PDA

View Full Version : Disney in August

bostomco
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey Everyone,
How bad is Disney in the first and second week of August? Is going at that time going to completely ruin our vaction?
Thanks

bostomco
04-04-2007, 03:20 PM
The last two options on the poll should obviously be Yes's. I was a little overzealous when I posted. Sorry.

CleveSJM
04-04-2007, 03:28 PM
It'll be a blast of heat but... :D;)

Just plan on taking it easy and getting indoors a lot. They have mist-ers all over the place go get wet with those. No problem.

I'd also pass on the parade during the afternoon.

wdwvacationeer
04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
We went to WDW last year in August and are actually going back again this August. We really liked. The first three weeks or so, the weather is hot, but with breaks during the day it is great. The last week in August, my neighbor went and it was a lot more rainy then when we went the week earlier. As long as you drink enough water and go swimming in the middle of the day it is a breeze! Good Luck!

SBETigg
04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
It is extremely hot and humid and crowds are larger in the first two weeks of August. It's always doable, but if you have the ability to go at other times, I would go at other times.

dizneeat
04-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I am a teacher and the only time we can go for a longer period of time is in the summer months. We have been all through August and even though it IS hot and humid, if you take some time out at noon, and go for a swim or a nap and enjoy the EMH in the evening you'll have a wonderful time.
As you can see from my signature - we are going back in August this year again.
Have a fun time!:thumbsup:

Tigerlilly
04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
We went in August of 2003 and I am not sure we would consider August again. It was just too blasted humid and I am from SC and I know Humid!
We got wet on Kali River Rapids and were beyond miserable. It was just too much. The baking heat, the stiffling humidity, the crowds of grumpy hot people, throw in the every afternoon thunderstorms (Epcot closed up like a turtle, there was NOTHING to do, even the rides closed up, there were so many people ther was no where to get out of the rain). . .I would not do it but thats me.

Jodi
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
We were there the 3rd week in August last year. It was hot, somewhat crowded, but, YES, we had a blast!! How can you not have a blast, you are in the Happiest Place on Earth. :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-04-2007, 07:41 PM
How can you not have a blast, you are in the Happiest Place on Earth. :mickey:
Great point!

We've been in August numerous times and we'll be there again this August! :thumbsup:

The later you go in August, the lighter the crowds will be. Try to get to the waterparks if you can (avoid the weekends) and days that you're at the park, leave in the afternoons. The midday can be brutally hot!!! :thedolls:

There have been many a day when we're down in Lake Buena Vista, and the weather & humidity are much worse in the Northeast along the coast!

GreenBeetle
04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Hate to be a party pooper here but . . . I would never consider going after May or before October. But that's just me . . . if you are a good sport and can handle the heat - GO FOR IT!! :D

crazypoohbear
04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
We were there last August, came home labor day weekend. It was hotter here in Boston than it was in FLA. It was hot but everything is airconditioned, (except Animal Kingdom:( )
I carry an umbrella to keep the sun off me and we drink LOTS of water and use mister fans. If you can survive Boston in the summer you can survive Disney. And... people are happier in Disney than in Boston in August:cool:

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I would recommend going as late in August as you can, every week makes a difference in crowd levels.

That being said, we've been twice in mid-late August, and would most definately go back again at that time. Crowds start to get smaller, and although it is hot, it wasn't crazy. We took it easy, took advantage of the air-conditioning whenever we could, and left the parks most days for a mid-afternoon break and swim.

So, although it might not be the best time, it isn't totally horrible, and you'll still enjoy the trip!

mrsgaribaldi
04-04-2007, 10:15 PM
We went in August last year to catch WWTBAM before it closed for good. The Florida kids were back in school but it was still to darn hot!! I hate the heat so I will never do that again. Unless I can only go out when the sun goes down.;) But my understanding is that it's still hot then:confused:

richardsa98
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
We love Disney in August! I am a teacher and always venture there in June the week school gets out, or August the week before we go back. While it is warm, both times of the year are great because all of the schools aren't always out so the crowds are thinner :)

cinderellangel
04-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I have gone in August the past two years and am planning to go this August. I feel that the weather is hot but bearable, take some chances to go inside in air-conditioned stores. As far as lines, the longest I waited was 30 minutes. And I didn't have to wait on lines often because of the Extra Magic Hours and the Fastpass. Now, I went to DW the second week in August and it was fine cause a lot of the Floridian kids are back in school. The second week in August (I think) starts the value season in terms of resort rates. So, go for it, get some water, and have some fun!!! God bless and happy Mickey :mickey:

kakn7294
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes, it's crazy to go in August IF you can go at some other time of year when it's not so hot, humid, and busy but for me, I'd much rather brave the heat and crowds than have that wacky weather we had on our December trip and have to pull the kids out of school again. Besides, August in Pittsburgh is hot too so it's not like it's much different than at home.

carribeanpirate5
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
We go each August for the 3-4 week of the month time frame. As many have said, Southern Schools are back in and crowds are down. Its really hot, but if you get out early, hit the parks until noon, go back to your resort and swim/lounge and hit the parks again at night, it is fine. Also, my wife is not tolerant of heat and humidity, but this plan works for all of us.

Lorraine444
04-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I will be going Aug 5-12th, not much choice w/12 yr old in school. last time I went was the last week in Aug. It was all about a mission to do all the rides, we did, some rides were long & some not so long. We did accomplish it, but it was exhausting & hot.... Wished I could have slowed down & relaxed a bit. Hoping I can hold back this year & relax a little (HA)!
Guess it's all about utilized the FP & EMH....
Good luck to both of us!!!!!!

alicia524luvstw
04-06-2007, 06:05 AM
We went in August a few days after Charlie blew through. It was very rainy. That didn't stop us from having fun though. The rain doesn't last too long. I'd rather go in August and be hot than March and have it a little too cool.

merlinmagic4
04-06-2007, 07:05 AM
It'll be a blast of heat but... :D;)

Just plan on taking it easy and getting indoors a lot. They have mist-ers all over the place go get wet with those. No problem.

I'd also pass on the parade during the afternoon.

I have to agree about the parade. It was really the only time the heat was uncomfortable. The rest was fine, although we went at the end of August when crowds are lower. You'll have a great time; it's hot everywhere!;)

Donald Duck
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
We plan on going around Aug 20th this year. The last 2 times we went in early October it was in the low to mid 90's almost every day, rained everyday and was very crowded. I'm hoping the 3rd and 4th week of August can't be worse than that.
The Florida schools will be back by then which wil help some.
We plan on getting to the parks early, staying until lunch, head back to the Beach Club to go in the pool and then go back to a park around 4:00 or 5:00 pm.

MarkC
04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
We've been there the last two years in August and had a great time, especially if you like to go swimming in the afternoon. The crowds drop off noticeably from the 1st to 2nd week. It's going to be hot everywhere that time of year, so don't worry about it. Lot's of water and indoor attractions during the heat of the day will take of that issue. Go and enjoy.

glenpreece
04-08-2007, 11:04 AM
When we went in Aug '05 it was really humid and hot. 104 by noon!! The crowds were not crazy they were worse at the halloween party the following year actually. The only other downer was the rain. It poured down for about an hour each afternoon. at one point we had just drove back from Wal-Mart and were trapped in the car because it was reaining so hard. My dad was royally un happy about the rain each day and the heat. Being from the Toronto area we never get weather that hot and humid.