PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania - Is is really needed?

DisneyJunkie
04-05-2007, 06:38 AM
The announcement of another Buzz Lightyear-esque attraction coming in, albeit in Disney-MGM Studios this time, got me thinking: Why do we need another Toy Story-based attraction? Don't get me wrong, I love Toy Story, and I love the fact that it's a new ride going in instead of a show or something, but why Toy Story AGAIN? They have nothing, to my knowledge, based on Hercules or Tarzan (not anymore anyway) or a few others. I do like the fact that this will help pull people slightly away from constantly hanging out near the ToT/RnRC area, since another popular ride on the other side of the park is long overdue.

TIdoubleGR
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I do like the fact that this will help pull people slightly away from constantly hanging out near the ToT/RnRC area, since another popular ride on the other side of the park is long overdue.

Exactly. MGM has needed a new, big attraction for a long time. If they choose it to be Toy Story, so be it...yeah, there is a lot of Pixar in the parks. Personally, I don't have a problem with it; I see it as a new generation of sorts. Regardless of what the ride is centered around, I'm just glad MGM is getting something new.

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
MGM is a 1/2 day park at best. It's in desperate need of something new. Outside of Fantasmic! we don't even bother with MGM anymore.

I don't think Lights Motor Action really had the impact they needed it to, and it's got bery limited show times, so not much in terms of crowd control if you ask me.

Spaceship Tigger
04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
The only rationalization that I can see for another Toy Story attraction is that the Buzz Lightyear ride is only based on that one character, not any of the others from the movies. And the rides are at least in some ways similar to each other. I wonder why they didn't try to make this new attraction based on the Incredibles - there's not much in the parks yet from that movie which is now several years old.

cetacean01
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
This attraction will open just before Toy Story 3 comes out. SO I think they are getting a jump on it. The studios needs to be the thrill ride capital of Disney. I think the Pixarization is great. It adds a lot to the atmosphere. We need an Incredibles themed attraction, maybe the monsters inc. door coaster. Or a Star Wars speeder bike coaster. They have so much and are doing so little with it! TOT and RNRC are great and all, but we need something BIG. They have alot of land there!!!!!!!!

scootch713
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
ditto.... they are working on toy story 3. It also helps that it is a huge hit for the boys and disney is so princess oriented for the girls.

LudwigVonDrake
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM
MGM needed to add something new...something that will 'swallow' up guests. Since Disney's track record in creating lately is poor and Toy Story is hugely popular...people will "respond" to it's characters. I can't wait for it to open :mickey:

Plus if the rumors are correct, the park will be renamed The Disney/Pixar Studios in 2008 :mickey:

Ian
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I see your point, but I'm just happy they're adding something to what was rapidly becoming another 1/2 day park.

Honestly, it was starting to get annoying paying for admission to the Studios and Animal Kingdom when I hardly spent any time there. At least this will give me a reason to visit again.

Septbride2002
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I think Toy Story is a great movie to expand upon because boys can appreciate it.

~Amanda

Belle619
04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree that Disney/MGM is in need of more rides and I love Toy Story, but I'm confused by why they would make another ride that is so seemingly similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride. Yes, they are in different parks, but they are basically the same concept.

JPL
04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I definately agree that we really don't need another Toy Story attraction just like we didn't need 2 Nemo based attractions. But of the all the parks th eone that needs the most help is the Studios. This park has very little identity and quite frankly if it wasn't for ToT and RNRC attendance would be the lowest of all 4. So to answer the question they need all the help they can get.

Jasper
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I too agree that the addition of another good attraction on the opposite side of the park from RnRc and ToT is needed. I also agree that they should look to do a theme other than Toy Story.

What hasn't been mentioned that really makes me concerned is that this is not a new pattern for Disney and was promised to end after the shakeup with Eisner, Pressler and others leaving the company. If you remember, it was about 10 years or so ago that you saw the Lion King just EVERYWHERE at Disney World. I hope this is not another effort on Disney's part to do things on the cheap again!

poeticeclipse
04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree that Disney/MGM is in need of more rides and I love Toy Story, but I'm confused by why they would make another ride that is seemingly so similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride. Yes, they are in different parks, but they are basically the same concept.

