PDA

View Full Version : The MGM that never was

PirateLover
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
In honor of my 3,000 post I decided to share with you some things I've been pondering lately.

I think many of us can agree that somewhere along the line something went wrong with Disney MGM Studios. There are still awesome attractions there but in many ways it is a shadow of its former self and what it could have been.

Recently I was watching some old Dateline Disney clips on YouTube. One in particular caught my attention. It was made I guess in 1989 and it was all about what would be coming for Disney in the next decade. It is really interesting. They talk about the opening of the Swan and Dolphin, Boardwalk, and "Port Orleans" and "Dixie Landings," all of which came to fruition... then there was the stuff that never happened.

For instance, can you imagine a World Showcase with the Soviet Union and Switzerland? (Including the Matterhorn bobsled ride!)

But the most interesting was all the stuff that was planned for MGM.
There was supposed to be a "Mickey's Movie Land", a "Roger Rabbit's Hollywood" including the CarToon Spin that is at DL and Dick Tracey's Crime Stoppers, and then of course the much talked about "Muppet Studios" with a Muppet Movie Ride. I started to tear up at this part because they actually showed Jim Henson describing what the Muppet Movie Ride would be about... The Muppets would be explaining how movies are made, but as usual they get everything wrong... he seemed so excited about it. In case you didn't know, Jim Henson died in 1990 and MuppetVision 3*D is the last time he did Kermit's voice...

So I have two questions for you...
1. What do you think of these old plans?
2. What could be done NOW to salvage this park. What rides would you put in? What would you take out?

magicman
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
(1) Create a "House of Villains Ride". The ride wouldn't be a thrill ride, but more of a "Haunted Mansion" type ride (good for most ages).

(2) Play up the Star Wars angle with a Star Wars ride. It could be the first interactive roller coaster where you travel at high speed and shoot at enemy Imperial Ships:trooper: (using Buzz Lightyear-type ride technology). The ride would culminate with each rider trying to fire their laser torpedo into the Death Star exhaust port. At the end of the ride, you would see how many of the enemy you hit & whether or not you destroyed the Death Star.

(3) Put in another good table service restaurant called "Dining With Heroes & Villains" where you can choose to have your server be either a hero or villain.

I'm sorry this is a long post; however, this is a very thought-provoking thread:thumbsup: . Thanks.

GreenBeetle
04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
(3) Put in another good table service restaurant called "Dining With Heroes & Villains" where you can choose to have your server be either a hero or villain.

Ooooh, I really like this idea. Nice one. :thumbsup:

cetacean01
04-06-2007, 02:40 PM
I love WDW, but they REALLY need to put a lil love into the studios! And I agree EPCOT needs a new country!!!!!!! MK needs some more animated rides! AK needs Beastly Kingdom!!!!!!! What are they waiting for? Universal is poised to make their HUGE comeback, Disney better wake it up and get back in the game!!!!!

January-2007
04-06-2007, 03:00 PM
The ideas you shared from the late 80s, early 90s sound cool, but really, I don't think there is anything wrong with MGM, we love it. When I was a kid there was a Dick Tracy stage show where Beauty and the Beast is now. They had some different stuff, but what they have now is cool too. Like the Tower of Terror. MGM is a full day park for us, and we enjoy it a lot.

JRock0114
04-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree with them needing to "use" and play up Star Wars a lot more than what they do. The fan base for this is HUGE and almost everyone knows the story and it stands the test of time. A New Star Wars ride would create a MASSIVE Buzz for MGM.

What kind of HUGE push is Universal planning. Have I missed the news on that? I did just hear that they just closed Back to the Future and will be adding a major new attraction soon.

lightyearfan
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
So I have two questions for you...
1. What do you think of these old plans?
2. What could be done NOW to salvage this park. What rides would you put in? What would you take out? [/FONT][/QUOTE]

first off congradulations on your 3000 post:thumbsup:
now to answer you questions:

1 plans are just that plans, not all plans come to life as in our own lives, but that doesn't make us bad
2 i wouldn't do nothing drastic to salvage this park! Me and DW are probably in the minority here, but we love this park! I would put back in the Huntchback Stage Show , which was awesome, dont know why they removed it? i do like the suggestion of a Disney Villians ride that would be great, but besides that maybe a few updates to Indy and Star Wars and by that i mean they should just be upgraded to the newer movies that they've done for these series. Mgm also has some of the best TS resturants, and some great classic rides such as the great movie ride the little mermaid show etc, i think that since they are more shows here, that maybe that's the issue with the haters of Mgm?
as far as the layout of the park no issues here if you dont know where your going then break out your maps, oh and did i mention the tower of terror and rocking rollercoaster two of the best thrill rides going in WDW and 1 if not the best nightime show in Fantasmic? Me and DW love this park and have no issues with it, maybe the fact that it's not what we would call Classic DIsney is the reason why this park gets beaten up like a rag doll. i can't speak for anybody else , but Mgm is TERRIFIC, we can't wait for Star Wars Weekend which electicfies the park even more.

IMHO
Victor

Ian
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Just like with all the other parks, I'd like to see a couple new dark rides put in.

First off, I'd do away with the Indy Stunt Show and replace it with the Indy attraction from DL.

Then I'd put in a dark ride based on The Incredibles. I think that's a film crying out for it's own attraction.

Replace Sounds Dangerous with something worthwhile, revitalize the old studio area, and MGM would be an excellent park. It's really only 2 or 3 great attractions away from being close to perfect.

LudwigVonDrake
04-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I love WDW, but they REALLY need to put a lil love into the studios! And I agree EPCOT needs a new country!!!!!!! MK needs some more animated rides! AK needs Beastly Kingdom!!!!!!! What are they waiting for? Universal is poised to make their HUGE comeback, Disney better wake it up and get back in the game!!!!!

Disney isn't in the game? :confused: Look at the attendance figures for last year and Disney parks top the list..where is Universal? MGM needs a little TLC and a couple of attractions that take the crowds AWAY from the Sunset Blvd. bottleneck.

Donald A
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree that the MGM studios could be much better. It seems like they have gotten away from the movie making aspect of it. I am against the PIXAR stuff, but I guess I'll eat my words and say that this is where you can spruce up MGM. Really all that I do there is the Great Movie Ride and Tower of Terror. Not a huge fan of RnR, but sometimes will ride it. Just think about all the soundstages that don't have anything going on except a line to meet a character. On the backlot tour the prop department doesn't even do anything for a movie anymore and costumes are made for characters in a parade.

I have an idea for an attraction. I saw a neat Norman Rockwell exhibit in town here where they took his work and brought it to life in 3D. With Disney animatronics I think they should make a ride or walk through attraction taking classic animated Disney movies (Lady and the Tramp, Snow White, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc.) and show a clip and bring that clip to life in animatronics. I know everyone is saying that is what the great movie ride does, but the great movie ride does not deal with animated movies. Animation is what made Disney what it is and should not be overlooked.

crmark1
04-06-2007, 04:30 PM
My family really likes the MGM Studios, my Dd and myself love TOT and RRC. I do remember when the backlot tour was much better. At onetime there were actual TV shows and movies being made at the studios, not to mention the animators. It was a real working movie studio. Sadly that is no longer the case. I agree that Star Wars needs to be played up more. And the interactive show on sound effects was much better than Sounds Dangerous.

big blue and hairy
04-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Just like with all the other parks, I'd like to see a couple new dark rides put in.

First off, I'd do away with the Indy Stunt Show and replace it with the Indy attraction from DL.

Then I'd put in a dark ride based on The Incredibles. I think that's a film crying out for it's own attraction.

Replace Sounds Dangerous with something worthwhile, revitalize the old studio area, and MGM would be an excellent park. It's really only 2 or 3 great attractions away from being close to perfect.

I agree with everything you said....I would add, bring the magic back to the Magic Of Disney Animation. I would highlight both traditional and computer animation. It could be even better than before...

:sulley:

EdwardBear
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
An attraction featuring the Incredibles would be awesome, I agree with that.

MinnieMommie
04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
:congrats: on your 3,000 post!

I think MGM is in a bit of a quandry about what to do with itself. I like what WDWacky suggests and hope it is indeed 2 or 3 attractions away from being perfect. Not sure though. It seems as if the central theme does not support itself or its relationship to Disney but maybe I just don't get it. The original plans sound great. A Mickey's movieland would tie it all back to Disney. I guess WDWackey is right...with a bit of tweaking MGM could all come together. :mickey:

slt21
04-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I think with the success of the movie, an Incredibles-themed ride would be great for MGM. I agree that Star Wars could be played up more; I believe that with the popularity of it a Star Wars-themed "land" would even do well, with several attractions.

Got plenty more ideas (most of them crazy), but I'm drooling on my keyboard....

JPL
04-07-2007, 01:15 AM
But the most interesting was all the stuff that was planned for MGM.
There was supposed to be a "Mickey's Movie Land", a "Roger Rabbit's Hollywood" including the CarToon Spin that is at DL and Dick Tracey's Crime Stoppers, and then of course the much talked about "Muppet Studios" with a Muppet Movie Ride. I started to tear up at this part because they actually showed Jim Henson describing what the Muppet Movie Ride would be about... The Muppets would be explaining how movies are made, but as usual they get everything wrong... he seemed so excited about it. In case you didn't know, Jim Henson died in 1990 and MuppetVision 3*D is the last time he did Kermit's voice...

