PDA

View Full Version : Is Disney clean?

Disney Yankee
03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I know this is a siily subject but will people please share their opinions if you think Disney World is clean or not.I personally think it`s clean.:mickey:

DVC2004
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I think it's super clean for the most part. We live about ten minutes away from a Six Flags and boy are they worlds apart! Only once can I recall seeing a garbage can overflowing at WDW. Sadly I see a garbage can overflowing at Six Flags just about every visit (among other things like gum, peeling paint, etc).

Jimenyfan
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I think its very clean but I also dont look for dirt. I have seen trash cans overflowing but thats been during the busiest times of the year. I just try to enjoy my time when I'm at disney.

Marker
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I'd say it's definitely cleaner than the competition, but, not as clean has it could be, and as it has been in the past.

Jasper
03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I would agree that WDW is as clean as any tourist attraction you will find. Granted at any time you might find a spot that needs attention but our experience has been that those are few and far between.

JPL
03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
While Disney is still clean it is not as clean as it use to be in the past before some of the budget cuts a while back during the Eisner Era. While still clean it's just as pristine as it use to be. It is much easy to find the flaws now than it was in the past and they are becoming easier to spot every year.

hope23
03-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I sure think so! The facts that they remove all of their trash from underground accesses so that people won't have to see trash when they're walking around and that they don't sell gum on-site so it won't get dropped on the ground and make marks sure tells me they pay attention to detail!

LoriMistress
03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Their one of the most cleanest parks ever. That's what Walt Disney belived in. Whenever DH and I go to a non-disney amusement park we ALWAYS complain about how dirty the park is.

One time DH, my cousin Bobby (who's a huge Disney fan like myself), and myself were at Six Flags in Southern California. And besides having to wait in long lines (they don't have FP), but the park as disgusting. In fact, at one point, one section of the park smelled like fresh vomit!!!! Plus, that day was warm as well, so you know how great that place was. And on top if it, their restrooms and restraunts were disgusting. Piles of trash everywhere (and the restraunt was DEAD!!!) And there was a six feet long puddle of water that no one who worked there did about. And throughout the day all we continued to say was how dirty the park was and how Walt would have never let a park get this bad! No wonder why Six Flags are going bankrucpt.

tink2006
03-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I personally think, compared to their competition, WDW is very clean. That said, is there room for improvement? You bet.

scottgr
03-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I think it is very clean. You always see people sweeping up and clean all over the place:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
03-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I'd say it's definitely cleaner than the competition, but, not as clean has it could be, and as it has been in the past.

i agree with this one. last visit WDW was not as tidy as my 95 trip. the 95 trip the grounds were immaculate, with not even a spec of dirt to be found. last trip it was pretty clean, but there was plenty of trash, food, and wrappers to be found. still cleaner than any other theme parks, though.

Jasper
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
While Disney is still clean it is not as clean as it use to be in the past before some of the budget cuts a while back during the Eisner Era. While still clean it's just as pristine as it use to be. It is much easy to find the flaws now than it was in the past and they are becoming easier to spot every year.

You know, I have been hearing people say this for a long time and frankly I just haven't noticed it to be any worse than it ever was. I wonder if this might be because we have all heard the talk about how clean WDW is for so long that now we have unrealistic expectations.

Of course, I will also admit that we VERY RARELY go during the peak seasons. Obviously it is easier to make things look good when the pressure is not as strong. Plus, we are there when a great deal of the maintainance is going on so things are always freshly painted and such when we are there.

TexasPrincessAurora
03-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree it is not as immaculate as it has been in the past, it is still head and shoulders above any other park in the world. Everything is always clean and neat, even if it is not perfect. I feel like there is more pride in taking care of the place...and maybe more pressure to do so as well, due to reputation. Hopefully it always remains this way.

mudpuppysmom
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I live near both Idlewild and Kennywood here and I must say that Disney is a total 180 from both of these parks!! We frequent Idlewild more often (it gets us out of the house and DS likes their water slides), but it is just a glorified carnival if you ask me.

Disney is like going to heaven when we go!

kakn7294
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM
For the most part, I find it amazingly clean, especially when you consider the vast numbers of people who trek through on a daily basis.

