PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it crazy that Disney considers a 10 year old an adult?

Mom2princesses
04-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I could not believe it! Now I could even accept the adult rate for the parks but for food? Most 10 year olds don't eat anywhere near what an adult eats. I can not believe that they consider my 10 year old daughter an adult. Am I off base here? What does everyone else think?

gatormouse50
04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I totally agree with you. I also think a child of 3should get in free. Most 3yos are still in a stroller part of the time. And while we're griping, wouldn't it be nice if you got some kind of credit for being a "regular" resort guest? Maybe a free night here and there? I don't want to have to pay a fee to join a club that offers these perks. I'd like some regognition for going so often and spending my $ there. They know everything about me and everyone I have ever gone with. Even if they sent me a email or card offering anything! I don't get that stuff. I know it's frustrating, but we still go back...again...and again...:mickey:

asrai555
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I totally agree.

I don't believe it is only about money. I mean it is, but the larger problem which lead to this thinking in the first place is the encouragement by society of our children to grow up fast and furious.

Hence the whole marketing of "tween". A 9, 10, 11, or 12 year old isn't a "tween" They are still a child. ThirTEEN is a right of passage, and rightfully called a TEENager. The tween thing irks me to no end. And I think Disney's policy of adult pricing for this demographic reflects that.

Rant finished. :mad:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes, it bugs me too. Our son will be 10 in August, we go in September and our daughter has turned 3 since our last trip so we will have a lot of added money this trip.

I don't have an issue with Taylor since she does all of the rides we do that do not have a height restriction.

Sean is still a child (don't let him hear that!! ;) ) to me. I know he goes on all the rides we do etc, but so does his 7 year old brother. I just think 10 is young to be considered an adult. Especially for the DP, my oldest eats the least of all the kids.

So, I feel your pain.

LoriMistress
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I would suggest directing your complaints/suggestions to Disney directly. If there are enough complaints, they might consider changing the chart.

disneydeb
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
It's been that way as long as I can remember! Have they lowered the drinking age in Florida too? :D

BronxTigger
04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I think the first time I went to WDW I was a "junior" for the 11-17 category or something like that. Does anyone else remember this?

Jasper
04-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok, as usual I have to be the odd man out here. While it is true that not all 10 year olds eat as much as adults there are also a lot who do. It is this disparity between different 10 year olds that creates the problem. At some point Disney has to draw the line and start charging adult rates. So if they don't do it at 10, then where do they do it?

Don't get me wrong, Disney is very good at doing everything possible to seperate you from your money. In their effort to take your money from you they certainly will push the age down as low as they feel they can get away with. However, because of the vast differences from one child to another, there are certainly more than a few 10 year olds who are eating adult amounts.

Please, I know my comments will open a can of worms about childhood obesity and all that, but while that is certainly a serious problem in our country, that is not what we are talking about here.

kakn7294
04-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I think the park ticket as an adult at age 10 is fair - most 10 yo are tall enough to ride everything - whether they want to is a separate issue and not necesarily related to age. However, I agree wholeheartedly agree with the food issue. I would love to see a junior distinction with a junior menu for the TS restaurants - larger servings (but not adult sized servings) on basic selections from both the kids and adult menus. It would cost more than the kids menu but not be the adult prices. My DD likes that she can order from the adult menu but some places don't have anything she will eat. BTW, there still is a junior distinction for ages 11 - 17 but it doesn't mean anything except that they don't get charged as an adult in the room. I guess we should be thankful for that!

Marilyn Michetti
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Let me be the first to welcome Gatormouse 50

:rocks: :rocks: WELCOME TO INTERCOT :rocks: :rocks:

Marilyn Michetti
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't know how they decide where to cut off the age between child / adult, but they decide.

I've seen children that can out-eat any adult at that age, and some that still consider a french fry and one chicken strip dinner.

