PDA

View Full Version : Souveneirs From World Showcase

GOOFY4U
03-31-2007, 01:22 PM
MY wife and i are going to WDW April 15-21-2007. First time in 20 years for us, we would like to collect something from each country in the World Showcase. We would even like them to all be the same type of thing. We though of shot glasses for example for our bar but not sure if thats possible. Do you have any suggestions

GOOFY4U

CraniumCommando
03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
One year my mom and I collect flag pins from each country. She put them on her hat, and I made a map of EPCOT and framed mine.

Bringonthemouse!
03-31-2007, 02:17 PM
One year my mom and I collect flag pins from each country.

We bought pins also. They are in the shape of Mickey ears and we placed them in a small shadow box to display at home.

pook@wdw
03-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Our collections, other than pins, consist of getting all the maps, porgrams, time guides, and transportation guides that I can find. I basically cut them all apart and make a 24x24 map of the entire WDW property. I mount it on colored posterboard or paper covered cardboard. Then I seal it and frame it. I tried to have it copied for multiple framing, bu no one would do it w/the Disney name/logo on it.
So, I make each one individually. Which makes each one special!:heart:

MargaretMessler
03-31-2007, 03:58 PM
One year my mom and I collect flag pins from each country. She put them on her hat, and I made a map of EPCOT and framed mine.

I was thinking of collecting the Mickey flag pins from every country and then trying to get some nice photos of WS, then framing an enlargement with the pins along the sides for each country. We'll see how I do. Wish me luck. :grouphug:

AliceinDisney
03-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Get one of those passport book thingies. Or a tee shirt that has all the countries in the World Showcase on it.

AwPhooey
03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Great topic!

On my first trip (1988), I purchased little flag pins from each of the countries (this was before Disney was big into pin trading). A few trips back, I bought the Figment pins from each country (he's dressed up in clothing from each country and is holding the country's flag).

On other trips, I've purchased a piece/bag of candy from each country, the World Showcase spinner pin, t-shirts/articles of clothing, etc.

AuntDJ
04-01-2007, 03:37 PM
My favorite thing from the countries is the plush mickey's from each country. They are $ 9-13 dollars each. There are not just Mickey's either, my most favorite is Minnie in a Kimono, I think she is beautiful! But I have seen goofy, Donald and Pluto's as well.

DJ

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I like to buy a drink from every country or as they call it "drinking around the world" and take pics of our adventure as each country stop, the pics get funnier the further you go....

BellewanaB
04-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm all about "drinking around the world" and "chocolate around the world".

Another thing we've done is taken pictures of various peices or artitecture/landscape from each contry, like a close up, and then printed high quality copies of them in different sizes in black and white. We then went and got those shelf things you put on your wall and picture frames of different sizes and put all the pictures in there. It make for an awesome, personalized piece of artwork for you home and you can continue to update it with every trip (and stump your disney geek friends at dinner parties!)

Other things I've heard of are taking pictures with cast member from every country and asking them what they like most about their country and making a collage or scapbook with that.

I love the music and performers and collect CDs fromt them (go MoROCKIN!)

GenieOfPA
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
last trip with my gf we went to japan and they have a shop inside where you can pick an oyster out of a tank and they will open it infront of you and you get to keep the pearl that is inside! its fun and a surprise each time you do it to see what color and size you get! and for an additional fee you can have the pearl attached to a piece of jewelry to be worn. its really cool! :thumbsup:

Crow
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I like to buy a drink from every country or as they call it "drinking around the world" and take pics of our adventure as each country stop, the pics get funnier the further you go....
i work on this....
i did shot glasses for awhile. then i was into pins
the drinks and snacks are good, but dont seem to last.
i guess pictures and pins.

MsMin
04-04-2007, 12:25 AM
I like Christmas ornaments, that way once a year I take them out and remember my trip.
I always get several from disney but this past trip decided to get one from each country. I started in Mexico, then got a margarita and remembered in Italy I forget to get them:( That was on our last day too. So now I have to go back.
Don't know if you celebrate with a tree, but if you do it's fun to collect different ones. You have to get a pickle in Germany.

poeticeclipse
04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I've done the flag pin thing! It's awesome!

