PDA

View Full Version : Hotels off I-95 in SC & GA

TwoTinyWings
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
We're planning to drive down to WDW from MD this fall and are in search of hotel recommendations for clean, safe, family-friendly places to stop off I-95. I've done a bit of reading up on the boards on this topic, and am now looking for names of specific hotels other road tripping families have tried and liked within the past year or two. On our last drive, we stoped in Fayetteville, but are looking to stop a bit farther south this time, in SC or perhaps northern GA. Our kids will be 4 yrs. and 18 mos. at that point - we're looking for a stopover hotel, not a destination (i.e. we'll need a room and breakfast in the A.M., but that's it).

Any recommendations for tried-and-true hotel favorites will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

CleveSJM
04-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I would recommend the Country Inn and Suites just into Savannah. Easy off, on to the highway. Your kids are little so a regular room would be good. I'd recommend a suite when they get older.

I would say try to make it to Kingsland GA right before FL. There is another Country Inn and Suites there but also a nice Holiday Inn Express.

January-2007
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
When we drove in October we stayed at the Sleep Inn both on the drive down from Maryland and back from WDW. On the trip down we stopped near Savannah, Georgia, and on the way back we stopped some place in South Carolina. The hotel was really nice. The rooms were clean, I liked the layout. The breakfast was great. They had waffle irons and waffle batter so you could make your own waffles, and they were so yum. They also had juices, cereal, you know, typical breakfast fare. And this was included in the price of the room. We got a AAA discount as well, so that was nice. I would recommend the Sleep Inn.

Happy planning!

PrincessEmmasMommy
04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
We've used the Sleep Inn at the last S.C. exit 3 times. It is in Hardeesville. It is very clean, inexpensive and has a great Continental Breakfast that even has Make your Own Belgian Waffles.
Good Luck!
Jen

Love TinkTink
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Savannah, Georgia, exit on Road 204 has several brand new hotels (I don't know the exit number off hand) but it's one of the last exits before you get to Richmond Hill, GA) I saw several brand new ones, marriott brands are usually a good choice, check website and then call directly to the hotel to see when they were built... there's a mcDonalds right there, and several other fast foods, plus alot of the hotels now have a continental breakfast.. from that point on is about 5 hours or so.. ( we live in SC, used to live in Savannah).. Savannah is right across the border from SC on I95...That's where I would try to stop... .. :thumbsup:

TwoTinyWings
04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far! Please keep them coming!

We think Savannah will probably be too far south for our stop, so any recommendations for hotels in SC will especially be appreciated. Thanks again!

Melanie
04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Yemassee, SC on our way down last year. Nice hotel, easy on and off the highway. Recommended!

wdw_bound
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
There is a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Walterboro, SC (opened late last year). DH has family in Walterboro, so we stayed there in January and it was nice and clean. I'd highly recommend it. We'll stay there again when we visit his aunt and uncle. They have a continental breakfast, and there are plenty of restaurants at that exit if you need more to start your day. They also provided a crib for our DS at no charge.

If you do make it to Savannah, I'd also recommed the La Quinta just off the interstate. We stayed there in 05 and I was impressed. I'd never stayed in a La Quinta before, but here the room was better kept than many higher end hotels I've stayed in on business.

homeschool mom
04-14-2007, 10:49 AM
We've stayed at the La Quinta in Savannah, GA several times and it is very nice. It is right of the exit. I think it is exit 90-something. The rates are fair and they offer a continental breakfast.

BigRedDad
04-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Not sure what to recommend, but I can recommend a place not to stop. Do not stay at Hardeeville, SC. It is a few miles from GA, but the rooms are horrible, holes in the wall to the outside. Only reason we stopped there was our dog. Dogs aren't allowed in hotels in GA. I would recommend getting near Savannah. Hotels there will be nicer.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
04-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Savannah, Georgia, exit on Road 204 .. :thumbsup:

That'd be exit 94. We stayed there once, contemplated staying there another time, and stopped for a break there once. As I recall, if one heads east and doesn't turn at the traffic lite and pull into the hotels on the side road on the northbound side of 204 or turn into the dining area on the southbound side of 204, then (at least at night) doesn't seem to be any place to easily turn around until a mile or two down the road where the Walmart on US17 is. Of course, that could've changed. But, yeah, been there.

January 2006 - stayed at a new Holiday Inn in Santee, SC on the way home. Exit 98. Same exit with "Smith's" gas station and gift store (I get some pecans here).:thumbsup:

Stayed at "Savannah Inn" in September 2002 on the way down. Can't recall the exit. Can't find the business card. Can't find online. It was newish and nice.

On that last trip in January 2006 we stayed at the Best Western at exit 36 in Georgia. It was okay. Much better than the Howard Johnson at exit 3 (GA) from our previous trip in November 2003 (seemed like the last time they painted, cleaned, swept, vacuumed was circa 1971 when they likely opened hoping to grab some WDW I-95 traffic). :ill:

Good luck.

Aclay
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Last year we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Brunswick, GA. It was an extremely nice hotel. I was very impressed. They also had free continental breakfast the next morning that was wonderful. It included make-you-own-waffles as well as a lot of other options (not just donuts/muffins). It is literally right off I-95. It was so easy to get to and then hop right back on I-95 the next morning. It is the halfway point between where we live in NC and Orlando -- so it was perfect. We will be staying there again in May. I don't know if it is right for you but maybe someone else would like to try it!:mickey:

TwoTinyWings
10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Bumping this up - we leave in less than 2 weeks, so any further recommendations would be great!

