PDA

View Full Version : DLR question(s)

WDWizard
04-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Hello all:mickey:
I am planning on going to DLR this summer (hopefully) and wanted to ask my fellow VMK'ers who visit often and/or have been ...
- If you have been to both WDW and DLR, how do they both compare? Will we be dissapointed with DLR?
- Where is the best place to stay off-site but within walking distance of the parks?
- Where do you do VMK quests/get VMK cards at Disneyland?
- What is there to do outside of the parks?
- How much days does it take to do it all?
- When is the best time to visit during the summer? (We want to go after Nemo subs open)

Chescat
04-10-2007, 02:36 AM
On the staying off-site, I'll defer to the others since I normally don't stay at the park.

One tip is don't go around 4th of July weekend. It is really a mess there because of the fireworks shows and all. And hotels disappear quickly so if that's when you want to go, better book soon. The submarines are due to open June 11th. That's going to be a mess for at least a few weeks if not the whole summer. Pirate Island opens when the movie does.

Maybe its just me, but friends usually like coming out for three days. One day to run around Disneyland, one day to run around DCA, and one day to pretty much hit parades and things you miss. With the crowds you want to hit it at opening.

VMK Quest are in front of Innoventions which is in Tomorrowland near space mountain. At DLR one of the completion packages was (not sure what status is now), you'd could get two fast passes for Space Mountain, Indy, Roger Rabbit, Buzz Lightyear or Autopia. Sometimes it varied.

Comparision of the parks. I'm going to send you to this thread. We have discussed that a lot recently:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=101082

Thinks to do out of the park. Depends on what you are into. If you want to stay at the park, I know some of the hotels have shuttle service to Universal Studios (but I think big difference is they are doing a lot of filming there a lot and its a huge place). That's probably pretty similiar to yours. There's Knotts Berry Farm with all those upside down right side up rides, that's a few miles from Disneyland and has a water park in there also. There's Magic Mountain that is pretty far North but the major thrill rides (get very hot out there also). Got Sea World, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park, and Legoland going south from Anaheim.

Hope this helps. :blush:

varcity
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Off Site: Anaheim Hilton is pretty nice. It serves it's purpose for sure. They also have a Starbucks in the lobby. When staying here, I think it is 2 blocks, then you have to walk past the parking lot and DCA. All in all about a 15 minute walk that is pretty easy. They also have a bus that is pretty well accomodating. On site, I really recommend the Grand Californian. Love it there!

In comparison, WDW is MUCH bigger. But DLR is so original. Our Magic kingdom is so much better than WDW as well, I think. DCA isn't quite spectacular, but it has about a days worth of stuff to do that is fun. You just can't compare WDW and DLR because, yes, WDW has 4 parks, 2 water parks, and 22 hotels, and DLR has 2 parks, 0 water parks, and 3 hotels. It's all originality. It's where Walt walked.

Cat took VMK quests.... Off site attractions: The only one I have ever been to is Knotts Berry farm, which, if you go there, get breakfast in the little restaurant there. It is very good! I don't really remember that park much Because I haven't been there in some time now. Other than that I have not been to another site other than DLR.

If you want to hustle and not fully enjoy everything, you can do DCA in half a day, and DLR in 2 days. I suggest adding an extra day or two because you can enjoy the pool at the hotel or relax downtown disney or something else.

Best time of summer: Is there such a thing? I haven't been in summer, but this year I am trying to go for my birthday, so I suggest August so we can do a VMK meet with cat, genie, Monkey and some others :mickey:

WDWizard
04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions:)
Us going over there all depends on the flights..a few weeks ago they were at $130 roundtrip and now they have gone up to the $200's so we're not sure yet.

Another question, we wanted to do a sit down meal at Disneyland and I noticed that there was a breakfast buffet with the characters at the Plaza Inn on Main Street, and also lunch and dinner at the Blue Bayou that everyone keeps on telling me is great. Which would you choose out of the two?

Chescat
04-11-2007, 02:46 AM
I would probably defer to Varcity on the Plaza Inn Character Breakfast (when I saw them last summer they went there, and I stood in the 2 hour line for pirates while they ate, then they met me. :blush: ).

I would defer to Genie about the Ariel's Grotto since he really likes that.

I like French Market a lot. Its a cafetaria style with a good menu, but then you sit outside and listen to the band. So its a combination of both and we like it.

I know I might get shot here. :hide: :hide2: . But what I would say about Blue Bayou is, it honestly is not worth the money for the meal. Yes its a cool experience. But last two times I went in there, it just wasn't worth the cost and the food was just too spicy for me. It was better when the lunch menu, was the lunch menu. Now the lunch menu in some cases is more expensive then the dinner menu. But what you can do, is what we did in October. Make a reservation for it and just do desert. That way you get out of there with a smaller bill and still get the experience (my cookie boat! or keylime pie). :mickey:

varcity
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Where's my gun....

Plaza Inn... Hmm, it's more of an experience than a great place to eat. Actually, I think they have really good omletts. But if you have kids, then go because all the characters are there and it's a fun atmosphere.

Blue Bayou, they changed their menu after the pirate remodel, and I was a bit disappointed. Dropped the clam chowder, changed some sides. However, I still think it is the most fun place to eat because you do feel like your on the water. (If you get a reservation there, when you check in, ask for the a seat by the water, it's worth the extra wait). I Haven't had anything too spicy for me, maybe cat's pallett has gone out of whack? :mickey: But definitely get ahold of a cookie boat!

Also, flights seem to change a lot if you look online. We just booked plane tickets to mexico and on 2 different days it was 120,000 miles (mile points) and the second was 60,000. Also, my friend tried to book the same flight later and they said it was full, then he called and got on. So try back once in a while and also call to get better deals.:mickey:

Chescat
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Sitting by the water is an experience in itself. You get taunted by some of the Pirate guests as they float by in the boats. Course knowing Varcity you guys probably taunted back. :blush:

varcity
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
It's the random boats who think singing "Yoho" and "99 bottles of beer on the wall" during my dinner is appropriate that get me! Haven't been taunted yet. :mickey: Of course, we know where the exit is ;)

Patricia
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Plaza is a great character breakfast, but if you've done a character breakfast go to Blue Bayou. You can't get that in WDW.
I love spicy food. :tasty:

There is no comparing the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. They are very different. Disneyland seems cozier and has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom.

Although WDW is more of a week long vacation spot, southern California can be as well. Universal Studios is different than Florida's and Magic Mountain is full of big and small coasters if you like thrills. There is no shortage of things to do. Knotts is enjoyed by most people and not far (walking distance) there is a Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum if you like that kind of thing. San Diego is beautiful and take in a Mission if your into some history. The San Diego Zoo is exceptional, I'd skip LA's zoo. LA has great museums, Guggenheim, La Brea Tar Pits, and of course you can see Frank Gehry's Disney Concert Hall. The beach in itself is a day excursion.. NewPort Beach is quiet.. if your looking for a strand and shops head to Redondo, Hermosa or Manhattan beaches. You can walk forever on the beaches. :)

Hmm.. now I want to go. :)

Chescat
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
It's the random boats who think singing "Yoho" and "99 bottles of beer on the wall" during my dinner is appropriate that get me! Haven't been taunted yet. :mickey: Of course, we know where the exit is ;)
Wait a minute wasn't that our boat last year. :beer: :pirate:

LittleDragonErin
04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
For places to stay that isn't a Disney hotel but within walking distance, I personally like the Red Roof Inn. I really enjoy their rooms and the way they are set up. Plus having a fridge and microwave is always cool for midnight snacking. ;)

Speaking of eating, nothing beats the Blue Bayou for dine in in the parks. Pizza Port and French Market are my other choices. I've never really eaten at DCA, so I don't have much of a clue there. In Downtown Disney, ESPN Zone and the Rainforest Cafe would be my choices. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah that character breakfast buffet rocks too ;)

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I usually stay at neighboring DLR hotels, like Hilton. (Or Hyatt? Keep forgetting.) The Convention center next to the hotel is right across the street to the entrance and parking lot to Disneyland. When I want to go to Downtown Disney, we just cross the street and take the tram.

