PDA

View Full Version : My DD(5) is afraid of anything slightly frightening. Will Kilimanjaro Safaris..

sunshinegirl
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
be too much for her? I would love to do that attraction, but when I read the warnings I thought it may be too much for her. Is that the only was to see the animals? Thanks...:confused:

magicman
04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
When my DD was 5 she wasn't scared, and I wouldn't rate it high on the scare factor; however, you could take a couple of precautions to make sure that she's fine.
(1) The seats accommodate about 6 to a row, so I'd sit her on the inside.
(2) Talk over the CMs spill about watching out for poachers so she's looking at the animals & not listening to the "evil poacher" story.

Aside from the special tour available for Animal Kingdom guests, I don't know of any other way besides KS to see the animals.

PetefromRI
04-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't think that she'd be afraid of this attraction.It's pretty mellow for the most part.There are other walking trails in other areas of the park to see the animals.There's even a petting zoo at Rafikiis Planet Watch,a very under appre ciated section of AK.Although I haven't had a 5 year old in many moons,she should really enjoy the Safari.

ravsluvdisney
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
The worst part of the Safari is the herky-jerky,bumpy ride. They make you feellike you're really out in the savannah so the road travelled is dirt with dips, rickety bridges, etc. At 5 years old she probably won't understand the whole poacher storyline the driver is spewing so I would just point out the zebras and giraffes and your DD should have a blast! And she will be on the inside because little ones aren't allowed to sit on the outer seats of the vehicle.

LoriMistress
04-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Is she afraid of the animals at the zoo?

Has she seen Jurassic Park?

Why I ask is because the animals are roaming aorund throughout the parks and they can come close to contact. Nothing that will put you in harms way, of course.

caryrae
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
My niece turned 4 while we were there and she was not scared in the least, she loved it. It's the only way to get a great view of the animals roaming free. They do have walking trails that are just like most zoos.

MaizeNBrew
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
My DD (4) can be nervous sometimes on rides (like Haunted Mansion) but she LOVED the safaries. I never seen any kid remotely scared on that ride. Just stay away from "It's tough to be a bug"

Noah's Helper
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
What kind of things tend to frighten her?

My son is afraid of anything dark or fast, so there are a lot of rides that he does not like. But he had no problem on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Belle619
04-12-2007, 09:05 AM
The worst part of the Safari is the herky-jerky,bumpy ride.

:ditto: The only thing that may bother someone on KS is the bumpy ride. Other than that, it is not much different than a tram ride offered at many zoos, except you are closer to the animals.

disneydawniebeth
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I went to Disney in 2003 with a friend and her DD is the biggest scardy cat you have ever seen and she made it through KS just fine.

Seriously, if you take all the other posters advice and distract her, you should be fine.

One thing i don't know was mentioned, but is worth noting, is that there is a part of the ride that is meant to make you think the bridge is going to go out! I think this is the during the poacher scene, but really think that is more startling than children hearing poachers are after them (considering other than Bindi Irwin) I am not sure what 4 year old knows what poaching is!

Hope all the post help make your trip a fantastic one!

Wolf
04-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I dont think it would be too bad for her, I would put her on the inside next to you instead of on the outside, she wont be able to see the animals as much but there is one point when the truck speeds up and if shes on the inside you can just hang onto her and she shouldnt be scarred. I'd try it thats one of the not real scarry rides there and she would peobably love seeing the critters.

sunshinegirl
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
April 30! I am so excited. I will take all of your great advice. I'll let you know how we do when I return. :party: :thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
April 30! I am so excited. I will take all of your great advice. I'll let you know how we do when I return. :party: :thumbsup:

Have a great time!! You will all love it!! :thumbsup:

Raye3201
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
My DD (8) and DS (6) just love kilimanjaro safari and have for several years.

You could also take her to see the animals at animal kingdom lodge - that is a lot of fun for kids too.:mickey:

Jeff G
04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
My nephews, one of which was your dd's age, were afraid of almost everything the first time we took them but on the safari they were fine.

allie_to_you
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
The safari itself isn't scary at all, IMO, but the ride is very bumpy so that might be the only thing that would scare her. You see lots of animals, usually at a distance and you are in the vehicle the entire time. I think she will love it!