Now, what about us little old Sr. citizens that go for the early bird special and share?:old: :funny: :old:

MsMin
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Remember it's the plate they are charging for. How many times have you seen ppl say their child wants the items on the adult menu. They don't serve you less it's the same amount- a plate is a plate. Now if a 12yr old wanted to order a child's plate and pay that price, I don't see anything wrong with that (I'm not suggesting cheat the system I'm saying I see room for flexibility-- yes some eat very little but by the time if a 10 year old orders a filet mignon then it's time for the adult price regardless of whether or not they eat it.
The age for tickets has been that way for a long time. I remember the junior ticket but 3 year olds pay. How many 3 yr old's stand in line for Mickey? I know it's young and I felt the same way when mine were young but again 4 is getting older and it's probably more difficult to judge a 4 from a 5 yr old.
Enjoy it now.
I agree that a senior citizen discount would be nice. My parents don't ride a fraction of the rides that we do. I think they did HM and HoP @ MK the rest of the time they just enjoyed the scenery and had lunch.

Mom2princesses
04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree with the fact that if my 10 year old was charged less that she would have to pick from the children's menu. She does that all the time when we go to a resturant. My problem is that we don't get that choice. I would be that we will end up paying for a adult meal and she will pick from the child's menu.

I also have a 3 year old and if she even eats at all it is a plus! So I can definitely understand the concerns of other mom's with toddlers and preschoolers.

Oh well I know that this won't change and they have us as a captive audience so there isn't much of a choice.

I'm all for senior's getting a break too! Especially on park tickets.

Oh well I guess we can all dream. I love WDW and I am so looking forward to going but it would be nice if there was more flexibility.

Thank you everyone for your input! No matter what side you were on it was interesting hearing all your view points! :mickey:

TiggerRPh
04-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I think the first time I went to WDW I was a "junior" for the 11-17 category or something like that. Does anyone else remember this?

Yes...they used to have that ticket/dining category, but I believe that they stopped that about 10 years ago or maybe more.

It's the main reason we don't do the dining plan when we go. I have an 11 year old that doesn't eat a lot. He just doesn't justify the cost.

TammiMcMan
04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
It's the main reason we don't do the dining plan when we go. I have an 11 year old that doesn't eat a lot. He just doesn't justify the cost.I think you hit the nail on the head :thumbsup: . Everyone must decide if the dining plan is a good value for their family. We've never once purchased it, because it just doesn't make sense for the way we eat. Sometimes packages can be a great convenience, but if you do your homework, your best financial option may be to go a la carte instead.

TheRustyScupper
04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
1) First, let's look at the 10-yr admission.
. . . it is an age kids can ride everything
. . . it is an age that naps are usually not taken
. . . it is an age they can ride all day-night
. . . they ride just like an adult
. . . they use up the same ride seat capacity
. . . therefore, they ARE and adult to a park

2) Next, let's check out the 10-yr for food
. . . it is an age when they start to grow a lot
. . . it is an age they start to eat a lot
. . . it an age that is the same as admission rule

3) But, with any analysis, the fact is - it is a rule.
4) As a supplier, WDW can name their terms.
5) You have a choice to adhere or not.

King Triton
04-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I also have no problem with buying a 10 year old adult admission media.

As far as food goes, I am disappointed that they moved the adult age to 10 (if I remember correctly, the change to 10 for tickets was many years ago, but for food it was in the last 2-3 years). The one plus is that I believe Disney does allow you (and I think anyone) to order off the child's menu no matter what the age (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The buffet is where it gets difficult. I learned my lesson by taking an 11 year old to Boma and she had a $24 plate of mac and cheese.

caryrae
04-12-2007, 12:24 PM
What would be nice is have 2 menus with the same food on it one is the regular size with regular prices, then for those who don't eat much (ie my wife) have a menu that has smaller portions with a lower cost.

Maybe not 2 meus but have 2 different portion sizes with different prices.

Goofy Pluto
04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I think you are caught between a rock and hard place. When it comes to WDW, any 10 yo is going to do just as much as an adult. See the same shows, ride the same rides, enjoy the same entertainment and not have to go back to take naps. So, although I wish it was less expensive, I can see where Disney is coming from and understand why they would charge equal.

As far as food, again, a lot of kids that age are going to eat about as much as an adult and not want to eat from a kids meal. I know when I was a teen (or right before), I could pack it away. I think it's unreasonable to expect a 10 yo to only eat kids meals. (At least in my family, where we can EAT!) So your choice, basically, is to not do the DDP if you feel your older child will eat less and eat from the kids menu or accept that it's more expensive. That makes sense to me.

