PDA

View Full Version : The Lakes of Walt Disney World

Red Randal
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
So, I happened to be perusing the various Disney World entries on Wikipedia (let's face it, I have a very boring job) and I noticed one of the "boxes" at the bottom of the screen lists topics in the category "Lakes at Walt Disney World."

Just for kicks, I decided to try and figure out what/where they are, because most don't link to anything.

Bay Lake, Seven Seas Lagoon, and World Showcase Lagoon are all obvious. Lake Buena Vista is what the city is named after but I never knew where it was (by the Buena Vista Golf Course.)

The others are a little tougher. Hourglass Lake I know is at Pop Century. Lake Coronado, I would imagine, is at Coronado Springs. Lake Magnolia seems to imply that it might be near the Magnolia golf course. Melody Lake makes me think of All Star Music but I don't think there is water by any of the All Stars, at least not water that was named in the last ten years. Caymen Lake, I'm guessing, is the one in Caribbean Beach Resort, because none of the other choices make sense. Celebration Bay, I'm guessing, is near Celebration. Gateway Lake? Could that be the entire body of water between Epcot and the Studios? I thought that had a different name. Is there another "lake" by the International Gateway or could it be something different altogether? Finally, Black Lake is Lake Buena Vista's original name, as the LBV article stated.

As for Buck Lake, Orange Lake, Lake Reams, Discovery Lake, Lake Sharp, Celebration Bay, and Gateway Lake...anybody got any ideas?

dumbo ears
04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
i never knew how many lakes there were at wdw

huzzah4
04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
It makes sense that there would be a lot of lakes around, it is after all built in the middle of a swamp.

SpecJoe Magic
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not certain, but I think that the lake that is surrounded by the Epcot Resorts (Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin) is called Crescent Lake. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, there is a timeshare resort near Animal Kingdom Lodge called Orange Lake Country Club, and there is a lake near AK Lodge. Maybe that lake is called Orange Lake. That's just a guess.

Figment!
04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm not certain, but I think that the lake that is surrounded by the Epcot Resorts (Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin) is called Crescent Lake. Does anyone know for sure?It sure is. :thumbsup:

Another one to add:

The adjoining lake that connects Crescent Lake to the Studios is Lake Hollywood.

Red Randal
04-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow, those two aren't even on Wikipedia's list and those are two big ones. I guess that's what you get for relying on Wikipedia.

How in the world did I not know that Crescent Lake is the one at the Epcot resorts. I've spent the last week planning a trip to the Beach Club for cryin' outloud! :blush:

vizsla
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
The Lake at CBR is named Barefoot Bay.

Figgyluv03
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
:ditto: Spent many of days out on Barefoot Bay!!! Oh, how I miss my turtles!

Jasper
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow, those two aren't even on Wikipedia's list and those are two big ones. I guess that's what you get for relying on Wikipedia.

You said a mouthful there about trusting Wikipedia. Because of the way information is put into Wikipedia by any Joe Schmoe, they certainly have a lot of information that is either missing or just plain wrong in some cases. I don't begrudge Wikipedia though because they don't pretend to be anything but what they are.

What does scare me about Wikipedia though is that at least a couple of times I have seen legitimate news shows quote Wikipedia to support their story! I would think they could find a more constantly accurate source.

Don't get me wrong, not everything on Wikipedia is wrong or bad but you just have to be careful and take things with a grain of salt.