PDA

View Full Version : What happens on the Boardwalk after dark?

SignguyTom
03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
We visited the boardwalk last Spring long enough to eat (and drink :beer: ) at the Big River Grille. They were just preparing the Midway games when we were leaving.

We have since purchased a DVC membership at the Boardwalk Villas. I was just wondering what all happens after dark. I have heard that it can get pretty loud and crazy :thumbsup: but I honestly have no idea what to expect. Can somebody describe what it's like after the sun goes down...?

PrincessJessica
03-30-2007, 06:12 PM
The Boardwalk after dark might get loud but I wouldn't consider it crazy. It gets congested after Epcot closes and the family bicycles weaving in and out can be annoying but it's basically a tame crowd compared to City Walk or anything in Orlando.

BW Fan
03-30-2007, 07:19 PM
What happens is Disney magic! At other resorts, you drag yourself back at the end of a busy day. At Boardwalk, getting back to the resort just continues the fun. Whether it is the boardwalk activities, a :beer: at ESPN club or Big River Grille, or even at the gift shop to take back to the room. The overridding issue is the atmosphere of fun, fun, fun. At the start of the day at the baker, any time during the day with all the entertainment venues, or a very nice end of the day at the various clubs, BoardWalk cannot be topped.

Maleficent's Dad
03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
The Boardwalk is great fun - and no "free entertainment" happens until after 6 PM.

That being said, things never get out of control and too loud. We've stayed in the BWV numerous times, and many times with a BW "view." Never has the noise been so loud that sleep was a problem.

At night, there are mini shows - magicians, jugglers, etc., who entertain passerbys with their blend of show and comedy. It's a lot of fun and great for all ages. They often require audience participation which adds to the fun. The Boardwalk is good fun at night - just watch out for those surrey bikes (you'll normally hear the bell warnings! ;) ).

watch4pixiedust
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I think it also might depend on when you are there. Admittedly we have only been there once, and it was in sept which is known to be less busy and crowded all around, but it was empty, and all the Midway-type things were closed. When we walked into the ESPN Club for dinner (it was probably betwn 5 and 6pm), we were seated in a room where they were taping a sports show, and there were people at only 5-6 tables(including us). I do understand that this is not the norm, as I said, I think the "season" you're there makes a difference. My sister and her family were there at a busier time of the yr, and they enjoyed it very much.

thejens
03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
I went last April and certainly did not find it wild and crazy. In fact, I was disappointed. The carnival games were ridiculously expensive and I didn't really see alot of free "action." I go to the real Boardwalk in Ocean City New Jersey every year, so maybe I am too picky!

disney323
03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
The boardwalk is similar to the real thing. Not alot of crowds, but you will find larger groups of people gathered watching the entertainers. When it starts to turn to night is when, in various locations and times you may see a juggler, magician, musical treats, etc...

There can also be lots of fun at the dueling piano bar or at espn club (They often have live broadcast from there stage)

We sometimes enjoy walking over to the beach club for an icecream sunday and then taking it back and sit and watch the people or entertainers.

Lots of easy to enjoy good fun, Not to loud or busy.

Ray C.
04-01-2007, 03:52 AM
go to the real Boardwalk in Ocean City New Jersey every year, so maybe I am too picky!

Finally! New Jersey gets some recognition! Haha.

Back on topic. Season is a big factor with The Boardwalk. I was there tonight and the crowds were of a fair size at around 9pm. There are plenty of entertainers when there are crowds to entertain. There is one gentleman who pedals around a piano-bike while playing classic midway tunes as well as requests on occasion. In addition to him, there is almost always a vaudeville type performance. Whether it be a traveling salesman or a hobo street performer, they always seem to draw a huge crowd. You know when they are around when you see the people gathered in a semi-circle and you hear abundant laughter and old time arcade music.