However, let me state that I think it would be great if Disney would do something for the not-quite-kids, not-yet adult demographic to make it less expensive for parents. It will potentially prevent us from making very frequent return trips in the future when our kids are older. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to change it.

terri.m
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I totally agree with 10 yr olds paying adult price to get in, there is nothing they can't ride there.

The DDP though, i wish there was a different category or at least a choice of jr sizing or adult at that age. My kids just don't eat enough to justify paying adult prices.

Cinderelley
04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I have to disagree with you. My 3 boys could out-eat a lot of adults when they were 10. It's not about being "obese" either - they are skinny as toothpicks. They are just growing at that age. My oldest is now 17 & 6'1" & 170 lbs. I've noticed lately that his eating is starting to slow down, but his younger siblings are taking up the slack. I bought two weeks worth of groceries yesterday, and my total was $386. I'll be very glad when they're all done growing. I only wish I could figure out how they eat so much, and it never goes to their hips. :D

Now my daughter and I were splitting plates when we were at WDW, and still didn't have room for dessert a lot of times.

If we ever did the dining plan, it would be worth it for the boys, but my DD & I would still probably just share one meal.

mdricks
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
10 seems right to me. On the park issue its a no-brainer. Who gets more outta the parks then 10yr olds? Seems the perfect age to me. In terms of $ per experience I would think that the 10yr old gets more for the money than anyone (with the exception of Intercotee's ofcourse).

As for the food, well I can see both sides here. I have an 8 year old that lives off of a fry and a grape. he would not eat a steak dinner at LeCellier and the $$ would be wasted.

It would be nice if they let you pick and choose. I thought I read somewhere that they were now watching the child vs. adult TS issue to insure the adults weren't eating the child TS.

If this is true than why not give everyone the choice to purchase a child or adult DDP? If you've got a bottomless pit at age 6 then get em the adult and have at it. If your kid is finicky at age 14 let em get the kids meal and eat nothing but chicken fingers and fries.

:number1:

mttafire
04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I disagree with the o.p. A child of 10 most certainly imho is considered an adult. Why? As mentioned before..They get to ride everything and all the 10 y.o. i know eat ALOT! The difference in a child and adult $$ wise in minor. Certainly not enough to have any concern over. As a Firefighter/Paramedic we consider any child over 8 as an adult per medical needs.:mickey:

Auntie
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I think as far as park admission goes...a 10 year old is riding most of the attractions, and meets all the height requirements. So...much as I didn't like it when it happened for our kids, 10 is probably the right age for an adult admission. I don't think an 3 year old should be charged..I think that between 4 and 9 would be better for a child admission. Most kids are still using strollers at 3.

As far as dining... I think that if a 10 year were limited to just ordering from a childs menu then they should be charged a childs menu price. If they order from the adult menu..the adult charge. That being said, and with so many of the meals in Disney being buffet...I don't see how that could be enforced. So they probably figure it's easier to keep the charge for both admission and dining the same age.
Although..we went four years ago..and no dining plan..we paid out of pocket. My 11 year old very often ordered off a child menu if it wasn't a buffet and there were no problems. Of course this around he is 15 and 6'2"...so I don't think he'll be doing that!

d_m_n_n
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
The buffet is where it gets difficult. I learned my lesson by taking an 11 year old to Boma and she had a $24 plate of mac and cheese.

OMG, I never even thought about that! We are going in December after DS turns 10. I figured we would pay OOP for his meals since he is still in the Chicken Finger/french fries stage. Normally we do Chef Mickey on our first night, but FORGET IT!! The thought of spending that much $$$ on a couple strips and some mickey mac and cheese ... wow! No buffets for us for a couple years!!! :blush:

But I am ok with paying for an adult admission ticket for him.

