PDA

View Full Version : NFL games outside of US

kakn7294
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I was wondering what others think of the NFL holding games in other countries. Personally, I don't like it. I don't think it's fair to the fans of the teams to take away a game like that. As a Steeler fan, it's hard enough to get tickets to a game - the season ticket waiting list is about 20 years long (seriously) and there are no tickets available for sale to the general public for individual games. You usually have to know someone or buy from a scalper or someplace like Ebay. Anyway, if they were to take a Steeler home game and send it overseas or to Mexico, that's one less game for Steeler fans here in Pittsburgh to get to attend. I know it brings in revenue to the NFL, but I still don't agree with it. And of course, my opinion doesn't matter to the NFL, but I want to know what you think!

Donald A
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I definitely see your point, I just found out today that I am not going to get season tickets next year for the Colts. Sorta bummed out about it, but I am a Browns fan first and foremost anyway. (Sorry kakn7294, but my wife is a diehard Steelers fan at least!)

I guess I would have a problem taking a regular season game overseas so I agree with you. Preseason, however, is OK in my opinion. It gets the NFL exposure and I am sure the season ticket holders are glad they don't have to pay full price to see 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th string players.

ibrowse17
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I agree. The NFL should limit these games to the pre-season, and keep home games during the regular season in the proper cities.:thumbsup:

darthmacho
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I dislike the whole idea, as long as it gives only certain teams those games. I feel like the Pats and their opponent will be greatly disadvantaged by the trip to China because of travel wear. It happend to the Yankees a year or two ago, and I'm complaining about it despite being a Red Sox fan.

If they want to have games in Mexico or China, pack up the entire NFL and have an entire pre-season week there so everyone has to take the trip. Or perhaps they could have the por-bowl there?

Donald A
04-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I dislike the whole idea, as long as it gives only certain teams those games. I feel like the Pats and their opponent will be greatly disadvantaged by the trip to China because of travel wear. It happend to the Yankees a year or two ago, and I'm complaining about it despite being a Red Sox fan.

If they want to have games in Mexico or China, pack up the entire NFL and have an entire pre-season week there so everyone has to take the trip. Or perhaps they could have the por-bowl there?

That is a very good point that I had overlooked.

JPL
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
While I understand the NFL wanting to expand to a more global market. I'm not a fan of any sport playing games overseas. Especially the NFL with the limited schedule they play a game in another country definately takes away from the US fans.

kakn7294
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
The reason that I asked is an article on NFL.com that says there will be a regular season game in London, England between the Dolphins and Giants on Oct 28. It also states that the Patriots - Seahawks pre-season game will be rescheduled as a regular season game in 2009. Is it really that profitable for the NFL? There has to be vast amounts of money spent for travel, accomodations, and food at the very least. I can't see how one game a year in England or any other country is going to make football fans of the entire country. I also agree with the point of wear and tear on the teams involved. We've all seen how difficult it is sometimes when the teams have short rest periods inbetween games. This past season they added the Thursday night games after Thanksgiving - some teams played on Sunday and then again on Thursday and it really took a toll on some players. And Donald A, your wife and I can be friends, but you and I are now mortal enemies!

Scar
04-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I copied this from an earlier thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=95937).

I've heard they will schedule the bye for both teams the week after. I don't mind it as a Giants fan because it's one less away game in a hostile environment. If I were the Dolphins (fans, management, and owners), I'd be pretty upset that I was losing a home game. I wonder how much they're going to be compensated?

goofhook
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I would not really like it if my Eagles played overseas, but I think this is just a slight test to see if they could still make money overseas. Also, I believe that they play rugby in England. So maybe they are trying to see if rugby fans like football?:confused:

RAIDER
04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
The question should the NFL teams play their major games overseas ..Then my answer is a firm NO ... Even though i am hoping to get tickets for the Miami game in London .I would not like it of my favourite soccer team was going to play a major league game in a foreign country .

I cant see why they dont do what they did in theh 90s in when they came to Europe and play either pre season or after season games . They pulled big crowds in then and thats when the NFL wasnt as popular :thumbsup: