PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for how you save....

Dsnygirl
04-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Okay - bring on the $$$ saving tips... how do you put extra $$$ aside for your trip?? :twocents: :idea:

MsMin
04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Any extra money I earn goes to the "disney fund" Last year my Yorkie got pregnant (we have a pair but he was supposed to be too young) That really helped with the savings :thumbsup: I know it sounds terrible but I did save the money to share with the family. I've done artwork for ppl and help my dad during tax season. All the extras get saved.
When I return items to walmart I put the money in my jar. Basically any extra cash -- in the jar. Someone pays me back or helps pay for lunch in cash-- in the jar.
If I really feel I need to increase my savings then I skip that "latte" and put the money in the jar.
That should be a pretty good idea of what we do. I am in the process of breeding my Yorkies again right now :blush: My vet recommended it b/c they have such great coats and are very healthy. I plan to have them fixed after this but for now -- We're going to Disney World;) :thedolls:

vizsla
04-03-2007, 05:26 AM
Besides my full-time job, I am also a partner in a part-time business. The extra money I make from the part-time business helps us out with DD's gymnastic expenses and what ever is left over goes into our Disney fund.

pogo
04-03-2007, 07:07 AM
We use the Disney Visa Card for any major purchases and save our Disney Dollars for our trip. Then we pay the balence in full.:mickey:

About four months ahead, we start putting every penny, nickel, and dime away. We cut back on going out to eat, things like that.:D

merlinmagic4
04-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I sell on ebay :) I was able to use most of what I earned for our trip next week although I had to use a little to finish off the bills last month! I am planning to pay for a short trip in November with all ebay money!

I love the change jar idea a lot of people use. My problem is that I use it for lunch money all the time! I need to get a jar that can't be opened until you smash it.

Caroleh
04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
I automatically put $100 each paycheck into my savings account. Then any "found" money goes into my savings. "found" money=anything I sell or anything I win from my weekly $6 worth of scratch tickets(I usually win a little). We also throw our change into a jar and that money helps out also.

CanadianWDWFan
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
We also have a jar that we put all of our change into. It helps that here we have $1 and $2 coins, so that really adds up fast. Last trip we had $500 from the jar alone.

BMan62
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Normally, we use our Income Tax Refund for our annual vacation (not always Disney.)

Beside that, I have been getting the $25 bags of State Quarters from the U.S. Mint and after I take out what I need for my collections, the rest go into our 'Trip Fund.'

Also, SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) and I, put all our change into a can that we periodically cash in and add to the fund.

We took a cruise (Royal Caribbean because they have a ship that leaves from Baltimore, not Disney) last October and still had enough left to make a 4 day/4 night trip to WDW Valentine's week this year.

Marilyn Michetti
04-03-2007, 09:14 AM
We save our coins, and never spend a $5.00 bill. They go into the vacation savings. Beyond that, tax refunds, and DH's VERY modest expense check from classes he takes for work. Disney rewards help with meals, as well.:mickey:

Boojum
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Our ways of saving are ordinary, but they do add up:

We keep the thermostat at 68 in the winter, 73 in the summer. I also rarely use my clothes dryer--we have a nice big playroom in our basement, and I use drying racks to dry the clothes there. The savings do add up.

We rarely eat out--it's just too easy to get into the habit of zipping through the drive-thru lines. When we do eat out, it's a sit-down meal and usually a special occasion, like a birthday.

Except for food, we buy nothing that isn't on sale. I'm lucky in this department--I have two skinny DDs who can wear size 3-4 jeans, and we have no trouble finding these marked down to 70% off.

We're careful to keep the cars tuned up, we have regular oil changes, and we keep our eyes on the tires--this saves on repair work and gas.

Doing all these things, I'm able to sock an average of $200 a month into our "Disney Fund."

Now I'll shut up--I sound like a "Heloise" column and I'm probably boring everyone to death.

sleepingbooty
04-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Now I'll shut up--I sound like a "Heloise" column and I'm probably boring everyone to death.

Not at all! I never get bored of money saving tips!

We do a lot of those "ordinary" type things to keep expenses down in general, thus freeing up money in the monthly budget to put in the vacation fund.

We set up an extra account at our bank and titled it "Vacation Fund." Then I set it up on the "Keep the Change" system (we use Bank of America), where every transaction from our primary checking account is rounded up and the change deposited automatically in the vacation fund - its usually from $15 - $25 a month. We also do an automatic transfer of $25 a month from checking to the vacation fund. My husband is a musician (in addition to his regular job), so we usually take $100 from his earnings every month and toss that in. The biggest chunk of savings usually comes from our tax return. When both my girls are in school, I'll probably go back to work, at least part time, and then it'll be a breeze! For now, we have to be more creative!

Dsnygirl
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Not at all!! Any advice/tips is so welcome!! :thumbsup:

We had a Disney jar that broke a few months ago, and as we didn't have a trip planned, wasn't replaced... but I made a new one today, and already have put some $$ into it. :D I'm a Creative Memories (scrapbooking) consultant, too, and am going to put all the commission I make into a separate savings account from now on for our trips, too, I think.

Also, SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) :funny: :silly: gotta share that with my DH....:D

BronxTigger
04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I have an automatic transfer from my checking account into my savings account. It is set up to transfer $100/week into savings. (This is equal to about $14/day) Yes, I occasionally need to get into the savings to put some money back into the checking, but I try to live day-to-day without that money. By the way, that is my only savings account, it is not just Disney. I find it's better to use only one account because interest is given based on a percent. The more money your have in one account, the more interest you earn on that account. I use Capital One online savings, and the interest rate is 4.5 or 5%.

I get ideas off of the msn money and yahoo personal finance websites. I don't have children, pets, or cable, which saves a LOT of money (the children, not so much the cable).

I will pair coupons and sales for regular household items to get the best deal on things.

mrsgaribaldi
04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
After a day I put all the singles, $5s $10s and even an occasional $20 into a jar to save. It really adds up:thumbsup:

Flower
04-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I save all of our Loonies, twoonies & quarters. (Loonies and twoonies are $1 and $2 coins as Brian stated). We also roll loose change and set it aside for a trip.

Any cheques I receive as reimbursements for drug prescriptions or medical expenses I put aside too.

It is amazing how fast the change adds up!!!

Kristi Kay
04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
My love for Disney has, once again, taken over and I'm moving back to Disney is Sept and it is EXPENSIVE to move and take on Orlando rent, so...I've gotten a part time job at the Disney Store...ya know, sometimes part time jobs get shorted b/c you've already had a hard day at your full time job, but working at the Disney Store keeps me focused on what I'm doing this for, plus the constant Disney music keeps me in a good mood!