PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused about this..

DisneyMomx2
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Our group going down in May totals 8. For the ADR's I made, I was told gratuities would be included since it was a party of 8. Thing is, one of us (my neice) is only 2 and will not be ordering meals. I asked a CM on the phone about this and they didn't know.

Would you think we ARE considered a party of 8? Not really a huge deal since we always tip well for the good service we get. Just curious.

bicker
04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
In the end, it will depend on the server and manager on duty. Technically, they can apply their automatic gratuity policy as they wish, including when one of the diners isn't dining (whether through choice or because the diner is under-aged). You'll need to ask them when you arrive and negotiate what you'd like at that time.

thrillme
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
My old understanding was gratuities were included for parties of 6 or more. So 7 or 8 dining isn't going to make a difference. Besides if the 2 year old is in attendance they're still likely to be needing "something" juice, crackers, high chair etc. Gratuity should be only accredited to the total amount of food and beverage ordered.

JikoMarie
04-06-2007, 04:54 AM
The two year old won't be eating at all? For the whole trip? Or is this just one meal?

You'd likely be tipping 15% any way right? So either way, it doesn't really matter.

DisneyMomx2
04-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Of course the 2 year old would be eating. I am simply saying that she won't be ordering meals, just sharing with her parents or cousins most likely.

And, as I said in my original post, we normally tip just fine anyway, it just raised the question to me as to what they base the included gratuity on, people eating or # of seats. They told us it was parties of 8 or more.

Jasper
04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I am not sure of whether the cut off is 6 or 8, but assuming it is 8, I would have to agree with the poster that the issue of whether you are a party of 7 or 8 because of the young one will be decided by the server or manager at each place.

Natazu
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
The auto-gratuity policy doesn't make allowances for kids. Feel free to discuss it with a manager, though. Truth is, children are a greater liability than adults. If a server is going to have to work harder at a table, it will more likely be a table with children. Kids spill stuff, drop food, and generally are more trouble for servers than adults. When I say more trouble, what I mean is nothing more invasive than more trips to the kitchen and server prep areas, but still more work nonetheless.

MsMin
04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I agree w/ Natazu. I've seen more babies make a mess than older ones. My brother's kids would throw more food on the floor than they ate (they were entertained by that:blush: ) I'm sure the servers would hate to see them coming. I wouldn't blame the server for wanting to count any child after an experience like that. Not saying your family would make a mess, just they have probably had bad experiences with some toddlers. I would be prepared.

Tigerlilly
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I think its is a Societal flaw again.

My daughter is 2, she will be eating off our plates, I would HOPE the resturant would give her her own drink, honestly that had not occured to me yet. . . oops (Do they bring drinks to toddlers?)
But if my daughter, sitting in her highchair were to spill something or make a mess, I would think it was MY responsibility to clean it up, not just wait for some overworked underpaid waiter to have to clean up after her. Good grief.

bicker
04-07-2007, 08:08 AM
But if my daughter, sitting in her highchair were to spill something or make a mess, I would think it was MY responsibility to clean it up, not just wait for some overworked underpaid waiter to have to clean up after her. Good grief.I think you might be surprised to learn how unique you are. Regardless, despite your good intentions, generally, the messes that young ones make cannot be effectively cleaned up by guests. They require brooms or vacuums, and often mops and pails. There is no way around it: A child eating "uses up" the services of CMs, servers and cleaners, as much as, and often in excess of, that of adult diners.

LibertyTreeGal
04-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Tigerlilly, I agree with you totally!

On our trip to DL last month, my 6 year old was goofing around and knocked his FULL cup of milk onto the table (of course, he wouldn't have done it if it were almost empty). I rushed to the back of the restaurant, requested a damp towel and CLEANED UP THE MESS MYSELF. When our server came out a minute later, I apologised profusely, and felt awful when they helped me out with the last bits. I know it is their job, but mine is to make sure my kids don't make a mess. I would be mortified if my kids made a mess on purpose and I would clean up every bit of it. Especially milk, it leaves a sticky residue.

So, as far as a tip goes, I would definitely include a toddler.

JikoMarie
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
(Do they bring drinks to toddlers?)

Of course they would if you ordered one and paid for it. Why wouldn't they?