PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Questions

TinkRocks
04-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

Hoping y'all can help - I'm in the process of purchasing a new digital camera and have narrowed the decision to 2 cameras -

Canon S3 IS
Kodak Z612

Both cameras have similar features, but a couple of differences too - mainly the display (Canon has a swivel display, Kodak doesn't) and the use of batteries (rechargeable camera batteries can be used for Kodak, and Canon uses regular AA batteries).

Do any of you have any thoughts / suggestions on either of these cameras? Are there other cameras I should be looking at that compare to these 2 cameras?

Any help would be appreciated...

Blue Genie
04-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Doc I have the Kodak Z612 I like it alot. It takes good pictures and it also does good movie with sound. I use the movie part always on the Parade of Dreams. The sitting I use on it is Autio. Like some of the last pictures u have seen taken are from that camrea. My dad just got one to. (Cause he can't fine his old camrea. :shake: :rolleyes: )So I think that's a pretty good one.

chrisb26
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Hey Rocks

I have the Cannon S3 IS and I really like this camera. I used it for the first time last christmas when I went to WDW and it took great pictures. I really enjoy the quality of picture I get from it. During the day mostly all of the pictures are clear which I really like. During the night the pictures get a bit blurry if you don't use the flash however I think you would have that problem with any camera you choose. I had a tri-pod and took pictures of Illuminations and Wishes and got amazing picutres. Especially from Wishes a few of the pictures were timed just right and the firework behind the castle looked great one my favorite pictures. I also took it from Fantasmic and got great pictures as well. It has a great zooom also it allows me to zoom close up on things that I want a closer view of lol. I haven't used the video feature yet but I hear it takes good video. The only big downfall with the camera would be the fact that it does use 4 AA batteries. However you can take alot of pictures before it runs out. I don't think I had to change the batteries more then once a day in WDW however I did have to do it everyday. But as I believe I told you before I did take tons of pictures so it wasn't really a huge problem. I also thing you can use rechargeable AA batteries but im not 100% positive on that.

Overall I really like this camera and don't think you would be dissapointed with it :mickey:

kakn7294
04-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't have either of these particular cameras but I have both a Canon (A620) and a Kodak (DX7630 - now discontinued I think) and both take really good pictures. The Canon takes more batteries (4 AA) but can use rechargeables. My particular Kodak model has a dedicated rechargeable battery (meaning it can't be used in anything else and regular batteries don't fit) - that can be a pain unless you carry a spare, fully charged battery - you can't just run off and buy new batteries. If this is the case with the Kodak you are thinking about, take into consideration whether you want to purchase a second battery or constantly replace batteries in the Canon. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but I like being able to purchase new batteries almost anywhere.

TinkRocks
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I previously had a Kodak CX7530 digital camera that had a dedicated battery. I had purchased a second battery and battery charger so I always had a spare. The camera also took AA batteries, but went through them like there was no tomorrow.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not a camera expert, but from your description I think that the rechargeable batteries would be better than regular AA batteries. Imagine how many batteries you would have to pack when you go on a big trip. With rechargeable batteries you can charge it in a hotel room, and the wires are light and easy to pack.

JPL
04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I took a look at the specs for both cameras and the Cannon definately seems to be the better choice. Google both of them and the it just seems the Cannon has many better features than the Kodak. The 2 that really stand are the ISO settings and the Movies features look much better on the Cannon. I currently have a Kodak and I'm happy with it for the most part but many of the features are well just OK nothing really great. I would suggest buying 12 rechargeable AA baterries and going Cannon all the way. Just a note if you plan to use the video feature buy alot of extra memory cards which have become very reasonable when you catch a sale.

TinkRocks
04-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your input! I have looked at a lot of info on both cameras - consumer reports, company websites, and electronics stores 'compare' features. I've used the rechargeable AA batteries for other products in the past and found they don't last as long as advertised. However, I am leaning towards the Canon, but just wanting to hear from some camera experts out there...

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hoping y'all can help - I'm in the process of purchasing a new digital camera and have narrowed the decision to 2 cameras -

Canon S3 IS
Kodak Z612

Both cameras have similar features, but a couple of differences too - mainly the display (Canon has a swivel display, Kodak doesn't) and the use of batteries (rechargeable camera batteries can be used for Kodak, and Canon uses regular AA batteries).

Do any of you have any thoughts / suggestions on either of these cameras? Are there other cameras I should be looking at that compare to these 2 cameras?

Any help would be appreciated...

I have the Canon as you already know, and I keep telling you. lol I love this camera,
the swivel display comes in handy for those (above your head shots & other type of shots).

The AA batteries did get in my way and went through a pair each day at Disney, until dad let me use his rechargeable AA batteries. The rechargeable AA batteries come in very handy, I only had to change them every 3 full days at Disney! :D You can get the rechargeable pack at Sam's Club with the Charger, 8 AA and 4 AAA batteries, for $25 or $30 and you can buy extra rechargeable batteries too with out the changer i think for $20.

I also found on my Canon S3 IS you can change the lighting on the Flash when you take pictures, never known that until 2 weeks ago. :) there are still many things to find on this camera. lol But I love it! :cloud9:

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh and becareful of the Sports mode it takes pictures very fastly and thats how i ended up with 3000 picture of Disney World at Christmas time! :blush: LOL

wizardmickey
04-15-2007, 02:36 AM
I have a Kodak who-zee-whats-it camera (meaning it ain't in front of me right now so I can't give ya the model number!) Have had camera's in the past that used rechargeable batteries and did have a few problems;
1) The more I recharged them, the shorter period of time they would las between charges.
2) While rechraging them overnight one time, I heard this weird crackling sound from the other room, and got up only to find that the whole darn thing was melting & batteries were leaking!
My current camera uses a Lithium battery, which is a bit more expensive, but does well & lasts a while. I carry at least 1 spare when I travel & it seems to be enough. But, Canon also makes great comparable cameras, so my only warning would be to be wary of the rechargeble batteries.

TinkRocks
04-15-2007, 11:31 AM
That's my concern, Ice... Rechargeable battery life shortens, and, of course, melting batteries!! Our family's had that problem a couple of times before with rechargeable batteries and haven't used them since.

Here's another dilemma. Kodak will be releasing a new camera at the end of April - Kodak Z712 IS.

What to do, what to do...