PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa Beach

lovenmickey
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Any one ever been to Cocoa Beach? We are considering stayin in FLA a few extra days after our Disney trip in Dec and going to Kennedy Space Center to see the shuttle launch and want to stay on Cocoa Beach, I am looking at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront in Cocoa Beach...can you give me any info on this place??? Or any other recommendations?? Thanks so much!

goofiecrazy
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
We stayed there in 2000 when my 2nd cousin went up in the shuttle.She is a astronaut so we got passes to Kennedy space center to see the launching pad from a short distance.That was a good time. We spent 2 or 3 days there but there wasnt really much to do there.My dad said it was a big surfing town.I wouldnt pick it has a place to visit again.We ended up driving the hour or so up to AK for the day..

murphy1
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
My grandparents are over that way and I usually stay with them. I used to go over on business and if I couldn't stay with them I would stay in Palm Bay Holiday Inn or the Holiday Inn you mentioned. I highly recommend Ron Jon Surf Shop, it's very unique. I am from the West Coast, so am partial to the WC beaches, the Atlantic is not as much white sand.

ftwildernesskid
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
We went to Cocoa beach once. I won't go there again. No big horrible complaints. But the beach wasn't nearly as pretty as many other beaches in Florida. It seemed "dirty" with lots of debris and rocks... Our last visit we went to the Clearwater/Tampa area and LOVED it. It wasn't a bad drive either. We've also been to the Daytona area. Ormand Beach just 15 minutes or so north of Daytona is very nice IMHO. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

MNNHFLTX
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I lived in the Space Coast area in Florida for years and personally would not recommend Cocoa Beach. It has never seemed like a very clean beach to me either, and the "strip" (SR A1A) in that area is kind of seedy. I think New Smyrna Beach, south of Daytona, is a better choice. The beach is wider and prettier (and cleaner) and not as touristy as either Cocoa Beach or Daytona Beach. And you would still be within a decent driving distance from the Space Center (which is excellent, IMO).

Advnt05
04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
My wife and I go to Cocoa every year for one day when we go to Disney. It's not the nicest spot in FL but it is the closet to Disney. We like to lay on the beach and catch some sun. It serves us well for that purpose. I would not spend more than a day there as there is not much to do.

DisneyDog
04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree. We stayed in Cocoa when we watched a shuttle launch, and we left a day early. There was nothing to do (other than Ron Jon, which is REALLY cool), and the beach is full of chunky shells. You really can't walk on it, at least that's how it was when we were there.

If you are looking for a nice beach, head to the West coast of Florida.

bleukarma
04-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I live in Tampa and sometimes I'll make the drive over to Cocoa, just for something different. I agree with everyone else, there isnt much to do there except lay on the beach (which is why I go anyway) and visit Ron Jon Surf Shop. If you plan on seeing the shuttle launch then you should make your hotel reservations early because all hotels at Cocoa usually fill up because you can see the launch from the beach.

Cocoa beach is kind of dirty and the area a little seedy but it has its advantages over west coast beaches. The waves are much higher over there (which is why its a surfing beach) and you can see the sunset over the beach on the east coast.

Also, I find that you can get burnt REALLY easy over there. I have a base tan and hardly ever burn but I've had sun poisening twice after visiting Cocoa before. Buy high SPF and keep applying!! My brother and I laugh that it has something to do with the ozone layer over there becuase of the launches.

1EeyoreFan
04-28-2007, 09:09 PM
We stayed at the Holiday Inn you were talking about. We had a HORRIBLE experience. We were entering our room as the family that had called to complain about the room was leaving! They showed us the filth the room was left in. They were willing to put us in it before cleaning it! The family that was assigned it before us ended up leaving for another hotel.

They gave us a room in a nicer part of the hotel. It was cleaner but not quiet by any means. We ended up leaving the area and spent the remainder of our trip in Orlando.

I was not impressed with the area by any means. We drove through a very unsavory looking area to get to the strip. It just went down hill from there.

gueli
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I have relatives who live on the other side of the intercoastal & we have visited the coco beach area on day trips.
The only time I saw a shuttle launch was from up by Titusville. The shuttle launches are amazing, and untill you experience one there is no way to explain the power and awsome beauty of a launch.
Yes, NASA Kennedy space center is cool. Definatly plan on spending a few hours or a day there, but I would agree with others that there are nicer beaches up & down the florida East coast.
good luck in your choice.
:mickey:

poeticeclipse
05-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I lived in the Space Coast area in Florida for years and personally would not recommend Cocoa Beach. It has never seemed like a very clean beach to me either, and the "strip" (SR A1A) in that area is kind of seedy. I think New Smyrna Beach, south of Daytona, is a better choice. The beach is wider and prettier (and cleaner) and not as touristy as either Cocoa Beach or Daytona Beach. And you would still be within a decent driving distance from the Space Center (which is excellent, IMO).

Exactly my thinking! SR A1A is very strange. We were looking for clothing stores and walked into a store after seeing a cute pair of shoes in the window... we got very strange looks (I was in high school at the time) and couldn't figure out why people were staring. But then after we saw the thong shorts and see through bikini we knew we were most likely in a strippers paradise. Eeeek! Go for New Smyrna! What a great family place with a great beach!!!

avantgardeinker
05-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Cocoa Beach isn't much to write home about. We went there for a day during our honeymoon to Disney. Kennedy Space Center is expensive to tour. I don't think you really get what you pay for. However, if I had the opportunity to see a shuttle launch I would go in a heart beat. Just don't be too dissappointed when you see the beach. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Check out Ron Jon Surf Shop while you're there. I've never been, but DH has, and he was impressed with it.