PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith -- just wondering

Marker
04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm not trying to start rumors, or any confrontation. But, on my last couple of visits something occurred to me....

I Aerosmith becoming too dated for this attraction? Now don't get me wrong, I'm a MAJOR Aerosmith fan, and love their tie in to the movie. But, let's face it, they are not typically at the top of the charts these days.

I think Aerosmith was an excellent choice. They are a real rock back, which I think is important for the ride. It needs a band with a serious edge. It would be the same with a pop sound. They are no angels, but they are also not overrun with bad press. And with the help of the movie Armegeddon, their hit "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was a nice cross over to gain some non-rock audience . Aerosmith was (is) popular with a wide age range of fans.

I still love that Aerosmith is the associated band, but is it approaching time to perhaps look at a more contemporary group? And if so, who do you think would be a good choice? And why?

TiggerRPh
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Aerosmith is still extremely popular even among the younger music listeners. My oldest son is 20 and listens to them and loves them.

As for not being angels...come on....who's popular enought over the last 50 years of rock music to warrant an attraction that would be?

I think the ride with Aerosmith is fine and they don't need to change it.

mrsgaribaldi
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Aerosmith is still extremely popular even among the younger music listeners. My oldest son is 20 and listens to them and loves them.

As for not being angels...come on....who's popular enought over the last 50 years of rock music to warrant an attraction that would be?

I think the ride with Aerosmith is fine and they don't need to change it.

Me too:thumbsup:

caryrae
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
If they did change the music I wouldn't mind hearing some Bon Jovi. They are one of my favorite bands and think they are just as big or will be just as big as Areosmith.

Imakejessicarabbitjelous
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
im 17 and have adored aerosmith since i was 11 maybe earlier:):cloud9:

Jasper
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
The music is certainly fairly timeless as far as rock and roll goes so I don't think that is a real issue. As far as the footage is concerned, Disney did do an original video which is what you see during the preshow so they appear reasonably accurate to their current age. Granted, it has been a while now since that video was done so they may need to update it fairly soon.

Marker
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
If they did change the music I wouldn't mind hearing some Bon Jovi. They are one of my favorite bands and think they are just as big or will be just as big as Areosmith.

I don't know if Bon Jovi would be much of a step forward. Personally, I like Bon Jovi. But Bon Jovi has kind of wandered off the Rock road and wandered over in the Country side of the highway. And I really don't think their popularity is maintaining the level that Aerosmith has.

Absolute kudos to Aerosmith, I have been listening them since high school, a long long time ago. Back when Dream On was a NEW song. And I know they are still popular, but at some point, that's going to change. Perhaps it's not the time yet. And I guess I really don't know at this point who would be a suitable replacement.

jrpersinger
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
If they were to replace them I would hope they would do it with 3 Doors Down! But thats only because I have a minor obsession with them! I can see riding to Kryptonite. :cloud9:

Honestly most bands these days have songs that are atlittle to "dirty" and "druggy" for a Disney ride. Granted Love In A Elevator is a very dirty song, but most young kids would never get what it means... or atleast I would hope not. Okay, so alot of their songs are not so kid friendly. But atleast their songs are not so in your face about "adult things" and most kids would never get the meaning. So they are great for both kids and adults.

Soooo..... I say stick with Aerosmith, they are timeless!

alpro2
04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Actually, Disney approached The Rolling Stones first, but they wanted too much money. Considering that, I think we can safely say that Aerosmith will be ok for a while. ;)

Chernabog1326
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
To answer the other part of your question, I am completely drawing a blank on trying to find a band that is more current, wholesome and appealing to all ages and tastes. There are several Country music acts that fit the first two categories, but if MGM is trying to give the park a " Hollywood Vibe ", a long haired rock band would have to be used. If you look at the rock music industry these days, there are not many bands with any staying power anymore. Ever since the introduction of the music video, the entire music industry has put good looks above all else. It does'nt matter anymore if an artist can't write music, play an instrument, or even sing for that matter. As long as they are attractive, they will sell cd's. Someone can write all their songs for them, they can always find good musicians, and with modern recording techniques, even the worst singer in the world, can sound like a grammy winner. Whew!! I think I'll step down from my soapbox:soapbox: ,

kakn7294
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
My DD 7 who is very short for her age and has yet to ride this attraction loves to sit outside and listen to the tunes played in the courtyard of the ride. My 12 yo DD likes Aerosmith too. Although neither one listens to them on a consistent basis, they do know who they are.

battle beast
04-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Fleetwood Mac? Weird Al?:thumbsup:

I would have LOVED to have the stone (Of which I am listening to right now, ironically) to come on blasting from zero to 60...

caryrae
04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
How bout we get some Metallica blarin through the ride.:rocker: :drummer: :pipes: OK I don't know how the bag pipes fit in?