The VMK Booth is right outside Innoventions. You can't miss it ;) Outside of parks, well you can go to Downtown Disney. I made a Build-a-Bear there. :P

To do all the rides, took me one day. Of course there are lines and stuff, but if you are very fast (Get those FastPass tickets!!!), even on the busiest days you can ride all the rides, and them some.

For restaurants, we always go to the French Market. You gotta try their clam chowder :cloud9: I wanted to go to the Blue Bayou, but it was so crowded and we couldn't book our reservation (if you're going there, book it right when you go to the park) because it was all booked.

Hope this helps, and have fun on your trip! :)

varcity
04-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Wait a minute wasn't that our boat last year. :beer: :pirate:

:bolt: That was so your fault.... :mickey:

Chescat
04-12-2007, 03:03 AM
I wanted to go to the Blue Bayou, but it was so crowded and we couldn't book our reservation (if you're going there, book it right when you go to the park) because it was all booked.

Hope this helps, and have fun on your trip! :)
Book Blue Bayou 30 days ahead if you go. If for some reason you change your mind, its easier to cancel the reservation.

I forgot about Build-A-Bear. One of my favorite places. For my birthday in 2005, made Chesdog. He was so cute. :cloud9:

terri.m
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
You just can't compare the parks. I absolutely was blown away by the size of WDW but DL has a feel you just don't get anywhere else.

As others have said, some rides are just better at DL. Maybe it was just me but TOT seemed so much scarier at California Adventure and California Screamin' is amazing!

For eating we love French Market as well. The atmosphere and music :cloud9: . New Orleans Square is so beautiful I could just sit there all day.:D

We stayed at the Carousel Inn one year but, aside from the short walk, I wasn't impressed. We've also stayed at the hotel by Howard Johnsons, I think it's a Marriott now. It was fine. Our favorite place is the Embassy by Knotts berry farm, you have to take a shuttle but they have a beautiful pool and courtyard, awesome free breakfast buffet and free happy hour every night:D :marg: . It's right beside Midevil Times and across the street from Starbucks!

There are many other things to do in So. Cal, we like to head over to the beach for the day, there are some awesome surf shops to check out!

Hope you have a wonderful trip, it's looking more like we could be going in September!!

WDWizard
04-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The most complicated part is the air fare but I just found some good deals on Spirit Airlines to LAX for $149 during the first week of August. I still need to find a decent hotel close to the parks for less than $100 a night though. A hotel within walking distance would be nice so we dont have to worry about parking but we are getting a rental car. And also another question-- is DCA a half or full day park?

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
DCA is another park, separate from DLR, so yes I think you can have full-day. The closest hotel is Jolly Roger; we park our car there because we don't want to pay for parking :P But I wouldn't recommend that because it's not a very good hotel, lol.

varcity
04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I can do DCA in 4 hours... For someone who hasn't seen it, maybe 6?

See.low
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Aaaarrr ye looking for a fun dinner that's close by?
Check it out matey!!!

http://www.piratesdinneradventure.com/california/index.html

It's similar to Medieval Times but pirate themed. This place is formerly known as Wild Bills which was western themed. It's a little costly but worth the experience. :)

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Book Blue Bayou 30 days ahead if you go. If for some reason you change your mind, its easier to cancel the reservation.

Okay Cat, thanks for the tip :)

I forgot about Build-A-Bear. One of my favorite places. For my birthday in 2005, made Chesdog. He was so cute. :cloud9:

I got a Beagle and I named him Maui. :P I still sleep with him at night. Hey, don't laugh at me!