PDA

View Full Version : Poor Ol' Hoop De Doo...

Goes4FastPass
04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
...hasn't changed a bit in years - except the price. Is everything at WDW a sacred 'classic' that can never be altered in any way? :eek:

Here's my question: Do WDW fans go back to HDDR time after time because the script is always the same or in spite of it always being the same.

I'd love to see HDDR spiffed up a bit.

We say Mary Poppins on Broadway recently. It was great to hear the songs I learned as a child with new lyrics mixed in.

When stone age men were chatting simply grunting would suffice,
But if they heard this word they might have used it once or twice,
I am sure Egyptian Pharohs would have grasped it in a jiff,
The every single pyramid would bear this hieroglyph,
Supercali...

SBETigg
04-03-2007, 03:32 PM
In all my trips, I still have yet to see Hoop de Doo. We skipped it when the kids were little, and now they are teens and don't want to see it. It's on the list for the first trip without the kids, if that ever happens. I have a feeling we'll be bringing them as adult tagalongs, but who knows. Next trip for sure! (I mean the one after this year's).

Roo Girl
04-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm seeing it for the first time during out next trip in 18 DAYS!!! I really think, like most other WDW classics, that we get the warm fuzzies from the familiar- sure somewhere deep down we wouldn't mind an update, but when it really comes down to it, we want to preserve the classics by any means necessary! It's part of being a true WDW FANatic. :mickey:

KAT1811
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
We love the HDDR and go every trip. Since that is about once a year the corny jokes and skits are still entertaining because we can't remember what exactly was said the last time we were there and the audience interaction is different every time.

rsumrall
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't pout if they spruced up the HDDR, but I don't think it needs anything new. It is a wonderful show - so wonderful that it has a great repeatability factor. Even for those who don't like it, I guess they can "Grin and Bear it!" Yuk! Yuk!

GrumpyFan
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Uhmm... why change a good thing? If it works, and still draws sold out crowds, night after night, year after year, why would they change it?

Out of curiousity, and not that I necessarily think it needs updating, but how would you improve it?

Other shows at WDW have come and gone. Tarzan Rocks at AK, Hunchback at MGM, the Luau at Poly was changed not to long ago, not sure why. But, it seems to me they only change shows/attractions or replace them when the audience level starts declining.

I think the answer to your question is, people continue to go back because it's always fun and enjoyable, and the food's not too bad either. What makes it so fun and enjoyable? I think number 1 is the script. Yes, it's corny and could be considered by some to be outdated, but it works because the cast are dynamic enough to keep it working. Number 2 is that there's audience participation. When the audience participates on such a level, it's more than just watching performers, it's almost like being a part of the show.

BellewanaB
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
It's like saying "please stand clear of the doors..."
The HDDR is reliable, not predictable!

As for Mary Poppins on Broadway, I went during previews and was horrified that it wasn't more true to the movie! Stepping back, I hope to read the books and go back to see it again. The performers were UNBELIEVABLE though, huh?

pogo
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
We are also going to see it for the first time during our trip in a couple of weeks and we 're looking forward to it.:mickey:

I'll give you my opinion when I get back, but if it aint broken.... don't fix it ! :D

GenieOfPA
04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
i don't mind the script being somewhat the same... its like seeing a comedy movie you've seen time and time again. its still funny even after knowing whats going to happen.

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
To me ,the beauty of WDW is the endearing nature of it's classic attractions. Hoop-de-doo is one of those classics. You can come back and enjoy it just like one of your favorite movies. And for the people who have never seen them ,the first time is a joy to behold.

If it was up to old fuddy -duddy me ,I wouldn't change 90 % of the stuff that lies within the borders of Walt Disney World. And 5% of those things that I would change , involves things that Disney tinkered with and messed up , which I'd like to see brought back in it's original form ( Journey into Imagination or Enchanted Tiki Birds , anyone ? How about the re-birth of River Country ? Starting over with Sounds Dangerous and Stitch ? Restoring Main Street U.S.A. to include Penny Arcade ,Main Street Cinema , Walt Disney Story ,the magic shop ,etc. ). Rant over.

:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
My family goes to the HDDR about once every 2 years...
Not sure if we fall into the "because of" or "in spite of" category. :scratch:

However, we absolutely love this show!!!

