PDA

View Full Version : Ohio to Orlando

tinkerbell615
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
My family will be traveling from Ohio to Disney by car. DH usually drives straight through without stopping for the night, but believe we might change that this year. We are thinking about stopping. We would like to drive about 10-12 hours and then stop for the night... somewhere near the end of GA or the top of FL. We will then finish the drive in the morning.

I would like to know if someone can please recommend a location and hotel/suite that we might be able to stop for the night. We are looking for something clean and reasonable that we can sleep 6 people.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

faline
04-02-2007, 06:05 AM
It's been a number of years since we've driven to Florida so I don't have any suggestions for you.

Hopefully, someone who has traveled your route recently will be along soon with some additional information!

Jenemmy
04-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi neigbor:wave: I aIm just a little north of you, in the Dayton area. We usually drive to WDW, and I know that from here, Atlanta marks about the halfway point and I think if it were me, I would stop right on the other side of Atlanta. I know there is a long stretch on 75 from about Valdosta well into Florida where there just doesn't seem to be much at all. I remember being desperate to make a pit stop once in that area and having to wait and wait --LOL.

I am sure someone with a lot more Georgia knowledge than me will pop along before too long.

January-2007
04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Well, we never drove from Ohio to Orlando, but rather from Maryland to Orlando. I grew up in a family of five and we always stayed at the Embassy Suites. One time there were 6 of us, and I believe we stayed there then as well. We would stay in Jacksonville, FL. What's great about this hotel is the free breakfast. Lots of hot entrees and little stuff like bagels and fruit you can take with you. All you can eat. That was a perk with my family because I have two older brothers who were bottomless pits. Good luck with your decision.

Oh, and since you have 6 people you would probably have to get two rooms here, but we stayed at the Sleep Inn when just DH and I drove in October, and loved it. Very nice hotel. Coming down we stayed near Savannah, GA, and upon return, somewhere in SC. They have a little breakfast there too, you can make your own waffles, lots of fun!

Happy planning!:mickey:

Michigander
04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
We travel from Michigan and we leave our home about 3:00 a.m. because you get the best driving done during the early morning hours. Anyway we stop in Merritta Georiga at the sleep Inn and it's really nice not to costly and it has a hot tub to sit in and work out the knotts and stress from the day long drive. We get in there about 4:30 or so we swim and order pizza delivered right to our room and we chill for the rest of the night. They have free breakfast and it's a real nice one too! Have fun picking a place and enjoy it. It does make the drive way better if you stop. :mickey:

Bruegge
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi,

What.... no kings island.... look at all the gas you'll save ...lol

Lived in Florence ky for 30 years. Family is still there.

Lived in Valdosta GA for 3 yrs. We made the trip several times.

When we went to and from Valdosta to NKY we would stop at Dalton GA just 30 miles inside GA. Nice row of hotels just up on the right side as you head south. EXit 333 and turn right then right again.

I know you want to get farther... But it's a good back up if you have a sicky or feel like you NEED to stop sooner.

Valdosata is a bit of a push for the first day but it has several options just off the expressway (Yea, everyone else say's "interstate") it is exit #18. Like a previous poster ....40 miles either way is NADA..... Several spots... country inn, quality Inn (old) a few real no names.. and a fairfield and holiday inn. Texas roadhouse, Red lobster, hooters and applebees local < 1 mile away

Exit 50 or so is a town called Tifton a couple of budget..tels Applebees is the hightlight in the food dept. A little tricky to navigate... side streets wrap around and stuff.

Exit 100 is Cordelle (watermelon capital of the world) Again a few hotels and food options close by.

I don't know how many times you have driven to Fl....

AVOID Atlanta near rush hours at all cost.

Knoxville was a bummer too. Watch the clock and plan meals or stops to lessen delays around those areas.

Feel free to drop a private message if I can be of more service

Scott

Scott C
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I also live on the Ohio River, in Evansville IN to be exact, so our travel times should be pretty close. Your 10-12 hours should get you pretty close to the GA/FL line. We really enjoyed a Hampton Inn just inside GA -- I believe that it was the first exit, but it might have been the second. What a night, we stayed at the MK until close and I wanted to make the GA line yet that evening......we made it! Hampton Inns have almost always given us a great experience and like enjoy their breakfast a little more than some of the other chains.

