PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of the DDP

Goofy Pluto
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm just wondering what is the best way to get the most out of the DDP? I don't want to foolishly plan to get this and then use it in a way that would not save us the most money. I'm just curious to all your strategies and how we can get the most bang for our buck using the DDP. Thanks!

mook3y
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Probably the best thing to do is take a look at the menu's here on Intercot. Click here to go to menu's (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp) .

Then you can see which restaurants are the better deals.

But basic stategy to get the most for your $ on DDP is to only use TS credits for dinners, you are better off paying out of pocket for a breakfast.

A good use of snack credits is the large bottle's of water, you can get these from the shops at your resort. Last year when we snack credits left at the end of our stay, we used the credits to get packaged bags of snacks and candy from the resort shop.

DizneyRox
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Correct,

Only use TS credits for dinner. Never use TS credits at a 2 TS restaurant. Pay OOP for any breakfasts you may have, and make sure you use all your credits before you leave.

To get the best value, always order the most expensive items you can, regardless of if you like it or not.

Also, don't tip any extra. Tax and gratuity is included in the cost of the DDP. Of course if you order items that are not part of the DDP you should tip for those and only those items.

onjbj
04-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Because the DDP is for the number of nights you stay, we usually book a character breakfast or a 2 TS dinner- if our flight arrives later in the day, we don't generally use our TS credit for that day. We use a counter service instead. Then we have a TS to use for the breakfast or dinner show. Personally, I wouldn't order something I didn't like just b/c it was expensive- I wouldn't eat it, so where's the value in that?? We found the DDP to be great and also used our leftover snacks for the trip home. Also, you can use the snack credits for some breakfast items like muffins, bagels, etc.

Karin

Lehman Family
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
We used it everytime we went and we loved it.
We did use it on some 2TS meals and still made out. We figured for the price of everything that's included in a TS meal it all but paid for itself in that single meal. You do want to plan a little bit to be sure that you use all of your TS and CS points. The snack points we didn't use right away, so we did what others do and used them all for snacks for on the way home. I don't think you should order the most expensive thing because it's there and you're trying to make up for the money. Eat what you want and enjoy.

goofysbabe
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
We used the dining plan for the first time in August of 06. I have two children ages 6 & 8. Instead of using 2 CS credits for lunches I had them share meals and used the other CS credit for their breakfast. I did not order the most expensive thing on the menu - I ate what I liked. I did find out that with the dining plan that we didn't use snack credits like I thought we would - I endend up using them for stuff to bring home. One thing to remember is that if you go to a place that is TS credit that EACH of your children will be charged their TS credit. Oh we refilled water bottles instead of using snack credits for them. Hope this helps.

AmberB
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
We found a great way to use our snack credits was to purchase the cups of fruit at our resort and eat them for breakfast. This allowed us to use our TS and CS credits for lunch and dinner, with the exception of a few character breakfasts.

Also, we found that we could split many of the CS means between my husband and myself, or at least with one of the kids (7, 3, 2, and 2). So you could use a child's CS credit and a snack credit for breakfast, Adult CS credits for lunch and save your TS credits for a large, delicious and expensive dinner.:mickey:

sleepingbooty
04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
You get so much food on the plan that its actually hard to eat it all, even with only two meals covered. Try having a late breakfast, early lunch in the parks, then an early dinner. You can use your snack credit for a late snack, or something light from the food court for breakfast. It's a great value.

Bruegge
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
To get the best value, always order the most expensive items you can, regardless of if you like it or not.

Also, don't tip any extra. Tax and gratuity is included in the cost of the DDP. .

And by 2009 all restaurants will be serving pasta with mini shrimp, corndogs campbell's chicken noodle soup and chocolate cake. Who else see's the menu deterioration that I'm seeing.....

The dining plan will be the end of all that is "Magical" about Disney dining. Going going gone is variety, special ingedients and flair.

I guess it's Vicky and Al's.... or bust

Scott

DizneyRox
04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Who else see's the menu deterioration that I'm seeing.....
:hi: :hi: :hi: I do! I do! :hi: :hi: :hi:

Duchess99
04-03-2007, 03:37 PM
You know, everyone keeps talking about the menu deterioration since the dining plan, but I didn't find that at all. I had some spectacular meals the last time I was there and went to all the restaurants I usually do. Are there certain restaurants in particular that are having these problems???
Anyway, as far as getting the most out of your money on the DDP, the secret is planning planning planning! Look at all the menus you can and coordinate it around your schedule. I would never us TS credits for breakfast, lunch or buffets...those are always cheaper oop. And for snack, you can make mini meals with them. I find the pretzels and fruit salads very filling and would use that for my lunch some days. Never use them for water...you can buy one big bottle on your first day there and fill it up at the numerous water fountains throughout the parks and resorts during the day...you will save a bundle!

mdricks
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
We are a family of four and we woudl often split meals at lunch and breakfast and we never got hungry or paid any extra money. If you pay close attention the snacks can get you far as well.

