of smoking and non-smoking.

People certainly are allowed to step outside their room to smoke, but I would recommend thinking twice about this practice. As mentioned previously, if a smoker staying in a non-smoking room goes outside to smoke, the smoke often enters other non-smoking rooms through the air conditioning. And even if it's a smoking-optional building, smoke could drift into walkways and other public areas where it would bother people. If someone does want to go outside to smoke, they should probably make sure that they move away from the common spaces before they light up.:mickey:

wdwdreamer
04-14-2007, 09:14 PM
My husband is a smoker and we stayed in the Alligator Bayou in building 18 which was close to both the main bus stop and the food court.

We also stayed in building 90 which I think was Oak Manor in the Mansions section. A little further from Main buildng and you had to cross over a bridge. But still not bad.

tinksmom02
04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
We had the same problem when we went in January. My parents smoke, so I requested a smoking room for them BUT they wanted to be next to us, too. We were told at check-in that they could go to a smoking building (that we would not be in) OR be next to us and smoke outside. The CM actually arranged to have an ashtray brought to them.

We were in AB building 25. Our room was on the corner, and theirs was right next to us, so their smoking wasn't directly affecting anyone but us (I know, I know, smoking affects us all, but you know what I mean), and we never smelled it in our room at all.

Course, I can understand where other people with allergies or sensitivities are coming from, and my folks would have actually preferred to smoke IN the room and not outside, but we all made the best of what we were dealt with.

TiggerRPh
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
We'll be staying at POR on our September trip. My parents, who smoke, will be joining us (separate room). I'm doing all their planning and reservations for them, so I'm trying to figure out what building I should request for them. I know there are smoking rooms, but does this mean that entire buildings are devoted to smoking or non-smoking? They are more likely to step outside their room to smoke, would that be allowed? I'm guessing that if you get a smoking room in a building that wasn't entirely comprised of smoking rooms, that you'd have to keep it inside your room. Hmmmm. Any advice on this?

If they end up in a non-smoking area...please do not let them go outside the room to smoke. It drifts in and ruins it for the rest of us. I don't think that I should be exposed to smoke when I leave my room or walk through a non-smoking area and be exposed to the smoke.

That...and it's just plain rude.

TiggerRPh
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
...OR be next to us and smoke outside. The CM actually arranged to have an ashtray brought to them.

Now...that is just wrong!

:mad: