PDA

View Full Version : Down Town Disney...yeah or nay?

First Mate Kate
04-02-2007, 01:31 AM
My last trip to WDW was sooo busy that we did not get a chance to go to Down town Disney. Did I miss much? Is it just shopping? I am totally clueless? Any info would be awesome. Thanks!

celebrationasheley
04-02-2007, 01:50 AM
:mickey: Yes mainly shopping and food, but it is very fun to walk around. A lot to see. But I would never go to dd over a park.

Ray C.
04-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Yeah! Downtown Disney is pretty much shopping, but the atmosphere is great. The little shops are great to browse even if you don't buy anything. At the Marketplace there is a small train, a carousel, and you can even rent boats down at the marina. There is also the Lego Imagination Center at the Marketplace, and your kids can build anything they desire outside on little work tables (thats if you have boys that are into legos). Pleasure Island is nightclubs, and the West Side is more shopping, but has a city feel to it. Again, the shops at the West Side are very cool and interesting, especially Starabilias. They have some great movie-related memorabilia. Then there is also Disney Quest, which is an indoor interactive theme park (read: video games). The admission is a little steep at 30+ per person, but great for a rainy day! You also have quite a few table service eateries to choose from such as the Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood.

LoriMistress
04-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Yes, there are a lot of shops. But they also have several great restraunts, Disney Quest, the Cirque Du SoleilŪ La NouBa, Paradise Island, etc. It wouldn't be bad to check out maybe when you first arrive at WDW or maybe later on during the evening after a visit at one the parks.

DizneyRox
04-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Pretty much just shopping. WIth all the merchandise being offered in every store on property the usefulness of shopping at DTD has greatly dimished.

We used to go so we could ship everything from the same store, but the benefits of that no longer exist. We spent all of 4 hours there on our last trip, probably less next time.

SBETigg
04-02-2007, 09:00 AM
It's a shopping and entertainment area. We skipped it last trip, too, but we have been there and will go back next trip. If time is short, better to spend it at the parks.

Caroleh
04-02-2007, 09:06 AM
We went there last year after we had eaten at Boma. We were staying at GF and had to go to AKL, so changed buses at DTD. We enjoyed just strolling though the shops and people watching. My DD(20) headed back to the resort, so it was just the DH and I enjoying ourselves. I don't know if I'd do it with kids though, it might cost too much!!!:blush:

Christine
04-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Personally I love DTD Marketplace.

When I am in the parks, I am too busy doing rides, shows, etc. to really shop. I use DTD as my "after hours" shopping time. When the parks close, I head straight down there. I like the "one stop shopping" of World of Disney. Plus the 10% AP discount helps too!:D

kakn7294
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually don't like DTD because it's usually much too crowded for my liking. I can put up with crowds in the parks but not at DTD. I don't even plan time to go there anymore - I can't see wasting time to go shopping when I could be in the parks.

dolphinmickey9170
04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Pretty much just shopping. WIth all the merchandise being offered in every store on property the usefulness of shopping at DTD has greatly dimished.

Personally I love DTD Marketplace.When I am in the parks, I am too busy doing rides, shows, etc. to really shop. I use DTD as my "after hours" shopping time. When the parks close, I head straight down there. I like the "one stop shopping" of World of Disney. Plus the 10% AP discount helps too!:D

This is so true....because you cannot get the discount at the park....:)

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 05:59 PM
DTD is fantastic, but do it after the parks have closed....it's really relaxing down there and a lot of neat shops to explore.

SgtTigger
04-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I say Yea to Downtown Disney.............

Why you ask.......

I like the market place.....
I can go through the Christmas store and look around at the great stuff... A lot they don't have in the parks.....

Out back you can take pictures with Snow Goofy and Mickey.......

I like to walk through the Art Of Disney.....

And I like to eat at Earl Of sandwich.... Very cheep sandwiches.......

:cop: :tigger:

disney323
04-03-2007, 09:52 AM
You must go at some point. We go once almost every trip. It is amazing just to walk through the stores and look at all the details (Hint look up), they have so many stores and places to eat. We just enjoy walking around and taking in the sights, watching the kids play in the water, looking at the large lego sculptures, Disney Art work in the gallery, etc... There is also the west side and the stores over there and the movie theater.

TIdoubleGR
04-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Yay!

I love DTD particularly for the atmosphere and great places to people watch. Lots of great Kodak moments, some unique shops, and there's something about Cirque that makes me feel giddy too...it's a lively place and a lot of fun to walk around and soak it all in, especially through Ghirardelli's window, soaking up a chocolate soda as well. :D

BellewanaB
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
There is SO MUCH TO DO in Downtown Disney!

When I lived down there I'd always go to Giradelli's for ice cream and sit outside and people watch.

Now, the Earl of Sandwich is the place to be- BEST sandwiches EVER (and I'm a Panerea Bread and Fresh City girl!)

Downtown Disney is great for if you rean out of passes or didn't get a hopper, it's a nice back-up. Also, if the weather is crummy, you have a ton of shops to hide in, you can head over to the West Side and sometimes sneak into Disney Quest on a discount (suring the off seasons) or learn a magic trick at the magic store, or even catch a movie at AMC.

DON'T recommend Bongos, though. They had multiple healt code violations when I lived down there. May have cleaned up their act since then but I still envision the rats from the Muppets Take Manhattan making my food.

GenieOfPA
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
its primarily shopping but there are also restaurants too. if you get a chance to go to DTD for lunch, stop by Earl of Sandwich. they have the best sandwiches EVER!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Love DTD!! :thumbsup:

Goofy Pluto
04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
I concur. DTD is a must for us. It's a really neat atmosphere, lots of great shops, and Ghiradelli's! :eat:

mrsgaribaldi
04-04-2007, 04:03 PM
We go there just for the Earl of Sandwich sometimes. Delicious:thumbsup:

dumbo ears
04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
i say yeah. it has shopping but also has lots of restaurants, shows and the virgin record show which is a must for me. another good place you should visit is the boardwalk. i love the boardwalk more than DTD because it is homier to me and not as crowded. hope this helps

LoriMistress
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
May have cleaned up their act since then but I still envision the rats from the Muppets Take Manhattan making my food.
That's hysterical.

MinnieMommie
04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I love DD :thumbsup: I make a point of visiting (more than one time) on each trip. I love the happy feeling and love to watch all the people. There is something for all tastes and all ages. I really love the entire experience. There are many good food, shopping and entertainment options. I am a movie goer and we always see a movie at the AMC each trip - really nice seating and sound system. Love the Virgin record and christmas shop as well. And no trip to Disney is complete without having a treat at Ghirardellis and enjoying it while sitting at a table by the water. I highly recommend. :mickey:

mttafire
04-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Personally I love DTD Marketplace.

When I am in the parks, I am too busy doing rides, shows, etc. to really shop. I use DTD as my "after hours" shopping time. When the parks close, I head straight down there. I like the "one stop shopping" of World of Disney. Plus the 10% AP discount helps too!:D
We love DTD..It is usually very difficult to shop in the parks and carry the merchandise around. WE ALWAYS do our Disney shopping at DTD, I recommend it!!:mickey:

terri.m
04-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I popped over there the night before our early morning flight left and wished we had gone before. We stayed at POFQ so it would have been an easy ride over for dinner instead of eating at the food court!

TiggerRPh
04-07-2007, 03:19 AM
:mickey: Yes mainly shopping and food, but it is very fun to walk around. A lot to see. But I would never go to dd over a park.

I dunno....the World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy are nice....I agree that I wouldn't go over a park but we always make sure we go there during a trip.

Kairi_7378
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I thought that DTD was a nice way to wind down after spending the day in a park (Epcot, in my case.) Although there are nice stores in the theme parks, there is soooo much more selection at DTD. The Christmas store there is great. We also liked taking the boat between POR and DTD. It's a nice diversion if you wrap up in the parks early. Not sure if I could get DH to waste precious park time there, though!

Donald A
04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I like DTD. However, it does get crowded especially on nights when the parks close early. In the off-season, DTD and EPCOT is pretty much all that is open at the WDW resort after 7PM.

JMTStone
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
If you have older kids (preteen), Disney Quest is a great place to take them.