PDA

View Full Version : Walt- The Man Behind the Myth!

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I wish there were a thousand stars, bells, and whistles I could attach to the title of this thread to ensure it gets everyone's attention!

I just finished watching "Walt- The Man Behind the Myth", a DVD documentary I bought on my WDW trip a few weeks ago.

I am still drying my tears! This was the BEST documentary I have ever seen on Walt Disney! I have read many books, seen many tv specials and bonus footage reels on him. But this BLEW THEM ALL AWAY!

It is narrated by Dick Van Dyke, and has interviews from his daughter, his niece and nephew, his grandchildren, his in-laws...it's spectacular! To hear the grandchildren recount the nights they slept over at Disneyland in the apartment above the firehouse! To hear their recollection of his passing! To see video never seen before of him in his family setting! Absolutely amazing!!

It also had interviews from the "nine old men" as well as various historians, etc.

I cannot stress this enough...any Disney fan should have this video! You will not regret it! I bought mine in DTD, but I see that it is also available online. It was made in 2001, and I don't know how I have missed it until now. If you have missed it too, rectify this asap!

If you like One Man's Dream, you will be absolutely astounded by this video!!:mickey:

Speedy1998
03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I got it for Christmas. Did you notice that his Grandson Walter Elias Disney Miller directed it?

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I got it for Christmas. Did you notice that his Grandson Walter Elias Disney Miller directed it?

Yes!!! What a wonderful Christmas present!! I know a couple of people who would probably be thrilled to receive this this year! Great idea, thanks!

JPL
03-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Definately a great documentary. If you liked Man Behind the Myth. I would highly recommend Frank and Ollie about the lengendary animators :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
03-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Definately a great documentary. If you liked Man Behind the Myth. I would highly recommend Frank and Ollie about the lengendary animators :thumbsup:

I agree Jeff. I have both of these on VHS- and have enjoyed them for years now. I may have to get them on DVD now!

Another one to add to the list is "Ub Iwerks: The Hand Behind the Mouse." Also excellent! I have that on VHS as well- not sure if it's been released on DVD. Worth checking out.

Ian
04-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Straying away from the video for a moment, if you haven't yet read Neal Gabler's biography of Walt, Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination, you need to get up from wherever you are and go buy it now.

It's fantastic. Gabler spent TEN YEARS researching the book in the Disney archives and had 100% unrestricted access to everything. He read every single piece of correspondence that Walt sent or received during his entire career!

Terrific book!

Christine
04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks Jeff, Linda, and Ian for the other recommendations. I will definitely check those out!

PirateLover
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
We picked up this DVD on our last trip, and were also very moved by it. For some reason, we did not expect it to be as good as it was...:mickey:

Disney Babe
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I am definitely going to get "Walt-The Man Behind the Dream"! If I don't get it myself, I'm putting it on my birthday wish list. So I hope to have it soon!

Does anyone know if it is available through Amazon?

Christine
04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know if it is available through Amazon?

It sure is...hope you get to see it soon! Happy birthday in advance:party:

poeticeclipse
04-02-2007, 08:13 PM
I got the book as a gift for Christmas that corresponds to the movie. A few weeks later I HAD to buy the movie and I LOVED it. It's amazing. If you appreciate anything that Walt Disney has every done then you'll love the documentary.

caryrae
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes that is an amazing documentary I have had for a while and the part where they talk about the passing of Walt always gets to me. I don't know if there ever be anyone like Walt Disney ever again. Thank God his parents decided to have kids. I can't imagine life without Mr. Disney.

murphy1
04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the review! I have been wondering if it is good, since you mentioned you picked up the copy. I will be at DTD in a few weeks, I'll check it out.