These plans are easy to explain as to why they never went through actually one word could do it for 2 out of 3. That word you ask Eisner!!
Eisner Alienated both Spielberg and the Henson Family which lead to the demise of both of these attractions at the studios. Disney had a merchandising rights battle over Roger Rabbit with Amblin and Eisner low balled Spielberg thus leaving Roger Rabbit in Limbo. He did the same when trying to purchase the Muppets after Jim Henson died but this was much more complicated since apparently some sort of deal was in the works and then after his death the family wanted to renegotiate the deal. The final nail in the coffin for these plans was the lackluster performance of Dick Tracy this was planned to be a franchise series much like POTC is now.

WDW1985
04-07-2007, 02:04 AM
I do agree that MGM needs some sprucing up, new rides, and a little bit of pixie dust spread over it, BUT every time I go there it's always busy and people seem to love it. Is there a real problem or just a lack of fresh ideas? Maybe the problem is the park not living up to its potential?

One thought - There should never be an empty soundstage in this park and there are a multitude of ideas that could bring the magic of the movies to the park even without million dollar rides - Singing, acting, dancing, stunts, etc. The same kind of excitement that goes on in Fantasmic should be happening all over the park with Disney characters and characters from other well known movies. The focus should always be about bringing the magic of the movies to the park guests. Yes, they have done this to some extent (much more in the beginning), but not enough of late.

:mickey:

TiggerRPh
04-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Disney isn't in the game? :confused: Look at the attendance figures for last year and Disney parks top the list..where is Universal? MGM needs a little TLC and a couple of attractions that take the crowds AWAY from the Sunset Blvd. bottleneck.

I agree....Universal is no where near posed for a huge comeback. Even a decent year would barely put them on Disney's radar screen.

Something needs to be done with the Backlot area. The tour is a joke. The Great Movie Ride needs to be seriously updated and made a bit more current. Star Tours is in need of an update or it needs to be replaced. Something needs to be done with Sounds Dangerous and the old theater next door. While I still like Indy...something needs to replace it. I still don't care for LMA so it needs to go too...so what's left....ToT and RnRC....that's pretty pitiful.

I'm sorry Ian...the studios are more than a couple of rides away from being a good park. With the addition of Everest and the Nemo show, the Studios is becoming the forgotten 1/2 day park instead of Animal Kingdom.

When we were there in February, even with the crowds...we were done with what we wanted to see by mid-afternoon. The only thing that kept us around was Fantasmic.

baldburke
04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned here, but has been mentioned on other threads was that MGM was essentially thrown together as a response to Universal.

I agree that it could use some sprucing up. Ever since the animation studio shut down and Millionaire left there is not much of anything along that back row behind the Playhouse Disney Show.

And speaking of the Playhouse Disney show, it is tough for them to keep up as they continually change and add shows. Bear of Bear in the Big Blue House is still essentially the host and the underlying theme of the show yet he doesn't even get any official, regularly scheduled face time on the channel.

Another point that has been brought up on other threads was that MGM's name rights to the park are up in something like 2009. So perhaps at that time Disney might move to rename the park Pixar Studios to take advantage of its recent acquitistion. I'm not saying the Pixar characters have to take over the park, but they could be the unofficial hosts just like Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald are the unoffical hosts of MK.

Good post Piratelover!

Ian
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Something needs to be done with the Backlot area. The tour is a joke. The Great Movie Ride needs to be seriously updated and made a bit more current. Star Tours is in need of an update or it needs to be replaced. Something needs to be done with Sounds Dangerous and the old theater next door. While I still like Indy...something needs to replace it. I still don't care for LMA so it needs to go too...so what's left....ToT and RnRC....that's pretty pitiful.

I'm sorry Ian...the studios are more than a couple of rides away from being a good park. With the addition of Everest and the Nemo show, the Studios is becoming the forgotten 1/2 day park instead of Animal Kingdom.Actually, I agree Ray. I was trying to be charitable. ;)

I actually agree with your entire post except the last sentence I quoted ... I still would rather be chained to a post in the Studios for a week vs. spending an entire day in Animal Kingdom. :ack:

caryrae
04-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Lets bring back the Who wants to be a millionare show. I like that one. It was cool that everyone had a chance to get to the hot seat and win some cool prizes. Why did they close it anyway?

cetacean01
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
"I agree....Universal is no where near posed for a huge comeback. Even a decent year would barely put them on Disney's radar screen."

Not true....... Universal just announced a 120 million dollars worth of up grades to their parks. Lost Continent is being replaced with Harry Potter. Plus a whole new slew of attractions.

PirateLover
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Since I started the thread I guess it is time for me to check back in! First of all, don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the Studios quite a bit, but there are definitely some issues that need to be addressed. Here are my problems with it:

1. Sounds Dangerous. I don't think I have to say anything else about this one.

2. Sunset Blvd. Bottleneck. Two huge attractions right across from each other and then throw in Fantasmic at the end of the day and it can get pretty crazy. But I'm not sure how this could be fixed. Maybe by expanding more in that area? I'm not sure how much land is available there.

3. No more "Magic" in the Magic of Disney Animation Tour

4. The diminishing Backlot Tour

5. Too many shows, not enough time/s. No that was not a typo. I don't know whether it is bad planning on our part or just the fact that there needs to be more showtimes, but we spent a whole day at MGM and were not able to see Indiana Jones or Beauty and the Beast. Indy FastPasses "sold out" really quickly!!!!

6. Difficult to navigate. Yes there is always the map but I always find myself disoriented in this park for some reason.

7. Too much dead space. As mentioned before there should never be an empty soundstage here.

I love the idea for the House of Villains ride. I think that would fit perfectly and would be really difficult to get wrong. :malef:

I'm also in favor of getting rid of the Indy stunt show and putting in a ride. Perhaps something will be announced with the new movie finally underway

Then again, we all thought that way with Star Tours as well when the 3 prequels came out. On that note, I am also in favor of more Star Wars in the park.:darth: :ewok:

I wouldn't mind them working in Pixar more but I feel that it should've been done from the beginning. Now Pixar themed attractions are in every park, so nothing is special about them being added here.

I always say I want more Muppets as well but watching that clip made me realize how the Muppets haven't been the same in their latest incarnation. Many of the original voices are no longer working with them and longtime fans can definitely tell the difference. Without Henson's guidance and so far removed from his death and the original crew that worked with him, I'm not sure that a Muppet Movie Ride would be as good now as it would've been back then. But I like the stuff they are doing with the Muppet Mobile Labs over in DL as part of the Living Character Initiative and I think that this is a great way to utilize these characters. It was a bit weird meeting a Kermit the Frog who was twice my height!:kermit:

Well I feel like I've rambled enough for now, but keep the opinions and suggestions coming!

TiggerRPh
04-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Actually, I agree Ray. I was trying to be charitable. ;)

I actually agree with your entire post except the last sentence I quoted ... I still would rather be chained to a post in the Studios for a week vs. spending an entire day in Animal Kingdom. :ack:

I see a new I'cot Meet Event in the works.

:secret::secret:

But there are things to do at AK....go to the Studios is getting depressing. Sure you can fill a day but basically it's....ToT, RnRC, Great Movie Ride, and Muppets...you're done.

We went in February and had no problem getting all we wanted done by mid afternoon. For our December trip...I don't see spending more than a day there...we might even split it up to two half days. For AK...if you want to see both Nemo and FOTLK you could spend most of a day there.

MOJoe
04-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree that this park might have been better. It was, as noted, a response to Universal, and thus hurriedly planned. But the biggest problem in my opinion, is not what might have been; but what still could be - yet isn't.
To me MGM is a good park, but has the potential to be a great park. The big disappointment comes not from what is there, but from what isn't. MGM does't have to be a real working studio, but it needs to feel more like one. A few live action stunts along New York Street might help. Visitors getting caught up in live action scenes. That sort of thing would add some excitement.
Adding some dark rides to the other side of the park would help even out the lopsided feel to MGM. So the proposed Toy Story Mania seems like a step in the right direction, but not at the expense of closing the one attraction that made MGM so unique - Millionaire. Millionaire, to me, seems exactly the type of attraction MGM requires to set it apart and give it the "live studio feel" it so needs.
Someone else posted the thought that MGM should be the thrill ride capital of WDW. I disagree. To me, MGM should, and still can, be a place where unique audience involvement in the the production of film occurs. A place where the script is not always the same. A place where visitors feel they are in a movie - not passively watching one. Rides and shows are essential, but really, MGM needs to somehow bring film to life, and give the visitor a "one of a kind" experience. That would make it a great park.

battle beast
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
ANYTHING with the muppets would have been awesome, but it's way to bad about Jim henson.

Kristi Kay
04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
:mickey: I love these ideas! I love the Studios, but I agree that it could use some updating! The Roger Rabbit Ride would go PERFECT there and the idea of a Villians ride, I love that! I mean, they already have the villian store, they need a ride too! It would be total hit!

Kristi Kay
04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
And as far as Epoct, I would love love love to see some new countries! Switz. would be amazing, but I would also like to see maybe Costa Rica or somewhere tropical!