Some resturants are a surprise (at the end of the meal) as to just how much money you save. Chef Mickey's and O'Hana's both were surprisingly high ticket meals that saved us alot.

I was a ddp sceptic and I saved a bundle. I would readily do it again.

thejens
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Is it true you can't use your kids TS credits anymore? If so I HATE that!
My tip is that the snack credits are great for gifts for your coworkers and neighbors etc. THe rice crispy mickey mouse head dipped in chocolate!!!Yum!! Well, we tried to give them away...we gave most, I mean some of them away....

poeticeclipse
04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't advise anyone to go with the "most expensive" item on the menu. It's just not worth it to get something that you honestly don't care for eating. Instead, balance out your restaurants and not your menu choices.

Example, if you really want to go to Sci-Fi (a cheaper DDP TS option) pay OOP and use your credit on a nicer restaurant. There are certain restaurants where you just won't want an App, Entree, and dessert. Such as the Sci-FI where you'd be fine getting an entree or only an ice cream sundae. Save that credit for Coral Reef or Le Cellier.

Also, don't use 2 TS credits for any restaurant. Pay OOP. Again, money wise, you're wasting credits on restaurants that just aren't worth 2 TS credits.

Regarding snacks, buy big bags of chips, and don't waste a snack credit on a bottle of water that you could easily just fill up over and over.

BelleandtheBeast
04-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Going during the free months. Great offer.

cetacean01
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Correct,

Only use TS credits for dinner. Never use TS credits at a 2 TS restaurant. Pay OOP for any breakfasts you may have, and make sure you use all your credits before you leave.

Also, don't tip any extra. Tax and gratuity is included in the cost of the DDP. Of course if you order items that are not part of the DDP you should tip for those and only those items.

I must STRONGLY disagree with this. If you recieve excellent service, then reward your server with a few extra bucks. It will come back to you in the end. If you recieve standard or sub-standard service then do not tip any extra.
Remember folks, that servers are making a living as well and most are college kids trying to survive.
This is how I paid my own way through college. A few extra dollars never killed a soul and as I said before, KARMA works and what better place to have it on your side than WDW?

Goofy Pluto
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Regarding the suggestions about not using the DDP for breakfasts...

We're not huge on constantly going to table service restaurants for all our meals. My wife is not big on wasting time sitting in a restaurant when there are rides to go on! As a matter of fact, it's likely we would not do more than 1 TS a day on almost every day. And more than likely, that 1 TS would be for breakfast more times than not. So would it not be worth getting the DDP if the majority of our TS meals would be for breakfast? At least half? (I can tell you that Crystal Palace, Hollywood & Vine, and Kona Cafe are 3 places we are considering for breakfast with a 6 night stay (6 TS meals). I wouldn't mind squeezing Boma for breakfast in there, as well, if we could.)

Also, regarding the comment about going during the free DDP time, we'd LOVE to do that, but we already have another vacation planned at the end of August and can't cancel it. And we don't want to do two trips back to back. So we're holding off on this until after Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

Cathy S
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Wow...get the most expensive item whether you like it or not?!? How do you get the most bang out of you $ if you don't enjoy your meal?:confused:

We loved the DDP! We did use 2 TS for a couple of restaurants we might not ever have had a chance to eat at (FF and Citricos) and these were two of the best dining experiences we ever had. OOP for breakfasts (BOMA and Kona Cafe). CS for lunches and other breakfasts. Snacks for :mickey: bars, light breakfast items, and snacks for the way home. Even with the DDP we often tipped extra at most of our TS meals because the service was so excellant and waitstaff often deserve more because of their attention and hard work. The end result for us was that we spent less than $200 oop for a wonderful time and great meals. We ordered what we liked and often took dessert back to the resort to enjoy later or for breakfast the next day. (You'd be amazed how good R&C's Guiness Chocolate Cake tastes early in the morning:blush: ).

My advice is to plan ahead, eat where you have always wanted to but never have and ENJOY!:thumbsup:

Katiebell
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I also strongly disagree with ordering the most expensive menu item whether or not you like it -- I'd end up with a lot of untouched lobster on my plates :sick: And yes, absolutely tip a little extra if the service was wonderful. I intend to carry a little extra cash for just that reason.

If the adults in your party eat one TS meal a day with an average value of $25, then the DDP is more than worth the cost. That's one TS meal entree only (a good steak or seafood); or a less expensive entree with appetizer and/or dessert; or a buffet.

$25 meal
$2 beverage
$2 tax
$5 tip
That's $34 for one meal, and it's not extravagant. The adult price for the DDP is $39/day and includes a snack up to $4 and a CS meal as well, that could be valued at $10-$15.

A 2 TS meal is worth it if it would be minimum $50 OOP including tax and tip (the snack credit and CS credit can still be used elsewhere). We didn't plan any 2 TS meals, but we planned a couple of extra meals more than we have total TS credits. So we looked at our whole list and decided to pay OOP for 'Ohana breakfast and CP breakfast because those would be the least expensive TS meals OOP for us.

SBETigg
04-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Dizneyrox had to be kidding around?