Exo
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
They are timeless, leave the ride alone. :thumbsup:

Marker
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Fleetwood Mac - they don't exist anymore

Weird Al - Yeah right :mickey:

Metallica - Yeah, Master of Puppets would work for me, but do they still exist? And they don't have a broad enough fan base to be "acceptable".

Interesting, I can think of bands from 60s & 70s that still exist, but what about 80s & 90s. And it would have to be a band that is not only widely popular, but is stable as far as band members, you can't be changing the video every few months as members come and go, or bands break up and reform. I guess the older the band the better because it broadens the fan base.

You know, as I've gotten to think about this, maybe there isn't another band that would fit.

How about REO? Not much going on now though, pretty much a classic rock band. Yes, I know, they just had a new release, but has anyone heard it?

caryrae
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
How about REO? Not much going on now though, pretty much a classic rock band. Yes, I know, they just had a new release, but has anyone heard it?

2 members off the band were at one of the Walmarts in the Twin Cities recently and even sang some songs. It was to help promote the new CD. I didn't see them, I didn't even know they where there til I heard it on the news.

Wolf
04-10-2007, 10:20 PM

Oh man you hook me up with some "Shot through the heart" and I'd never get off that ride. One of the main reasons I think we've missed RRC our 2 trips is because I have never liked Aerosmith and mom isnt crazy about them. Oh!! QUEEN!!! That would be the best EVER! I remind yall I'm 20 so all of these were in their hay day before my time but still, I'm just not crazy for Aerosmith.

Gator
04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
The only other group as far reaching as Aero is U2. And they don't have a lot of rockin' tunes - good tunes but not really rockin' like Aero. Besides, if it was U2, we'd all be piling into a stretch Prius accellerating 0-60 in 2.8 months.

big blue and hairy
04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Besides, if it was U2, we'd all be piling into a stretch Prius accellerating 0-60 in 2.8 months.

:funny:

Aerosmith is the band for this ride. Hype and self-promotion aside (thanks Mick), I like the Stones, but Aerosmith is the world's greatest rock and roll band.

:sulley:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
The music is certainly fairly timeless as far as rock and roll goes so I don't think that is a real issue. .

I was going to post just that one word, and I see it popped into several other minds...."Timeless".

If it ain't broke,don't fix it....:drummer:

Belle--86
04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Aerosmith is the best choice there timeless--my older sisters and I listened to them and now my daughters listen to them(there 15 and 13) and there still big with kids there age. So I feel there thet right choice for the ride . :cool: :cool: :cool:

borlando
04-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Aerosmith does fit in very well with this ride. Hypothetically though, if Disney did decide to go "younger" I would say Pearl Jam would have to be the way to go. They definitely have the staying power (15 years since "Ten" was released) and they have more than a few songs heavy enough to fit the ride. At the same time, PJ has pretty much always gone against the "corporate world" (for lack of a better phrase).

MNNHFLTX
04-11-2007, 08:47 AM
I think Aerosmith is still a great choice for this ride. My 14-year-old even had his interest sparked in their music when he started going on this ride and now likes it as much as I do.

Now the pre-show video is getting a little old (and dated) to me. I wouldn't mind if they made a new one (with Aerosmith).

MarkC
04-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm 47 and my sons 17 and 14-- we all like Aerosmith, and their songs fit the style of the ride. Another thing that Disney has got to like-- they have sworn off drugs and alcohol for years. They really don't get into any trouble and all seem to be decent sort of people, especially considering the news that lots of other bands make. There are groups from the 60's and 70's who haven't had hits for years that are still popular, so they are good for years.

Belle619
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm actually not a huge Aerosmith fan, but I have to say that they really do fit in well with the ride. They go with the theming of not only RnR, but also that whole portion of the park. They are very "Hollywood" and still relevant in the music industry, so I would see no need to redo the ride.

