PDA

View Full Version : DVC questions

crazykids
03-31-2007, 12:56 PM
My family & I are really considering buying into the DVC. The original plan was to go through resale & either buy into boardwalk or beach club because we really like the convenience of the location. After just watching the DVC video, now we're thinking about the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really like the looks of what they're planning, especially the new pool area. Does anyone have any opinions on which resort would be better? We have a family of 5 including 3 very small kids, so we would need to buy enough points for a 2 bedroom. Will it be really hard to get into another resort other than our home resort? Finally, how is it if you wanted to use your points for a vacation other than Disney? Sorry for all of the questions - just wanted to make sure of some things before we make our final decision.

disneyfan1124
03-31-2007, 01:14 PM
IMHO you can't go wrong with AKV! There is something for everyone, a relaxing vacation for Mom and Dad, and lots of animals and kid interaction for young ones. The pool at AKL is awesome and the AKV is going to be wonderful as well.

As far as booking at places at other than home resort, we have never once stayed at our home resort, and we've never had trouble getting into the resort we wanted. You have to be sure to book exactly 7 mos in advance for the best shot at getting the resort of choice.

We have never used points anywhere but WDW-it is honestly our home away from home. We have no kids, and won't. We love all that Disney has to offer, and there is always something new! Perhaps in years to come we'll use points to venture out more?

Either way, you'll not regret your choice to join DVC. The flexibility is perfect!

Ed
03-31-2007, 04:34 PM
As of a couple of weeks ago, the only resorts that DVC was selling were Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom. For any of the other resorts, you'd have to go the resale route.

We were originally figuring on adding more points to our existing SSR membership, but after seeing and hearing what the AKL villas will be like, we changed our minds and bought into that.

From reading a few threads on the site, it appears that there are exactly two schools of thought regarding Animal Kingdom Lodge; people either LOVE IT :thumbsup: or they HATE IT. :mad: No middle ground. If you are not already familiar with the resort and its overall environment, it would be best for you to spend some time there before making your final decision on buying into the villas.

We've never had a problem getting into resorts other than our home resort, but as was mentioned it's best to get your ressies in as soon as the booking "window" opens - - 7 months ahead of your arrival for non-home-resorts, and 11 months for your home resort.

We, too, have never used our points for any non-Disney resorts. I'm sure someone who has done so will chime in soon with advice.

caseyis8
03-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I just talked to the nice lady that is trying to sell us DVC and she stated that we could buy into any of the DVC resorts right now, but we would have the longest terms with SSR or AKV. Just thought that I would let you know. :mickey:

DisneyGiant
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I just talked to the nice lady that is trying to sell us DVC and she stated that we could buy into any of the DVC resorts right now, but we would have the longest terms with SSR or AKV. Just thought that I would let you know. :mickey:

Yes, and in addition to the longer time frame - Disney makes it soooooo easy to buy it right from them. Basically all they do is a credit check on you, send you papers to sign, with clearly marked areas where to sign, and you are in! No closing costs either if you use their financing (at least that's how it was when I purchased). Most economical option is to have your payments taken out of your checking account or whatever account you want to use thru direct debit. They take the dues payments out the same way, on a monthly basis.

I got the mortgage for 10 years.

Funny, since I bought in 3 years ago, its just a normal debit I have - I forget about it - so when we go to WDW every year - I get the illusion that we're going for free - since I don't pay out of pocket! Silly, huh? :D

Tinkermom
04-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Just to clarify...

The only resort Disney is selling right now is AKLV. I spoke with one of the DVC guides while at WDW a week and a half ago and he says there are some points left at SSR but I believe they are add-on points only.

You CAN purchase at any of the other resorts but this would be RE-SALE only. You can get these points either through places like the Timeshare Store or through Disney. However, Disney only has a limited amount of the re-sale resorts in stock. These would be the ones that Disney buys back during their "Right of First Refusal" time. You may have to be put on a waiting list if you choose to buy re-sale from Disney as they may not have in stock the resort you are wanting to purchase.

FiggyFan
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Tinkermom is right. We have been on DVC's wait list for a BCV add-on since January. No word yet, but we are trying :blush: to be patient.