My kids sing "Hoop Dee Doo, Hoop Dee Doo," for days afterwards - in fact weeks and months afterwards! Just today, DD (6 years old) was doing her rendition of "Old Clementine" (or was it "Old Frankenstein?" ;) ).

Disney has done remarkable work over the course of their tenure in Florida. The HDDR is one of their best achievements. For a place that is not easily accessible, doesn't have the best food, and is laced with jokes that were funny back in the 1930's, the Pioneer Players at Ft. Wilderness are doing something right; they do pack 'em in, night after night! :thumbsup:

SgtTigger
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
While reading this I got to thinking......

The show is really not the same every time.... Yes, the base show is but they interact with the guest and that is different every time.... So that is why we go back........

So yes it is the same only different....... I like that statement......

:cop: :tigger:

Piglet822
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM

This is a very fitting statement for you :)

SgtTigger
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

This is a very fitting statement for you :)

Thank you very much I thought that one up my self...........
:haha: :funny:

:cop: :tigger:

TiggerRPh
04-06-2007, 12:18 AM
...hasn't changed a bit in years - except the price. Is everything at WDW a sacred 'classic' that can never be altered in any way? :eek:

The fact that the show doesn't change really doesn't bother us....we just love the show and go every time we go to WDW.

Mickey 101
04-06-2007, 02:41 AM
As someone who's never gone to HDDR, but is curious, I noticed the food doesn't get high marks. What is it like? Thanks!

Maleficent's Dad
04-06-2007, 07:55 AM
As someone who's never gone to HDDR, but is curious, I noticed the food doesn't get high marks. What is it like? Thanks!
Food is served in "buckets" family style. Everything is on pewter type of platters (plates, buckets, etc).
Food is bread & salad (drenched in dressing!), fried chicken (good if you like fried chicken), ribs (not the best we've had by a long shot), corn on the cob (mediocre), and beans. Dessert is Strawberry Shortcake which again, is far from the best we've ever had.
The food is served in abundance and they'll bring you as much as you'd like.
The thing is, most don't go for the food - sure you expect to get fed with a decent meal (and you do), but you really go for the show. :mickey:

Oh yeah, drinks are included - including draft beer, wine, sangria, soft drinks, coffee, & tea.

cgriff
04-06-2007, 08:53 AM
They altered "Diamond Horshoe Revue", didn't they?

Tynkerbelle
04-06-2007, 09:01 AM

Some things are sacred and just shouldn't be messed with... Does anyone remember the New Coke?

Having said that we go back every year because we enjoy it - the show is good and each time it's a little different thanks to the interaction. It's the same reason we go back to WDW every year. It may be pretty much the same every time, but we know we like it, the classics bring back memories and there are enough new interactions that spice it up a bit!:mickey:

PirateStitch
04-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Okay. I've been to disney over 30 times and have not done this? Where is it at..and what the price? Maybe something new to check up on my one day trip before our Disney Cruise. Thanks !

Piglet822
04-13-2007, 06:32 AM
This info was taken from info central:

Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
Advanced Dining Reservations: Yes, up to 2 years in advance.
Call 407-WDW-DINE
Hours: Seatings are at 5PM, 7:15PM & 9:30PM
Tickets and table assignments available at Resort Guest Services locations or Pioneer Hall, up to five days in advance.
Range of Food: Fried chicken, smoked BBQ pork ribs, corn, baked beans, tossed salad, bread and strawberry shortcake. Unlimited draft beer, wine, sangria and soft drinks.

This link has some more information:

Hoop-Dee-Doo Muscial Revue (http://http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#Hoop)

KAT1811
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Definately a must try if you have never done it before. A tried and true Disney favorite. I think the fact that it is in FW probably acounts for why you haven't heard of it. I don't think many people realize that there are things to do over in FW other than camp. Not only is there The HDDR but there is the campfire movies with Chip & Dale, horseback riding, hay rides, etc.

I hope you like it what a way to kick off a cruise!!!

dandersonjr
04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
As a child of 7, I saw the HDDR for the first time. It was one of the most memorable parts of my trip back in 1974.

I took my kids to it for the first time in 2005. One was 8, another 9, and the last one was 12. They loved the almost completely unchanged show. (What I could remember of it.) I loved it.

