PDA

View Full Version : Do I choose a handicapped acces room or a reg room??

lilmattie13
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone,
We are going to DW in Sept. There are 5 of us three adults and two kids 4 & 2.
We will be staying in one of the AS resorts not sure which one yet. But I was wondering is whether or not to request the handicapped room or not.
My Mom is going with us and we have her in a wheelchair because she cannot walk any long distances. We bring our own wheelchair.
We can stay in the regular rooms but was wondering if it would be better to stay in a handicapped room to be easier to move around in.
Has anyone stayed in a handicapped room? We never have.
Any information would be great.
We were leaning towards the ASM but since I have been reading up I think we may go with the Pop instead. Thanks for any info. You guys are all great.:number1:

BelleBeauty
04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I believe the handicap rooms all have 1 king bed in them. I'm not sure if this is correct, but it might not give you enough beds. I'm assuming you were going to get 2 rooms, since you have 5 people. The value rooms are on the small size, and you can't usually fit a pack and play crib in their comfortably. If your mom is in a wheelchair, it will def make things tight if you are in one room, regardless of whether it is a handicap room or not.

An alternative, if she can walk short distances, would be to just get 2 adjoining regular rooms, and requesting a 1st floor room for medical reasons, and possibly a room close to the buses. There are elevator, but detailing your mom's needs and asking for an easy-access room might help.

eeyoremom
04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
We were given a handicapped room at POP this past January. I had requested first floor, because I cannot do stairs, bud not a handicapped room. We were connecting with my son's family. The room did have 2 beds. The only real difference is in the bathroom. There were special rails around the toilet and tub had more rails also. Our tub had a hand held shower and I don't think that they did. The room itself was exactly the same. If you think the extra rails would be helpful, you can request handicapped. I did like the room, very much. POP rooms are not very big,(but the same as All Stars) so getting around in a wheelchair could be a problem. Are you planning on all of you in one room? Changing to a moderate could be a lot better. The rooms are larger and easier to get around. We enjoy the moderates much more. Have a great time.

Donald A
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
A couple trips ago we had a handicapped room at the Wilderness Lodge. I did not request it and fortunately did not need it, but it must have been what they had available for us. I recall there not being a bathtub but a shower that could handle a wheelchair. It would definitely be something worth requesting assuming the bed-size and capacity issues are addressed.

TiggerRPh
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
By all means request it now and put it as a medical necessity. AS resorts I don't believe have elevators for the non-first floor rooms, you unless she can walk up stairs you're going to have a problem.

Now is the time to make the request...even though they can't promise you that you'll get it, when you check in is not the time to ask since the rooms have already been alloted.

magicofdisney
04-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Actually, all the value resorts have elevators, so that will be a non issue.

I got a connecting room once with my mom and sister. I had my kids with me. Our rooms was handicap accessible. It had a king bed which made for more floor space. The bathroom did not have a tub, but a wheelchair accessible shower. It ended up working fine for us. This was at an All Star Resort. HTH :mickey:

lilmattie13
04-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks so much for all the great input.
I think we will ask for a room on the first floor. I am a little hesitant to do the handicapped room now after reading because we will really need the two double beds.
So I think if we just request the first floor she will be fine.
I am definitely going to request it now though and not at check in.
Have a great night everyone...:mickey:

MsMin
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Your mom sounds a lot like my dad. He can't walk very far but doesn't use a w/c in the room. We stayed one night at the ASmovies last Dec before meeting the rest of our party. He was very uncomfortable there. It was very difficult for him to move around in the bathroom b/c they are pretty tight. He said a bar would have been helpful. He couldn't lift his leg over the tub wall b/c he is used to a shower. I know for him I would get a H/C room if I did that again. Many times there is more privacy in a regular bathroom. I've seen some handicapped rooms with no bathroom door:blush: That's why I thought we could do with a regular room. Does your mom have a lot of trouble going from a sitting position to a stand? Can she step into a tub? My dad lost some motor ability from a stroke, his balance and gait is very bad.
They offered me one when I called and I told them we didn't need it. We were a party of 3 so why would they put 3 ppl in one bed???
Call and ask them to make sure b/c I think it could be easier esp if it comes with 2 dbl beds.

eeyoremom
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
The handicapped room we had at POP in January definitely had 2 double beds. We did have a regular tub, but with extra rails and rails that came down from hinges next to the toilet. Room size was no different than any other POP room.

lilmattie13
04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Ok so we now have changed and are staying at the CS instead.

So now the question is revisited should I request a handicapped room or not???

Any input?

thanks