Honestly, I think there are a handful of other attractions at the park that are more in need of an update!

dumbodoughboy
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I love Aerosmith for the ride, but if something happened, and the group representing the ride had to change, the first group that popped into my head was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now, I am not a real big fan, in fact some of their songs I really can't stand. But, they are more contemporary then Aerosmith, and I can't see them going anywhere for a while. Can't you just see "Roller Coaster of Love" playing in the background as you launch from 0-60? I know they are more funky then rock, but still.... But then again, what do I know? I'm 37 and my favorite bands in the whole world are 3 Doors Down and Franz Ferdinand.......:blush:

Marker
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
The Chili Peppers music would work, but I think their "tube sock" image may not be quite right for Disney.

Hey, if one can dream, America kind of fell in love with Ozzy after their TV show..... I think "Crazy Train" could be a decent fit.

Pearl Jam, I don't know. Yeah, they've been around a while, but not at a very wide audience level.

Queen, oh yeah, that would have worked. But it would be tough to make a video with Freddie Mercury being dead. ( And Queen with Paul Rodgers singing just doesn't work for me, sound like Bad Company covering Queen songs)

Another nice fit about Aerosmith is that they are an American Band, which to me is a nice touch for a Disney park, at least for a Disney park here America. Wait a minute, I said American Band.... how about Grand Funk Railroad??? ok, not too contemporay.... but way, Jackyll did that song too, I could get into Jackyll on that ride, but not a very wide audience.

I'm thinking they'd have a really really hard time replacing Aerosmith's fit to this ride.

bleukarma
04-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Aerosmith is the only band I can think of that has crossed so many generations and stayed on top. And the fact that they have publically sweared off drugs and alcohol really helps with the Disney image. The Stone's are still well known, but when is the last time they have put out a hit? And weren't they in the news just last week for some type of drug related controversy?

Also Aerosmith's sound appeals to many genre's. I think that people that listen to pop, rock and country can all appreciate the sound of Aerosmith.

Isn't Red Hot Chili Peppers in some of DL's rides? I've never been there but it seems like I read something somewhere that they were adding RHCP's to the soundtrack of a ride or two over in California. They too have swore off drugs and alcohol but they haven't remained clean as long as Aerosmith has.

Jerry2
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I really don’t think any one band would be a better fit for this ride than Aerosmith. They have a great catalog, they have withstood the test of time, they have a relatively clean image, and they are all still alive.

The only other option that I can see would be if it wasn’t band specific but was just Rock-n-Roll themed and had music from many rock bands both classic and contemporary. I’m not sure if it’s cheaper to pay one big royalty to Aerosmith or pay a smaller royalty to several dozen other people.

If you do it that way you can include classic hits as well as current flashes in the pan and you can play Bon Jovi’s hit too. :laughing:

Figgyluv03
04-11-2007, 12:17 PM

These are my two favorite bands! I'm always listening to them!!

Marker
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
The only other option that I can see would be if it wasn’t band specific but was just Rock-n-Roll themed and had music from many rock bands both classic and contemporary. I’m not sure if it’s cheaper to pay one big royalty to Aerosmith or pay a smaller royalty to several dozen other people. :laughing:

Interesting thought, not knowing which band you would see in the pre-show. Maybe one of a half dozen. Maybe even diffent story lines and set ups. Hmmm, could be interesting. Then adjust the ride music to be the group that your pre-show saw. Not suggesting a change, just an interesting concept.

caryrae
04-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I also wouldn't mind hearin some Def Leppard either.

Kristi Kay
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Marker;1252334] I Aerosmith becoming too dated for this attraction? Now don't get me wrong, I'm a MAJOR Aerosmith fan, and love their tie in to the movie. But, let's face it, they are not typically at the top of the charts these days. QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying, but I think Aerosmith has stood the test of time, where a more modern rock band may be hot this year and dead two years from now....ya know?

I agree that Bon Jovi would be cool too, but they have also proved themselves, in that they are going to be hot forever!

MattJenRocky
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
No way do I think this ride should change! Aerosmith has a huge strong following and I think that they were a perfect choise for this ride! They are classics...much like Disney!
However, if Disney did do the unspeakable and replace them, they would have to do it with another group that also appeals to a wide range of people. Maybe U2 or Lynyrd Skynyrd. I just can't see millions of people standing in line to catch a ride that features a rock group, rap artist, pop artist, etc. that may be popular with only a percentage of people today. Besides popularity and preference...what about the language that a lot of the artists today use. Many people may not want to sit through all that. I give Disney a HUGE :thumbsup: for choosing a CLASSIC group!
Go DISNEY!!! & AEROSMITH! WHAT A TEAM!
:mickey: :cloud9:

alpro2
04-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Interesting thought, not knowing which band you would see in the pre-show. Maybe one of a half dozen. Maybe even diffent story lines and set ups. Hmmm, could be interesting. Then adjust the ride music to be the group that your pre-show saw. Not suggesting a change, just an interesting concept.
Kind of like the random drop sequence in ToT. Which band would you see in the pre-show? ;)