Ghost * Hostess
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I vote for clean. Just figure out how many people visit Disney World each day. We have never experienced a problem not even with the bathrooms.

GrumpyFan
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
As many others have said, it's definitely MUCH cleaner than the competition, but could always use some improvement. Personally, I can't recall having ever seen a trashcan overflowing or excessive amount of trash anywhere on-property. Usually, when I've seen a "dirty" part, it was quite minor.

Willowwind
03-30-2007, 05:54 PM
It's pretty clean, as far as amusement park go. I've NEVER had a problem at WDW. :thumbsup:

I have had issues at Disneyland in the early-mid 90's. I don't think I'll ever forget the mental picture of green slime covering the beautiful white marble statues of Snow White and Co. One of my girlfriends who is a DLR AP holder says that it's gotten much better since I was last there.

WEDTOPIA
03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Everbody , .... go check out your local roadways , shopping centers , parks , neighborhoods ,towns , amusement parks , and any other spot you can think of. Then go to WDW and compare.
For a place that handles over 40 million turns per year, with some of the messiest slobs on the planet among them , yah , it's pretty darn clean.

:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
It's not as clean as it used to be but compared to other parks I've been to, it's spotless :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
03-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I think I could probably eat off the ground. It is so beautiful.......:cloud9:

35 days!!

kadesha
03-30-2007, 07:47 PM
i think it's very clean! The only problem I've ever seen is some overflowing trash cans. Which is to be expected, it's impossible to stay on top of everything ALL the time! But Disney does a much better job than any other parks I've ever been to. :thumbsup:

dumbo ears
03-30-2007, 10:46 PM
the cleanest parks I have ever been to

mttafire
03-30-2007, 11:06 PM
As an adult ive been going to Disneyland and Disney World since 90. IMHO, They BOTH are as clean as ever! It seems odd that people would "look" for problems. When we are there all we notice is MAGIC and YES a VERY clean park!:thumbsup:

mttafire
03-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Everbody , .... go check out your local roadways , shopping centers , parks , neighborhoods ,towns , amusement parks , and any other spot you can think of. Then go to WDW and compare.
For a place that handles over 40 million turns per year, with some of the messiest slobs on the planet among them , yah , it's pretty darn clean.

100% agreed..:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
03-31-2007, 03:35 AM
It's extremely clean. When I think about its huge size, I realize what a massive job it is to keep it clean, and I'm very impressed. Of course, there has been a few instances over the years where minor issues have occured, but it's certainly nothing worth complaining about. :mickey:

MinnieMommie
03-31-2007, 07:22 AM
yes - Disney is very clean :mickey:

merlinmagic4
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
I think it's clean :thumbsup:

Darin M
03-31-2007, 08:12 AM
The park is clean, but the water sure aint. Have you tasted it recently? The water purification system must be Davy Jones Locker. In true Disney format, if the water was animated, it would be a villain. It stinks!

Even Crystal lite and Kool-Aid cant help water that tastes as if its been through Ursula's sweaty cleavage.

jennifer99
03-31-2007, 08:30 AM
I also vote for clean. I can only recall one time in the past 4 years that I thought one of the public bathrooms needed some attention. Disney does a great job with keeping the parks clean. That is a large part of their appeal for me. The attention to detail at WDW is something we have seen in very few of the other places we have traveled - not that we are world travelers by any means unless you count WDW:)

Fun post! Thank you:mickey:

Milan23
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
We went to Disneyland for the first time in 1987 and one of my biggest memories of the trip is how my grandma raved for days about how clean their bathrooms were. After that we couldn't go to another park without her comparing it to Disneyland. :D

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
It's not as clean as it used to be but compared to other parks I've been to, it's spotless :mickey:

Exactly what I think!:mickey:

indytraveler
03-31-2007, 10:58 AM
I think it's clean, but not like it use to be. Exmple in the parks themselves. Where I notice it the most is the dropping, spilling of popcorn, ice cream and the like. Back in the day, '70's and early '80's there use to be several "broom guys" patrolling an area where if anything spilled they were there to pick it up. Where there was say 10 people on the lookout in an area there may be fewer than 3 and they are walking a bigger area. The sounds of the hand held dust collectors hitting the sidewalks to pick up the smallest of trash is not heard any more.

