PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express and ECVs

PETE FROM NYC
04-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I just read the ME page and it says ME will take wheelchairs.What about ECVs?A wheelchair can be folded,and I could carry it with one hand,but DWs ECV needs the seat removed and two strong bodies to lift it.Or do you stay seated in it for the trip?
Our trip earlier this month,we rented a van,but she wants to avoid the rental thing on our next trip,besides,for us two cripples,loading and unloading was a real chore.

Piglet822
04-02-2007, 02:37 PM
DME buses can handle ECV's. The most important question, can DW manage the stairs of the bus? There are 4 she'll have to navigate in and out. If she can, the ECV can be stowed below in the luggage bin, be prepared to help the driver load and unload it. I personally will not try and lift an ECV by myself. As you've already stated, they are much too heavy for one person to lift alone.
If the stairs might be too much for your DW, when you make your DME reservation let them know you will need a coach with a wheelchair lift. Most of the DME lift coaches are also equipped with an auxiliary wheelchair and a ramp in the luggage bay. Your wife could use the regular wheelchair for the bus and the driver would then stow her ECV in the luggage bay. The ramp assists him/her in loading the ECV so noone has to lift it.

PETE FROM NYC
04-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jeanne.
My DW is super sized and will not fit in a standard wheel chair.As to climbing stairs,she usually needs a step stool to get in our Expedition,so I think this would be a problem.A bus/coach with a lift to take her and her scooter would probably be OK.
I am still trying to talk her into us driving down to WDW this October,by then ,we will have a lift in our car.
I will be retired in a couple of months,so time will not be a problem.

Piglet822
04-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Our buses can kneel, lowering the front end to a few inches above the pavement but it does sound like the lift bus is your best bet. Just be sure you request this when making your reservation.