...If you do it that way you can include classic hits as well as current flashes in the pan and you can play Bon Jovi’s hit too. :laughing:
:rotfl:

MaizeNBrew
04-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Some people already had the same idea that I had. Have a random ordering of bands. Aerosmith would be in the mix. The only other bands I can think of that would be universal enough and also have some material to go along with the intensity of the ride would be U2. But I do think it would be kinda cool to have a chance at a different band sometimes when you ride. :thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
04-12-2007, 03:01 AM

The idea sounds good, but the execution would be difficult. How would the Cast Members effectively keep up with which group of guests saw which pre-show in order to load them into the corresponding limo? It may not be impossible, but it's hard to imagine how it would be accurate on a consistent basis.

#1TinkFan
04-12-2007, 04:22 AM
I can't imagine it not being Aerosmith. It jst wouldn'tbe the same!

jaredkari
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
If Aerosmith was ever removed from the ride I think Disney might just replace them with a generic fictional rock band. It would still be rockin' rollercoaster but with just some actors playing out the scene in studio before the ride. I could see Disney maybe just having some random Disney music stars' music playing during the ride. Then after the ride offer Disney music merchandise. I hope this never happens because the ride would lose its edge but I think it is a possibility.

BrerSchultzy
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
If Aerosmith was ever removed from the ride I think Disney might just replace them with a generic fictional rock band. It would still be rockin' rollercoaster but with just some actors playing out the scene in studio before the ride. I could see Disney maybe just having some random Disney music stars' music playing during the ride. Then after the ride offer Disney music merchandise. I hope this never happens because the ride would lose its edge but I think it is a possibility.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I spent the last 10 minutes, reading every single post, to make sure nobody had already expressed my views...and the very last one....oh well...

That's what I see happening. I think Aerosmith is perfect....honestly, in a decade or so, we'll be talking about the Beatles, Elvis, the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. Seriously. But if Disney were to replace them, it would be a "Rock N Roller Coaster: The Musical" kind of thing.

pink
04-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I get what you're trying to say, but I think the ride is fine the way it is. I think it was a great idea for a ride and it's one of my all time Disney favorites! I'm 17 and I still listen to Aerosmith all the time! :thumbsup:

:mickey:

cetacean01
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
The only other group as far reaching as Aero is U2. And they don't have a lot of rockin' tunes - good tunes but not really rockin' like Aero. Besides, if it was U2, we'd all be piling into a stretch Prius accellerating 0-60 in 2.8 months.

U2 would be an excellent choice!!! Set the ride to the song Vertigo and it fits perfect!

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers would be a good choice as well!:thumbsup:

PS: I still think Aerosmith is awsome, but if they decide to change it up I think the 2 I just mentioned would be good!

tinkerbelle75
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Bon Jovi? WHAT?:ack: Loved them way back when, but now,not so much.
U2? No,just not intense enough.Then you'd have to deal with their politics.....nah.
I can't think of anybody who would fit the bill like Aerosmith.Even if you're not a big fan,you still know the songs.(I'm a big fan:blush: )
The only other band I can see working as well would be the Cult.I would love blasting off to "Full Tilt" or "Wildflower",but given their name and the fact that they were not extremely commercial,people probably wouldn't get it.
I like it the way it is.

mrsHerbie53
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey, if one can dream, America kind of fell in love with Ozzy after their TV show..... I think "Crazy Train" could be a decent fit.

:funny:

My DS8 would like Ozzy, but can you see how long it would take to get through the video portion!!! SSHHHHAAAARRROOOOONNNN!

My young son loves Aerosmith and RRnC is his favorite Disney attraction!

pook@wdw
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
In my opinion, the only thing to update on RRC is maybe the entry video. Otherwise, You'd be hard pressed to find a band with the popularity w/young & old alike, and the staying power of Aerosmith!

Cinderelley
04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Although I love a lot of the bands that were mentioned, I think Guns 'N' Roses would be good.