We went back last year, the kids a year older. They loved it. Even the teenager found himself clapping and laughing. The youngest boy was chosen as the 'Hunter', and his grin didn't go away for days.

The other day, he said, "Hey Dad, remember when I was the Hunter in Disney."

It's called a classic because, quite honestly, they got it right the first time. You laugh because the jokes are corny. The food is outstanding, and the Sangria flows.

No need to ever change it.

WDWfeelslikehome
04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
DW and I are huge fans of HDD, although we don't go to it every visit anymore. We LOVE the food, and the show is entertaining, we just try to space it out a little so that it doesn't become stale to us. We also do this with some other attractions or shows as well, we try to rotate which ones we hit on a visit, it helps keep the magic going, and gets you looking forward to the next trip because there's always something that you didn't do this time.

pook@wdw
04-21-2007, 06:10 PM
We've been every trip since '75, and will go in all our future trips. I think we go BECAUSE it's the same. Same great food, same fun atmosphere, and same hokey but memorable songs ! "If it ain't broke...don't fix it !!:yes:

disney100%
04-24-2007, 09:25 AM
My family never misses this show. We have been on every trip except our first. We always save it for our last night. We have already planned our 2008 trip and HDDR is once again on the ADR list! We can't wait!

Yes, the jokes are corny, but we still laugh at everyone of them. My brother was actually picked for the show one year, which made a show we loved even better. My son saw it for the first time on our last trip and he danced through most of the songs and played the washboard - he was only 14 months. I am getting excited to go again just thinking about it!

EvilQueen2006
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
i have not been to Hoop de doo since 1990 when i was 14, It reminds me of my Beba (my grandfather), who was pulled up on stage to wear the tutu. i miss him, and have not been able to go back because it would make me too sad. Someday i hope to go back and enjoy this show again.

IloveMM
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
What is the Hoop Dee Doo? I've been to Disney a lot and have no idea what in the world you're talking about (and had to really get brave to ask, so be nice!) ;) Are you talking about Country Bear Gamboree?

To answer question above about overall Disney for me - I go because it's the same. I do like the fact that with some measured idea I'm going into it knowing what I'm getting for my money. I'm one of these fuddie-duddies that likes the same old thing, hates change and I absolutely love Disney. With that being said, I wish they'd get rid of the Snow White ride and put something else in there. That one isn't kid friendly at all..... :confused:

AuntLaura
04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
HoopDeDoo is a dinner show at the Fort Wilderness Resort. Picture a western-themed vaudeville-type show with music and lots of pun jokes. The food is ribs, fried chicken, salad, corn on the cob, beans and strawberry shortcake. We've been there quite a few times. I only saw the Luau once. If I had to choose, HDD would win hands down.

Pop Centurion
04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
My GF talked me into doing the Hoop De Doo last year. I honestly didn't think I'd like it at all but was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was. We'll be doing it again this year since we're taking my Niece this time.

LibertyTreeGal
04-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Okay. I've been to disney over 30 times and have not done this? Where is it at..and what the price? Maybe something new to check up on my one day trip before our Disney Cruise. Thanks !

Here's the link :) http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#Hoop

I love Hoop Dee Doo! And many above posters are absolutely correct, why change something that consistently packs them in night after night, year after year? If it ain't broke.... don't make it into another JIYI!!!

We are taking DH's parents this year for a surprise!!!! I know my FIL will LOVE it.

disneygeek18
04-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess im in the minority here....I dont think changing it would be all that bad. A few new jokes thrown wouldnt hurt anything. I love going to Walt Disney World and seeing what has changed slightly, like a new joke in a show, or an added animatronic to a ride. I think things like are what keep a lot of people coming back.

LilHooligan74
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I am excited to go see it. Have never stayed on property and have not been for any length of time since 1987. Going this summer. Plan on seeing HDDR. Have never seen it. I hope my DD7 and DD4 will like it.

ImagiAsh
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I enjoy HDDR. It's entertaining and fun. It's not the type of show I would see *every* trip, but it's nice to go ever few years to keep it a fairly fresh experience. :mickey:

biodtl
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
If they changed it up a little, I wouldn't mind. but I wouldn't want to see it completely different. Like someone else pointed out - they still sell out consistently, so why change it?

And changing something doesn't mean it will get better. Just compare the original Imagination to the "improved" versions.