As far as the bathrooms are concerned, I use the ones where not everyone uses. I'm sure most of you use the same ones. These are the ones that stay clean all day long. The high traffic ones do get a little messy but there is usually someone on sight most of the day.

Overall, I'd rate it clean. B

Speedy1998
03-31-2007, 01:11 PM

I completely agree, but I have often wondered if that is Disney not doing as much mouskeeping as they used too, or is that people are less considerate than they used to be and do not clean up after themselves. Or is it a little of both?

CraniumCommando
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
I tend to agree with most of the posters that it is very clean, but maybe not as clean as it used to be.

But I wonder if that has a lot to do with perception. My first trip to WDW I remember the parks being pristine. I was amazed at how clean and beautiful everything was. But since it was all so new to me, I may have noticed it more. Now when I go, I am comparing the current cleanliness to my memories of my first visit. That may distort reality a little. Just a thought.

Disney is still cleaner than any other park I've been to.

JRocker
03-31-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm just curious as to what time period you guys are referring to when you refer to 'the past', or 'used to'?

Did they 'used to' polish the sidewalks? Or maybe 'in the past' they would have Lysol spritzers shooting out a pleasant smell every six feet?

I guess I'll have to disagree with the majority, or maybe I haven't been going long enough. WDW is the benchmark in cleanliness and always has been. I have yet to see any signs at all that it has gotten worse than what it was.

My last trip I was getting a good laugh at the birds getting frustrated with a cast member, because he was beating them to the popcorn on the sidewalk.

Maybe 'in the past' the popcorn would have never hit the pavement.:D

luvindisney
03-31-2007, 03:20 PM
I think that everywhere in WDW is very clean. Even the restrooms there seem spotless. I have never experienced a problem with garbage cans or dirt which is surprising considering how people nowadays feel that they can do anything they want anywhere they want.

PeterPan
03-31-2007, 03:38 PM
The fact is, the maintenence budget WAS CUT. It would take a very discerning eye to see it, but the parks simply are not as clean as they formally were. The manpower was cut, and the hours were cut.

However, if it was an "A plus" in former times, it is still an "A" now.

Kairi_7378
03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
It's very clean... in the counter service restaurants, they have roving cast members cleaning the tables almost as soon as people get up!

mickey98
03-31-2007, 10:21 PM
It is clean in comparison to other theme parks, however the cleanliness is slipping over the years,, it is not what it used to be......

goofygirl67
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
They may have cut the cleaning crew down but was smart in getting more birds and squirells to get the popcorn up. The WDW is the cleanest of any parks I have seen.

Donald A
04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Considering the way people in today's world have no respect for any one else or their property, I would have to say they do a good job at WDW keeping things clean.

GINNY69
04-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I think WDW is very clean !! I always see a CM walking around with a broom in his hand picking up something of the ground. It's one of the cleanest places I ever seen.. I know some people say that there is room for improvement, but you know what I am in WDW the happiest place on earth , I am too busy having a good time. I don't think about looking around for spilled ice-cream on the ground .. Some people are just slobs and don't pick up after themselves.. Yeah Disney is one of the cleanest and most picturesque places I ever been too..

:mop:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Certainly cleaner than Six Flags type parks, but not as clean as when my wife and I made our first trips to WDW back in the mid-80s.
The main thing I notice is the how certain areas have been allowed to deteriorate. Now we seeing peeling paint in some places and we NEVER saw that back in the 80s or early 90s.
Thanks to some medication I'm on I get to see almost every bathroom in the parks over the course of a trip and while they normally are quite clean, there have some that looked like they hadn't been visited by a cleaning crew in hours.:ack:

breezysmom
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The park is clean, but the water sure aint. Have you tasted it recently? The water purification system must be Davy Jones Locker. In true Disney format, if the water was animated, it would be a villain. It stinks!

Even Crystal lite and Kool-Aid cant help water that tastes as if its been through Ursula's sweaty cleavage.

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick:

battle beast
04-01-2007, 08:50 PM
DIsney keeps it's parks VERY clean. Everything is immaculet, INHO, except for smoking areas which are just disgusting all around. IMHO.

I thought the park looked very clean when I was there.