Marker
04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Guns & Roses -- Music would be great, Image not so much. And they don't really exist anymore.

tomorrowschild
04-14-2007, 12:37 PM
24 and loooooooove them!

kakn7294
04-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I think it's not so much about who the band is as much as it was about finding a band who has both a timeless appeal and who's name is fairly well-known over multiple generations. I think they were also looking for a band who's music has a number of upbeat and non-offensive songs that a lot of people have heard. There are a lot of great bands out there who would have fit the bill for certain generations but my parents and my DD's don't know who Bon Jovi is, who Pearl Jam is, who Guns 'n Roses are, who most of the bands mentioned in previous posts are. My 60+ yo parents are die-hard country music fans but they know who Aerosmith is even though they don't listen to them. My 7 and 12 yo DD's who are into the bubble-gum pop of the Disney Channel also know who Aerosmith is and can appreciate their music. I listen to rock music but could not name one single song by Pearl Jam or Red Hot Chili Peppers because I just don't like those bands.

xoHelloKittyox
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm 19. I have been listening to Aerosmith since before I was born. (no really, my dad would put speakers up to my moms belly!)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that ride. My friend and I rode it 5 times in a row when we were there this past summer!

KEEP IT AS IS :cool:

dumbo ears
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
i think what they could do is maybe keep aerosmith but also add some of the greatest rock bands of the past 20-30 years. they could keep aerosmith in the cue area or they could update it to more bands. they could just call it the rockin rollercoaster but take off aerosmith and the songs that would be played during the ride could be changed each ride. that is my opinion

Jared
04-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Aerosmith should not be featured in the ride forever, but the band is still appropriate. By the time it is necessary to have a serious discussion about making a switch, the ride will be quite old.

Like some of the other posts have said, I doubt Disney would pay another group if Aerosmith loses its viabililty. Though a generic roller coaster would definitely take the edge off the attraction, the roller coaster is the primary part of the experience.

Unlike many Disney attractions, the theming seems to take a back seat.

PirateLover
04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Guns & Roses -- Music would be great, Image not so much. And they don't really exist anymore.

Not to get off topic, but "Guns 'N Roses" does still exist, just not the original lineup. I know this because I saw them perform a few months ago in Baltimore and it was the best show I've ever been to. But I agree they would not be a good fit for this ride, even though they are my favorite band.

Altair
04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Spinal Tap would be a great replacement. They are the only band ever with amps that would go all the way to 11.:rocker: :drummer: :rocker:

BMan62
04-14-2007, 09:11 PM
If it were to change, I would like it to be a Grammy Edition ride - changing yearly. You could preface it with the host(s) needing to get to the theater on time and use clips of the songs/albums/artists up for awards.

DisneyAddict62
04-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Gotta jump in and stick up for my boys! :rocker: :drummer: As a 40-something mother of 3, I still think this is the greatest rock band ever! Joe Perry just oozes coolness:cool: Remember, the ride is the Rock-N-Roller Coaster, not the Pop Rock Coaster, or the Alternative Rock Coaster, or the Country Rock Coaster, etc.

But, if the day should come that they be replaced, I'd have to vote for Kiss!

alpro2
04-15-2007, 07:13 AM
But, if the day should come that they be replaced, I'd have to vote for Kiss!
Kiss? Shouldn't the attraction be themed around musicians? ;) :D

caryrae
04-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I would love to here some Celin Deon while speeding down the rollercoaster track.:ack:

Bringonthemouse!
04-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I think Rockin' Roller Coaster "Rocks:D " just the way it is!! As many have said, Aerosmith is timeless and I don't think it's neccessary to be familiar with the band to enjoy the ride and their music.

Side note: I read somewhere (maybe the Unofficial Guide?) that the Stones were the first choice for the theme behind this ride but the $price$ was to high. I don't know how accurate this info. is, please correct me if I'm wrong.

dopeydude
04-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Lynard Skynard :thumbsup:

ghost999
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
The day they should change it is when everybody from Aerosmith dies, or when nobody remembers them

Mickey91
04-15-2007, 06:17 PM
NO WAY!! Aerosmith Rocks!!:number1:

WDWfeelslikehome
04-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I think that the edge that Aerosmith's Rock Music brings to the ride far excedes whatever pop melodies they could possibly try to incorporate from a band that will be forgotten in a few years, while Aerosmith's music and legacy are still going strong.:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I think that the edge that Aerosmith's Rock Music brings to the ride far excedes whatever pop melodies they could possibly try to incorporate from a band that will be forgotten in a few years, while Aerosmith's music and legacy are still going strong.:thumbsup:

Well said! :high5:

big blue and hairy
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Lynard Skynard :thumbsup:

All "y"'s :rocker:

Of course, if you use Skynyrd, you could have a backup track in case of a 'protein spill"....That Smell :funny: