PDA

View Full Version : Most vivid childhood memory of WDW

disneyfunatics
04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
As I prepare to take my family to WDW for the :blush: 14th time, I can't help but remember my two most vivid memories of the parks:

Seeing the volcano at the Rio Del Tiempo for the first time (I remember thinking, "How can I be outside when we just came inside?";

and getting an unexpected face full of water at the 'dancing fountains' at Epcot.

I'd really like to read about other WDW fans first impressions when they got their first taste of Disney magic.:donald: :goofy: :mjump: :

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
We went once when I was a child and unfortunately I don't remember anything. My first memory in 1998 was how shocked we were on Spaceship Earth. Our mouths were hanging open in awe at the scenes. We still do it to this day for laughs:jaw:

Goofeygal
04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Mine has to be riding the Monorail at the end of the day and seeing the fireworks while on it.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2007, 08:27 AM
We went once when I was a child and unfortunately I don't remember anything. My first memory in 1998 was how shocked we were on Spaceship Earth. Our mouths were hanging open in awe at the scenes. We still do it to this day for laughs:jaw:

Watching it on TV on Sunday nights, and dreaming about going to the Magic someday! Looking down Main Street at the castle still takes my breath away, just like it did the first time I saw it as a "grown kid"!:cloud9:

Frog
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
My most vivid childhood memory was probably when my favorite Uncle made me ride my first roller coaster ever... The Matterhorn at age 10 (DL). I was petrified, mad and scared the whole time waiting in line, but was "hooked" when it was over!
My most memorable adulthood memory was when DD (8) gave Minnie a freindship bracelet she had made while we drove to WDW at the meet and greet.

4ubie1
04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I know this may sound weird but my most vivid memory came from heading to WDW. First time i went, we touched down in Orlando late at night. As we were driving to our hotel, i remember looking up and seeing the spotlights shining off the clouds and thinking that they were coming from WDW. I just remember imagining all the magic i was going to see tomorrow. And I wasn't disappointed :D

The most vivid memory inside WDW was walking into MK on our first day there and seeing the mickey head in flowers. I remember thinking " I have finally arrived." :mickey:

Tinkerkel
04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I was 5 years old in 1976 for my first trip to WDW. Typically, I was a very shy child & always "stuck like glue" to my parents. Well, as soon as we entered the Magic Kingdom, I spotted Tigger:tigger: . I guess I was overcome with excitement because I just took off & ran to him. I reached him just as another family was getting set to have a photo with him & I thought, "a picture with Tigger, cool!" so I stood with that family & had my picture made! :blush: By the time my parents reached me, Tigger had moved on, so I never got my own picture with him. I've always wondered what that family said as they were showing their pics to people back home..."here we are with Tigger & some little girl that wouldn't get out of the picture!" My DH & I went to WDW for our Honeymoon & my parents told him, "hang on to her because if she sees Tigger, she'll be gone!"

BrerSchultzy
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Anyone who knows me, knows that my most vivid childhood memory of WDW is also one of my most vivid memories of childhood.

I very much remember my dad taking me to the BRAND NEW monorail to Epcot, where you could get off and see the park under construction. Up until then, the Magic Kingdom, and the three resorts were in the middle of nowhere (literally and figuratively), and a trip to Disney Village was an adventure to a world with Disney characters, outside of the Magic Kingdom (unheard of!). But riding that monorail for what seemed like forever, and then getting to see a whole new park under construction....seeing the World Showcase being built across the lagoon...that was something special. I think we stood there for an hour. We both talk about it to this day.

Melanie
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
My most vivid childhood memory is of those big headed dolls that used to roam the World Showcase. :eek:

mttafire
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
When i was 4 "1974" i can remember the campground VERY well. I can only remember a little of the rest of the vacation but for some reason the campground sticks in my head.:mickey:

AliceinDisney
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
My most vivid childhood memories from my first time at WDW were: My sister and I going onto the Haunted Mansion for the first time. My sister was 2 and I was 5, and I was a little scared but intrigued, and my sister definitely was wary of the big gothic structure. So we get on the ride and my sister doesnt say a word, I sit with my Dad and she sits with my mom. My Dad said he thought I was a little scared but I think its more that I was fascinated! my eyes were saucers! Anyway, we got off the ride and my sister starts bawling her eyes out saying "I don't like that spooky place" and my parents took her on Small World to cheer her up as that was her favourite ride as a kid. I begged my Dad to let me go on HM again but he said no :( I was so disappointed! We went there for two days I think. The other thing I remember from my first day there was seeing the Walrus from Alice in Wonderland come out of the mens washroom adjusting the bottom of his costume. That made me giggle!