Personally, I think if you are worried about getting the most value out of the dining plan, you are doing it wrong. The DP is there to save you hassle and money. If you're dining with one TS dinner a day and eating one CS a day, you are almost always saving money over what you would pay out in regular prices, and you are definitely spending less on a lot more food. So relax, enjoy, and plan mostly dinners but if you do a few breakfasts or lunches instead you are probably even still saving money overall. It's that simple.

DizneyRox
04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Dizneyrox had to be kidding around?

Well, it was partly done in jest, however, the original question is/was.

I don't want to foolishly plan to get this and then use it in a way that would not save us the most money.

I think I answered that.

Surely, you wouldn't order something just to order something, on the other hand, you are paying for a lot so why not take advantage. 1/2 of me says don't get something you're not going to eat and the other 1/2 say, take a few bites, if you don't like it, oh well.

When doing a DDP to OOP comparison, you sould really look at real costs when making your decision. If you don't order appetizers, make sure you subtract them from your OOP expenses. If you're paying more for the room so you can get the DDP, ADD that your DDP column.

Also, make sure you can actually get the food that you are planning on when making your decision. You might think you are going to eat at Le Cellier, but in reality, unless you have a reservation, you aren't going to be eating there.

As I've said in other threads, we've looked at the DDP in the past, and it hasn't worked for us. Last trip, for only 4 days, we would have been $75 pp in the hole had we went with the DDP vs OOP.

Goes4FastPass
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Our DDP strategy includes

Use TS credits for dinners only. Walt made a character that uses TS credits for breakfast. His name is Goofy.

We split counter service meals. Honestly folks, does an adult human need to eat a foot long hot dog or a bacon double cheeseburger with fries, dessert and a quart of Coke by themselves? By splitting counter service meals we can split a CS breakfast or early lunch, have dinner and split a late sandwich combo or something similar during evening EMH.

Goofy also uses snack credits for bottled water.

Goofy Pluto
04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Use TS credits for dinners only. Walt made a character that uses TS credits for breakfast. His name is Goofy.

I can understand what you are saying, but if we are mainly planning breakfasts for our sit down meals, does that mean the DDP would not be a good idea for us? I don't want to get the DDP just so we can do dinners. That might not be what we want to do. Thanks.

Goes4FastPass
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I can understand what you are saying, but if we are mainly planning breakfasts for our sit down meals, does that mean the DDP would not be a good idea for us? I don't want to get the DDP just so we can do dinners. That might not be what we want to do. Thanks.If you plan to make your sit down meals only breakfast the DDP may not represent a savings for you.

Regardless of how you feel about breakfast, it's great to have some sit down dinners. Even a character dinner inside the park like Crystal Palace is welcome rest - with good food and Winnie and his pals.

DizneyRox
04-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I can understand what you are saying, but if we are mainly planning breakfasts for our sit down meals, does that mean the DDP would not be a good idea for us? I don't want to get the DDP just so we can do dinners. That might not be what we want to do. Thanks.

The "value" of a TS credit is in the $25-$27 range I think. Using it for a lower cost meal means you are NOT getting good value. Character breakfasts are less than $25 if I'm not mistaken, except for meal like CRT, etc. but that's a 2 TS meal, meaning you're looking to spend somewhere between $50 and $54 to get good value.

Duchess99
04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Also, don't use 2 TS credits for any restaurant. Pay OOP. Again, money wise, you're wasting credits on restaurants that just aren't worth 2 TS credits.

I don't know...I went to California Grill and it was totally worth 2 TS. We got the bill and it was $163 for the food for just 2 of us! We paid out of pocket for drinks, but I think it was a great deal! There is no way we would've afforded that OOP.
I think you really need to plan out your meals to make DDP work to your advantage. It can be a lot of work, but I find that to be part of the fun!

SBETigg
04-04-2007, 04:04 PM
The "value" of a TS credit is in the $25-$27 range I think. Using it for a lower cost meal means you are NOT getting good value. Character breakfasts are less than $25 if I'm not mistaken, except for meal like CRT, etc. but that's a 2 TS meal, meaning you're looking to spend somewhere between $50 and $54 to get good value.

While I don't believe in worrying too much about the value of credits, this is a good general rule of thumb and using TS credits on all breakfast or even lunch meals is generally not getting your value's worth. If you're a dinner TS eater in general, it's probably a good plan for you. If not, maybe you would actually be better off without the plan.

mook3y
04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
While I don't believe in worrying too much about the value of credits, this is a good general rule of thumb and using TS credits on all breakfast or even lunch meals is generally not getting your value's worth. If you're a dinner TS eater in general, it's probably a good plan for you. If not, maybe you would actually be better off without the plan.

I agree.

For us, sit down dinners are not optional when were on vacation. We enjoy having a nice sit down meal every evening and are working our way throught the WS restaurants! :D Since that is an important part of our vacation, the DDP makes sense for us.

If you are more into having a big breakfast and not into sit down dinners, the DDP probably is not going to be a good deal for you.