MrPeetrie
04-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately, I am never able to attend during peak seasons because that's my company's busiest time of the year, but on the off-peak vacations I've attended (May, October, Christmas between holidays) it is extremely clean.

Bear in mind, this is a mammoth 47 sq. mi. themed resort we're talking about, not just one building or park. I think they do an amazing job at keeping things very tidy. Of course, I'm from Pittsburgh and I have Kennywood to compare it to. If none of you have visited Kennywood, while it's a quaint park, it is not very clean.

tinksmom02
04-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I agree 100%! I actually noticed how clean the bathrooms were in WDW on our last trip. I have a tiny bladder AND a 4year old, so I was in a lot of bathrooms LOL and we didn't find one mess in a stall, every single stall had TP and the seat covers, paper towels, etc. Would I eat off the floor? Defnitely not LOL but it's nice to use a public restroom that's not a filty disgusting mess.

AwPhooey
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone else: cleaner than any other park I've been to, but not as clean as it used to be.

I remember during one of my first trips to WDW, there were always CMs out sweeping up trash, etc. I've never seen any huge messes, but I have seen popcorn boxes on the ground, something I don't think I could have said 20 years ago.

Clotho
04-02-2007, 01:35 AM
I can attest that at least one Six Flags park has sent business the way of Disney...exactly because of how disgustingly dirty and depressingly un-cared for it was.

Hubby and I went to WDW in 2004, and I have been pining to get back. But he said that he felt it was important that we visit some other locations around the world first before we head back to The World. I grudgingly agreed.

Skip back to last summer. Six Flags had taken over the ONLY local theme park years ago, and we had never gone. Mainly because the price shot through the roof, but the improvements made seemed to be small (you can see it from the freeway). We had read bad review after bad review, and warned over and over that the price was too high, and the park was shambles. But I was too curious to stay away, and had been dying for a theme park fix. So I insisted we go check it out...

It was as bad as they say. Honestly, some of the newer sections were pretty nicely themed, but the upkeep was dismal, and though it was Labor Day Weekend (my birthday!), nearly every little kiosk was closed (I suspect it wasn't open all summer with the way they looked). The only place to eat was a SUBWAY SANDWICH HUT (unless you count the ice cream stand), and the sandwiches were double the usual prices. No exaggeration--DOUBLE ($11 for a Subway sandwich??!!)

We wandered around further, and saw miserable signs of disrepair. Paint peeling, pine needles and leaves rotting where they had not been cleaned away, attractions that had closed a decade ago, but never removed and simply left without any attention and became nothing more than a spot for mice and rats to fester in storage sheds, trash trash trash EVERYWHERE.

The park before Six Flags was little more than a glorified traveling carnival--the ****** (rhymes with nappy) old 1970's portable rides put in semi-permanent housings. Those rides? Still there! I think possibly even the same machinery! A few rides that have been added since are permanent, lovely structures (albeit a pale attempt at revitalization); but some which had been added are simply MORE lame, portable carnival rides! Sum total: one really good wooden coaster, one not-good coaster with loops which is jerky and so short they have people ride twice, a semi-okay log ride, one "hammer" type ride themed to the added area, and then three or four lame portable rides with no theming or decoration to hide the fact.

As the day got more and more depressing (despite running into some friends randomly who were celebrating another birthday! that was probably the only highlight), we drove home. I grumbled the entire way about what a horrible park experience it was, and how totally spoiled I have become thanks to Disney!

About 4 hours later, I literally stamped my foot and stated, 'That's IT! I AM PLANNING A RETURN DISNEY WORLD VACATION!

Hubby agreed.

We go this September, almost a year to the day of the dismal Six Flags experience, to celebrate my birthday the way it SHOULD be!

We Disney fans are spoiled. And we deserve it. Everyone does. Six Flags Magic Mountain was better than our local, though not at all on par with Disney. At least they have some of the best coasters in the country...but Disney wins the cleanness award hands down!

Rodders
04-02-2007, 05:54 AM
The place is spotless. I have been 3 times 1980, 2000 and 2005. I was too young to even notice cleanliness the first time so I couldn't possibly compare it with now. In my 2 recent trips I was amazed by how clean they keep it.

PETE FROM NYC
04-02-2007, 01:44 PM
We just got back on 3/18,eight days of theme parks.The only mess I saw was one rest room that had towel litter on the floor.
Travelling with my nephew who has ADD,he was super fussy.But he managed to do what he needed .
Disney parks are being kept as clean as possible.
I think littering is a capital offense in WDW.

Disney Doll
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I've always been very happy with the cleanliness of WDW. When you consider the number of people they clean up after each day, it's amazing they are able to do such a good job. I remember feeling guilty on one occasion after I dropped a few pieces of popcorn on the ground because a woman with a broom magically appeared and cleaned my spill within seconds. It was so surprising because you don't see that kind of attention to cleanliness at other parks.

4ubie1
04-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I have to agree with most and say that it isn't as clean as it use to be but it is definately cleaner the it's competition. Last time i went, i was able to go to Sea World first. It was like night and day. Granted they are two totally different parks in concept but their maintenance and upkeep were totally different. WDW was by far the better kept and cleaner park. :thumbsup:

AliceinDisney
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Disneyworld is the cleanest theme park in the world I believe. Canada's Paramount Wonderland is pretty clean too. So was Busch Gardens. But I definitely think Disney is a stickler for cleanliness. Walt was a huge clean freak. He didn't want any gum on the sidewalks, and he didn't want any garbage. That was his huge peeve from the dirty old Fairs and amusment parks he'd been too.

Dsnygirl
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
:mickey: Absolutely!! Compared to some of the other amusement parks I've been to, you can probably eat off the pavement! (Not that I ever would... unless I dropped a piece of Mickey Bar chocolate...:blush: ) I think the staff does a GREAT job keeping the park beautiful!! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-03-2007, 09:03 AM
The mineral content in the water in Florida is probably different than what you're used to. Higher levels of sulfur can make the water smell and taste different, but tap water is purified to the required standards and is fine to drink.

As far as WDW being clean--I have been going there since the 70's and have not seen a significant deterioration in it's cleanliness. Considering how large it's grown over the years, I think that's pretty impressive.

disney323
04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Cleaner than most palces you may go with the amount of people that go trough. It used to be much cleaner. I think most people don't care about picking up after themselves like how I was raised. I is amazing how many people just toss the trash on the ground when a trash can is just a short distance away.

MrPeetrie
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
In the book Keys to the Kingdom: Seven Secrets to Disney's Success, the fictional character is invited to a speech delivered by Michael Eisner. There, Eisner replies to a question regarding Disney's cleanliness by stating there are approximately 55,000 custodians, including him. In other words, Disney has done such a magnificent job with its cast members during "traditions," that each member is also a part of the custodial staff. That is one reason the parks are so clean!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BrerSchultzy
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
As far as WDW being clean--I have been going there since the 70's and have not seen a significant deterioration in it's cleanliness. Considering how large it's grown over the years, I think that's pretty impressive.

That's almost exactly what I was going to say. For everyone blaming Eisner for cutting the budgets on maintenance and custodians, remember...if not for Eisner, we'd still have two parks and 7 hotels...if that...don't forget, Paramount was making a bid to buy WDW when Eisner took over.

Now, if you give him credit for more than doubling the size of WDW, THEN you can blame him for it being dirtier...cuz there's more guests and more space to cover. But all in all, I can't say I've noticed a severe decline anywhere, except maybe in the Mousekeeping at some of the resorts...but the same thing applies. When you only need 100 mousekeepers, you hire the 100 best. When you need 1000, then you have to take what you can get.

Just my .02

BelleandtheBeast
04-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Squeaky Clean!!!!!!!!!!

Imakejessicarabbitjelous
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
i think disney is really clean compared to theme parks over here in the UK. Not that over here in the UK is dirty but we are let down by our themem parks and their rubbish all over the floor etc.

alicia524luvstw
04-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Quite clean. It's amazing with all the people that go through each day that it remains as clean. Its gotta be tough too when the park stays open late then reopens early the next morning.

squijee
04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
i think disney is the cleanest....a little off track but some of the best inside info you will ever get about the parks and everything else comes from the street sweepers...stop and talk to one sometime:mickey:

King Triton
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Maybe my eyesight is getting worse, but it still boggles my mind how new WDW (specifically MK) looks after 35 years.