Donald A
04-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Without being rude, I need to say that it comes down to money as does most things in this world. If Disney feels it can charge adult prices for a 10 year old they will. If there is a revolt and families with 10 year olds stop going because of it and some auditor figures it out maybe it will change. I am sure there is a average price per guest to operate the park and I wonder where an average 10 year old compares in cost to say an average 40 year old. I am sure someone there at Disney knows.:scratch:

Auntie
04-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm sure this has become more of an issue when the dining plan is used. Whether you are being charged an adult or child price for their dining. All of a sudden the dining plan may not be such a bargain for the 10 year old paying full adult price of $40.00 as opposed to the year before when they were being charge only $11.0 a day. THAT is a bargain!..where can you feed your kids anywhere for $11.00 a day? Fast foward 11 months..and you are now paying $40.00. Probably not eating as much as an adult..but paying the adult dining fee. The only alternative I see to this is to pay out of pocket for meals..and let the server know your child is ordering a child meal..or from the childrens buffet..if the restaurant has one. This is what we did on our last trip..as I said..he was 11 going on 12 and SKINNY. We never had a server not charge us the kid price.
I am on the other end of this 4 years later..now $40.00 dining plan is probably a bargain for a teenager who could eat you out of house and home..and still the skinniest thing on the planet!(still can't figure THAT out!)

Mnchknbrat1982
04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I know what you all mean. I am 24 and until I was about 17 buffets and places in this area always just gave my mom the child's price on me. I know I look young for my age. I also do not eat very much. I normally only eat like one good meal a day lol! My boyfriend even teases me about getting kids meal's because their smaller but he knows I won't finish an adult meal most of the time.

It would be nice if disney would let you customize their plans. Maybe put a tier plan. Like have each one be worth a certain value.

Goes4FastPass
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I guess it is what it is. The solution may be forgoing the DDP for a while and paying cash.

The flip side of this my wife who routinly buys whatever version of a 'happy meal' is being offered - even at the movies where a few dollars buys a small popcorn, candy and drink - as much as any human should consume of that stuff.

I've also read posts like, "If my D6yo wants a shrimp cocktail and s steak shouldn't she have that?"

Auntie
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I guess it is what it is. The solution may be forgoing the DDP for a while and paying cash.

I think you are right about that. I'm sure there is that point..when they aren't paying the $11.00 kids rate..and the $39.00 adult rate is just too expensive to warrant spending that much on a 10 or 11 year old who likely isn't going to eat as much as an adult.

I think it's kind of a shock for parents who have been using the dining plan to come to that point when the kids are having to pay the adult price. I know I probably wouldn't do so at those ages..better to pay out of pocket and have them order off a childrens menu. Soon enough, in just a few years, they will be thinking the $39.00 to feed a growing teen is worth it!

thrillme
04-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I doubt anything is going to change but 12 and under should be the "age". Juniors 13-17 could be charged a little less. DDP's I never go for them because I have no clue what my DS is going to want to eat. He could clear out the pantry or nibble on a carrot.

A 10 year old can ride everything???? My DS rode everything when he was 6...no difference. My DS now has some friends who are 12 and they just barely reach the 48 inch marks but they don't hit the 54 inch rides at Six Flags.

What bothers me is that today we're trying to make kids grow up tooooooo much. I'm not going to tie my young man down but I'm not going to push him out of the nest yet.

I KNOW nothing is going to change but I would LOVE to see Disney recognize "Juniors" a bit more. Give them a slightly lower price and "mighty kid" sized meals (bigger than a child but smaller than adult).

I also think they need to do something for Seniors. A lot of Seniors can't participate in many of the rides nor can they handle all day in the park (granted some can but...many can't)

Auntie
04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
My son is 15 going on 16...and frankly I know he will eat more than I would being an adult. The idea of a junior price for 13-17 year olds.....well, honestly by that age I think my kids were eating adult meals..and as I say..maybe even more. Almost any age you pick be it...10 or 12 or 15...someone's going to be unhappy with it. Especially when you are the one with a child at that point where the adult price is going to kick in. It's sort of shock that first time or two. Imagine how I feel this trip...with having to pay for 5 adult dining plans!...Oh..I should say 4..my older son is paying his own way..and his own room.
I can only imagine how difficult it would be with three or four different price ranges for dining credits. I think Disney has their hands full with dealing with the two ranges they have now. Again, I agree the only way to deal with not paying an adult price for a child you believe is not going to eat an adult meal, is to pay out of pocket and eat a childrens meal.

Mom2princesses
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Well I surely will never feel sorry for Disney! LOL they make enough money on all of us.

Unfortunately some of the places we will go CRT and Hoop Dee Doo you can't pick the child's menu. Sorry but it just makes me squirm when I have to shell out 50+ Bucks for a 10 yo.

But like I said I know it won't change and I don't have much of a choice but I sure don't have to like it!