JerseyDad
10-31-2007, 02:00 PM
....let me begin with, I don't know how far you like to drive or if it's a shared experience between a few drivers? That said...we've (I, actually) been driving from Central Jersey to WDW/Orlando each fall for the past 3 years (and will do so again...in 1.5 days!! I can't wait....we'll be at WDW 'till 11/11) Each time we've done so we chose to stay in the Brunswick, Ga. at the Hampton Inn (official address is 230 Warren Mason Blvd, Brunswick, Georgia). It's a 13 hour drive from home here in NJ...so I'd guess it'd be about a 10 hour drive from Md. Then, from Brunswick, Ga. it's about a 3-1/4 hour drive to WDW...!!

It's located directly off of I-95 at Exit 36A ( after the exit turn right between the Exxon Gas Station and Krystals Restaurant).

The rooms are clean...beds COMFORTABLE...and they have a great breakfast spread in the morning (eggs, sausage, hash browns, french-toast, fruit, cereal...etc). Of course...as great as that is, we opt out of that, and choose to go right across the parking lot to the Cracker Barrel...as an "official" start to the vacation (sort of a family tradition...a little shopping and a lot of eating!).

Tip: When you get into S.C., stop at one of the rest areas and get a Traveler magazine that cover S.C and points south. There will be a coupon in there for the hotel that gives a decent discount...and then call ahead from the road to reserve a room.

Have an enjoyable and safe trip....!!

ToDisney
11-02-2007, 12:38 AM
I figure you want to go further than Charlotte NC. So the best advice I can give you is the 1st exit in GA. Its HWY 21. Right after the Hardeeville SC exit mentioned before. Turn left, go under the overpass, thru the red light and on the left at the next light is a pretty new Hampton Inn.

There is another hotel being built to the right as you get off I 95. Your partner might see it from the road, its behind Wendy's. They could be open now, I really don't know. It would be BRAND NEW if you stopped by there.

Good Luck, and Drive Safely
:mickey:

TwoTinyWings
11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the additional suggestions! We stayed at a Hampton Inn in SC on the last trip and it's good to know that this chain is consistently a good choice. It seems the Sleep Inn chain would also be a good bet. Both chains seem to have a number of new hotels in SC and GA which is also good to know.

Any other suggestions?

I'm planning to take a list along with us of hotel names, locations, and phone numbers, so we know just where our overnight stop options are as it gets closer to nighttime (and we have a better idea of how far we'll get).

diz_girl
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
On our last trip we stayed at the Wingate Inn at Florence, SC. I think that there are two Florence exits and I think that this one is just off of the first Florence exit (rte 52). I would definitely stay there again.

tennantsrwe
11-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi!
I recommend the Holiday Inn Express off exit 70 in SC (Florence/Francis Marion Univ) We're originally from MB and have had people stay there and they seemed to like it. It's right off the interstate with a couple gas stations, Wendy's and McDonalds really close by. They have an indoor pool as well. I also recommend Savannah as a good stopping point. We stop over there on our WDW trips just to get a nice break, even though we have a fairly short drive. (I think it just allows us to leave a day earlier, lol) We're staying at the LaQuinta this Dec...they front desk was very nice in handling our ressies. Maybe you could give them a try. Thanks!

Purpleville
11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
We will be staying at the Best Western Richmond Hill (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35220-d589365-Reviews-Best_Western_Richmond_Hill_Inn-Richmond_Hill_Georgia.html)(GA) coming and going to Florida this month. First time at this hotel but Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60814-Savannah_Georgia-Hotels.html) gave it good reviews and AAA rate was reasonable. We have also stayed at the Days Inn & Suites (http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=dspv&flag=l&itid=&itdx=&itty=&from=f&foop=0&hwrq=&htid=42178&spsh=&spsi=&crti=4&nfla=1&mdpcid=21187-1.ExpediaHotelImagesGDSUS|+Hotel_Review|+none|+US&&zz=1194033915815&) Savannah Gateway (Formerly Comfort Inn). There are a number of hotels on this exit and many are probably better than the Days Inn.

ToDisney
11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
There is another hotel being built to the right as you get off I 95. Your partner might see it from the road, its behind Wendy's. They could be open now, I really don't know. It would be BRAND NEW if you stopped by there.

Good Luck, and Drive Safely
:mickey:

I think this may be a Days Inn and Suites too. (and yes it is open)
:balloon:

dizfanforever
11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
We LOVE Spring Hill Suites by Marriott in Florence, SC and stay there every time we take a road trip from way up here in New York. I would highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

We have 5 people in our family and it is perfect for us. There are two queen-sized beds plus a double-sized sleeper sofa. There is also a microwave and refrigerator in the room and free breakfast (with fresh waffles) included. It is located right off of I-95 and usually runs us around $100 including tax with our AAA discount.

I can't remember which Florence exit it is off of, though...

You can find info. about this hotel on the Marriott website. Hope this helps!

oldacademy
11-04-2007, 12:14 PM
We used to always stay at this HIE on Gateway Blvd. but I've heard it lost its Holiday Inn name.:confused: Anyone stayed there lately? It's still listed in AAA book. It was usually very good.