PDA

View Full Version : "Lovebugs" at the Resorts!

crazeedizneefinatic
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Last September when we were at Disney we encountered what they call "lovebugs". These flying insects join together in mid air to mate. Yes, it sounds funny but they were everywhere! We were there in mid September. We are going back 9/21 - 9/30 this year and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea if we will be encountering them again. Thanks!

Fangorn
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes. Yes, you will.

Steve

crazeedizneefinatic
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Oh great! Last year my son was deathly afraid of the two headed bugs! lol! This year we may need to explain, oh joy this should be fun!

scrappy
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid that the previous poster is correct. You will see lovebugs. May and September are the big months for these guys. Having said that, however, all seasons are not created equal. Some years they are horrendous and others you barely notice them. It varies from place to place in Florida. From the trip reports I read last September they seemed especially bad in the Orlando area, but in SW Florida they were pretty mild, and the reverse has happened in other years. So there's hope that it won't be too bad.

Just remember that they are completely harmless. They don't bite or sting or even buzz in your ears, but they do leave a nasty paint-eating residue on cars so if you're driving I would recommend washing your car ASAP.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh great! Last year my son was deathly afraid of the two headed bugs! lol!

My daughter was too. She went crazy every time one landed on her. We tried to explain that they would not hurt her, she was not hearing that. I swear people were probably wondering what the heck we were doing to her!! :blush:

We were there 9/12-9/23. We will be there the 14th-22nd of Sept this year. We have seen them in years past, never as bad as last year. I was even flipping about them by the end of the trip!! :sick:

Fingers crossed they are no where near as bad this year.

faline
04-12-2007, 05:46 AM
It seems like last year was a very heavy year for these insects. We've been there a number of times during love bug season and, for the most part, only occasionally saw them around the grounds of Disney. Hopefully, this year will be more like that!

January-2007
04-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Ironic, isn't it? May and September are both months with LoveBugs, and are both months we will be traveling to Walt Disney World this year. At least they're not harmless and we won't be driving. Hope they're not as bad this year, I remember all the horror stories in the trip reports last September.

DVC2004
04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Yes in droves. We were there too. Yuck they were everywhere. DH found them under his hat and I don't even want to tell you where I found them! Then we went to Disney's Vero Beach and there were even more over there if you can believe it.

Jeri Lynn
04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
We were there last year at that time also and it seemed that those lovebugs were in abundance, it was the worst I have ever seen them in all of my September trips.

Hopefully this year they won't be so plentiful, but, after last year there could be a bug baby boom!:blush:

Clotho
04-12-2007, 07:12 PM
all reports point to last year being crazy with lovebugs!! WHEW!

We went in 2004 and I hadn't read anything about them...and never remember seeing any. But we came between two hurricanes, so I wonder if they were all blown away or something??:bolt:

BrerGnat
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Ew. I hate bugs SO much that I won't even consider another trip in either May or September. I don't care that they are "harmless". I can't stand when insects invade my personal space. I freak out...I can't help it.

I would even forgo the free dining plan and stay away in September, I hate them that much...

RPHX2NC
04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Well great. DD3 will have a total meltdown if one lands on her! Maybe we should get a bug collecting kit this summer and work on liking bugs, aren't they cool?

We were there mid September 05 and did not see one lovebug. There was a hurricane stalled of the coast the entire time. Weather was cloudy, cool, only rained once. Wow it was GREAT!

GottaLvDisney
04-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Hopefully this year they won't be so plentiful, but, after last year there could be a bug baby boom!:blush:

Hmm, I'm hoping not! I have 4 'non bug-lovin' DDs, not to mention the fact that I'm not all that thrilled when they get too close. DH cracks up at me whenever I think I have a bug on my head - I guess I can get a little wiggy myself! :secret:

JPL
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Well great. DD3 will have a total meltdown if one lands on her! Maybe we should get a bug collecting kit this summer and work on liking bugs, aren't they cool?

Just hope it doesn't backfire and you end with a room full of cool bugs ;)

starrmomof2
04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Last year was our first encounter with the love bugs and I wouldn't have known what they were if it weren't for the folks on here talking about them. That said, it's funny that occasionally one of my DS will say the only thing they didn't like about the trip was the love bugs. I'm glad to hear that last year was a big year for them and maybe the trip we're 'planning' for '08 won't be so bad. Of course, I'd rather deal with the bugs than a hurricane.

BrerGnat
04-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Just for reference, I was there Sept 25-29, 2005. Just two weeks after one poster encountered "no love bugs".

You never know with those things, but their mating season is May and September. EVERY year.

kathiep
04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
:fingers: :fingers: We were there last year from 9/17 - 9/23 and they were everywhere.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because they didn't seem to bother my kids at all, 3 1/2 and 21 months.

But it drove my DH and I nuts. I know they are harmless and bugs usually don't bother me, but it was impossible to get away from these things.

Here's to hoping this year is better.

iheartdisney
04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
With how prevalent "lovebugs" are at WDW and with how often they're discussed on Intercot, I'm just surprised that there's no "smilie" to represent them. A :bee: or a :bfly: just doesn't give them justice!

Tynkerbelle
04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I was there in September '06, too (from the 9th through the 23rd). It was absolutely disgusting - lovebugs and/or lovebug guts EVERYWHERE!!!! You couldn't walk with your mouth open and you had to watch where you sat - UGH! (I cannot stand bugs of any variety, in case you couldn't tell). :eek:

We had a beautiful savannah view room at AKL and couldn't go out on the balcony to really enjoy it.....

I've been down in May and Sept. other years before (most recently in '05) and don't ever remember seeing them that bad - several CM's said that last year was a particularly heavy infestation.....

They gravitate to light colors, so wear them at your own risk (they do stain)!

Dicecatt262
04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, they were everywhere last September. Our resort (Poly) sprayed, so there were dead ones all over our balcony and the boats we rented. My friend stayed at ASMo and said they covered the resort and she was so grossed out. They get worse in the afternoon. And of course I'm going in May, so I might get to see them again in just a couple short weeks!

Is it just me, or does anyone else get irritated by that oh-so-cute Love Bugs name? They are NOT cute, they are icky.

Having said that, I am still going back in September, so I guess they weren't that bad! I'll deal with some harmless bugs to get low crowds. And at least this year youngest DD is old enough to swat them away from her, last year we had to make sure none went in her mouth!