Have a great trip
Scott C

edwards2301
04-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I would have to agree with the Hampton Inn. We just got back from driving to florida for spring break. I think the Hampton Inn they are talking about is at Exit #5 Lake Park Georgia. There is an outlet mall there too if you want to do some shopping. Hope this helps.:mickey:

Scott C
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes, I believe that is the one I was talking about.

Thanks
Scott C

tinkerbell615
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi,

What.... no kings island.... look at all the gas you'll save ...lol

Scott

I am beginning to believe that Kings Island is more expensive than Disney these days.

We have driven several times but always through the night. We really want to get pretty close to Florida.

What do you recommend?

Bruegge
04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
lived in Valdosta for 3 years.

Valdosta Ga is exit 18 ( 18 miles from the florida border) just east off 75

The Hampton everyone is talking about is at exit 5 Lake park Ga

You will have a few more dining options in valdosta.. all inside a mile of the expressway... Exit 18 has a Mall, red lobster, Texas roadhouse, Applebees, Hooters, sonny's bbq and a good Japanese place called Mori (off norman dr.... just on the other side of the mall)

Exit 5 has a sonny's bbq also .. not sure what else was there except they do have an OLD outlet mall.

I stayed at the country inns and suites while waiting for movers to finish up in 2004 (exit 18 valdosta)It was new and nice.

Fairfield and holiday inns are close the Quality Inn is old but cheap .

drop me a pm if you need more info

Scott

BashfulMom
04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I picked up a book at the Cracker Barrel (in Milford, OH) called "The Next Exit" and I found this to be very helpful in locating a place to stay or someplace to eat. They even have a website where you can purchase an electronic version for your PDA.

Have a great trip. My family and I are making the journey in July and I can't wait.

CleveSJM
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I've driven from Ohio to Orlando many times but we usually drive straight thru and/or go I77.

Look for a suites hotel. Amerisuites is great. I think they are changing to Hyatt Places. Fairfield Inn also has affordable Suites in some of their properties, same with HI Express. They'll comfortablely sleep 6. Or get two rooms somewhere. Use Orbitz/Expedia to find the hotel and then check out the hotel site and call for the best rate.

Also, I'd say still drive through the night if you can. That always works best for us. Put yourself through Atlanta about 2am and it's downhill (literally and figuratively) from there.

Have a fun, safe trip!

MOJoe
04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
You might want to pick a place and make reservations. On our last car trip from MO, we started looking for a motel in Valdosta. There is some sort of water park there which filled up all the hotel rooms. We picked up one of those travel guides you find at gas stations and started calling. We ended up driving and driving well into Florida before we called a motel that had a vacancy. It was after 2 a.m. and we got their last room. A lady followed us in the door and was denied a room. :(
We fly now, but I'll never drive again without a destination for the evening.

tinkerbell615
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all of your help. I am going to start researching and making some phone calls.

Thanks a bunch to all of you!

Bruegge
04-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I picked up a book at the Cracker Barrel (in Milford, OH) called "The Next Exit" and I found this to be very helpful in locating a place to stay or someplace to eat. They even have a website where you can purchase an electronic version for your PDA.

Have a great trip. My family and I are making the journey in July and I can't wait.

Yea, almost forgot there is a crackerbarrel off exit 18 (valdosta) also...

scott

Bruegge
04-05-2007, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=MOJoe;1245795]we started looking for a motel in Valdosta. There is some sort of water park there which filled up all the hotel rooms. . :(
QUOTE]

Wild Adventures theme park ... cute place ..dated but cute... has a water park, 4 or 5 ok rollercoasters, the kiddie area is really worn down..

Really makes you appreciate Disney's dedication to maintanace.

..Small zoo area also... the place started out as a petting zoo years ago.

I'ts off exit 13 west about 4 miles. I guess it could/did cause a lot or ressies for local motels.

Scott

Jenemmy
04-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I am beginning to believe that Kings Island is more expensive than Disney these days.

It's getting close, isn't it?? We usually get season's passes, but just haven't done it yet this year.