I totally agree. It's not the fact that it's a Toy Story themed attraction, it's the fact that it's almost identical to Buzz Lightyear. I have the same issue with Monsters Inc. and Turtle Talk. Why make virtually the same attraction just with a different characters and a different "theme?" I love Monsters Inc... probably one of my fav Disney movies, but I just don't understand the copy-cat attraction.

Kristi Kay
04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree, MGM needs another major attraction and a Pixar Film is the way to go, but I think The Increatibles or a Meet the Robinsons ride would be cool, maybe have a cool ride like Spiderman, at Universail...has anyone ever rode that? It's a fantastic ride!

Goofy Pluto
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I wonder why they didn't try to make this new attraction based on the Incredibles - there's not much in the parks yet from that movie which is now several years old.

Now THERE'S an idea! I loved that movie. I hope they do a sequel at some point.

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
... maybe have a cool ride like Spiderman, at Universail...has anyone ever rode that? It's a fantastic ride!
While early descriptions make it sound like it's a Buzz clone, recently info has "leaked" that indicate that it's probably going to be more like a Spiderman killer than a Buzz clone. I'm somewhat excited, but leaning towards cautiously optomistic.

Let's hope there was still some imagination sitting on the shelves over at Imagineering, or whoever they contracted with for this new attraction.

thejens
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM
I love Toy Story and agree it's nice to appeal to young boys (since I have 2 that hate princesses!) but I am really bored by the Buzz "ride." I really don't want to play video games and it does seem redundant. I am hoping it is really not the same. It would be nice if it could be lively like BTM, have the fun of Peter Pan, keep the charm of the Toy Story Movies (which Buzz does not) but not be too scary for the young ones.

battle beast
04-06-2007, 12:02 AM
It'll be interesting to see... I think a Stitch *ride* would be great.

***Yes, I know of the stitch *attraction* in Tomorrowland!***

joelkfla
04-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe they have other plans for the Buzz Lightyear building.

Anyway, don't judge it until its opened. We don't even have all the info on the technology yet.

allie_to_you
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I can't wait for the new Toy Story ride to come out. I think it will be a lot of fun and a nice change for the MGM park. We enjoy that park, but it definitely needs some new stuff!

rsumrall
04-08-2007, 02:31 AM
I think that the imagineers are taking a shot at one-upping Spiderman at Universal. Mark my words, this ride will be HUGE and the shot in the arm that Disney-Pixar Studios needs.

WDWizard
04-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Well a Disney site I read says this ride is supposed to help in the transition from Disney MGM Studios to Disney PIXAR Studios along with the Block Party Bash parade coming in from DCA, and should be officially announced later this year.

I am confused why they are adding a ride themed after midway games (which looks great in DCA's Paradise Pier) to the Studios other than the fact that it has Toy Story characters in it. :confused:I liked the studios back when it felt like an actual movie and television studio, but it is far from that today.

Marker
04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
From what I have read, I think Toy Story Mania sounds pretty cool. But it sure is generating a lot of discussion, and a lot of criticism for something that at this point is mostly speculation, rumor, and rough details.

A lot of folks are bothered about it being ANOTHER Toy Story based attraction. But, excuse if I'm wrong, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, is not really Toy Story themed. Yes, Buzz was a character in Toy Story, but he was also a character in Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. I don't see any other reference to Toy Story in the Buzz Lightyear attraction. To me, it's totally themed to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, so the new Toy Story Mania is not ANOTHER Toy Story attraction.

I've never understood why we seem so intent that everything they do will be bad. I think I'll wait to make judgements when I can actually experience the real thing. In the meantime, I'll anxiously wait for the next new cool attraction.

rsumrall
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I've never understood why we seem so intent that everything they do will be bad. I think I'll wait to make judgements when I can actually experience the real thing. In the meantime, I'll anxiously wait for the next new cool attraction.

