PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Villas

crazykids
04-10-2007, 09:36 AM
We are seriously considering to buying into DVC at Animal Kingdom Villas & were wondering about annual dues. Does anyone think they are going to skyrocket due to the cost of the keeping up with the animals & the grounds? Seems to me that this resort would definitely need more maintenance than the other resorts.

pox24
04-10-2007, 09:55 AM
We have been in for awhile and saw two increases about 3% each time. We are glad we joined. Its the best thing we could have done. Our kids love it too with their kids.:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
04-10-2007, 10:47 AM
We are seriously considering to buying into DVC at Animal Kingdom Villas & were wondering about annual dues. Does anyone think they are going to skyrocket due to the cost of the keeping up with the animals & the grounds? Seems to me that this resort would definitely need more maintenance than the other resorts.

To answer your question more directly...yes...I believe that AKL annual dues will be the highest per point in the not too distance future...and upkeep of the animals will be the reason...

Disney has struggled with AKL...and animal kingdom in general to a certain extent...since the park's attendance declined after the first year.
When they built AKL...they thought it was sure sell and that it could support room rates on par with the grand floridian...it has not. they've had trouble filling it from day one....for several reasons.

1. I don't think the american public likes the theme....this is just a hunch...but since it is a much nicer location than Wilderness Lodge...and they have to beat people away from there...you do the math
2. It is perceived as "way out there". this is a completely stupid stance...as it is no farther away from the farthest point geographically than MK is from Downtown...but the perception remains.
3. The animals are so expensive that they kill any profits that might come out of AKL.....animals in captivity are extremely expensive...especially African animals that require extensive care and maintenance.
4. Animal Kingdom....while impressive and very expensive....is very much an incomplete park. They rushed it a little. It took 5 years to build...when they should have gone ahead and spent 2 more years and boosted the draws to the park. Even after almost 10 years of constant renovation and construction...there is much to be left desired. IF you visit somewhat frequently...you find yourself gravitating toward the exit after 4 or 5 hours...which also happens at MGM...but never seems to at MK and EPCOT.

The ironic thing ist that AKL is one of the best all around resorts at WDW...no question. the restaurants are two of the best...the pool area is second only to Y&B....and the resort itself is one of kind....much better than the contemp or polynesian...which everyone goes gah-gah for because there is a fiberglass and concrete castle in view....

Those are facts spiced up with alot of observations and opinions over the years...but the underlying logic is sound.

I think AKV points will be the highest in the near future...but I don't think they'll be so much more that it would discourage too many people...we'll have to wait and see....maybe someone who has purchased their can give you a better indication of the due costs....

ThanxForNoticin
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
To answer your question more directly...yes...I believe that AKL annual dues will be the highest per point in the not too distance future...and upkeep of the animals will be the reason...

I have to disagree with this concern. I'm quite certain the dues will go up - they tend to go up a small percentage every year or two at all the VC locations. But AKL is not strictly a VC property. Much of the property will be separate and will certainly help to pay for the upkeep of the animals. VC members will not have to pay for everything there. At the beginning, I believe the dues at AKLV are right in the middle of all the VC resorts. I find it unlikely that will change much in the next couple years - when the dues go up, they will all go up slightly, and they will go up at all resorts.

lockedoutlogic
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I have to disagree with this concern. I'm quite certain the dues will go up - they tend to go up a small percentage every year or two at all the VC locations. But AKL is not strictly a VC property. Much of the property will be separate and will certainly help to pay for the upkeep of the animals. VC members will not have to pay for everything there. At the beginning, I believe the dues at AKLV are right in the middle of all the VC resorts. I find it unlikely that will change much in the next couple years - when the dues go up, they will all go up slightly, and they will go up at all resorts.

I wasn't suggesting that they would be double the rates at boardwalk....just higher.
That may be 5 cents a point...but I believe they will be higher in the future.
The thing about an animal habitat is that the cost never goes away...so while dues are increased and used for rehabs and renovations....the presence of the animals will make the bottomline always lower at AKV than at OKW or SSR. Animals are an escalating, guaranteed cost that the other sites don't have to deal with.
But it's just a theory...time will be the judge...

richardsa98
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I strongly considered this resort as well, but settled on SSR becasue of the consistently lower maintenance fees. It seems that all of the beachy/boardwalk themed resorts are the higher of the DVC resorts fees. I mentioned this to my guide and he agreed that whenever you have real estate that requires more insurance or work to keep up, the price goes up. Therefore, we agreed it would make sense that the upkeep of not only the resort, but of the savanahas as well could lead to higher dues.
Therefore, we didn't want to pay the extra money. We figured we could visit any time we wanted:mickey:
Have Fun Buying

Donald A
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
You know, you make a good point. The upkeep of the animals should be passed onto the guests of the non-DVC part off the AKL as well. My hunch is that Disney will pass off as much as they can get away with to DVC members. I am a member at SSR and we enjoy the lowest dues but also have the largest DVC resort with exterior hallways and more than likely lower upkeep. The trade off with lower dues is not having the ability to get some of the more popular DVC resorts during the peak season.

richardsa98
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
:secret: But, we also have Downtown Disney, which i think is a huge perk! I also think that SSR is going to surprise everyone and turn out to be one of the best resorts on grounds

Donald A
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
:secret: But, we also have Downtown Disney, which i think is a huge perk! I also think that SSR is going to surprise everyone and turn out to be one of the best resorts on grounds

I hope I am surprised as I have a lot of money invested in SSR. Reason and logic says that if a resort this large does become popular Disney will invest a lot of money and effort in keeping everything up to par.

Natazu
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm gonna go see the model room on Thursday afternoon. I'll bring this up with the sales people and report back.