BritCody
04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
For me my most vivid memory was of my first trip in the summer of 1976. I always think back to watching the America's Parade on Main Street and seeing the Float with Mickey holding the American Flag with the 13 stars, Goofy playing the drum (big laundry pan with spoons) and Donald playing the flute will standing in front of a Big Bald Eagle. Until that time I had never seen a live parade that was anywhere near as Magical.

Marker
04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I was 23 on my first visit, so I guess my only childhood memories of WDW was hearing about it from friends who had gone. Actually, I remember one of my best friends telling me all about his trip to WDW, and I was very envious.

scottgr
04-11-2007, 11:28 AM
My most vivid memory of WDW was when I was 11 and my sister was about 2 1/2. I can remeber walking down main street hand in hand and seeing the robin hood (the fox) coming out to do a meet and greet. At that point my sister went running up to him as quick as the little legs could carry her and giving him a great big hug and he gave me a high five. It was great. I still have the pictures.

:mickey:

lyle21
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
the contemporary looms large in most of my childhood memories of wdw. there was only the poly and contemporary at this time and we were a contemporary family. i remember looking at all the shops in the lobby. the swoosh of the monorail. the restaurant at the very top where ca grill is now. i remember the champagne brunches up there where chefs would make omelets to order over little burners. i remember when my parents would leave us alone for an adult dinner while we stayed behind and ordered room service (i still remember the monorail sub). i remember my little sister asking a housekeeper in her sweetest voice for more pillow chocolates and of course getting them. i remember figuring out the elevator code for the top floor w/ the penthouse suites. the square and circle pools. the electric light show on the lake.

park memories include the character w/ the big orange on his head. my brother's altercation w/ a testy captain hook. and posing for pictures on cinderella's fountain. i remember king stefan's table and their chocolate cake w/ that layer of raspberries and the ice cold pewter cups.

later memories include a program for 12 or 13 year olds in which i participated. it was an art program and we all met at the institute (i think) where traditions classes for cast members were held. we all got a disney art book and a camera and were taken all over the magic kingdom and epcot w/ guides who explained the theming, the scale, the music, the landscaping, the attention to detail, the slight rises and falls of the walkways. we got to see the tunnels under the mk and met animators who drew pictures for us (i still have them). we were taught how to look at main street and how to take a good picture (still have the pictures). it was a great day and i often wonder if they still have things like this today.

PrincessAmanda
04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I was about 5 and I recall Mickey's Birthday celebration which is where Toon Town is now. They used to have birthday cupcakes that you could purchase and child-size fake stores in the area and the first thing I would do when I got to the Magic Kingdom is take a photo with my cupcake in the store entrance. As years went on, I could no longer fit in the tiny doorway.

magicman
04-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I was 17 and with my older sister(19). An evening shower turned into a downpour, and we dashed into Cinderella's Castle. We had no idea there was a restaurant in the castle until then. We asked the hostess if we could eat there and were able to get in. I remember walking up the winding castle staircase thinking, "I'M GOING UP INTO THE CASTLE!!!" In the middle of dinner, the fireworks went off, and I remember thinking..."It can't get any better than this."

poeticeclipse
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I have the biggest lump in my throat reading everyones childhood memories. I can't just say one or I'd really be skipping out on lots of good stories.

My dad passed away a month before my 7th birthday. Mom always told me that daddy always wanted to 1) get me a pony & 2) take me to Walt Disney World in Florida. Of course, I thought "geez, my dad's going to be sad in heaven when I don't get either. We weren't very well off and money was a struggle. Somehow, when I was in 4th grade my mom decided that we could afford to go to Walt Disney World with my older brothers and their kids.

I remember the plane ride distinctly. I was praying to God that the plane wouldn't crash and that we'd make it okay. After landing and getting our rental car we headed for the "big moment" of my life. As we drove under the big "Walt Disney World" welcome sign I remember thinking "this is where I belong." To this day I still feel my dads presence when I'm on the WDW property.

Another memory is a not so good one. During my trip when I was in the 4th grade I discovered that one of my favorite attractions was Horizons. I kept requesting to ride it over and over again. I got to go back to WDW in the 7th grade with my mom and older brother. I was so excited when we went to Epcot because I was raring to go to Horizons. I remembered exactly where it was and I ran to it as soon as the park opened. Only, it wasn't there. It was just an abandoned building that looked dead and lifeless. I looked back and my mom and she looked like she was going to cry. Of course, I started bawling and moped around the rest of the day. Turns out I only missed it's closing by weeks. Maybe someday we'll have reborn Horizons. That'd be awesome!

Okay, one more quick story. When I was 17 my family and I got to Epcot right when it opened. We saw the big character bus pull around and all the characters started to get off. I pulled out my autograph book and my mom pulled out her camera and we were ready. Not even two seconds later a CM asked me "Do you want to be the first one to meet Mickey today?" And I screamed "omg, yes!" She said "wait right here." A few minutes here comes Mickey sneaking up behind me and I turned around and gave him the biggest hug. It was one of those "blissfull and perfect" moments.:cloud9:

CrazyStitch
04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't remember a whole lot about when I was a kid, but I do remember a few things about my trips to WDW. We used to go each summer, but because we were a 6-person family, we couldn't all go at the same time. So one year, the boys would go (of course, my parents both went), while the girls would go the next (2 girls, 2 boys. Worked out well enough :) ), or the two older, then the two younger. The last time we went before my parents divorced, all six of us were able to go together.

I remember riding Dumbo with my mom, and BTMR, or the runaway train as we called it, with my dad. I remember riding Horizons, and picking the space ending. I remember riding up the big ramp on the World of Motion, and running through the rainbow tunnel in Journey into Imagination. I remember Communicore, and going up some stairs to see some presentation up there. I remember Peter Pan's Flight, and how cool it felt to fly through a ride. I remember watching Captain EO, my first exposure to 3D movies. Strangley, I specifically remember walking through the exit hallway, which came flooding back to me when I saw HISTA on my last trip.

I'm planning a new trip in August, and my kids will be going for the first time (ages 10, 7, and 3). I hope they'll be able to remember their time at WDW better than I remember mine.

MomofKatie
04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
My most vivid memory of my first WDW trip was being in a Doom Buggy in the Haunted Mansion. I was 7, and a big scardey-cat about haunted houses, but my evil big brother assured me that the Haunted Mansion was not scary at all. I made my dad pick me up and hold me in the Stretching Room- then, when we got on the Doom Buggies, I closed my eyes and put my head down and just waited for it to be over. I misjudged the end, though, and opened my eyes right in time to see one of the Hitchhiking Ghosts SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! I let out a huge shriek and just about passed out from fright, and I could hear my mean 'ol brother in the Doom Buggy behind me, snickering.

34 years later, I like the Haunted Mansion, but I still don't like those Hitchhiking Ghosts!!!

Kristi Kay
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Thinking that there were real sea creatures in 2000 Leagues Under the Sea...then going back and think what in the world!

Kristi Kay
04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Thinking that there were real sea creatures in 2000 Leagues Under the Sea...then going back several years later and thinking what in the world!

darthmacho
04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
My most vivid childhood memory of WDW was not going! Don't feel too bad for me, I never actually had an interest, until at the age of 27, I saw that brochure with the picture of the Wilderness Lodge inside. :pine:

My most vivid memory of my fist visit, however, is always going to be walking into the Wildeerness Lodge lobby. :mickey:

Another vivid memory of my first visit is the mroning sun as we waited on the WL boat dock for the water shuttle to MK for our first ever visit to that park. In the morning haze, it really looked like it was painted by a child, with points and everything. :sun:

angedeaile
04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I never went as a kid, but my boyfriend has.

He barely recalls his trip since he was a lil one, but remembers one memory quite vividly.

Him standing on the balcony at his resort, watching fireworks while playing with a light toy he got at the park. He grins everytime he recalls it :)

He has no clue what resort it was he stayed at, but I want to guess the Grand Floridian since his sister claims they took a monorail to and from their hotel.

When he called his sister to try and see if she remembered where they stayed, they both ended up remembering going to eating at what they think was Cindy's Castle and remember not having enough straws.

They had a nice chuckle.

disneyfan369
04-11-2007, 07:41 PM
When we went to see It's Tough to be a Bug! I got so scared during the show that I jumped into the lap of a college guy who was sitting next to me. :blush: I was about ten, and I was so embarrassed! I couldn't even look at him, but he just laughed.

LoriMistress
04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I never went to WDW as a child. I've been to DLR numerous times as a child.

The earliest memory I have was when I was a baby (probably a year old), and I was in a stroller. I playing with my mom's keys. I had a balloon tied to my stroller. My mom was around MSUSA and looking at the castle. My mom has a picture of me of that. I was wearing a Mickey Mouse outfit.

Kairi_7378
04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
... but my most vivid memory of my first trip to Disney World was meeting Minnie Mouse when I was 3. It took me 25 years to make it back to see Minnie at the Toontown Fair. When I saw her in line, I got a lump in my throat! But I was also thinking, "Last time I saw her, she was a LOT bigger!"

BigRedDad
04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't remember it, but my parents' bring it up whenever we are talking about WDW. The people at WDW said I was the first person to get their head stuck in the railing in the walkway to get into the Haunted Mansion. This was back when it first opened in 71 or 72. I was just over just over 1 year old.

Besides the normal things, Fort Wilderness campground, campfire movies, was "sneaking" away from the parents to go to the Contemporary arcade. They had a GIANT pinball machine called "Hercules". It took 3 people to play: one to shoot the ball, and one for each flipper. I think I was about 5 or 6 then.

Dang, forgot another one. Michael and the Iceberg Machine in Land of Tomorrow.

MindyMouse
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I remember once, when I was about 8 years old, we were eating at Pinocchio's and I dripped grease from my cheeseburger onto my pale green pants. I was never able to get it out.

Another memory is from when I was 13ish. I fractured my ankle at cheerleading practice a few days before our Disney trip. I remember refusing to use a wheel chair to get around, despite having a big cast on my leg. I remember barely getting to Tomorrowland on my crutches before I sent my mom and grandma back for one. After that, we had the pleasure of not having to wait in line. We were taken into the exits and were put right on everything! All 9 of us!

2Epcot
04-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I wasn't really a kid when I first went to WDW, I was about 19, but I most remember taking the ferry over to the Magic Kingdom and watching the castle grow bigger as we got closer. I had looked at pictures of it for so long, I couldn't believe I was there.

I of course remember walking into Epcot Center, and seeing the huge ball, and hearing that great music. From the second I walked in, it created a lasting memory. Even when I walk in today, I still recall walking next to my parents as we came in the first time.

Another great memory is the "Spirit of America" parade from the 80's. It is the only parade song I have never forgotten in over 20 years, and instantly recall the song and music when I think of that visit. :mickey2: :flag:

Goofy Pluto
04-12-2007, 10:46 AM
It's hard for me to believe it's been almost 30 years since my first trip (when I had just turned 6) and how many little things I remember from it. Things I remember...

My first airplane flight on Eastern Airlines and getting wings pinned to my jacket.

Staying at the Polynesian and thinking what a wonderful place it was. (I wish it wasn't so expensive these days so we could stay there again...)

Swimming in the 7 Seas Lagoon (you could back then...)

Also swimming in the resort pool, coming down the water slide, and nearly drowing at the bottom when my Dad didn't catch me. :(

Eating at a restaurant at the Polynesian for breakfast, but it wasn't in the Main House. (Does anyone else remember that?)

Coming back from MK with my parents and running ahead with my little brother to beat them to our room... only we went to the wrong building and got lost. What a relief it was when I saw my Dad coming to get us!

Being in our room at night and hearing some music coming from outside while we were taking a bath... only to look out the curtain and seeing the Electrical Light Parade on the Lagoon! And then my Mom turning out the lights so people didn't see my brother and I standing naked in the sliding glass door. :blush: And then going out another night to watch it from the beach.

Eating at Cinderella's Castle for dinner, the only time I can remember doing that... and how I didn't like the food. :sick: (I was 6).

Riding the speedway with my Dad... and hitting the center rail as much as I could! :D

My Dad getting his revenge on the Teacups by spinning it as fast as he could... I spent the entire ride with my head bent back over the side of the cup! :crazy:

Seeing Eeyore walking through a back walkway and through a door to take a break.

Going to Discovery Island.

Of course, riding the Monorail! Through a building! And in general...

Thanks for bringing up this topic. What a great trip down memory lane! I can't wait to make some more memories with my own children this year!

BrerSchultzy
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I know I've chimed in already, but this is such a great thread, I thought I'd throw some other ones in.

The best picture ever taken of me was taken in one of the rooms at the Contemporary when I was 5 or 6. I had just gotten one of those cool wooden pistols at PotC (blunderbuss?), and I had spent the morning at the beach at the Contemporary...I ran into the room, guns ablazing...and somebody took a picture...it's still my favorite.

And one last childhood memory...

Paper straws at the Plaza Pavilion.

TiggerRPh
04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I never went to WDW as a child...so no childhood memories.

:(

Figgyluv03
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I think I said this on another thread yesterday, but sad to say, but on my first trip, I'd wake up and say "Disney again, when are we going home to New Jersey." I must have been on something as a toddler.

grumpycajun
04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Our very first ride on PoC in Disneyland. It was truly a WOW moment. The First time in the Haunted Mansion is a very close second.:mickey:

Jerry2
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Our first trip was in 1976. WDW was celebrating the bicentennial. I was 17 and my younger brothers were 13 and 9. It was our first real family vacation.

With the exception of my Dad, no one in my family had been on an airplane. :plane: We flew National Airlines out of JFK. Dad got us to the airport several hours before our flight. We bugged him for a quarter so we could watch a pay TV in the terminal (Anyone remember those?) he finally gave in and let us watch for 30 minutes.

My MOST vivid memory was the first time we walked out from under the WDW train station in into the Magic Kingdom. It really was Magic.

I remember dealing with ticket books and planning which rides we were going to use them for.

I remember riding Mission to Mars (now Stitch’s Great Escape), “If You Had Wings” (now Buzz), COP, Wedway People Mover (TTA), Peter Pan, Mr. Toad (Pooh), 20000 Leagues, Snow White, Small World, Skyway, Teacups, HM, Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, and SFR Tree House, POC. The funniest thing was riding Space Mountain with Mom and Dad. They aren’t ride people, and watching Mom squeeze into that car and listening to Dad’s comments was hilarious! :coaster:

WDW really blew me away! Even though I was 17 I felt like a 7 year old. I fell in love with WDW on that trip and it’s the reason why I love going back there. Every time I go I feel like a kid again. :magic:

AdventurerKim
04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
My favorite childhood memory is riding the ferry back to our car from MK as the fireworks were happening. That was 1980, and my grandfather was holding me so I could see. :cloud9:

Mikey Piano 23
04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I was 7 (16 years ago) when we took our first trip to Disney World. I remember telling my 2nd grade teacher before we left how excited I was. I am now a teacher, and when any of my students tell me they are going I still remember that day and how excited I was when I told my teacher!!

Kids are awesome!

wiltsan
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
My first trip to WDW was when I was seven and while I remember the caroseul, walking down main street and seeing my castle, small world, haunted mansion and space mountain with my grandfather - my most vivid memory was walking through LIberty Square and Pooh running up to my mom and giving her a huge hug. The park was almost empty and we were taking our time strolling and my mom said, "Look its Pooh." He heard and came running over, hugged us, "chatted" with us, it was great. No "character spots," no line, no rules - just free and spontaneous. He was also the Pooh with the hunny pot on his head so I am dating myself :)

pogo
04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I love reading these but I'm too :old:to have a childhood memory about WDW.:(

But I remember watching the MM Club onTV and saying I wanted to go there.:mickey:

My first experience at WDW was in 2001 and boy, was I a kid again. :thumbsup: Seeing Cinderalla's Castle for the first time was special then, and still is now. :D

Mickey91
04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
My earliest memories (I was 2) are of smallworld(Loved It!!!!) and Carousel of Progress. I thought it was so cool that you could sit down and go in a circle around the stage. I met the Big Bad Wolf and was terrified of him. The Haunted Mansion was the scariest thing I had ever seen besides the big bad wolf! And the Main Street Electrical Parade was magic!! I was completely awed by the monorail and thought it was a ride too. The magic didn't truly end until we were in the car headed back home.

Yeah!!!!:minnie: It's my 70th post!!! :cheer: I'm finally a cast member!!!:pixie:

poeticeclipse
04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah!!!!:minnie: It's my 70th post!!! :cheer: I'm finally a cast member!!!:pixie:

Congrats! I love that feeling of moving on up! I also have vivid memories of CoP. That ride will forever be engraved into my memory. It's so sad that people sleep on it! I'm the big mouth singing along with the theme song! haha!!:thumbsup:

Jared
04-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I have two specific memories from my first trip in 1991:

1) Riding "it's a small world" for the first time was an incredible experience. For a 3-year-old, the music and sets are completely unforgettable. I was too young to realize the dolls are haunting.

2) I don't remember much about this attraction, but there used to be something at the Disney-MGM Studios devoted to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I loved the old animated series as a child.

:mickey:

PixiePrincess
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I was a child the first time I went to WDW, and I can vividly remember how scared I was of the Haunted Mansion at the time! I cried and pulled my hat over my eyes the entire ride! Now it's one of my favorite attractions! I also remember the original Journey into Imagination with Figment and the Dreamfinder, it was my favorite! I absolutely loved the rainbow hall after the ride! I sure do miss that!

Mickey91
04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Congrats! I love that feeling of moving on up! I also have vivid memories of CoP. That ride will forever be engraved into my memory. It's so sad that people sleep on it! I'm the big mouth singing along with the theme song! haha!!:thumbsup:

When you hear someone else singing with you, it just might be me. I hate it that the cast members introduce it as the nap stop! I try to be loud enough so no one falls asleep!!hee hee!!:trio:

illini
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
These are so lovely to read.

I remember being 12 and sitting on Mickey's lap for a picture. I was thrilled and mortified all at once. :blush:

Also, Epcot had only been open a few months and I so so so wanted to go on Spaceship Earth, but the line was about 2 hours and my parents said no way (I think my brother was on the verge of heat stroke).

KAJUNKING
04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I was 5 years old in 1976 for my first trip to WDW. Typically, I was a very shy child & always "stuck like glue" to my parents. Well, as soon as we entered the Magic Kingdom, I spotted Tigger:tigger: . I guess I was overcome with excitement because I just took off & ran to him. I reached him just as another family was getting set to have a photo with him & I thought, "a picture with Tigger, cool!" so I stood with that family & had my picture made! :blush: By the time my parents reached me, Tigger had moved on, so I never got my own picture with him. I've always wondered what that family said as they were showing their pics to people back home..."here we are with Tigger & some little girl that wouldn't get out of the picture!" My DH & I went to WDW for our Honeymoon & my parents told him, "hang on to her because if she sees Tigger, she'll be gone!"

thats pretty funny!

KAJUNKING
04-20-2007, 01:01 AM
i remember a few things, the jumping fountains, figment (we at that time had never seen him) my parents still have my figment beach towel that i got on our first trip, also i remember horizons (not much from my first trip, i just remember being able to pick the ending) and space and thunder mountain, and hop, it is still one of my favorites, so many good memories, i hope one day my kids will be chatting about all the memories they have had at disney :mickey:

rsumrall
04-20-2007, 01:38 AM
I remember eating at the HDDR - we sat in the first row of the balcony and had a blast! I also remember Captain EO - Michael Jackson was all the rage back then.

SpecJoe Magic
04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Most of my vivid childhood memories at WDW were created at the Contemporary. The Fiesta Food and Fun Center (now known as the Food and Fun Center) was always an exciting experience. I've always been a huge fan of video games and visiting that arcade as a child was very special to me. We usually stayed in a garden wing room, but I remember a trip in 1988 when we stayed in a tower room. I was 7 years old at the time, and I remember standing just outside of our room and watching the monorail pass through the building. :cloud9:

Bear Lee
04-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I would have to say my most vivid memory would be "if you had wings" ride.

BigBaloo
04-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I have 2 memorable moments. One was from my first trip when I was 4. I was going to have my picture taken by some characters by Snow White's Adventures. Well my dad goes to line me up in the picture with Pooh & I'm not there. I had already said hi to Pooh & saw Baloo (notice avatar) & took off. I knew where I was the whole time, but I remember turning around & seeing my dad standing on the cement wall by the Dumbo ride with a look of sheer terror on his face. It's something I'll never forget.

The second memory is from my 2nd trip in 1976 & we had waited for popcorn for 20 minutes or something ridiculous like that. We then were going on HM & was only 1/2 done w/ the popcorn & they said I couldn't take it on the ride & my dad was about to blow his stack. The CM told us it would be waiting for us at the end of the ride & it was! That just sums up the level of service that Disney provides. :magic:

ravsluvdisney
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
This is probably more an observation - and an obvious one at that - rather than an actual 'memory'. But thinking back to my trips in the 70's as a kid and after a long stretch going back now as an adult....everything seemed bigger then!! The monorail, the lake, topiary on the grounds, the characters, the rides. I realized this when I took my older DS out to Tom Sawyer Island, which for no real good reason I have not touched foot on since back in the day. After rafting across, I immediately had old flashbacks as a 10-year old running around the island. Then after 10-15 minutes I thought, it was only this big?! Bottom line - going to WDW as an adult is fun but it can't beat going as a young 'un!! :thumbsup:

Khfan13
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Going on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom, seeing the 7 Dwarves as I walked down Main Street, eating a Mickey Ice Cream Bar:bar: , going on the Haunted Mansion:hmghost: , going on Splash Mountain, and the Beauty and the Beast stage show, and being scared to meet Timon. And finally, eating at the Pinnochio Village Haus and seeing the King Triton fountain behind Ariels Grotto, and getting the Chicken Pox on my last day of our vacation...

acetate
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
I was first there in '74 I think. I'd have to check with my parents, but the most vivid memory for me was stepping onto the seemingly iron-clad surface of Captain Nemos sub. After taking our seats below the water line we embarked on our journey beneath the sea. I loved it. Seemed completely real to me and it was soooo cool to watch these huge subs emerge from behind a waterfall and pull up to the docks. It looked even better at night with underwater lights in the lagoon. So very sad that today this space remains empty.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
04-29-2007, 10:48 PM
My first memory as a child that I can remember would be what is now Cosmic Rays in the MK. I don't remember what it used to be called but I remember they used to have the Cinderella mice in there. I was probably about 4 years old and I jumped from my table and started dancing with them. My Mom told me that was one of our lunch visits with Dad during his lunch shift at the MK, but for some reason that's the only one I can remember. :(

Dakota Rose
04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
March 1988: I was 11 and already a Disney die-hard. We were at Disney Village trying to get some dinner. The riverboat restaurant (was it Fulton's back then?) was booked. I think there was a party going on or maybe a wedding? Anyhow, the host led us to the boat dock off the back of the boat and we boarded a motorized boat. I remember it being like a pontoon boat. The driver took us down the river/lagoon to a somewhat fancy restaurant with big tall padded chairs. We had to get back the same way we came and it was dark. My dad asked the boat driver about alligators and I remember being terrified.

I have no idea where exactly the restaurant was or even what it was called. But that's my most vivid memory of WDW as a kid.

Dakota Rose
04-30-2007, 12:28 AM
P.S. I often have this same dream where I'm in the little courtyard/garden area just off Town Square. I've had this dream off and on since our first trip in 1988.