Auntie
04-13-2007, 12:21 AM
The dinner show is entirely different story..I agree. Frankly the price of that show now is kind of crazy. I've seen it a few times.(several years ago..and it hasn't changed)..so I guess it's easy for me to say. But $58.00! It's good..but it's not THAT good. I'm not sure it's worth 2 table service credits that you could use for dinners elsewhere. My youngest son..he doesn't actually remember it too well. When we saw it last I was still paying the child's price for him.(not any more!) I would consider it for May..I doubt they would have availability..and I don't care to sit on the upper level..did that and wasn't crazy about it. I'm just not sure if it's worth spending $300.00 for a family of five to see the show. I've actually considered going out of Disney (I know..50 lashes with a wet noodle)...to see something different. I was thinking of the Dixie Stampede..? Don't know much about it..but thought it would be different.

Mickey91
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Actually, the parks here in VA consider you an adult around six. As soon as you can ride some of the thrill rides, even if you don't want to, you are an adult. I do think that the dining could be arranged different. Not sure how, but to make it more economical for families with picky eaters. You should be given the option of buying the dining plan that best suits your child.

Mickey'sGirl
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with the current structure. I think it's as fair as we can get in this world... Let's face it -- unless a kid is sitting on someone's lap, they are taking up a place on an attraction. 10 year olds are big enough to take up a place on all the attractions, therefore they should pay the full price. The dining plan can be a different story -- 'cause some people just don't eat as much as others. My 8 year old eats like a grown up -- my almost 70 yr old mother eats like a child -- but costs are what they are. If the dining plan causes grief -- then don't get it.
I also agree that 3 is the right age for admissions. My 3 year old was tall enough at 2 to ride the 40" rides -- but he was free -- He was taking up a seat and we didn't have to pay for it (21 days of free when he was 2) .... I know that he is really tall -- but I also know that there are other 3 year olds who are tall enough to ride attractions like Splash or Soarin' -- that is a kind of ride "tier" -- so a charge should apply. Just my opinion....

Auntie
04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
It is amazing once you get passed that age..where it's not worth the adult price to feed your 11 year old..that within a year or two..your thinking changes to what a bargain it is to feed your growing teenager!:thumbsup:

We've actually never used the Dining plan..I would have loved it..but our last visit was four years ago..and the dining plans were not the same as offered now. We have always paid out of pocket for meals. I've never had any issues with a 12 year old ordering a child meal..or if he wanted the adult meal..that was okay too. Very often he just didn't care for the adult selections..and would choose the child meal. I think as the above poster mentioned, there are probably some transition periods where your kids are either picky eaters or don't eat enough to warrant spending the $39.00 for the adult plan. Those are years to book a room only (with a good discount code of course!)...and pay out of pocket for meals. Of course dinner shows are a different story..but honestly those are only two or three spots in all of Disney where it would be an issue..and could be saved for a trip at a later date..when you feel you aren't wasting the money.

BigRedDad
04-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Not to try and contradict this entire post, but how in the world does WDW know exactly how old your child is? I am sure they do not ask for Birth Certificates.

I agree that kids should be charged for what they eat, not by what their age is. If they want to eat off the kid's menu, they should be allowed.

Auntie
04-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Very often they know the age of your children if you have visited before. At the time of making your reservation they do ask their names and ages. This information is apparently kept. If and when you call again to make another reservation..they have the dates you stayed previously and the ages of your kids. That's not to say they don't get it wrong..I've had that happen where they had my son's girlfriend in with our information.
Certainly you always have the option to just pay for what your child eats..that's easy. You just don't book an all inclusive package..with the dining plan. You can easily reserve a "room only" reservation and pay out of pocket for what your child eats. I've always done that. This is actually the first time we are considering adding the dining plan because to add it costs $39.00 per adult person..per day. With a teenager at 6'2" ...that's not a bad deal. I pulled up the menu's and looked at the prices..and I think we would like spend at least that much. If not..we will just pay out of pocket as we've always done.

Seasonscraps
04-14-2007, 07:55 AM
10 years old may be borderline too young for the meal plan but I think it's appropriate for park tickets. A line has to be drawn somewhere and it's just easier if the cut-off is consistent across the board. If the dining plan doesn't make sense for you and your family there is always the pay out of pocket option.