And my new idea is to collect postcards. It's cheap and is super fun to look at to remind you of each country. You could even create a mini scrapbook (if you're into that thing) after you get home and then put the postcards as the title pages followed by your pictures of you and your family at certain country landmarks or trying on the fun clothing!

Kairi_7378
04-07-2007, 11:50 AM
We took pictures of all of the topiaries and gardens in each country. We're going to mount them in a collage frame. (We were going to do the pins, but it seems like EVERYONE does the pins so we wanted to be a little different ;) ) I also like to do the ornaments. Even if you don't celebrate with a tree, you can hang them on those ornament stands or on a shelf.

disneynarula
04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
I also do Christmas ornaments. Our house is not really big and I don't have room for knick knack things.

I love pulling out the ornaments every year and remembering past trips.

battle beast
04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I got a picture of me and Stitch, his Autograph, and four pins framed. IT's really cool. If you could do that with the world pins, and a photo of a character in costume, hat might be neat-o!

WDWfeelslikehome
04-16-2007, 07:46 AM
You could get one of the small (6") characters holding the country's flag. This would give you a small international coalition to display.:D

CM~Mserrano
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
One of my favorites has always been chocolate from around the world, just because foreugn chocolate tastes so much better than american (less wax).

Since I've just recently turned 21 though, the drinking thing is by far the most fun with pictures. Grab a CM or two to be in the picture with you and the memories, although you might not remember them that night, will certainly be good when you get the picutres developed or onto your computer!:marg:

LizLovesDiz
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
When I finally decide to start scrapbooking all of our trips,I have pictures of every country,with me and DD and the foods from the countries,and we put on the hats,etc.I also try to take pictures of the cast members. :mickey:

Aggie97
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Photos of you trying on different hats in each country are fantastic and sometimes funny. I'll never forget my husband in the Anne of Green Gables hat w/ red braided hair in Canada. :blush:

angedeaile
04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I love the idea of collecting Christmas ornaments! :thumbsup: to the folks that mentioned that!

I decided to make that my thing now :)

disneymother
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
How about jewelry or food? I think many of the countries sell jewelry, and there are lots of take home food items in each country too.

wendy*darling
04-30-2007, 06:22 PM
We though of shot glasses for example for our bar but not sure if thats possible.

Shot glasses are most definitely possible! :thumbsup:
You might also find beer mugs or wine glasses.
And you could pick up bar coasters from each country too. I am sure they would have some for sale, as well as the "used" kind right at the various bars.

If you're into scrap booking or making collage frames- then photos in each country with a cast member (from that country), in a hat (there are some really cool ones- I love the photo of my DH and teen sons in the Viking hats with the blond braids :D !), with some part of the unique landscaping, etc. Add a few pins or other items you find and it makes for a very nice souvenir.

The ornaments are everywhere. And a great way to bring back the memories.

There's so much to choose- it's hard to settle in on one thing.
Have fun deciding!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I like the ornament idea....We've done the hats(fun!), and DD and her friend took pix with a guyCM from every country;)...We were thinking this time about taking a small plush toy like Mickey with us, and photographing him in a scene in each country....:wave:

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
How about Mickey antenna toppers w/ the flags? They look the same as the pins.

I'm a collector and I plan on doing this next time!

k_reile
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
this isn't a suggestion but one of the last times I was at Disney...I got a minnie mouse wearing a kimono in Japan...I loved that doll.:mickey:

ktflisa
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Soooo.... Goofy4U, what did you end up doing? Just curious. I have so many photos of Epcot, but I've never organized them to see if I have good shots of each country. I also like to take photos of each shop, and even the kiosks outside each country. And I'm pretty sure after 4 trips to Food & Wine Fest I have covered the eating and drinking around the world! :beer:

snifflesmcg
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Ok, this is a bit cheesy but we did this last year and it was kinda cool. In each land they have one of those pressed penny machines. It's a super cheap souvineer and Disney even sells books that hold the pressed pennies. My boyfriend and I have made a habit of collecting them at various places now.
Thank you to those who suggest the christmas ornaments....good job. I think I might do that as well. Great idea.