PDA

View Full Version : Christmas parade - HELP!

Goofy Pluto
04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
So I have an issue and I'm not sure what to do about it...

My daughter's birthday is Saturday, Dec 1. We are planning to stay at WDW an extra day to make sure she gets to spend her whole 5th Bday at a WDW park. Of course, we've been thinking for the longest time we'd been taking her to MK that day. How cool would that be? Spend your bday at MK!

Of course, I've found out now it appears as if the WDW Xmas parade will be taped at the park that day. It might be kind of cool to see that, but I imagine the park is unbearably crowded that day. I'm not sure that would be the best day for us to go. What do you think? A few questions:

IS the parade going to be that day? Does anyone know for sure?

I think I read somewhere something about having to get on a list to even get into the park that day. Is that true?

If the parade is going on, does that mean the rides are not as busy? Or is it busier than most days?

Has anyone been there during the parade? Is it unbearable?

What about the day before? That would be the prior Friday, Nov 30th. I think I read something about other things for the parade being done that day? Anyone know?

What other options do we have for visiting a park on her bday? I was thinking POSSIBLY Epcot, but just wondering about other possible options.

Thanks, everyone!

Harriet
04-11-2007, 06:29 PM
The taping is the first part of December but this year has not been announced yet, You do not need a speacil ticket to enter the park but the mainstreet area is very very crowed. Personnaly I would either go the day before and take her to Animal Kingdom or MGM. Epxot does not cater to small children IMHO but you would have to judge that for yourself since you know your child better then me. What about a Wishes Birthday Cruise?

LoriMistress
04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
From what I heard, the crowds of people being taped, it leaves all the rides with little to no lines. Other then that...you will feel that it's a waste of your time.

Goofy Pluto
04-12-2007, 10:02 AM
What is a Wishes Birthday Cruise?

faline
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
You rent a decorated float boat from which you watch Wishes. Availability is quite limited and books up the minute it is available.

Details here:http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/cruises.asp

dntccc
04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I have been told that as long as you avoid Main Street during the taping of the Christmas parade or other events, the rest of the park is not that bad. I have not had first-hand experience however.

Goofy Pluto
04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
You rent a decorated float boat from which you watch Wishes. Availability is quite limited and books up the minute it is available.

Details here:http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/cruises.asp

That's a little pricey for us.

Anyone else have any experiences/advice?

kakn7294
04-12-2007, 01:28 PM
We went to MK on Sat, Dec 2 last year. We arrived after the taping was done - probably 2:30p - and Main Street wasn't exceptionally crowded by this time. We headed over to Adventureland and found moderate crowds here. We only stayed until about 5p due to a dinner ADR. Overall, from the 3+ hrs that we were there, I didn't think it was that bad.

Strmchsr
04-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I've been 3 years during the parade taping, so here's my thoughts on it:

IS the parade going to be that day? Does anyone know for sure?

I think I read somewhere something about having to get on a list to even get into the park that day. Is that true?

If the parade is going on, does that mean the rides are not as busy? Or is it busier than most days?

Has anyone been there during the parade? Is it unbearable?

What about the day before? That would be the prior Friday, Nov 30th. I think I read something about other things for the parade being done that day? Anyone know?

What other options do we have for visiting a park on her bday? I was thinking POSSIBLY Epcot, but just wondering about other possible options.

The actual date of the parade taping has not been announced. That usually comes late September or October. However, if they follow the same pattern as the last several years the taping will be Nov 30-Dec 2.

No, you don't have to sign up to get into the park. The last 2 years you have had to sign up to watch the parade taping and be a part of the crowd that gets to be on television, but anyone with a park ticket can still get into the park.

The rides are the "normal" busy for weekends. That means the popular rides will have stand by waits of 45-60 min and the fastpass waits are usually are 20-30 min. Every weekend in December is busy as many of the local and AP folks come in for the parade taping and to see the Christmas decorations.

It's not unbearable. You can certainly enjoy yourself, but it's not a "do everything" kind of day. You really have to plan what you want to do and use fastpass.

Again, assuming the same schedule as the last several years, the musical guests will be taped in front of the castle on Friday, Nov 30, the parade itself is taped on Main Street on Dec 1 and Dec 2 is a makeup day. One large disadvantage to being in MK either day is you don't get any of those "magical" shots down Main Street towards the castle because lighting trees, camera booms, and stage equipment is everywhere. Somehow with all of this stuff in the way it detracts from your "magical" picture.

You can get a birthday button at any of the parks. If MK is her favorite, go ahead and try it. Just stay off of Main Street and away from the castle. If she enjoys one of the other parks, that might be a better idea, especially AK which tends to be less crowded.

Goofy Pluto
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you so much! This is very useful information! :thumbsup: