PDA

View Full Version : splitting stay between 2 resorts

chip2
04-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I have been considering splitting a 9 day stay between 2 resorts. From what I've been reading, it isn't uncommon. Could someone enlighten me as to how it is done logistically. Do you lose a day of fun in the move and is it really worth it?. It may be I'm just having trouble deciding between AKL and WL. - Also I'm curious about concierge. It seems like a lavish treat, but besides the lovely food offerings what are the real perks? Thanks for all the expert advice. I love hearing everyone's replies!

FiggyFan
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
We did this on our last trip. When the time comes to switch resorts, you check out, turn in your luggage, and they transport it to the new resort. It did take a while to get the luggage moved - they collect the luggage and move it in bulk, and told us to expect delivery between 1:00 and 4:00 (our bags arrived at 3:30). They did require us to be in the room to accept delivery of our luggage, which I did not expect.

I would suggest you carry a backpack with a few essentials (swimsuits, perhaps) so that you can enjoy your new resort before your luggage arrives.

Maleficent's Dad
04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
We've changed resorts a few times. It's pretty painless in our experiences.

What we've done is (1) check out of the first resort and head to a park. Then we (2) would go to the new resort to check in. That's pretty much it.

We've just given our bags to Bell Services and told them where we were switching to. We definitely have never had to be in our room when our bags arrived... I hope this isn't some new policy. Normally, the bags arrive and are stowed with the new resort's bell services. They call your room to let you know bags are there. If you're not in your room, you just call down to them and they bring the bags up.

It's a pretty painless process. Essentially, you leave one resort for the day, and when you return, you just go to your new resort! :mickey:

thejens
04-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I've not done it yet, but plan to stay at the ASMovies on my first night (mostly to save money and also to check out a value resort.) The next day we go to Beach Club. The main disadvantage besides some lost time is that your park tickets and dining plan have to start over with the new hotel, therefore you pay a lot more for park tickets. We are only doing the value resort for day 1 since we arrive too late to go to parks anyway.

goon29
04-05-2007, 10:13 PM
You can't just buy a park hopper for the duration of your trip? We are planning to switch resorts later this year and I wasn't aware of that. Maybe you would have to keep your park tickets separate from your room key, but I'd think you could buy a hopper for as long as you want when first checking in.

Jasper
04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
The move is not a big deal. I also have not heard of having to be in the room when the bags are delivered to the resort. However, you don't get them delivered to your room until you are there and can call the bell hop to have them delivered.

As for tickets, length of stay passes only apply to one hotel at a time so if you are only at the All Star for one day you will have passes for the day you arrive and the next day. What you should probably do is what some of the other posters have alluded to and check the price involved in getting your ticket seperate from your room. We have never gotten tickets tied to the room because we always have purchased the ones that never expire, buy for more days than we are going to be there and use the extra days as a hedge against ticket inflation. However with the changes in the ticket structure in the last couple of years we are trying to decide if we will go that way again or not.

Beast_fanatic
04-05-2007, 10:32 PM
We definitely have never had to be in our room when our bags arrived... I hope this isn't some new policy. Normally, the bags arrive and are stowed with the new resort's bell services. They call your room to let you know bags are there. If you're not in your room, you just call down to them and they bring the bags up.

Then doesn't that mean you're in your room when they come?

That was the way it worked with us too. I think the other poster just meant that they didn't deliver the bags straight to the room (like Magical Express). You had to call them when you were in the room to get them delivered.

The main disadvantage besides some lost time is that your park tickets and dining plan have to start over with the new hotel, therefore you pay a lot more for park tickets.

If you're doing the dining plan, then you have to have at least a one day ticket for each package (so for each resort). You can book a ticket for long enough for the entire trip at the first resort, but you'll still have to book a ticket for at least one day for the second resort.

You can't just buy a park hopper for the duration of your trip? We are planning to switch resorts later this year and I wasn't aware of that. Maybe you would have to keep your park tickets separate from your room key, but I'd think you could buy a hopper for as long as you want when first checking in.

If you aren't doing the dining plan, then you don't have to book the second resort as a package so you don't have to book it with a ticket. But if you are, see the bit above.

Crow
04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
the only reason im not splitting my stay in May is because of the dining plan...my first time tryin the plan. and i was a little upset that i cant split this time (check my signature for my previous splits)
i wish they would allow you to split and use the plan wo gettin another ticket.
its easy as said above, just have bell services transfer it for you and go off to the park. ill miss the switch