PDA

View Full Version : How to convince family another trip is really a necessity?

thejens
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Okay, something is really wrong with me. I went to WDW for the very first time (41 years old) last year. Naturally, being a planner, I did lots (and lots) of research. I laughed off my partner's suggestion I was being a bit obsessive and gloated in the fast pass lines later. Next I secretly logged onto Intercot(after our trip,) vowing never to be one of those overboard, Mickey collecting fanatics. Now I am buying pins off ebay, planning our second trip, and scheduling ADRs so that we can scope out WD for our third trip. I am also trying to figure out how I can avoid waiting a whole year between trips. Mind you, I do not have limitless wealth. Is there a cure for this addiction? If not, I really would like to know the cheapest time to take a long weekend in WDS and convincing reasons for my family. AS IF WE SHOULD NEED REASONS! Muggles. There really should be a word for those unable to fully appreciate the magic.

FatCat
04-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I am an annual pass holder for the various discounts. My excuse is always I need to maximize my return on the AP.

Dsnygirl
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Muggles. There really should be a word for those unable to fully appreciate the magic.

:yes: :exactly: That's really a perfect word for them!! I've even used it myself on my DH when he's not in the "magic" mood - he just laughs me off b/c he knows I know better....:D

And there's really nothing wrong with you - you've probably already seen that most of us on these boards are just like you - always planning & scheming :plot: for our next trip - even before we've left!! Around here, it's the norm! :cool: Luckily, there is no cure... I can't imagine what life would be like if there was! :faint:

tinksmom02
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm in the same boat, except that we just got back 2 months ago and I'm desperate to go back!! Dh agreed to go back--but not until September 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm on these boards constantly, waiting for some unbelievable deal to come my way, so we can go back sooner LOL I told him that IF (I know, it's a big if!) they offer free dining, we're definitely going! He can stay home if he wants--DD and I will probably have a better time without him LOL

Jeri Lynn
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
My excuse....just because....

I have told my family that I will go to WDW at least once a year for the rest of my life, as long as I can afford it and am in good health.

My famiy is a little disney'd out, except for one daughter, and I am taking her this year...otherwise my trips will most likely be "girls trips" with my sister.

We also try and visit our parents who live near Tampa during the winter, and if we can get to WDW during our visit that is great!

My DH likes Disney and enjoys his time there, although he is not ga ga over it like me...so he's happy to see me go with my sister!:mickey:

mdricks
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
40 year old dad of two here. Totally obsessed. Ah well. Take it from Brer Rabbit, everybody gots a laughin place.

I go solo once a year. I try and get a business trip put together and stretch it out so I can fly on opm. When I cant (next month on the 17th for example!!!) I just count my change and travel light. The best money savers so far...

Magical Journeys. You will have the best rate available period.

Value resorts. Its just me, what do I care?

DDP?? Saved me a bundle with the family don't know if it will work solo yet.

Buy for the future. Purchase tickets in bulk with the no expire option. About every two years I get a 10day hopper with no expire. I just hold onto it and use it as time passes.

Persistent combing of the web for cheap flights.
The single most expensive item for me is the flight. As my go time approaches I start looking for cheap flights and plan my mini-vacation around airfare prices. The prices are usually low because no one else is flying which means that the crowds are likely low at my destination. Flexibility will serve you very well.

So far, by using this method I have had no problem getting the room I wanted at a great rate during a time that suited me.

Last but not least. Understanding family members. My wife rolls her eyes :giveup: and looks the other way. My kids remain blissfully ignorant of dads "business trips".

God help me if they ever figure it out. :secret:

I can see the psychiatrist appointment now....
"My dad used to go to Disney and he didn't even take us!" :envy:

the real Alice
04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I've got it bad too. i just got back 2 weeks ago and i already want to go back! It was our first time staying inside and eatting at Disney and we really want to go back just for O'Hana & Le Cellier :D We are supposed to go to Cedar Point in early Oct, but I keep hoping SW will offer really cheap airfare and that i can convince him to switch. :thedolls: But i have to admit that i feel a little guitly about it b/c DH loves the thrill rides at Cedal Point

alicia524luvstw
04-05-2007, 05:46 AM
I'll find any excuse to go back! I love WDW. MY family doesn't love it as I do but the love me so they come. My son insists this is his last trip. So, o.k. I'm thinking about booking the Disney cruise next trip.:secret:

SandmanGStefani24
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
i was in the same boat a few months ago. I had been thinking about the trip I had taken last and I just felt like I had left some things on the table. I wanted to finish what I had started and go one more time. The Mrs didn't feel like going again, and said she wasn't going to go. I then told her I was going alone then, so she wouldn't be dragged along and I could do what I wanted. Amazingly, she soon changed her tune and then asked me to include her on the trip. :D

Going back again not only makes things go smoother, but you can focus more on things you missed or things you loved. Either way, you can now skip the things you didn't care for and focus on the fun stuff. It will be great!
Have fun!:beer:

CandleontheWater
04-06-2007, 08:28 AM
How to convince the family...hmm... I know, pretend you've fallen into a deep dark depressions for which the only cure is....DISNEY MAGIC:magic: Maybe if you guys worked out a serious saving plan, that would help convince them.

jokat
04-07-2007, 12:00 AM
My DH always says, "Find a way to pay for it and we can do whatever you want." I have a prince of a husband too, so that makes it easy. I scam and scheme all I can to find a way to pay for it without giving up too much day to day. The biggest reason I've had to wait this long (since 2004) is because we've been busy with DD, born in '05. Well worth the wait to see her face the first time she sees WDW! I can't imagine be surrounded by "muggles" and having to convince them to go back...I think I'd just go by myself!