PDA

View Full Version : Rental car costs?

TikiGoddess
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

Just booked our flights for this summer. We are flying into Orlando. We'll be staying with my in-laws in Tampa for the first 4-5 days and then driving back to Orlando for time at WDW. We usually fly into Tampa and borrow a car from the in-laws but we can't do that this time.

I haven't started haunting the rental car websites and looking for discount codes. What type of rates has everyone been getting for rental cars these days? We'll be looking to rent a mid-size for 8 days.

TikiG

bouncer
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
On March 16-25 we rented a Dodge Durango in Tampa and returned it at Orlando. We had DH and myself listed as drivers with unlimited mileage and brought my own "box style booster seat". (If you need a car seat/booster they charge $10 a day. The inexpensive booster seats that my son is able to use now is $20 approx. Better value to drag on the plane as a checked item. I felt I could leave it at rental facility if I didn't want to take on plane home if need be. It really was no problem to check it.) Anyway, we used PAYLESS RENT A CAR and were really happy. Originally had reserved a smaller vehicle but wanted to rent something closer to what we drive normally. They charged a total of $559.98 for the week plus 2 days including all fees (man are there fees!) You can save quite a bit by listing only one driver. In our case it would have been $65 less to have one driver not 2. Their rental facility is not onsite but we didn't have a problem with that. Their shuttle came very quickly and was neat & clean. Cars were brand new and clean. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. Good Luck! :plane: :car: :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I just did some pricing on National's web-site last night, and an intermediate for 10 days was running around $350-$400 including all fees/taxes. This was for October though.

Many of the discount codes that are available right now only go through the end of May or June, so I expect to find a better deal in a couple of months.

FatCat
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
There are many discount codes and rates to use for National
(Which I like the best)

One big trick I have used is for the airport code to enter

MCOT01 the 01 is zero|one

vs MCO

It appears to always give me a lower base rate.

I generally have combined the

MCOT01 location code
AAA savings Group
Coupon code from site ($30- $40) off and have gotten great rates.