What a refreshing perspective. Too often we critique the imagineers and their work before it is even unvelied for the public. Initially, everyone was slamming the new Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. Now that it is open for the public, folks are saying that it is a good show with a high repeatability factor. I wish we would all be a touch less critical.

AuntLaura
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I hope it's good. I really miss Millionaire.

Christine
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Initially, everyone was slamming the new Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. Now that it is open for the public, folks are saying that it is a good show with a high repeatability factor.

Who said that? I know it wasn't me!

I am looking forward to Toy Story Mania. I look forward to any new attractions/shows. Now how I feel AFTERWARDS, I can't guarantee! :) But not even Disney can please everyone all the time!

I do miss Millionaire, but I look forward to a non-thrill ride in MGM!!!

LoriMistress
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
When will the Toy Story Mania release date? I thought I heard by the end of this year, but not so sure now.

WEDTOPIA
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Disney really hasn't utilized the Toy Story characters like they could have. As someone said ,Buzz is strictly a space theme with no other characters from the movie involved.

This ride will be different from Buzz in one very crucial way. It's going to be CGI , like the beloved Spiderman ride at Universal. This means that the characters will be in 3D , with interaction. The ammo that you shoot won't be in the form of a laser ,but rather , 3D projections ,aimed at your targets.

My belief is ,that Disney will do everything in their power to get this right , in order that they don't have to deal with negative comparisons to Spiderman. Granted , TSM won't be as thrilling as Spidey , per se. But ,if Disney can get the technical aspect down ,it won't have to be.

:mickey:

PirateStitch
04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see... I think a Stitch *ride* would be great.

***Yes, I know of the stitch *attraction* in Tomorrowland!***

Ha ! I so agree. They should do a story book like ride with Stitch, Lilo, and the rest of the family including Stitch's Cousins. But, then I'd hope they'd take out the Stitch ride in tomorrowland... But, I've been complaining about this mirror effect recently with Disney Parks. Were seeing a lot of the same things. Three Nemo themed attractions (Turtle Talk with Crush, Nemo Ride, and Nemo Musical) Not to mention Monsters Inc which is similar to Turtle Talk...But its different still so I'm not going to complain there. Seems to me that Disney has forgotten about their other movies. Tarzan, Hercules, Emperors New Groove, Incredibles,what about a Lion King Ride, Beauty and the Beast, i think a Kingdom Hearts ride would be neat with the collection of Disney Characters. Theres a abundance of choices here.....Why is everything similar these days. I mean I'll never stop loving the Parks. I go every month. I'm a HUGE HUGE Stitch Fan!

tron80
04-12-2007, 01:00 AM
The whole "Disney-Pixar Studios" rumor doesn't make sense to me for hundreds of reasons. And I hope it does stay as a rumor.
The Toy Story ride should be interesting.... and as long as it draws people from Sunset Blvd! Yes MGM needs something new.

I also would like something with Lilo & Stitch,though. Besides the see-it-once Stitch's Great Escape.

On another note: I've been SPOILED by looking at Hong Kong's Autopia. Holy mackarel.

4ubie1
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I suppose i am one of those who is just glad that they are bring something else into MGM. That theme park has been greatly lacking lately. As people have mentioned, it is about a 1/2 day park at best so anything new is a great and much needed addition. Do i mind that it is Toy Story? Not really...although they have plenty of other movies to pick from. I just don't see Toy Story being that exciting. :shrug: Oh well.. I will wait and see how it turns out. Here's hoping! :D

Nick Mc
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Personally the way i feel about, yet another Buzz ride, I'm not all for it! What they really need is a Woody themed ride or Woody's Roundup of just Toy Story in general. The Buzz ride in Tomorrowland is perfectly placed, but in the Studios a general Toy Story ride would make more sence to me I guess. They could actaully theme it to Toy Story 2, and have the ride's theme make it like you are going to save Woody from Al's Toy Barn, I think that would be cute!